Sushi!!!!!!

[quote name='Starwishi']Cant eat it without the soy sauce man. Thats like eating a hotdog without ketchup. Its just wrong.[/QUOTE]I only put mustard on my hotdogs. :oops: :lol:

Working late? Who needs dinner? I'd rather have a glass of shoju served with hot water and a cracked cayenne (or other short hot red) pepper.

It's not about making yourself happy while working late; it's about making yourself forget you're working late.

[quote name='Starwishi']Cant eat it without the soy sauce man. Thats like eating a hotdog without ketchup. Its just wrong.[/QUOTE]

i eat hot dogs with mustard,relish,cheese, and mayonaise.

[quote name='jaykrue']Just had some unagi (freshwater eel) myself this afternoon. I love its texture and sweet taste and how it melts in my mouth like cotton candy.:drool:[/QUOTE]

Unagi is also the art of defending yourself from an attack you don't know is coming. It's a little known subset of karate practiced by Ross Gellar. It's a concept everyone should really be familiar with. It's what the Japanese call Unagi.

[quote name='javeryh']Unagi is also the art of defending yourself from an attack you don't know is coming. It's a little known subset of karate practiced by Ross Gellar. It's a concept everyone should really be familiar with. It's what the Japanese call Unagi.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: multipled by 10000

[quote name='javeryh']Unagi is also the art of defending yourself from an attack you don't know is coming. It's a little known subset of karate practiced by Ross Gellar. It's a concept everyone should really be familiar with. It's what the Japanese call Unagi.[/QUOTE]I think I'm kinda glad I don't know what the fuck you're talking about. :lol:

usually, you take some wasabi and mix it into your soy sauce, then dip the sushi into that,
so the forgetting of the soy sauce is much worse.

my personal thought on the soy/wasabi debate is that they are yin and yang. you should not have one without the other, or there is inbalance. not only are both ingredients important, so is the balance. i get upset that take-out tends to stiff on the soy and therefore i cannot use all the wasabi.

as a side note to travelers and sushi lovers...vancouver is not only beautiful, but also has excellent and affordable sushi. i eat it at least twice a week. i will miss this city if i have to leave in july.

[quote name='jaykrue']Not totally true. The soy sauce is supposed to be an enhancer. In Japan, some chefs would be insulted by using soy sauce when unnecessary (like in unagi since it's sweet).[/QUOTE]

Um, when did I say that soy sauce should go on everything? All I'm saying is that I like it on my sushi.

[quote name='Starwishi']Um, when did I say that soy sauce should go on everything? All I'm saying is that I like it on my sushi.[/QUOTE]

You didn't and neither did I. I'll quote myself to clarify:

Not totally true. The soy sauce is supposed to be an enhancer. In Japan, some chefs would be insulted by using soy sauce when unnecessary (like in unagi since it's sweet).

I suppose I should've clarified my statement by inserting the word 'sushi' in front of the word 'chef' but I figured it was a given in a thread about sushi.:lol: And it's still true, some sushi chefs will see it as an insult to use soy sauce on their sushi unless otherwise noted.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']You know I can't condone Friends watching for any reason. :shame: :shame: :shame: :lol:[/QUOTE]

Why do you think I linked to a wiki then? So you won't have to. :lol:;)

[quote name='javeryh']Damn it's 8:24 in the morning and I want sushi.[/QUOTE]

While it's noon right now where I'm at (I woke up about 30 mins. ago), I woke up w/ a craving for sushi as well.

seems like a great day for sushi. it's finally nice and sunny here after months of rain and overcast days...the sort of weather that makes me want to venture out. i'm really craving a bc roll and yam tempura.

What about the ginger! All three are essential for me.

I just had a huge sushi dinner last night at probably the best sushi restaurant in Boston (Fugakyu in case anyone's from around there) and the best thing was that it was free :) .

ginger is great too, especially when going from one type of roll to another. had a dragon roll, b.c. roll, and canada roll for dinner last night.

[quote name='dopa345']What about the ginger! All three are essential for me.

I just had a huge sushi dinner last night at probably the best sushi restaurant in Boston (Fugakyu in case anyone's from around there) and the best thing was that it was free :) .[/quote]

Ugh. No ginger for me - I think somewhere in this thread I tell the story of when I had sushi for the first time and I thought it was ham so I ate it all at once...

[quote name='javeryh']Ugh. No ginger for me - I think somewhere in this thread I tell the story of when I had sushi for the first time and I thought it was ham so I ate it all at once...[/quote]

The ginger is almost necessary. It's used to reset the taste buds when switching from one type of sushi to another, say, from white tuna (shiro maguro) to freshwater eel (unagi). It's supposed to allow you to fully appreciate the flavor of each piece of sushi. True, you could just drink water but it's better with the ginger's slight 'bite'.

[quote name='jaykrue']The ginger is almost necessary. It's used to reset the taste buds when switching from one type of sushi to another, say, from white tuna (shiro maguro) to freshwater eel (unagi). It's supposed to allow you to fully appreciate the flavor of each piece of sushi. True, you could just drink water but it's better with the ginger's slight 'bite'.[/QUOTE]
exactly

God I hate sushi. I think my local Kroger actually makes it. Of course all these oriental people are the ones doing it.

[quote name='bushwaccer']God I hate sushi. I think my local Kroger actually makes it. Of course all these oriental people are the ones doing it.[/quote]

It's probably because you're eating retail store sushi and those are the biggest pieces of :puke: shit. Eat some sushi at a Zagat-rated high quality restaurant.

Seriously - Kroger? I wouldn't touch that shit. Also, I believe it's "Asian" and not "Oriental" if you want to be PC. I wouldn't go saying that shit in public.

[quote name='javeryh']Seriously - Kroger? I wouldn't touch that shit. Also, I believe it's "Asian" and not "Oriental" if you want to be PC. I wouldn't go saying that shit in public.[/quote]

I don't know about other asians but as for myself, yeah, it's a bit derogatory but it doesn't carry the same vitriol as the 'N word' would to a black person. Anyway, back on topic, since this thread has been near the top for quite some time, I've been losin' a chunk o' change since I've eaten sushi (usually unagi or sake) for lunch for the past 5 days... and I'll probably do so again tomorrow. :lol:

Oh man do I want some sushi right now.

I only eat sushi during happy hours though...Non-happy hour prices around here are killer.

Has anyone ever ordered from Aki Sushi in Manhattan? It's new on Seamlessweb and I'm trying them out. I hope it is good.... YAY SUSHI!!!!

[quote name='javeryh']Has anyone ever ordered from Aki Sushi in Manhattan? It's new on Seamlessweb and I'm trying them out. I hope it is good.... YAY SUSHI!!!![/quote]

Dammit jav! Stop bumping this topic! I've managed to hold off on the sushi since Sunday but now I have a craving and I'm about 70 miles from any decent sushi places. :bomb:

[quote name='jaykrue']Dammit jav! Stop bumping this topic! I've managed to hold off on the sushi since Sunday but now I have a craving and I'm about 70 miles from any decent sushi places. :bomb:[/quote]

sorry jay... I'm hopelessly addicted. It wasn't that good tonight but I got more for my money (or I should say I got more for the client's money :D). I've been eating waaaaay too much sushi lately...

[quote name='javeryh']sorry jay... I'm hopelessly addicted. It wasn't that good tonight but I got more for my money (or I should say I got more for the client's money :D). I've been eating waaaaay too much sushi lately...[/quote]

It's ok. That was my own sushi addiction talking. I tend to get cranky if I don't get my tri-weekly sushi fix.

mmm... I'm enjoying a spicy yellowtail roll, a spider roll (never tried before - I'm unimpressed) and some salmon sushi (2 pieces) and tuna sushi (2 pieces). mmm...

[quote name='bushwaccer']God I hate sushi. I think my local Kroger actually makes it. Of course all these oriental people are the ones doing it.[/QUOTE]

Mvc-380f_flag_rise.jpg

I'm working on spicy Salmon, Tuna and Yellowfish rolls with that crunchy shit they put in there too. It's freaking delicious.

[quote name='javeryh']I'm working on spicy Salmon, Tuna and Yellowfish rolls with that crunchy shit they put in there too. It's freaking delicious.[/quote]

It's unagi maki with sesame seeds FTW. Man, those things make me feel like a heroin junkie needing my next fix. Looks like I know what I'm havin' for dinner. :drool:

[quote name='bushwaccer']God I hate sushi. I think my local Kroger actually makes it. Of course all these oriental people are the ones doing it.[/QUOTE]

Oriental? Who says that anymore?

bread's done
Back