Surprisingly the Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
SoloistPoster.jpg

The Soloist (2009)

Waste of time. I've realized Robert Downey Jr. is a terrible actor. Especially when he's trying to be serious. He's comes off as so pompous and fake. I guess he's okay when he's being comedic, (like in Tropic Thunder, obviously). Jamie Foxx completely overshadows him in his performance, as a musician with paranoid schizophrenia, who becomes homeless because of his illness. Despite trying hard, the story fails to be engaging, and if you're anyway tired before watching this film, I'm certain you'll be asleep before the halfway point. I was falling asleep watching it at 11am. This was originally supposed to be released late 2008, with hopes of a shot at a few Oscars. There's no way in hell it'll be nominated for anything this year.

I'm glad Inglorious Basterds is finally out. Now maybe Tarantino can plant his ass in a chair and deliver Whole Bloody Affair, Grindhouse, and Jackie Brown on Blu-Ray. What happened to Jackie Brown? That was supposed to be out this month and it just disappeared off the release lists?

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I'm glad Inglorious Basterds is finally out. Now maybe Tarantino can plant his ass in a chair and deliver Whole Bloody Affair, Grindhouse, and Jackie Brown on Blu-Ray. What happened to Jackie Brown? That was supposed to be out this month and it just disappeared off the release lists?[/QUOTE]

I never bought Kill Bill because I have been waiting for the long rumored director's cut.

[quote name='spoo']I never bought Kill Bill because I have been waiting for the long rumored director's cut.[/QUOTE]

I see the two Kill Bill movies at the store calling out to me but I always hold off. Glad I did, Tarantino promises Whole Bloody Affair is going to come soon now that he's between films, so to speak. Pulp Fiction is a go, and he also promised a spliced Grindhouse. It's just Jackie Brown that mysteriously disappeared.

Anyways, back on track. I saw Haunting In Connecticut. Not too bad. Really creepy though, especially the documentary in the special features. Holy shit! I've been looking up pictures of ectoplasm on Google Images and now I'm having trouble going to sleep. Creeped me the fuck out.

ear-ectoplasm.jpg

I went ahead and bought the Kill Bill movies on Blu a while back.

I had been holding out for the Whole Bloody Affair for a long time, and finally said screw it. I doubt I'd ever sit and watch the whole thing at once anyway. But I may crack and upgrade if it ever comes out and trade the regular versions on Goozex.

I do want the whole Grindhouse though as that works best with both movies, all the fake trailers etc. as shown in theaters.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']The Last House On The Left (2009)

Brutal. Might have liked it more than the original.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? More than the original?

[quote name='saunderscowie']Rear Window[/QUOTE]
Did you love it?

As for me on the Kill Bill thing, vol.1 + 2 look incredible on Blu Ray. I'll probably sell them or something when The full uncut edition is eventually released.

[quote name='gregthomas77']Seriously? More than the original?[/QUOTE]

The original was way crueler. This one felt more, well, real. Violence was realer too, if not subdued quite a bit from the original's super violence.
The parents felt more like "Oh fuck these guys, we're gonna get revenge but whatever improvise quick" rather than the meditated torture of the original. I personally felt it was a better depiction of their reaction.

went to see final destination 3d, snuck into h2 and inglorious. my semi short and very quickly written reviews of the films. I put it in spoilers because they are long and loads of bitching.

Final Destination 3d - 2/5 -
A fun experience. If you dont care about character development and just fun way to kill off teens in 3d, this film delivers. Its worth repeating this movie isn't good at all. I dont think at one moment I took this film seriously which made the experience great.
whats the deal with them not realizing they are immortal if they attempt to kill themselves. he black guy clearly stated, I tried to kill myself 3 times now and i wont die.
you get some creative kills in the film and some solid gore. Nothing to be squeamish at but definitely enjoyable if you want creative kills in 3d.

Halloween 2 - 2/5 -
I felt upset after seeing Halloween 2. It was one of the films I was most looking forward to in 2009. Sadly it didn't deliver what I wanted. First halloween does some things well, the vicious barrage of stabs early in the film feels extremely real and with such force its disturbing. One editing choice of not showing the death of
ann in the house
but having the audio play over the next scene was awesome. It felt like those times when u are listening in on someone's argument but to the way extreme where they are being brutally attacked and leaving yourself to fill in the visuals. The things where Halloween 2 falls short is the story and dream sequences. The story at times seems interesting, Malcolm McDowell's character is interesting and his struggles should have some weight but didn't at all. The dream sequences is what most people will complain about since it is the most obvious problem. They don't make sense. One of which is pretty cool and seems to try to fit in.
where michael is standing infront of a table with Laurie laying on it. She needs to be "invited" back into the family. Cool...having a scene where she is trapped in a clear coffin at her mothers feet then having seizure...not cool.
It seems like Rob Zombie came up with a cool idea and just tacked it onto the film. Where the film doesn't fall short is the pacing. It feels right. You are never bored or uninterested. Michael is always looming about or they attempting to develop the story which they don't do well...but something is always happening.

Inglorious Basterds - 3/5 -
It has the same issue as Death Proof. Loads of build up dialog to a climax which ends up being very lack luster. Unlike Death Proof there is some enjoyment with the build up to the climax of the film and you get to meet some very interesting characters. Sounding like a broken record, Christoph Waltz is amazing. He absolutely steals the screen whoever he is up against with the exception of Brad Pitt. Brad holds his own against Christoph. Inglorious does have some humor in the film which helps its long and genuinely uninteresting dialog. The movie begins with a very suspenseful opening sequence which the film never again is able to achieve. There are some cool moments in the film but they are so few and far between you I really found myself wishing Inglourious Basterds was about what it started with and was advertised as. A story of men killing Nazis and collecting scalps.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Final Destination movies are hilarious. People are dying left and right and nobody is emotionally devastated. They're like "Oh shit, he's dead! That sucks, dude. Let's take 10-15 seconds to grieve and go to Dairy Queen, I'm buying."

[quote name='naiku']
It has the same issue as Death Proof. Loads of build up dialog to a climax which ends up being very lack luster. Unlike Death Proof there is some enjoyment with the build up to the climax of the film and you get to meet some very interesting characters. Sounding like a broken record, Christoph Waltz is amazing. He absolutely steals the screen whoever he is up against with the exception of Brad Pitt. Brad holds his own against Christoph. Inglorious does have some humor in the film which helps its long and genuinely uninteresting dialog. The movie begins with a very suspenseful opening sequence which the film never again is able to achieve. There are some cool moments in the film but they are so few and far between you I really found myself wishing Inglourious Basterds was about what is started with and was advertised as. A story of men killing Nazis and collecting scalps.
[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you except for two things. I would have rated it 2/5. And, Christoph Waltz > Brad Pitt.

[quote name='naiku']

Halloween 2 - 2/5 -
I felt upset after seeing Halloween 2. It was one of the films I was most looking forward to in 2009. Sadly it didn't deliver what I wanted. First halloween does some things well, the vicious barrage of stabs early in the film feels extremely real and with such force its disturbing. One editing choice of not showing the death of
ann in the house
but having the audio play over the next scene was awesome. It felt like those times when u are listening in on someone's argument but to the way extreme where they are being brutally attacked and leaving yourself to fill in the visuals. The things where Halloween 2 falls short is the story and dream sequences. The story at times seems interesting, Malcolm McDowell's character is interesting and his struggles should have some weight but didn't at all. The dream sequences is what most people will complain about since it is the most obvious problem. They don't make sense. One of which is pretty cool and seems to try to fit in.
where michael is standing infront of a table with Laurie laying on it. She needs to be "invited" back into the family. Cool...having a scene where she is trapped in a clear coffin at her mothers feet then having seizure...not cool.
It seems like Rob Zombie came up with a cool idea and just tacked it onto the film. Where the film doesn't fall short is the pacing. It feels right. You are never bored or uninterested. Michael is always looming about or they attempting to develop the story which they don't do well...but something is always happening.

It has the same issue as Death Proof. Loads of build up dialog to a climax which ends up being very lack luster. Unlike Death Proof there is some enjoyment with the build up to the climax of the film and you get to meet some very interesting characters. Sounding like a broken record, Christoph Waltz is amazing. He absolutely steals the screen whoever he is up against with the exception of Brad Pitt. Brad holds his own against Christoph. Inglorious does have some humor in the film which helps its long and genuinely uninteresting dialog. The movie begins with a very suspenseful opening sequence which the film never again is able to achieve. There are some cool moments in the film but they are so few and far between you I really found myself wishing Inglourious Basterds was about what it started with and was advertised as. A story of men killing Nazis and collecting scalps.
[/QUOTE]

That's being really generous IMO for Halloween 2. I can't even begin to explain how angry I am over that abomination.

Vertigo

[quote name='Azumangaman']Did you love it?

As for me on the Kill Bill thing, vol.1 + 2 look incredible on Blu Ray. I'll probably sell them or something when The full uncut edition is eventually released.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i've seen it before though, same with Vertigo just decided to re-watch them.

I saw District 9 last night and missed the first ~10 minutes or so (got there late). I hope I didn't miss anything good.

Overall, I liked it a lot, but I didn't really see why everyone is gushing about it. Solid 8.5/10. My fiancee really liked it; she gave it a 9.

Defiance, was that the Daniel Craig movie? If so, yeah that wasn't too bad, I wouldn't say 10/10 though. Maybe 8/10. There was a made for TV movie/miniseries called Uprising. I say go ahead and do a blind buy of the DVD, you'll like it for sure if you dug Defiance.

District 9 - why is everyone going crazy over this movie? I could barely get through half of the movie because it seemed like peter jackson was on crack when he made the movie.

Inglorious Bastards - the first and last parts of the movie were good. The middle could have been cut down a bit.

[quote name='Mex25']District 9 - why is everyone going crazy over this movie? I could barely get through half of the movie because it seemed like peter jackson was on crack when he made the movie.
[/QUOTE]

Peter Jackson didn't make it. Neill Blomkamp did as he was the director and also wrote the screen play (with Terri Tatchell). Jackson was just the producer.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Defiance, was that the Daniel Craig movie? If so, yeah that wasn't too bad, I wouldn't say 10/10 though. Maybe 8/10. There was a made for TV movie/miniseries called Uprising. I say go ahead and do a blind buy of the DVD, you'll like it for sure if you dug Defiance.[/QUOTE]

thanks, ill look into that.

[quote name='Mex25']District 9 - why is everyone going crazy over this movie? I could barely get through half of the movie because it seemed like peter jackson was on crack when he made the movie.[/QUOTE]

I think it's just because it's something original. I personally am not crazy over it. I thought it was really good the first time I saw it. (second time was a little boring).

A movie I don't understand the love for is Inglourious Basterds. It was okay, but best movie of the year? Nah.

Yes Man -- way better than i expected, i want zooey deschanel so hard. i put off seeing this movie forever because i heard it was terrible but i laughed a couple times which is more than i can say for most comedies. way better than liar liar, even though most critics made that comparison unfavorably.

[quote name='Koggit']Yes Man -- way better than i expected, i want zooey deschanel so hard. i put off seeing this movie forever because i heard it was terrible but i laughed a couple times which is more than i can say for most comedies. way better than liar liar, even though most critics made that comparison unfavorably.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call it better than Liar Liar but I would say it was easily Carrey's best movie since Liar Liar The Truman Show (excluding the brilliant Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.) I really enjoyed it, especially if you compare it to the other 90's comedian mega star movies that came out last year; You Don't Mess with the Zohan and The Love Guru.

I'm with you I also have a crush on Zooey Deschanel and my wife is always making fun of me for it. You should check her album with She & Him, it is very good.

Edit: I forgot about The Truman Show, I was disappointed with Man on the Moon.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='coltyhuxx']I felt kind of dicked over by the ending.[/QUOTE]
er personally, I m very much agree with what you said .Appreciate everyone's point of view different from the movie .:)

[quote name='Koggit']Yes Man -- way better than i expected, i want zooey deschanel so hard.[/QUOTE]

500 days of summer. she is so $$$$.

[quote name='fizzywix']Watched a movie I picked up cheap called Ping Pong Playa. Wasn't absolutely terrible like you would think from looking at it.[/QUOTE]

It was actually pretty funny. I guess i found a gangsta bball playing chinese man then teaching ping pong to kids pretty ridiculous. Its definitely good for a few laughs.

Tokyo Zombie - 3/5 - Starts off with a good tempo of decapitations and hilarity but that slows up. Story is pretty good and the jujitsu in the movie is sick. The jujitsu against zombies is some of the best jujitsu in a feature film.
Tokyo Zombie was advertised as a mix of Shaun of the Dead and Kung Fu Hustle. It has elements of both but not as amazing as u would hope for. There is fun to be had but is not as good as Shaun of the dead or as over the top as Kung Fu Hustle. Its close to a 4/5. Its really enjoyable just not as great as those two films.

Planet Terror
The Terminator meets Dead Rising

Death Proof
Felt like 2 movies itself

Inglorious Basterds
Second time is better than the first

spoiler free rant
and I made the assumption that I would be better friends with Robert Rodriguez than Quentin Tarantino, although I feel QT is a better director than RR (saw all the extras on both grindhouse films, loved Pulp Fiction, liked Resevoir Dogs & Inglourous Basterds alot, didn't like Sin City, Death Proof overshadowed Planet Terror in my eyes, movie wise - although PT was more memorable, neither movie was 'great')

yeah ! i am very agree with your opiniona and i am very love the movie .the movie is fantastic. otherwise ,HOPKINS is a great peopele and have smart; adamancy......

Valkyrie - Just OK. It annoyed me to no end that no one spoke with an accent, it ruined the movie for me. If I would have known that beforehand I wouldn't have watched it.

[quote name='spoo']Valkyrie - Just OK. It annoyed me to no end that no one spoke with an accent, it ruined the movie for me. If I would have known that beforehand I wouldn't have watched it.[/QUOTE]
That's because they're speaking German. That fade from German into English in the beginning is meant to convey that they're really speaking German. The English is for the viewer.

[quote name='winterice']That's because they're speaking German. That fade from German into English in the beginning is meant to convey that they're really speaking German. The English is for the viewer.[/QUOTE]
It should either be with accents or all in German. It is hard to get into the story with people speaking with American and English accents. I got how it switched over in the first scene but it got to the point that I didn't feel that they were Germans besides the uniforms.

[quote name='spoo']It should either be with accents or all in German. It is hard to get into the story with people speaking with American and English accents. I got how it switched over in the first scene but it got to the point that I didn't feel that they were Germans besides the uniforms.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. It just seems like a poor way to produce your movie with american accents playing german characters. It takes the viewer out of that atmosphere. That atmosphere is more engaging to me. I guess its the director/producers choice to make the film like that. The movie might also have a greater mass appeal if a movie is in english instead of subtitled.

But what do I know, Bryan Singer the director for Valkyrie, produced and directed Usual Suspects and produced Trick r Treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back