Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

It's time for the sixth annual "Zatoichi Asian Film Festival" and you're invited!

Every summer my friends and I gather roughly 40 asian films (Japan, Korea, Thailand, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, India) to watch over the span of 6 days. We're looking to have more people join us this and partake in the festivities since we've built up a 12 foot projection screen, complete with 5.1 surround sound. If you're interested, please send a PM.

The selection process is going to happen sometime over the next two weeks and we'd be more than happy if anyone wanted to join us in it. We've got a ready-made list of potential films to scour through, and depending on how many people become involved, we'll evenly split the selections among us.

The event is located in NJ and so if you're in the neighborhood sometime around June or July, let us know and we'll work something out with you.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']^This, and I can't believe Chuck Norris wants to ruin the sequel!

Why Chuck why?
:cold:[/QUOTE]
Yeah Stallone should have told him to fuck off, I mean actually told him "Hey Chuck, fuck off".

Cabin in the Woods - 4/5 - Going into this movie I didn't know much about it. I was pleasently surprised by how much humor there was in the movie. Also the amount of blood and gore was quite good, which has been absent in recent modern horror films. This movie starts off with 2 guys in lab coats talking about their day to day and suddenly the movie title pops up with dramatic music. This sets the pace of the random funny moments in Cabin. For a horror movie to take its horror story line seriously but also to be quite fun is hard to do. The balance between humor and seriousness often is failed in horror films. Cabin seems to succeed in both cases. Cabin will definitely keep you entertained and make you wonder how a movie like this even got made. I do not believe Cabin will be as enjoyable the second time around...but first time through its a riot.

Cabin in the Woods - A must see if you like horror movies. Does what should have been done with horror movie tropes a long time ago. Very glad a movie like this could be made. If you liked Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, then you will like this.

Slumber Party Massacre- Decent Slasher
Friday the 13th Part 2- meh
The Raid- Best action movie I've seen in a while
Cabin in the Woods- A lot funnier than scary, but still entertaining
Lockout- Guy Pearce was probably the best part of the movie, everything else was kind of dull.

Saw Hunger Games. I haven't read the books but now I want to.

Movie would have benefited greatly from a better director and another hour of running time to flesh things out.

Still, not a bad movie - but it's easy to see it could have been great - and that stings.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - Seeing as I'm not the biggest fan of Cruise or the other three MI movies, I didn't have the highest hopes going into this, but I was pleasantly surprised.

[quote name='Broseph']Saw Hunger Games. I haven't read the books but now I want to.

Movie would have benefited greatly from a better director and another hour of running time to flesh things out.

Still, not a bad movie - but it's easy to see it could have been great - and that stings.[/QUOTE]

I liked the first book a lot and I thought the movie was 20 min too long!

[quote name='Tsel']Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - Seeing as I'm not the biggest fan of Cruise or the other three MI movies, I didn't have the highest hopes going into this, but I was pleasantly surprised.[/QUOTE]
It wasn't good, it wasn't bad. I did a blind buy and kind of regret it, but at least I have all four in the collection. Just felt like an awkward action film to me, that couldn't decide on suspense or humor. The suspense when it's good, is really good but never quite seemed to get to the top of the rollercoaster. Most of the humor falls flat (fucking Simon Pegg. . .) but it has its moments.

Hopefully it drops in price so I can get a few bucks back, but it's worth owning at $10 or less.

Lethal Weapon Trilogy.

The first one was the best. Probably won't watch the fourth. South African chick was hot as hell. Bad guys in late-80s-to-mid-90s action movies sure fucking loved their helicopters.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The Help.

Thought it was very good.[/QUOTE]
When my fiance took me to see that I thought it was going to be horrible, but I haven't laughed that hard at a movie in a while. I know it wasn't a comedy, and certainly got the importance of the subject matter, but a few of the women in that movie were just hilarious.

[quote name='Clak']When my fiance took me to see that I thought it was going to be horrible, but I haven't laughed that hard at a movie in a while. I know it wasn't a comedy, and certainly got the importance of the subject matter, but a few of the women in that movie were just hilarious.[/QUOTE]

Plus, y'know, Emma Stone is pretty easy on the eyes.

[quote name='Broseph']Saw Hunger Games. I haven't read the books but now I want to.

Still, not a bad movie - but it's easy to see it could have been great - and that stings.[/QUOTE]

Replace movie and director with book and author and you have my exact feelings on the book. Well, minus the run time stuff.

Saw Cabin In The Woods today, brilliant movie. Probably helped that I'm a huge Whedon fan. I really wouldn't be surprised if the movie
takes place in the Buffy/Angel universe. The organization in the movie gave off really strong Wolfram & Hart type vibes and seems like it would fit in perfectly.

[quote name='The Crotch']Lethal Weapon Trilogy.

The first one was the best. Probably won't watch the fourth. South African chick was hot as hell. Bad guys in late-80s-to-mid-90s action movies sure fucking loved their helicopters.[/QUOTE]

the 4th one sucks skip it the first 3 are amazing but yeah 1 is the best.

I don't think Lethal Weapon 4 is that bad. It's not as good as the first 3 by any means, but I don't find it awful or unwatchable. Still an entertaining flick IMO.

the only thing i liked about lw4 was rigs becoming more like his partner and realizing it. them shoehorning in chris rock was very annoying.

Caught Piranha tonight and for a slasher-ish B-movie, it's actually pretty damn good. Tons of gore and people end up looking like zombies ha. I won't spoil the opener, but it's clearly an homage to Jaws and pays its respects well.

The only oddity is when Christopher Lloyd shows up halfway through as Doc Brown. Not really, but he plays his role exactly like he did in BttF. If nothing else, its worth seeing just for him being kooky lol.

[quote name='lokizz']the only thing i liked about lw4 was rigs becoming more like his partner and realizing it. them shoehorning in chris rock was very annoying.[/QUOTE]

Agreed and Jet Li was pretty bad ass even if he was a villain.

Joe Pesci in the other movies was much better in that role than Chris Rock.

District B13 (3.5/5 GhostShark Points) - Solid French action film. The writing and dialogue was pretty cheesy and generic of it's genre, but the idea and setting of the film was pretty unique. I'm not a huge fan of parkour or whatever, but mixing it with martial arts seemed fun.

Doctor Strange (5/5 GhostShark Points) - Watched it in HD now that it is on Netflix and I'm remembering why it's my favorite Marvel animated film. The characters of Mordo, Wong and Strange are all so spot on with their comic counterparts and the visuals are pretty good as well. After watching it, I want a Doctor Strange live action film more than ever now.

[quote name='GhostShark']Doctor Strange (5/5 GhostShark Points) - Watched it in HD now that it is on Netflix and I'm remembering why it's my favorite Marvel animated film. The characters of Mordo, Wong and Strange are all so spot on with their comic counterparts and the visuals are pretty good as well. After watching it, I want a Doctor Strange live action film more than ever now.[/QUOTE]

I liked it but they have to change up that invisible dragon ghost stuff - it's played.

I would like to see Doctor Strange team up with someone. I was thinking it would be cool if he teamed up with Iron Man to take out the Mandarin.

Titanic 3d- 3d was pretty subtle for the most part. Happy I got to see it on the big screen. This movie is what made me a DiCaprio fan.

Kiki's Delivery Service- Loved it. Only a few minor problems with the DVD, since the voice actress for Kiki sounds a bit warbled. Must've been from the remaster of the 90s dub.

J. Edgar- Clint Eastwood does it again. If he ever makes a Bobby Kennedy movie... Didn't really understand the fuss over supposed depiction of Hoover as a homosexual, as Eastwood make him out to be a much more complicated, and pitiful, man.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Kiki's Delivery Service- Loved it. Only a few minor problems with the DVD, since the voice actress for Kiki sounds a bit warbled. Must've been from the remaster of the 90s dub.

J. Edgar- Clint Eastwood does it again. If he ever makes a Bobby Kennedy movie... Didn't really understand the fuss over supposed depiction of Hoover as a homosexual, as Eastwood make him out to be a much more complicated, and pitiful, man.[/QUOTE]

Eastwood was the one making a fuss.

The Grey is so god awful, shutting it off half way -- the "this is fucked city, population 5 and dwindling" line is what tipped the balance.

The plane crash was well done, though.

I get the feeling that I would be unable to follow the plot of The Grey because I'd be yelling "Wolves/snow/fire/bleeding wounds/hypothermia does not work that way!" over everything.

[quote name='panzerfaust']The Grey is so god awful, shutting it off half way -- the "this is fucked city, population 5 and dwindling" line is what tipped the balance.

The plane crash was well done, though.[/QUOTE]

Noooooo LIAM is my hero!!!!!

The Darkest Hour - 4/10

Even though it was just like ur typical Armageddon/War of duh Worlds movie I give it a little credit for being a little original in the enemies and all, but the ending was asine stupid. I see a sequel possible too which lowered the score. Nice to see Olivia Thirlby.

[quote name='blindinglights']Love that movie, especially this part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKU7l5JykIo[/QUOTE]

At the time, I didn't think it was anything special, but I've literally been running through a bunch of the scenes in my mind ever since I watched it. That one right there is definitely one of them. He was probably my favorite character.

bread's done
Back