Surprisingly the Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dark Knight a second time on Friday night with my girlfriend who hadn't seen it yet. Loved it just as much the second time.

Interestingly the one flaw my girlfriend picked out was the same one I did. They didn't do a good job of setting up Harvey's fall. It just wasn't convincing that he'd be swayed by the Joker so easily, and especially that he'd fallen so far that he could kill Gordon's son if the coin fell the right way--it would have been better if he just killed the corrupt cops, mafia guys etc. directly responsible for what happened to him and Rachel.

But that's a minor nitpick in a brilliant movie.

Dragged, kicking and screaming, to see Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Express this weekend.

Despite a few chuckles (Danny McBride is easily the best part of both movies) I was mostly unimpressed.

Justice League: The New Frontier - I hope they make more because it had to be the best stv animation movie I have seen.

Fight Club - First time I have seen it since it was a new release. Good movie that could have been better if it had a better director.

Tomorrow Never Dies
- Another movie I haven't seen since I saw it in the theaters. Bond flicks are a guilty pleasure of mine.

Chronicles of Narnia.

Visually stunning, but there were just too damn many moments where I have to go, "Wait. That doesn't make sense." for me. On the plus side, I caught a reference to one of CS Lewis' apologetics books that I apparently missed when I was 8.

Or that wasn't in the books at all, and someone decided to throw in that line just for the hell of it.

Mama Mia

>> I enjoyed the film so much..now i love all the songs of abba..meryl streep was great, and of course every one else in that film..its really one of the best musicals! I never thought i'd liked it..:whistle2:#

Hamlet 2.

It was all that I dreamed it would be, and so much more. Gets my vote for funniest movie of the summer, without hesitation.

[quote name='anomynous']Sunshine
Bad ass, Cillian Murphy needs to be in more movies[/quote]

See Breakfast on Pluto and The Wind That Shakes the Barley, if you haven't already. Excellent performances from him in both of them.

[quote name='bmachine']Hamlet 2.

It was all that I dreamed it would be, and so much more. Gets my vote for funniest movie of the summer, without hesitation.

[/quote]

Really? I wanted to look forward to it but some wary reviews suggested that the funniest parts aren't until the end or it's very hit or miss on a lot of the jokes. Is that not true?

Tropic Thunder

Much much more enjoyable than I expected

Everyone talks about Robert Downey Jr's performance, but I thought Tom Cruise was great in it

[quote name='dastly75']Really? I wanted to look forward to it but some wary reviews suggested that the funniest parts aren't until the end or it's very hit or miss on a lot of the jokes. Is that not true?[/quote]

Yeah, I thought it was great...maybe it's just my sense of humor (I'm the guy that didn't like Pineapple Express or Tropic Thunder) but I laughed fairly regularly throughout. Comedy is a crapshoot...I can imagine a lot of people being put off by this, but it really worked for me.

[quote name='bmachine']Hamlet 2.

See Breakfast on Pluto and The Wind That Shakes the Barley, if you haven't already. Excellent performances from him in both of them.[/QUOTE]

*adds to Netflix*

Across the Universe. Loved it. It's a musical with all Beatles songs and set during the late 60s in the US (so Vietnam, War protests etc.).

I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry.

It started off pretty mediocre but thankfully became more and more hilarious as the movie progressed on. The taxi scene, wedding slap, drunk bum and the lawyer's brother just about killed me. It also made me a believer concerning the Jessica Biel hype. She's just... my god she came a long way from 7th Heaven. Gorgeous. :hot: :drool:

[quote name='Koggit']Tropic Thunder

Much much more enjoyable than I expected

Everyone talks about Robert Downey Jr's performance, but I thought Tom Cruise was great in it[/QUOTE]

I thought it was good too, but just got back from Pineapple Express and it was better. God I haven't laughed so hard in a while.

Deathrace (2008)

I was expecting the worst, but I was actually pleasantly surprised. Granted, you're going to want to leave your brain at the door, but it's a pretty entertaining film if you just want to watch a violent action flick.

As for its faithfulness to Deathrace 2000, well, outside of Frank the ties were severed quite a bit. Twisted Metal: The Movie would have been a more accurate title.

Tropic Thunder.

Very funny, great acting and self-referencing satire.

I'd watch it again happily, but I don't know that I'd pay to see it twice.

Arlington Road

Tim Robbins gave one hell of a solid performance and delivered one of the few "surprise endings" I honestly hadn't expected.

[quote name='darthbudge']Barton Fink 4/5

Excellent.[/QUOTE]

"Jesus people are cruel. If it's not my weight, it's my disposition."

Outstanding movie, as usual from the Cohen's!

[quote name='Liquid 2']Speed Racer (2008)

Such a good movie. :rofl:
The kid still sucks ass.[/quote]

Yes! The kid and Chim Chim totally knocked the film down a bit. It would have been so much better without them.

[quote name='darthbudge']Yes! The kid and Chim Chim totally knocked the film down a bit. It would have been so much better without them.[/QUOTE]
The kid would have been fine if it weren't for him interfering with the
kissing scenes and the scene where Speed turned down Royalton's offer and where he was watching Caza Cristo but acting like such a huge dumb ass.

He had a far larger role than he deserved.

This was my second time seeing it, and the kid was more annoying than ever. I keep hoping for a director's cut where they remove that trash or something.

The Onion Movie - I was disappointed that it couldn't get past making yet another dick and fart joke movie. A few funny parts but most of it is recycled jokes that have been done better in other movies.

The Bank Job - A good heist flick that just kept on getting better as the movie progressed.

I watched a couple of flicks that are yet to be released in the US:

Jump! - A great movie that shows the early days of Nazi Germany/Austria and about Father and Son relationships.

Young People fucking - Meh.

Oh and I tried to watch War Games 2 but I ended up shutting it off after 30 minutes.

This is England

It's powerful and it's definitely not what you'd expect. I liked it.

gta4:
seemed like combo represented dwayne from gta4 (fresh out of prison, all about loyalty) but looked like brucie..wonder if this movie inspired some of the characters in that game

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back