Surprisingly the Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most recent Superman/Batman Public Enemies. One of the best DCAU direct to dvd movies that have come still. Very enjoyable. I only wish they had made it longer, as it definitely feels like they could have put in at least another 20-30 minutes in it to make it 1 hour and 30 minutes, and I wish they had fleshed out the Toyman a bit more, rather than have him just be inserted at the end as sort of this deus ex machina. Great overall, though, and I loved the combat and mass of DC heroes and villains shown.

The Brother Bloom - Has some great comedy, very good story and acting...overall a good movie. Not great...but good. Con movies are always fun and the comedy that ensues during the cons in Brother's Bloom is probably worth the watch.

Clerks

I just watched it for the first time today, hilarious movie.

Clerks 2

Also funny.

Monsters vs. Aliens

I didn't expect much out of it, but it was actually pretty decent.

Hancock

Again, another movie I didn't expect a lot out of but it was pretty good. I wish they would have gone into a little more details about his powers though.

[quote name='naiku']The Brother Bloom - Has some great comedy, very good story and acting...overall a good movie. Not great...but good. Con movies are always fun and the comedy that ensues during the cons in Brother's Bloom is probably worth the watch.[/QUOTE]

...from the director of Brick, one of my favorite movies from the last few years. Check it out, if you haven't already.

saw the informant tonight.........not sure if i liked to say suck/good.

i do want to see the INvention of lying. I like Ricky Gervais so it should be good to watch.

Went to an early screening of the new Michael Moore Documentary/Film. I've never really been a fan of the guy, but you can definitely see how he's matured as a filmmaker in this one, and no matter what your political stance or leaning for the guy, the film is simply powerful. I thought it was actually very well done. You can see his influence from his previous work, literally and figuratively, from the opening montage of scenes - especially aspects of Roger and Me (a film that was merely so-so). I don't know, perhaps I should be more critical of some aspects of the film, but the truth is that I've seen those images in real life that he shows in the film, for example: evictions, forclosures, layoffs, etc. so perhaps I'm more sympathetic and empathetic to what is shown on screen.

[quote name='integralsmatic']saw the informant tonight.........not sure if i liked to say suck/good.[/QUOTE]

I'd go with sucked personally.

[quote name='bmachine']...from the director of Brick, one of my favorite movies from the last few years. Check it out, if you haven't already.[/QUOTE]

brothers bloom was not as convoluted as brick and made for a better watch. bittersweet with quality acting, good surprise.

Zombieland - Super funny, a great flick.

District 9 - Really good but I missed some of it near the end because my stupid battery died at the drive-in.

it's nice to see people now thinking that zombieland was good/fun/awesome, because it was all 3. if you were coming into this expecting shaun of the dead levels of awesome, sorry, because that is the bar for zombie comedies and nothing will ever beat it. this was amazing, though. woody harrelson was perfect, eisenberg was perfect, emma stone was really great and HOT (and she's who i want to team up with when the zombie apocalypse comes), and abigail breslin was really good, too. and that cameo? come on, that was epic.

[quote name='chimpster1313']it's nice to see people now thinking that zombieland was good/fun/awesome, because it was all 3. if you were coming into this expecting shaun of the dead levels of awesome, sorry, because that is the bar for zombie comedies and nothing will ever beat it. this was amazing, though. woody harrelson was perfect, eisenberg was perfect, emma stone was really great and HOT (and she's who i want to team up with when the zombie apocalypse comes), and abigail breslin was really good, too. and that cameo? come on, that was epic.[/QUOTE]

I'd put it up there with Shaun of The Dead.

[quote name='whoknows']I'd put it up there with Shaun of The Dead.[/QUOTE]

well i would, too. but it's like zombieland is a 5 layer cake and shaun of the dead is a 5 layer cake with rice krispies treats sticking out of the top that you can eat before you dig into the cake.

son of a bitch, now i'm hungry for cake.

Zombieland - 3.5/5 - Pretty fun. First 10-15minutes are just great. The ending is funny also has some good moments. Somewhere in the middle its like the zombies weren't a factor. Something was lost during that long car ride in the middle of the film. I get they were trying to build the characters but it just didn't flow well. All the set pieces were great and the slow mo stuff in the beginning is so $$$$. To me Zombieland fell short of the expectation of being on par w/ Shaun of the Dead. Definitely not as gory as some people said it was. It has very few gory kills. The 406 flash back was great and obviously BM was hysterical.
I guess I just wished Zombieland was more like the 406 flash back. Always under attack with his weird little rules that get him by in life and comedy ensues.

Jennifer's Body - 3/5 - The movie as a whole is great. Fun idea and knows what it wants to be and stays on track. The only issue for me was the cody-isms or whatever u wanna call it. Whenever Diablo Cody starts writing in stupid shit like "Jello" for jealous or "chesse n fries" for Jesus Christ makes me wonder how she even got a start. No one talks like that and its not enjoyable or funny listening to anyone talk that way.
The gore is good and story was decent outside of those cody-isms. Megan Fox plays a "highschool bitch" quite well. There is some very funny moments that take place in the classroom w/ Megan and the teacher which were hysterical.

Saw Zombieland again, mainly to see if my opinion was a fickle one (I was apathetic towards it the first time around).

Anyways, I'm sure of it now: While I chuckled in some parts of the movie, there were no LOLs or "that was really cool." To be honest, I don't see how the movie has it's 89% fresh rating on RottenTomatoes as a comedy is supposed to have more than a couple laughs/chuckles/snarks in a movie. The slomo was cool but doesn't justify how most people liked it. Maybe the the "rules,"
having special guest Bill Murray
, or simply wanting the movie would succeed more than imagined is why the positive reviews are aplenty.

I much more agree with the Average Rating of 7.5/10, although I still think that's a bit generous. On a comedy scale, I think 5-6/10 would be justifiable. As a whole (with zombie stuff), 6.5-7/10 is charitable.

Btw, I thought Adventureland was great.

Zombieland
Loved it. If you go, make sure you stay through the credits.

S. Darko
A fucking abomination.

Haunting in Connecticut
Felt like giant chunks of the story were omitted. Actually thought the documentaries in the bonus features were better than the movie itself.

[quote name='vrblknch']brothers bloom was not as convoluted as brick and made for a better watch. bittersweet with quality acting, good surprise.[/QUOTE]

Just bumped it to the top of my Netflix queue.

No Country for Old men.
The whole show is a puzzle yet amazing once you understand EVERY (I do mean EVERY scene symbolism)

This movie was cleverly made.

5/5

[quote name='Count']No Country for Old men.
The whole show is a puzzle yet amazing once you understand EVERY (I do mean EVERY scene symbolism)

This movie was cleverly made.

5/5[/QUOTE]

Maybe I need to look into that, because when I watched it I thought it was pretty meh.

[quote name='dmaul1114']State of Play.

Very good. One of the better political thrillers I've seen in a while.[/QUOTE]

I watched this tonight and I feel about the same. It was a decent political thriller, nothing more, nothing less.

I saw zombieland and thought it was terrific. However, I had to run out after it ended and just learned about something at the end of the credits. Can someone PM me and let me know what happened? :(

[quote name='whoknows']Maybe I need to look into that, because when I watched it I thought it was pretty meh.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I also thought it was a "Meh".
But since it was shown in my class, and my teacher was explaining ever damn information about each scene.. This movie is a masterpiece.

Just remember, once you rewatch it.

Keep in mind to look at the

-Meaning of each scene
-Angle of each scene
-The Boots
-Shadows
-Numbers
-Philosphy
-Shapes (Triangles)
-Beloved

Zombieland Stinger - spoilers stay away if u didn't see the film
Woody and Bill are together again in the theater room where Bill is sitting with his wound. Woody is trying to act like Carl from caddyshack that bill does. Woody asks bill for some help during his Carl impression. bill pulls it off perfectly then goes back to dying slowly in the chair. Also there is this weird Parish Films animated logo that felt very out of place. not sure where the hell that was from but it was very random (the logo).

http://moviestinger.com/zombieland-extra-scene-after-the-credits/#more-3901

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='naiku']Zombieland Stinger - spoilers stay away if u didn't see the film
Woody and Bill are together again in the theater room where Bill is sitting with his wound. Woody is trying to act like Carl from caddyshack that bill does. Woody asks bill for some help during his Carl impression. bill pulls it off perfectly then goes back to dying slowly in the chair. Also there is this weird Parish Films animated logo that felt very out of place. not sure where the hell that was from but it was very random (the logo).

http://moviestinger.com/zombieland-extra-scene-after-the-credits/#more-3901
[/QUOTE]

It's Pariah Films, and it's just the production company. It's the same company that produced The Show Biz Show With David Spade. So apparently, it's memorable.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - I was really blown away by the feelings of authenticity this film provokes. It's like it was directed as a PBS special (I guess it's that voice-over). I really enjoyed it on the whole. It seems to get flack for being long, but I actually wouldn't mind a longer cut - or maybe one that just gives a little more time to Robert Ford after the assassination.

Zombieland - Awesome. I thought it slowed down during the big cameo, but was otherwise solid. I think I like it more than Shaun of the Dead, though it's been a while since I've seen it. I thought that movie devolved into a standard zombie movie after the halfway point. Zombieland keeps the action fast and fun, even when it gets a little more dramatic. I guess I also prefer the coming-of-age action/comedy tone of Zombieland.

Shoot 'Em Up - Very good. I guess I thought it went for a few too many "What the hell?!" moments over the simply crazy shootouts I was expecting, but very enjoyable, and the movie knows what it is.

Crank: High Voltage

That was insane to the point of absurd stupidity. In other words, it was everything I had hoped for in the sequel to Crank. Awesome. fucking retarded awesome.

Forgot a few over the past couple of days:

Evangelion: Death and Rebirth
Combat Shock
Igor and the Lunatics

Troma movies always have that special little charm.

Hunt for Red October - I love that flick.
Star Trek V - I hate that flick, but I still like it better than the first Star Trek movie.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']

Troma movies always have that special little charm.[/QUOTE]
I also love me some Troma.

Trick r Treat - 4/5 - I could write a lot about this film but I wont. It is just pure awesome.

Trick r Treat is the best horror movie release this year. Trick r Treat is what I want in a horror film. It has comedy, scares and fun. Drag me to hell was a great horror releases this year and Paranormal Activity was a interesting way to look at a horror movie. This is a near perfect Halloween themed film. The four stories were interesting and how they intertwine was well written. I hope you rent/buy this film for a October night.

[quote name='CokeCola']
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - I was really blown away by the feelings of authenticity this film provokes. It's like it was directed as a PBS special (I guess it's that voice-over). I really enjoyed it on the whole. It seems to get flack for being long, but I actually wouldn't mind a longer cut - or maybe one that just gives a little more time to Robert Ford after the assassination.
[/QUOTE]

There is a much longer cut, like 4 hours or something like that. I don't know if it will ever get released.

Loved that movie. The key was the music. The music and narration made it feel like a dark fairy tale. Fanfuckingtastic music!

Dead and Breakfast - A great horror black comedy B-movie, this is as good as this genre gets. I loved the narration and the songs.

The Wrestler
- Great character building and acting.

Orphan_Poster.jpg

Orphan (2009)

This was unbearably lame. It was so bad. I don't know what I expected from it, but I didn't expect something so fucking stupid, and full of film cliches. One scene that annoyed the hell out of me, was when the Mom who adopted the orphan girl, freaks out while waiting in a hospital and slaps the orphan girl, three orderlies come running immediately, one with a needle full of something, they grab the mom, and inject her to subdue her, without questioning the situation or anything. Like that is in any way legal. Out of 60 films I've seen this year, I can easily say this is the worst film I've seen from 2009.

dark_country_poster.jpg

Dark Country (2009)

Directed by, and starring Thomas Jane, is this awesome mystery thriller, clouded in confusion and suspense. A couple en route from Las Vegas, are forced to deal with a body out in the desert, making their honeymoon one hellish ride. From that quick plot recap, it doesn't seem that exciting, but the atmosphere, the mystery, intrigue, the general sense of "what the fuck is going on?", just made this a film I loved. You might feel the story doesn't make sense, or you might even call the plot twist early on, but until you see the end and twist play out, when you get the overwhelming sense of "oh shit", then it all comes together. Thomas Jane is great in this, and Ron Perlman shows up for a small role as a cop. The film was shot in both 3D high definition and 2D high definition, and was suppose to be released in both 3D and 2D theaters, but instead was released this week, straight-to-DVD. Don't judge it by that fact, though, it's a great film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back