Sushi!!!!!!

[quote name='2poor']Oriental? Who says that anymore?[/QUOTE]
Mvc-380f_flag_rise.jpg

[quote name='jaykrue']It's unagi maki with sesame seeds FTW. Man, those things make me feel like a heroin junkie needing my next fix. Looks like I know what I'm havin' for dinner. :drool:[/quote]

yeah, I just discovered the crunchies - it's like crack. I'm so full right now... :drool:

[quote name='javeryh']yeah, I just discovered the crunchies - it's like crack. I'm so full right now... :drool:[/quote]

Hehe, yeah, I can't have eel w/o the seeds (which is surprising since I don't like'em on my burger buns). Next time you're at your local sushi joint, try ordering a caterpillar sushi. It's not made of caterpillar (it's unagi) but it's in its shape but it comes w/o the seeds. After I ate that, I came to the realization that I can't have unagi w/o the seeds. It's just not the same.

i wanted sushi tonite, but kadoya was already closed, and of course this thread gets bumped again. i'm definitely going tomorrow for lunch. it's been like a week now.

[quote name='jaykrue']Hehe, yeah, I can't have eel w/o the seeds (which is surprising since I don't like'em on my burger buns). Next time you're at your local sushi joint, try ordering a caterpillar sushi. It's not made of caterpillar (it's unagi) but it's in its shape but it comes w/o the seeds. After I ate that, I came to the realization that I can't have unagi w/o the seeds. It's just not the same.[/QUOTE]

Unagi?

unagi.jpg

[quote name='javeryh']mmm... I'm enjoying a spicy yellowtail roll, a spider roll (never tried before - I'm unimpressed) and some salmon sushi (2 pieces) and tuna sushi (2 pieces). mmm...[/quote]

What's a spider roll?

[quote name='blueweltall']What's a spider roll?[/QUOTE]

if its the thing I had the other day then its with soft shell crab, i also had some eel, squid, urchin, salmon, tuna, and octo.

[quote name='Megamibeast']Have anybody try Toro yet? Is the extra $$$ worth it or does it still have the same taste as tuna?[/quote]

Toro is good but I wouldn't get more than 1 piece as the flavor's a bit too rich to me. It tastes like tuna but with a denser flavor.

last nite's dinner:

roll combo a (tuna roll, salmon roll, cucumber roll) and a bc roll.

cost: 8.56 canadian

i love this place.

[quote name='darkmere']last nite's dinner:

roll combo a (tuna roll, salmon roll, cucumber roll) and a bc roll.

cost: 8.56 canadian

i love this place.[/quote]

Holy shit that sounds cheap. My dinner tonight:

Salad
Spicy Salmon Roll
Rainbow Roll

$30 (with tip)

[quote name='javeryh']Holy shit that sounds cheap. My dinner tonight:

Salad
Spicy Salmon Roll
Rainbow Roll

$30 (with tip)[/QUOTE]
that's the benefit of living in a place where like 1/4 of the population was born in asia. good, affordable asian foods.

Dinner tonight:

2 unagi maki (12 freshwater eel rolls)
1 tekka maki (6 tuna rolls)
2 hamachi nigiri (yellowtail sushi)
1 toro nigiri (fatty tuna sushi)
3 sake nigiri (salmon sushi)
1 kirin (beer)
1 red dragon (whita tuna, salmon, spicy tuna center, lightly glazed w/ sweet unagi sauce)

$25 (the owner gives me what he calls his 'personal' discount as that would normally run a person about $50 or so but since I visit almost every day anyway, he makes it up through my sheer frequency) :lol:

[quote name='jaykrue']Dinner tonight:

2 unagi maki (12 freshwater eel rolls)
1 tekka maki (6 tuna rolls)
2 hamachi nigiri (yellowtail sushi)
1 toro nigiri (fatty tuna sushi)
3 sake nigiri (salmon sushi)
1 kirin (beer)
1 red dragon (whita tuna, salmon, spicy tuna center, lightly glazed w/ sweet unagi sauce)

$25 (the owner gives me what he calls his 'personal' discount as that would normally run a person about $50 or so but since I visit almost every day anyway, he makes it up through my sheer frequency) :lol:[/quote]

Holy crap that sounds delicious. It's a ton of food too! :D

I live in Iowa so I never trust any sushi in town, I love fish but I live in the wrong part of the country to eat good fresh seafood.

[quote name='spoo']I live in Iowa so I never trust any sushi in town, I love fish but I live in the wrong part of the country to eat good fresh seafood.[/QUOTE]
i'm 2 blocks from the beach. bc salmon is awesome. the seafood seems pretty fresh here.

[quote name='Megamibeast']Have anybody try Toro yet? Is the extra $$$ worth it or does it still have the same taste as tuna?[/QUOTE]
Toro is only worth it if you tell them to make it a negitoro maki (not hand roll, but more like kappa maki). They dice the fish up to make it really smooth. Delicious.

[quote name='darkmere']i'm 2 blocks from the beach. bc salmon is awesome. the seafood seems pretty fresh here.[/QUOTE]
Where in Vancouver do you get sushi? I've only been to Aki and the place across from it on Thurlow downtown (in case you haven't been there, it's underground. Another good place to get good Japanese food is Zakushi on Denman.

[quote name='beerguy961']Where in Vancouver do you get sushi? I've only been to Aki and the place across from it on Thurlow downtown (in case you haven't been there, it's underground. Another good place to get good Japanese food is Zakushi on Denman.[/QUOTE]
i like kadoya. it's this little hole in the wall joint on davie just east of thurlow. good prices and surprisingly high quality.

if it's quantity you're after check out kisha poppo next to the kfc on davie (between thurlow and bute). i think the all you can eat sushi is like 10 or 11 bucks after 9:30.

i'll have to check out aki and zakushi some time.

*bump*

I just had 2 spider rolls and a bowl full of mixed sashimi containing tuna, salmon, white tuna, & yellow tail.

fuck I LOVE EATING SUSHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='jaykrue']*bump*

I just had 2 spider rolls and a bowl full of mixed sashimi containing tuna, salmon, white tuna, & yellow tail.

fuck I LOVE EATING SUSHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

God damn I'm jealous. I'm actually leaving the office in a 1/2 hour so I don't have an excuse to order dinner and have my client pay for it. Tempting to stay though... nah, I'd rather go home and play some 360...

OK, no way I could get through all 100+ posts.. read the first twenty or so but has anyone mentioned the difference between real wasabi and the green stuff?

We sit at the bar at the coolest little mom and pop shop. It cuts all your peripheral visuals out and you just focus on the sushi. Not to sound too cornball but it makes me feel like I'm in Japan for an hour (yes, usually a full hour, because we drink sake there, which technically you're not supposed to do for a long time, but they like us)..

Anyhow, the japanese sushi chef grated some "real" wasabi for us.. quite firey.. different taste too. He said the "wasabi" you get that's green in a jar/can is actually more a derivative of a relative of the horseradish plant and that there is this was "true wasabi" and completely expensive so they rarely bust it out.

Anyone know anything about this?

EDIT: I just want to add that I do believe I have narrowed it down to a favorite food on earth for me: Maguro.... Like many people, it took me a while to get into the raw fish. The best way I can describe it is that makes me think of what a bear might go through when it catches a fish and eats it by the river. Of course, you can cook fish in lots of delicious ways but I am claiming that delicious raw maguro sashimi is my favorite. I would prefer it over even seared Ahi...

[quote name='coltyhuxx']OK, no way I could get through all 100+ posts.. read the first twenty or so but has anyone mentioned the difference between real wasabi and the green stuff?

We sit at the bar at the coolest little mom and pop shop. It cuts all your peripheral visuals out and you just focus on the sushi. Not to sound too cornball but it makes me feel like I'm in Japan for an hour (yes, usually a full hour, because we drink sake there, which technically you're not supposed to do for a long time, but they like us)..

Anyhow, the japanese sushi chef grated some "real" wasabi for us.. quite firey.. different taste too. He said the "wasabi" you get that's green in a jar/can is actually more a derivative of a relative of the horseradish plant and that there is this was "true wasabi" and completely expensive so they rarely bust it out.

Anyone know anything about this?[/quote]
Yeah, imitation stuff is made from a mix of horseradish & other junk. Wiki sez:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasabi

Almost all sushi bars in America, and most in Japan, serve imitation wasabi because the real product is extremely expensive. Imitation wasabi is usually made from horseradish, mustard, and green food coloring (sometimes spirulina), often as a powder to be mixed with water to make a paste. Since real wasabi loses its flavor if dried, powders containing real wasabi do not capture the genuine flavor. To distinguish between the true variety of wasabi and the imitation product, real wasabi is known in Japan as hon-wasabi (本山葵), meaning "original", or "true" wasabi.

Damn I didn't know that. I'm going to look into getting the expensive stuff one of these days. Thanks for the heads up!

The only places I can get Sushi here are like Rainbow, cheap chinese buffets and Ichibans ($100+ a meal)... I need a middle ground.

[quote name='Kayden']The only places I can get Sushi here are like Rainbow, cheap chinese buffets and Ichibans ($100+ a meal)... I need a middle ground.[/quote]
Damn, dude, my condolences. :cry:

[quote name='javeryh']Damn I didn't know that. I'm going to look into getting the expensive stuff one of these days. Thanks for the heads up![/quote]

Better make sure you wait until the last minute since it loses flavor quick.

[quote name='javeryh']Damn I didn't know that. I'm going to look into getting the expensive stuff one of these days. Thanks for the heads up![/quote]

javeryh-

do you sit at the bar ever? i only sit at the bar now. it's so much more fun and you learn all kinds of cool things. we buy our chefs (same two dudes all the time) sake and they very often make us little extra plates. we also tried this sashimi, the name escapes me that is so expensive you put small bits on top of a seaweed salad. yum.. get to know your sushi chef!;)

[quote name='coltyhuxx']javeryh-

do you sit at the bar ever? i only sit at the bar now. it's so much more fun and you learn all kinds of cool things. we buy our chefs (same two dudes all the time) sake and they very often make us little extra plates. we also tried this sashimi, the name escapes me that is so expensive you put small bits on top of a seaweed salad. yum.. get to know your sushi chef!;)[/quote]

Typically I'm eating dinner at work during the week but if I ever do get to go to the sushi bar I definitely sit at the counter. I am mezmerized just watching those guys.

Tonight I got two spicy crunch rolls (salmon and yellowtail) and this random sushi platter thing - it's pretty good. It has 10 pieces (2 pieces of 5 different fish) but two of them are shrimp so that's kind of lame.

i had a feeling this thread would be bumped tonite...because i ate kadoya for dinner. i swear the salmon here melts in your mouth...

*bump*

As my friends will be working during the afternoon and thus will be unable to hang w/ me for a sushi lunch buffet, I'm gonna treat myself to a nice luxurious sushi lunch and catch an early show for Silent Hill. Today I'm treating myself to a TNT roll (spicy tuna & yellowtail) and my standard unagi roll. :drool::bouncy::cool:

As my friends will be working during the afternoon and thus will be unable to hang w/ me for a sushi lunch buffet, I'm gonna treat myself to a nice luxurious sushi lunch and catch an early show for Silent Hill. Today I'm treating myself to a TNT roll (spicy tuna & yellowtail) and my standard unagi roll. :drool::bouncy::cool:[/quote]

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I had some sushi last night but I probably shouldn't have - I'm not feeling well and I probably should have had soup or something...

[quote name='javeryh']:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I had some sushi last night but I probably shouldn't have - I'm not feeling well and I probably should have had soup or something...[/quote]

You probably didn't have enough wasabi to neutralize the germs. :lol:

*bump*

Just had a catepillar roll (for the uninitiated, it's not made of catepillars), 2 futo rolls, and a sashimi salad. Catepillar roll had freshwater eel (unagi) with a bit of cucumber (it's basically an unagi roll w/o the sesame seeds shaped in the form of a catepillar). The futo (thick sushi rolls as opposed to maki which are the standard rolls) I had was filled with spicy tuna & yellowtail and lightly glazed with a tangy reddish mustard. Just for the record, futo can be anything, it's just the name of the style of the way it's made. The sashimi salad is basically a lot of thinly sliced raw fish pieces on a bed of lightly sweetened rice & vinegar. The meal I had was so good today I'm even considering going back for dinner. :lol:

ate sushi for dinner 2 nites ago. first solid food i ate after having my widsom teeth extracted. so awesome to be able to eat again. i just got hungry for sushi again. i should try a new chef roll.

Just had a catepillar roll (for the uninitiated, it's not made of catepillars), 2 futo rolls, and a sashimi salad. Catepillar roll had freshwater eel (unagi) with a bit of cucumber (it's basically an unagi roll w/o the sesame seeds shaped in the form of a catepillar). The futo (thick sushi rolls as opposed to maki which are the standard rolls) I had was filled with spicy tuna & yellowtail and lightly glazed with a tangy reddish mustard. Just for the record, futo can be anything, it's just the name of the style of the way it's made. The sashimi salad is basically a lot of thinly sliced raw fish pieces on a bed of lightly sweetened rice & vinegar. The meal I had was so good today I'm even considering going back for dinner. :lol:[/quote]

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: Damn that sounds delicious. That's it - I'm getting some sushi tonight.

[quote name='darkmere']ate sushi for dinner 2 nites ago. first solid food i ate after having my widsom teeth extracted. so awesome to be able to eat again. i just got hungry for sushi again. i should try a new chef roll.[/quote]

I wish I did that when mine came out. I couldn't eat anything except soft-serve ice cream and even ice cream can wear on after having it for days on end.:roll:

[quote name='jaykrue']I wish I did that when mine came out. I couldn't eat anything except soft-serve ice cream and even ice cream can wear on after having it for days on end.:roll:[/QUOTE]
the first few days sucked foodwise...i was afraid to eat anything besides pudding, ice cream, mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, applesauce, and weight gain mix. after a few days i ate a half peanut butter sandwich and said screw it, i'm getting sushi. i was just careful, chewed it at the front of my mouth, and swished well with water (and warm salt water when i was done.) went to the dentist for a follow up yesterday and he was impressed how well i was healing, said solid foods should be fine, just warned me my jaw may get sore/fatigued from not having worked much in a week.

on a sushi note, the salmon has been growing on me here lately.

[quote name='darkmere']the first few days sucked foodwise...i was afraid to eat anything besides pudding, ice cream, mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, applesauce, and weight gain mix. after a few days i ate a half peanut butter sandwich and said screw it, i'm getting sushi. i was just careful, chewed it at the front of my mouth, and swished well with water (and warm salt water when i was done.) went to the dentist for a follow up yesterday and he was impressed how well i was healing, said solid foods should be fine, just warned me my jaw may get sore/fatigued from not having worked much in a week.

on a sushi note, the salmon has been growing on me here lately.[/quote]

I was always afraid to eat sushi for fear that the roe (fish eggs) garnishes on the sushi would fall in the hole where my wisdom teeth previously were. I had to wait for quite a long time to wait till the gap closed up so I could eat stuff. My dentist said it would've been ok but I was scared that some food particle would fall in there and then the hole closed up around it. It would then proceed to rot inside my jaw until the hinge fell off (yeah, I was quite paranoid back then about my gums. :lol: ). Anyway, salmon was my successful introduction into sushi. I had sushi beforehand but it wasn't until I had salmon that I began to appreciate other types.

fuck you you fucking sushi fucking fuck fuckers with your fucking suishi eating fucking habits that fucking tempt me with the fucking sushi that I cant fucking get anyfuckingwhere because fucking Minnesota fucking stucks fuck.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I still need to try sushi, but I don't know of many places around here. :whistle2:([/quote]

You & Kayden need to move closer to a big city. :lol:

[quote name='jaykrue']You & Kayden need to move closer to a big city. :lol:[/quote]

Well, Mr Realestate, give us an appartment in Chicago and show us around. :p.

[quote name='Kayden']Well, Mr Realestate, give us an appartment in Chicago and show us around. :p.[/quote]

Haha, I don't give anyone anything - they've gotta earn it themselves. :cool: Anyway, I went to one of my favorite japanese restaurants in Chicago and decided to splurge a bit. In addition to the sushi (unagi, philly, boston & a red dragon set), I also ordered a Matsusaka beef bento (includes another 3 pieces of sushi - tuna, salmon, & shrimp). If anyone gets the chance, try Matsusaka style beef. It's got a more vibrant & rich meaty taste than the world-valued Kobe beef. The only downside is that it's so small since the beef is imported & thus very expensive. The bento itself was $50. Add in the extra sushi not part of the bento, my tab ended up being $87 (just for myself). It was hella fcukin' good and I don't regret eating it but make sure you bring $$$ because your wallet will get raped. :cry::booty:

Ok... So I'm in Dallas and I don't know where dick is. I'm driving around looking for food and don't find shit. I do come across a best buy and a Super Walmart. I figure I'll just be nice to the company and go to the SuperWalmart and get stuff to make a sandwhich. So I get a loaf of french bread, a half pound of cajun chicken, half pound of buffalo chicken, a pound of cheese, a bottle of brown mustard and a cool bottle of spicy mayo I've never seen before. Whats my point? Beyond the fact that the sandwhich kicked fucking ass to the extreme... Well, as I mentioned earlier, I saw a Best Buy. I've got a few hours before my flight, so I figure what the hell, lets see if they suck on the other side of the country, too. Whilst searching for a parking spot, I find that BB shares the fucking lot with a suishi house. :wall:

So when I got back to MN I said fuck it and got a tray of sushi for lunch from rainbow. It was actually really good.

i had some crappy sushi at harbor center today...the pieces were tiny and the rice was weird...all thin and shit.

bread's done
Back