Tales from Good Will / Salvation Army 2008

[quote name='DerangedHermit']I visited my local GW and SA last Saturday and they are absolutely depressing (I knew this for awhile but it's really bad now). The two stores are rundown (especially SA, it's a two floor store and the stairs to the 2nd floor are creaky as hell) and they rarely have video games or DVDs. When they do, it's crappy beat-up games/DVDs marked up to hell. But what do you expect from these two stores? They're located on a road where the predominant scenery are dilapidated vacant buildings (one particular building across from the SA -- the "Plaza" theater -- has been vacant for more than 20 years!) and businesses have been dropping dead for years.

My best luck has been with smaller church-affiliated thrift shops and yard sales.[/quote]

^ Wild guess you live somewhere in michigan the economy here is :cold:

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']^ Wild guess you live somewhere in michigan the economy here is :cold:[/QUOTE]

Nope, I'm on Long Island. Not what you would think of for a suburb of NYC.

(I found pics of that theater: http://www.lioddities.com/UE/East_Patchogue_Theater/index.htm )

There's some light in the future as a vacant strip mall is being knocked down for a Lowe's, the theater is in the process of being taken by eminent domain for its eventual demolition, and various dilapidated buildings have been demolished this spring.

The other towns around mostly are in relatively good shape, but the nearest GW and SA are about 1/2 hour away.

Sadly every Goodwill I've been to here in Connecticut is overrun with collectors and hoarders who grab anything of value in sight almost immediately to sell on eBay. They usually sell games for 3-5 bucks each, but they don't stay long, I'm fairly certain the management / employees are in cahoots with the sellers and give them first crack at everything before it even reaches the sales floor, Of the stuff that reaches the sale floor, 95% of it is sports titles, the remaining 5% are PS1 Budget Titles, Licensed Crap, and terrible games you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. Console sales at Goodwill are a joke, I've seen MIB N64's with games for 15, while loose console only Genesis' can be 35-40 dollars. Doesn't make much sense to me at all. Goodwill also holds back a lot of stuff to sell on their online auction site as well.

was working in SC this past week. Goodwill, Picked up 2 sets of 360 Rock Band drums/mic w/ original packaging for $25 each, they had 1 left, none of my other friends i contacted wanted the last one. Wii Remote missing batteries, but with cardboard box, $20, GBA Super Mario Advance Yoshi's Island cart only $5. Stuff I didn't pick up there; one 360 kit -game for $65, 2 PS3 complete ones for $100, a buttload of NES games that were individually priced, a few PS2 games, a few SNES games, a few Genesis games, Smash Bros 64 for $25???!!!, no thanks, Mario Kart 64 $20???!!!, original Game Boy Mario games $8 each. Got to another one and picked up a Wii Remote that had cardboard box and most of the plastic packaging, $15.

[quote name='lukewin']was working in Greenville, SC this past week. Goodwill, Picked up 2 sets of 360 Rock Band drums/mic w/ original packaging for $25 each, they had 1 left, none of my other friends i contacted wanted the last one. Wii Remote missing batteries, but with cardboard box, $20, GBA Super Mario Advance Yoshi's Island cart only $5. Stuff I didn't pick up there; one 360 kit -game for $65, 2 PS3 complete ones for $100, a buttload of NES games that were individually priced, a few PS2 games, a few SNES games, a few Genesis games, Smash Bros 64 for $25???!!!, no thanks, Mario Kart 64 $20???!!!, original Game Boy Mario games $8 each. Got to another one and picked up a Wii Remote that had cardboard box and most of the plastic packaging, $15.[/quote]

awesome deal on the drum sets. coolest thing i've found this year at my goodwill was a box of 80's metal cassettes. i had to fight with the manager for a price reduction cause they wanted like 50 bucks for a box of cassettes. fuck you ohio goodwills.

Checked out the local Goodwill today and passed on some $8.00 PS2 games like Spider Man and Need For Speed. I did buy these
DSC01467.jpg

Not a game pickup but for $4.00 each and the sheets are all new I couldn't pass it up.

[quote name='Irukandji']awesome deal on the drum sets. coolest thing i've found this year at my goodwill was a box of 80's metal cassettes. i had to fight with the manager for a price reduction cause they wanted like 50 bucks for a box of cassettes. fuck you ohio goodwills.[/quote]Jeez. Most places, they can't even give cassettes away.

Found this a like a year ago, but thought I'd mention it now.

Sealed Gameboy Player for the GameCube $25

I left it alone for a few days and no one picked it up. It was in the Boutique section where they keep things behind the desk.

I found Rayman Learning for the computer. And then a sealed original Doom expansion pack for PC, but I passed on both. Did I make a mistake on the Doom?

I saw my first PS3 games at Goodwill, Stuntman Ignition for $15. If only it were Folklore. :cry:

I also saw a few sports PS1 games, GH Frogger 2, one of the syphon filters, and MGS:VR missions. I might have picked something if only they were the $0.99 sticker color.

I have not got anything decent in awhile at goodwill...I went a few days ago and the only thing they had gaming related was a gunked up pikachu N64 controller and a N64 RF cable. -_-

lol.

My City Mission had an olympic Genesis game and some Prince of Persia 3D PC game. And then my Salvation Army had a bunch of crappy PC games, the best being a disc only Half-Life.

I didn't bite on anything.

I picked up the HaloClix two pack (Arbiter and Master Chief) that you got with a Halo 3 preorder for 75 cents. They had quite a few there. Too bad those were the only ones.

Found Gabriel Knight 1 (complete in box) and a chess-variant board game last night.

Well, I don't know if Gabriel Knight has the hintbook, but we already have that and the game disc anyway. We mostly picked it up for the box. The CD case inside is the Sierra Originals reprint design, with the ESRB rating on it, but the box looks normal and just has a warning about mature content, no actual rating logo or mention of the ESRB.

This weekend at Goodwill I picked up,

GameCube w/ GameBoy Player (has power cord & video cable, no controller)

Dreamcast (has controller, no power cord & video cable)

Total with tax was around $47, not that bad since the missing stuff would be easy to find.

Oh and the GameCube had Madden 2007 in it and the Dreamcast had Soul Calibur in it.

[quote name='braindeadalive']This weekend at Goodwill I picked up,

GameCube w/ GameBoy Player (has power cord & video cable, no controller)

Dreamcast (has controller, no power cord & video cable)

Total with tax was around $47, not that bad since the missing stuff would be easy to find.

Oh and the GameCube had Madden 2007 in it and the Dreamcast had Soul Calibur in it.[/quote]

Not very good either. o_O

I got my great conditioned Dreamcast with 13 games (Sonic Adventure and Jet Grind Radio are the notable ones), 3 controllers, and the hookups for $20 at a yard sale last weekend.

And GCNs can be found really cheap.

I got a Gamecube for $4 at a thrift store a few months back. It was a pretty funny experience as when I checked out th person didn't bat an eye. This thrift store usually sells its consoles for $20 + a pop.

Got Shellshock 'Nam 67 for the Xbox today for $1.50. Marked $2.99, but it was 50% off day for some reason. They also had a PS1 copy of Wheel of Fortune for$5.99. No rhyme or reason to their pricing and they sell "as is". Unless it's a buck or two, I pass @ these stores. At least around me they want too much money for their junk.

[quote name='Samus']Not very good either. o_O

I got my great conditioned Dreamcast with 13 games (Sonic Adventure and Jet Grind Radio are the notable ones), 3 controllers, and the hookups for $20 at a yard sale last weekend.

And GCNs can be found really cheap.[/quote]
Still cheaper than eBay, not everyone is gonna find a Dreamcast with 13 games for 20 bucks.

Went over to my local thrift store (St. Vincent De Paul's, just like SA) at lunch today, I picked up a golf game on the SNES, I forget which one, for a dollar...they asked if I was interested in a Sega Genesis. I said yes.

So after about fifteen minutes of the workers arguing about it not being tested and whatnot, I nabbed it for $3, three controllers, hook-ups, and a few crappy games. Not the greatest, but a lot better than they usually offer.

They say I just missed out on a Dreamcast with 12 games, 4 controllers, and hook-ups for $35. Would that have even been worth it? Depends on the games I'd imagine.

Just picked up 3 copies of Folklore for $15.00 each. I'm assuming they're the leftovers from the Target clearance. You should have seen the looks I was getting while waiting in line!

*edit* I was going to throw them up on Amazon Marketplace, but they want 15% + $1.35 commission fee + $0.99 transaction fee?! If I threw it up for $30.00 I'd only see about $23.15. No thank you Amazon. No thank you.

*edit the second* Man, so I had no idea that the price has been lowered to $30.00 new at Gamestop. If anyone wants one of these FS/FT let me know. Name your price and we can work something out.

[quote name='punkmaggit']Just picked up 3 copies of Folklore for $15.00 each. I'm assuming they're the leftovers from the Target clearance. You should have seen the looks I was getting while waiting in line!

*edit* I was going to throw them up on Amazon Marketplace, but they want 15% + $1.35 commission fee + $0.99 transaction fee?! If I threw it up for $30.00 I'd only see about $23.15. No thank you Amazon. No thank you.[/quote]
:drool:
My closest GW has 3 copies of :ps3: Stuntman.:cry:

I thought I found a copy of Daggerfall, but it was only the interactive preview disc. :cry::cry: I probably would have picked it up if it were

Just stopped by my good will to take a peak, they had a super gameboy cartridge, trouble shooter, mean bean machine, basketball, and the first sonic. No cases unfortunately. I picked up Sonic for one dollar and on my way out I noticed a figure of xianghua from soul calibur 1 hidden under a mound of clothes still in the package! Picked it up and the sticker on the back said 1.30 so I grabbed it.

SA-
MK2 (genesis) box, no book -1.99
where in time is carmen sandiego (genesis) complete -1.99
Sierra award winners- Red baron, rise of the dragon, kings quest 5. (PC) complete, big box 5 1/4 floppies. -1.99

[quote name='JJSP']The awesome Goodwill Computer Works store here closed. :([/quote]

That place sounded fancy! I forgot to add I also found a camera memory card for 8 bucks.

I decided to take my goodwill virginity away last weekend, surprised at what I saw because it looked a lot nicer then I expected it to be. The gaming portion of the electronic section looked like this:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/etspic/0504081527.jpg

Nothing I was interested in, but it sort of spread into other areas like there were guides and NES games in the VHS/CD/DVD area and some other PS1 and DreamCast spread/hidden among the other electronics.

Maybe a lucky visit I'll land something worth mentioning here.

[quote name='ets']I decided to take my goodwill virginity away last weekend, surprised at what I saw because it looked a lot nicer then I expected it to be. The gaming portion of the electronic section looked like this:

Nothing I was interested in, but it sort of spread into other areas like there were guides and NES games in the VHS/CD/DVD area and some other PS1 and DreamCast spread/hidden among the other electronics.

Maybe a lucky visit I'll land something worth mentioning here.[/quote]

thats not a bad looking gaming section, mine doesn't even have a gaming section, in fact the electronic section consists of like 200 vhs tapes and some old crappy radio's

[quote name='Gumby the Green']thats not a bad looking gaming section, mine doesn't even have a gaming section, in fact the electronic section consists of like 200 vhs tapes and some old crappy radio's[/quote]

don't forget the stack of no name records. a bunch of broken keyboards and stuff without power cords.

all the thrift stores in my area or wherever i go, have the vid games behind the counter or in a display case.

Went over to a thrift store by my grandpa's house, I'm out visiting him for his b-day...anyways, got a couple good finds.

Tales of Legendia (Ps2), Beyond Good and Evil (Ps2), and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Ps3, disc only) all for $40. Not great...but she did throw in a pretty bad ass dagger.

theres a HUGE good will new my school, the best thing ive found there were matching speedos, i envy how lucky you guys are with this stuff :) but congrats!

[quote name='ets']I decided to take my goodwill virginity away last weekend, surprised at what I saw because it looked a lot nicer then I expected it to be. The gaming portion of the electronic section looked like this:

Maybe a lucky visit I'll land something worth mentioning here.[/quote]

How much did they want for one of those routers on that shelf? LOL I ask because I'm looking to grab one, but I don't wanna pay $40-50 for one. Of course, the only electronic stuff I ever find at my local thrift stores is usually broken or dying.

Found a copy of Fallout 2 today. Its opened but the disc appears to have never left the cd case. I've never played Fallout before so I'm going to give this a try.

They also had Metal Gear Solid for the PC but I passed on that.

Never find anything at my local GW but figured id look today, browsing their crappy slections of games i saw a FFVII case! While screaming like a little girl on the inside I pull out, and notice it feels a little light. I open it up to find no disc inside:(

From what I've heard now, it's company policy as a whole now at Goodwill to cherry pick through donations for either their auction website or eBay, so I think the days of finding great scores at Goodwill are rapidly coming to a close.

[quote name='Tecka']Never find anything at my local GW but figured id look today, browsing their crappy slections of games i saw a FFVII case! While screaming like a little girl on the inside I pull out, and notice it feels a little light. I open it up to find no disc inside:([/QUOTE]

i need that!!! all i have are the 3 discs.

[quote name='Tecka']Never find anything at my local GW but figured id look today, browsing their crappy slections of games i saw a FFVII case! While screaming like a little girl on the inside I pull out, and notice it feels a little light. I open it up to find no disc inside:([/quote]

They ususally keep the games in a large CD holder by the register. GO BACK AND PICK IT UP NAO!1!!oneonesix

I'm going back to my goodwill and salvation armies in two days. Also hitting the pawnshop and yard sales. Wish me luck, I'll need it.

I had some finds in the past month or two. (Employee discount factored in.) Sold all of them on ebay.

Gamecube Nickelodeon Barnyard $3.75 (I bought 11 of them)
2 Wii remotes $32
Xbox Finding Nemo $2.50
Xbox Barbie Horse Adventures $2.50
Xbox Crash NitroCart $2.50

SA-- Complete near-mint (corners not perfect but damn near close for 15 year old cardboard) Super Metroid! Has everything! Including for some reason a Manuel for the Pitfall SNES game. Still even has a bit of the old orange best buy sealing tape.
5 bucks!

they had some other boxed super Nintendo games, but they were all golf and madden games, and all 5 dollars. I mean they were neat, but I am low on cash and not worth 5 bucks to me. Maybe, a dollar or two, but the only good one was SFII and it was in a rental plastic box.

Found a complete playstation with four controllers, multi-tap, and racing wheel for 15 bucks. I passed on it because all the controllers had cuts and parts falling off. There was an original gameboy with nightsight for 5 bucks, which I also passed on. Found a box of 15 year old mint condition image comics for four bucks. One of them was ruined because they covered it in tape and stickers. You almost never see comics outside the front counter and they're all overpriced at my thrift store so this is amazing!

In all it was 22 comics! x2 Cyber Force Zero #0 (there's a third but that's the ruined one), x3 Storm Watch #4, x12 Deathblow #2, x4 stormwatch #3

bread's done
Back