Surprisingly the Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inglorious Basterds - Fantastic movie to end the summer with, one of Tarantino's best, and the cast was great, especially Brad Pitt/Eli Roth.

Inglourious Basterds - Uh, yeah, everything about this movie kicked ass. As good as Brad Pitt & Diane Kruger are in this movie, the dude who plays Hans Landa is the BEST in this movie, and (pending another watch or 2 of this) just might be one of my top 5 best characters Tarantino's ever crafted. The opening scene gives the perfect setup for just what exactly he is capable of.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I'd rather watch paint dry than Julia Roberts.[/QUOTE]

She never bothered me. Not one of my favorites, but she's been very good in some roles IMO (i.e. Erin Brockovitch).

[quote name='Halo05']Children of Men - not as good as I was hoping. pretty cliche ending, I saw it coming from a mile away. the most interesting parts were the post-apocalyptic/facist England bits.[/QUOTE]

I love this movie. Yeah, the ending was predictable, but some of the camera work and choreography of scenes was amazing.
Near the end, when he is trying to get to the building, that whole sequence of shit blowing up, him getting shot, etc etc was all done in a single shot. Watch it again and notice there is no cutting to a different angle/camera. Seemed like at least a 5-minute or so sequence. The opening scene when the coffee shop blows up is the same way

[quote name='senorwoohoo']I enjoyed District 9, which I saw last night. The fuckin' clowns behind us kind of ruined the experience, though.[/QUOTE]

We went to see this last night and I was thoroughly disappointed. It had it's moments, but really dragged and got boring in parts.
And how many people got blown up? The first few times were really cool, but after that it was like watching Gallagher smash watermelons over and over.

Inglourious Basterds - I saw the matinee today and boy do I hate noisy old people. It was great but it was very similar to Pulp Fiction. I Know QT also made PF but it is like he went back to his film making roots.

LOL @ ^ I saw Basterds today as well and boy do I hate noisey young bastards. Some guy and his fat lil kid were near the middle of the theatre and the kid wouldn't shut up I assume asking for money because he kept going to get snacks. I'm not even joking he musta left the movie 8 or 9 times between more food/drink/potty. He would run wildly the whole way and everyone noticed him because people would laugh. They kept getting shushed and yea people are annoying...

I enjoyed the movie except it was pretty long. They coulda milked some things a bit less but it was still good. Check it out peoples. :)

Inglourious Basterds - Really awesome. It's less emotionally tuned than Kill Bill and Jackie Brown, and more of the irreverent, violent fun of Pulp Fiction. Props to Tarantino for doing a movie more or less in order, for once. Aldo's eye-tallian was hilarious.

And yeah, I find it kind of hard to place Death Proof in Tarantino's "cannon."

Inglourious basterds - movie was grade A 100% awesomeness. The I talian bit was masterful and hans well what can i say. best character ever. Stigglitz is super cool badass.

Inglourious_Basterds_poster.jpg

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Easily the best film of the year, so far. And it's definitely Tarantino's funniest film, but not near his best overall film. In fact, it's so clearly a comedy, that I have no idea why it's been promoted as drama/action/etc. with just some comedic moments. The whole film is a comedy. Anyways, it truly is a great, great film. There was so many things I loved, and so little I hated. I'll just mention my favorite scene, which wasn't a violent scene, or had any dialogue.
It was the opening of "Chapter 5: Revenge of the Giant Face", as Mélanie Laurent was putting on her red dress and lipstick, with the giant Nazi flags in the background, all to the tune of David Bowie's "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)".
It was so fucking cool. After the film was over, I immediately wanted to watch it again, and can't wait until I can.

A Perfect Getaway - Steve Zahn is always great to watch since Rescue Dawn. As per the low standards of the horror genre, this movie isn't bad. Some cool editing towards the end and consistently good cinematography make it worthwhile as well if you go and see it at a discount movie theater like I did.

Blacula - Average film. Didn't find it boring but not extremely exciting or a must see. If you are into blaxploitation films you probably already seen it.

Another vote for the Basterds.

Here are the films of 2009 breakdown:

Excellent:
Up
Inglorious Basterds
Hangover
Hurt Locker
District 9

Decent but not noteworthy:
Sin Nombre
Star Trek

Disapointing:
I love you Man
Fast and Furious
X-Men Wolverine

Never saw but I heard these movies stink:
Transformers
GI Joe

Not sure what to think of this flick:
Bruno

[quote name='chimpster1313']the dude who plays Hans Landa is the BEST in this movie, and (pending another watch or 2 of this) just might be one of my top 5 best characters Tarantino's ever crafted. The opening scene gives the perfect setup for just what exactly he is capable of.[/QUOTE]

This. That guy made the movie, hands down. The character was absolutely brilliant, and the actor captured him flawlessly.

Going into it, I was really excited to see Eli Roth in a good role with a lot of lines, (he's always seemed like such a cool guy IRL. He's certainly not the best writer, but he's a really good director IMO, I like him a lot), but Christoph Waltz completely stole the show away from everybody.

[quote name='sp00ge']I love this movie. Yeah, the ending was predictable, but some of the camera work and choreography of scenes was amazing.
Near the end, when he is trying to get to the building, that whole sequence of shit blowing up, him getting shot, etc etc was all done in a single shot. Watch it again and notice there is no cutting to a different angle/camera. Seemed like at least a 5-minute or so sequence. The opening scene when the coffee shop blows up is the same way
[/QUOTE]

Children of Men is my favorite movie.
And yeah, that shot toward the end is a little over five minutes. I did my midterm in my film class on that scene, so I had to analyze it quite a few times. Though, I did notice something that made me question that shot (I made a conscious effort to look for this because it had been bothering me). When he's running through bus and that lady gets shot, blood splatters onto the camera lens, but by the end of the shot, it's gone. I was curious as to when it actually vanished, so I kept a firm eye on the blood and noticed that most of it disappears during a blur of rubble we see when Theo finally gets inside the building. This made me think they had a subtle little cut in there somewhere, but even after that you can literally watch some of the blood slowly fade off the screen. I'm not familiar with digital effects so I really have no idea how they got rid of the blood, but I just thought I'd bring it up because you seem to be pretty fond of the shot. I did my final on the opening scene ;)

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']

And yeah, that shot toward the end is a little over five minutes. I did my midterm in my film class on that scene, so I had to analyze it quite a few times. Though, I did notice something that made me question that shot (I made a conscious effort to look for this because it had been bothering me). When he's running through bus and that lady gets shot, blood splatters onto the camera lens, but by the end of the shot, it's gone. I was curious as to when it actually vanished, so I kept a firm eye on the blood and noticed that most of it disappears during a blur of rubble we see when Theo finally gets inside the building. This made me think they had a subtle little cut in there somewhere, but even after that you can literally watch some of the blood slowly fade off the screen. I'm not familiar with digital effects so I really have no idea how they got rid of the blood, but I just thought I'd bring it up because you seem to be pretty fond of the shot. I did my final on the opening scene ;)
[/QUOTE]

It was digitally and gradually removed. -IMDB trivia

[quote name='dastly75']It was digitally and gradually removed. -IMDB trivia[/QUOTE]

Ah, good. Glad to hear that. I figured as much but I always had that nagging voice telling me it might not be a single shot.

Did we watch the same movie? I went in expecting Inglorious Basterds to be a great movie with a decent amount of action. I was pretty disappointed.

[quote name='Scorch']Did we watch the same movie? I went in expecting Inglorious Basterds to be a great movie with a decent amount of action. I was pretty disappointed.[/QUOTE]
I can see being disappointed if one was expecting Inglourious Basterds to be a war film instead of just another Tarantino film. The only semi-action flick that Tarantino has done was Kill Bill part 1.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']
[/QUOTE]

Interesting stuff about that ending scene. I kinda wish I still had the DVD around so I could check it out again (it was from the library).

I can see how people liked the movie a great deal but I think I have too many preconceived notions about Clive Owen to like him in the movie. Sin City and Shoot Em Up made me think of him as a permanent badass. He was just kind of swept along throughout Children of Man.

Oh well, I need to drag the lady out to see Inglorious Bastards soon.

The International. Started off slow but there is one scene that saves this film:
the shootout in the art gallery.
The dialogue got a lot better towards the end with Clive Owen deliver some cool lines. Good flick if you can sit and watch.

Agree with the comments about IB. It was absolutely amazing, hilarious and (I thought) well paced. Definitely going to see it again at least once.

[quote name='mcgavin27']scream blacula scream- a very disappointing sequel to blacula.[/QUOTE]

But it has Pam Grier! How can it be a disappointment :(

Where the Buffalo Roam - Fun times for the casual to hardcore H. S. Thompson fan but some may not like it if they are not expecting nonsense. Bill Murray does his own version of Thompson that isn't as good as Depp's but he still nails it. Peter Boyle does a memorable Dr. Gonzo/Lazlo and as usual he is a joy to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joshua - 3/5 - Sam Rockwell again with an amazing performance. Actually everyone in the film has a great performances. Film is sorta funny at some parts where u wonder why its called Joshua and not Abby (mothers name). The mother acts extremely weird and is an outright bitch but whatever.
I get she is mentally breaking down but the film didn't feel like she was mentally breaking until later where she "thinks" she hears them working upstairs
The film really takes shape around the end of the second act and becomes pretty disturbing. I haven't seen Orphan but I imagine its Joshua is a better experience.

Miracle at St. Anna = 3/10 ..... spike lee strikes again with a movie netting negative $35 million

Prince of Darkness - Another great John Carpenter film but I hate it when 30-40 year old's are casts as college students even if they are postgraduate students.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back