Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

[quote name='Lyricsborn']Don't be Afraid of the Dark- A bit like the Happening.[/QUOTE]

Definitely not going to see it after that comment :lol:

[quote name='Halo05']9th Company - A relatively recent (2005) Russian movie about their war in Afghanistan during the 80s. I'm dying to know how accurate their portrait of Soviet boot camp was because... just wow. Good stuff. Like Full Metal Jacket, it's split between basic training and the actual war. The final scene is historically-based although it is heavily exaggerated. Which is a shame because the actual battle that it was based on doesn't really need any embellishment. Sort of a disservice if you know what I mean. Still, if you can deal with some awkward subtitles, it's worth a Netflix viewing.[/QUOTE]

I remember watching a movie when I was younger that is sort of similar. It was called "the beast". It was about a Soviet tank crew in Afghanistan. If the subject matter interests you, then you might want to check it out.

El Topo - I recommend this movie. Don't be put off by the craziness of it all. This movie was able to get many emotions out of me and I had such a long discussion about the film with my friends after our viewing that no other movie has ever been able to accomplish.

[quote name='Mayson']I remember watching a movie when I was younger that is sort of similar. It was called "the beast". It was about a Soviet tank crew in Afghanistan. If the subject matter interests you, then you might want to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Ooooh yeah, I forgot all about that movie. I haven't seen it but I'll look for it on Netflix. Actually, it's probably up on my "recommended" list right now.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Good.

I need to start going to the bathroom when pre-movie trailers start playing. Most trailers gives away wayyyy too much about the movie. I am dead sick of trailers being simply montages of the entire movie's content. The In Time trailer sparked this mini rant.

[quote name='dastly75']Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Good.

I need to start going to the bathroom when pre-movie trailers start playing. Most trailers gives away wayyyy too much about the movie. I am dead sick of trailers being simply montages of the entire movie's content. The In Time trailer sparked this mini rant.[/QUOTE]Same. Rise of the Planet of the Apes. A little slow to develop but definitely warrants a sequel.

Source Code

Time travel in itself gives me a headache, but the movie was good and the characters felt human. Will watch again if given a nice rainy day.

Salvage - From a B movie standpoint: not bad for $1 purchase from Blockbuster, one of the actors reallllly sucked, story was okay, music blew, give it a C+. Best part was the camera shots given the apparent budget.

The Conspirator.

Very good movie about the aftermath of the assassination of Lincoln directed by Robert Redford, center on the farce of trial of Mary Surratt.

Lot's of parallels to the aftermath of 9/11 in terms of the government playing the politics of fear, tossing law and rights aside in times of war etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The Conspirator.

Very good movie about the aftermath of the assassination of Lincoln directed by Robert Redford, center on the farce of trial of Mary Surratt.

Lot's of parallels to the aftermath of 9/11 in terms of the government playing the politics of fear, tossing law and rights aside in times of war etc.[/QUOTE]

I saw that movie, it was very good. My favorite part of it was the role of the attorney defending her and what took place among the family,
the mother's love for her son, the daughter for her brother (& mother), and the brother's lack of love for his mother.
I was upset with the government,
but even when the son was tried in civil court with people from the north and south they couldn't come to a decision so I guess the government was right and sometimes someone has to take the fall or let people go free.
At least, back in that time.

Fright Night (2011) - Awesome. Colin Ferrel is a joy for every second of his screen time. Had to see it in 3D and it wasn't bad (it was shot in 3D). Overall, much better than I expected it to be.

[quote name='dastly75']Fright Night (2011) - Awesome. Colin Ferrel is a joy for every second of his screen time. Had to see it in 3D and it wasn't bad (it was shot in 3D). Overall, much better than I expected it to be.[/QUOTE]

Sad it bombed.

I didn't help though since I haven't seen it yet. Is the 3D worth it? So far the only movie I've thought the 3D was worth it was Final Destination 5.

[quote name='whoknows']Sad it bombed.

I didn't help though since I haven't seen it yet. Is the 3D worth it? So far the only movie I've thought the 3D was worth it was Final Destination 5.[/QUOTE]

I had to get 3D since there wasn't any convenient showtimes in regular. The 3D is mostly to add depth though they do some cheesy throw shit at the screen sometimes. Personally, I'd avoid 3D unless something of Avatar's caliber comes up.

[quote name='Oaxan']Source Code

Time travel in itself gives me a headache, but the movie was good and the characters felt human. Will watch again if given a nice rainy day.[/QUOTE]

A really good movie on time travel is "Primer". The plot is a bit confusing, but the handling of the time travel parts is great. It sparks the imagination because it comes across as really plausible.

On topic, I think the last movie I saw that surprised me was Transformers...I guess well just say its been a weak Summer.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The Conspirator.

Lot's of parallels to the aftermath of 9/11 in terms of the government playing the politics of fear, tossing law and rights aside in times of war etc.[/QUOTE]

Just watched this, the whole thing made me rage with the blinding white fury of ten thousands suns. Injustice is NOT something I handle well.
Other than that, it's a great movie. Not much else I can say.

@Tctc, I'll look into it. I find myself watching a lot of movies being mentioned in this thread, most of the time they're really good. Don't let me down now!

Finally got around to wathing Precious. I'm not really sure what to say about the movie other than it is indeed a realistic look at how some people live. If you call it living that is.

[quote name='Oaxan']Just watched this, the whole thing made me rage with the blinding white fury of ten thousands suns. Injustice is NOT something I handle well.
Other than that, it's a great movie. Not much else I can say.

@Tctc, I'll look into it. I find myself watching a lot of movies being mentioned in this thread, most of the time they're really good. Don't let me down now![/QUOTE]

But justice wasn't served when they did it the correct way either.
The son was tried in civil court with south and north jury and they couldn't come to a decision. It was the son's fault he didn't come back and let his mother hang.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']El Topo - I recommend this movie. Don't be put off by the craziness of it all. This movie was able to get many emotions out of me and I had such a long discussion about the film with my friends after our viewing that no other movie has ever been able to accomplish.[/QUOTE]

This movie is one of my favorites. Makes me sad his Dune never got made. Also sad Jodorowsky didnt get proper credit for the Fifth Element. He and Moebius are a great team and their INCAL comics are almost wholly the Fifth Element.

Any fan of Suda 51 should check out El Topo, I've heard him credit the movie as an influence while hyping Killer 7 for Capcom back in the day.

[quote name='dastly75'] The 3D is mostly to add depth though they do some cheesy throw shit at the screen sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Ugh...I hate that shit. Where it's just sight gags. Reminds me of Friday the 13th Part 3, which was strange to watch in 2D because of all the 3D-specific scenes.

[quote name='Cerebral_One']But justice wasn't served when they did it the correct way either.
The son was tried in civil court with south and north jury and they couldn't come to a decision. It was the son's fault he didn't come back and let his mother hang.
[/QUOTE]

But that's the point of our justice system. Our social contract puts a lot more emphasis on protecting individual rights than giving the government power to punish.

We'd rather some guilty people get off than any innocent people be convicted (much less executed).

In a perfect world everyone who was innocent would be exonerated and everyone who was guilty would be convicted. But that's not possible, and as such it's much better that the burden is on the state to prove guilt as it's much better for a guilty person to walk, than an innocent to lose their life or liberty.

Finally buckled down and watched Tropic Thunder. What a fucking waste of time. That movie is far from funny - I honestly don't buy the hype. Best part was when he flung the little kid from his back. Aside from that, it was a shitty movie.

[quote name='dmaul1114']But that's the point of our justice system. Our social contract puts a lot more emphasis on protecting individual rights than giving the government power to punish.

We'd rather some guilty people get off than any innocent people be convicted (much less executed).

In a perfect world everyone who was innocent would be exonerated and everyone who was guilty would be convicted. But that's not possible, and as such it's much better that the burden is on the state to prove guilt as it's much better for a guilty person to walk, than an innocent to lose their life or liberty.[/QUOTE]

Well said. I still blame the son more than the government. A family member is on trial to be hanged and he leaves her to die when he had the power to stop it. The reality of our world is that often individuals suffer for the greater good, a consequence of government.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']Please don't. It's starts off well then you just start realizing how dumb it is. Not scary at all.[/QUOTE]

I didn't listen and went and watched it out of boredom (and because Fright Night was 3D only)

I should have stayed bored. I nearly walked out.

[quote name='Oaxan']I am Number Four

It was physically painful to watch.[/QUOTE]

What? You don't like flashlight hands? :lol:

[quote name='crushtopher']Finally buckled down and watched Tropic Thunder. What a fucking waste of time. That movie is far from funny - I honestly don't buy the hype. Best part was when he flung the little kid from his back. Aside from that, it was a shitty movie.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree that movie was absolute shit.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Completely agree that movie was absolute shit.[/QUOTE]

I think it starts off pretty funny but quickly slides into "meh" territory about 30 minutes in. My favorite part was when he was using the director's head as a puppet.

I had the misfortune of watching Tropic Thunder in the cinema... what a riveting experience.. not! film blows.

Watched Hanna the other night, saw it at the cinema but DVD just came out. I still like it, especially Eric Bana hes definitely one of my favourite actors.

Thor

It didn't suck, but it wasn't good either. Was a lot like another Marvel movies I could mention... *coughfantasticfourriseofthesilversurfercough*

[quote name='gbpackers94']I agree Tropic Thunder didn't live up to the hype, but I thought it was still enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

This is where my feelings lie. I thought the big budget special effects were largely wasted, but I did enjoy the comedy.

I found Robert Downey Jr's one-note joke to be stale and tiresome. But I did think Ben Stiller's character was funny, his relationship with his agent was funny in an unexpected wtf way, and I thought Jack Black was hilarious. I normally don't even like Jack Black but his performance here was awesome.

Just finished watching Kevin Smith's new movie Red State. I thought the preacher parts went on a bit long, but Kevin does love his exposition. Once the movie takes off, it never stops going. Epic gunfight at the climax kept me on the edge of my seat.

Well worth the $10 to rent on VOD especially considering the non-traditional route that Kev chose to go through for this movie. I definitely recommend everyone to check it out on VOD, or if you can wait til October 18th, itll be out on DVD & Blu-Ray.

Turbulent Skies - 2/5 - Starship Troopers star Casper Van Dien is up against a AI controlled flight that has been infected by a "zip bomb" ...oh and Brad Dourif is in the movie. Brad Dourif is the voice of everyone's favorite killer doll, Chucky incase you weren't aware. Movie is ass terrible. It gets along, u can laugh a bit about how stupid the actual machine looks, how pale one girls face is or just the general stupid idea of this movie. After a disaster this company decides to launch this prototype automated flight computer with 40 passengers as a PR stunt. Now you would think with a title like Turbulent Skies that there is some super storm that causes this renegade aircraft but nope. Simply a CEO uploads some files to their specialized and specific hardware which gets infected by a seemingly generic computer virus. Very lame but you may find some fun to be had laughing at the film.

The Art of Steal - 3/5 - Documentary about Dr. Barnes' art collection which is considered one of the greatest collections of all time and the drama that ensued after his death. Not wanting to spoil the arch of the story, you get to know Barnes and his dislike to the art critics and museums which wrote some scathing reviews of his collection. Because of this and a friend losing his collection to the city after his death Barnes concocted a Will which would make it all but impossible to move, loan, or sell the collection from the Barnes home. As time goes on, powerful curators and politicians in Philadelphia start poking holes at Barnes Will in hopes of getting the collection for themselves.

Make Believe - 4/5 - Surprisingly charming and enjoyable story of the World Champion Magician Teen Championship where the best teens compete for one of the most prestigious awards in magic. This documentary follows 6 teens as they go for the title Teen World Champion. I guess since I wasn't familiar with the young magic scene it was interesting to see how some awkward kids are able to become extremely confident through their stage performances. One example of a foreigner competing in Vegas for the title was a couple of kids from Cape Town South Africa. Cape Town has a college of magic which teaches these kids how to improve their skills. I didn't expect much going into this movie, I put it on as a background thing as i browsed the web but I ended up setting the laptop aside to see how these kids are being mentored by local shops or in some cases just finding books or videos and developing their skills through those means.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']Apollo 18- Save your cash.[/QUOTE]

Has an 18 on Metacritic. Damn.

What's so bad about it? I kinda wanted to see it

^ i liked how nasa had to do a press release stating the movie was fiction and not based on any true events. I was also semi-interested in seeing it.

[quote name='naiku']^ i liked how nasa had to do a press release stating the movie was fiction and not based on any true events. I was also semi-interested in seeing it.[/QUOTE]

they had to because a long standing rumor about why nobody ever went back to the moon was because aliens told them to stay away. seems odd that theyd spend money on that crap space station and not just build something on the moon............

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Much like The Karate Kid, I saw no need for them to remake Fright Night. The original was fucking awesome.[/QUOTE]

i agree with you but like the horror whore i am im going to see the fright night remake eventually. they cast a good geek for the geeky friend role but i dont see how colin farrel will do a convincing vampire.

warning to any and all zombie fans never watch the day of the dead remake ever unless youre dying to see nick cannon die.

[quote name='lokizz']warning to any and all zombie fans never watch the day of the dead remake ever unless youre dying to see nick cannon die.[/QUOTE]

I've heard that's unbelievably bad, I intend on never seeing it.

seems odd that theyd spend money on that crap space station and not just build something on the moon............

You can't seriously think that building something on the moon would have been a better idea...

bread's done
Back