Tales from Good Will / Salvation Army 2008

Found a Goodwill that sells Target stuff...got Viva Pinata Party Animals for $8. I also found a starter deck of Middle Earth TCG for 59 cents.

I found two copies of :ps3: Ninja Gaiden Sigma and one Folklore for $15 a piece.:bouncy:
I also found a copy of :ps3: MLB 07: The Show but passed on it since I'm not into sports games.

Teach me to run around to a million targets looking for clearance games... All I have to do is wait a little longer and they'll come to me.:whee:
Now if only they'd get some Mediaboard Pros.

I found some Complete Intellivision 2 games and Atari 2600 games they were marked $1.00 but the lady at the desk said "ill give them to you for $.30" even wthout me asking!! NICE!!!

Went to Goodwill, Salvation Army and DAV thrift store on Saturday. Goodwill was balls, with overpriced sega sports games and GH3 360 for 60 bucks. Went to SA, but the lady there sold most of the games, but one was left. It was Star Wars Episode 1 for PS1, and since it was half off, I bought it for 1.50. I then went to DAV and bought a broken SNES controller (Making a anatomy chart of a SNES controller so I need a volunteer) for .99. It was in good condition, but the wire was cut, and I needed a broken one so it was good.

[quote name='videogamemaster']Went to Goodwill, Salvation Army and DAV thrift store on Saturday. Goodwill was balls, with overpriced sega sports games and GH3 360 for 60 bucks. Went to SA, but the lady there sold most of the games, but one was left. It was Star Wars Episode 1 for PS1, and since it was half off, I bought it for 1.50. I then went to DAV and bought a broken SNES controller (Making a anatomy chart of a SNES controller so I need a volunteer) for .99. It was in good condition, but the wire was cut, and I needed a broken one so it was good.[/quote]

I am always amazed when i see cut controller cords at my SA. Why do they sell them?

Pretty good haul today-

SA- Genesis system (original) with propad controller. No av cables, but i heard you can use a NES rf unit so im gonna test it out. Great shape tho- $5.99

Genesis games-
Castlevania: Bloodlines (complete) $1.99
Road rash 3 (complete) $1.99
Shining force (complete) $1.99)
Shining force 2 (box, no book) $1.99
Chakan (cart only) $.99

Sealed Atari space attack game $.79

Comics-
Death of superman - Special collectors package. theres three books in it, but 1 of them is Action comics #1 from 1938 reprint $1.00
First issues #5 Collection pack : supposed to have 4 comics, but only has three. they are Warlock #1 ,Cage #1, and Nomad #1 all from 1992 - $1.00

[quote name='lude21']Pretty good haul today-

SA- Genesis system (original) with propad controller. No av cables, but i heard you can use a NES rf unit so im gonna test it out. Great shape tho- $5.99

Genesis games-
Castlevania: Bloodlines (complete) $1.99
Road rash 3 (complete) $1.99
Shining force (complete) $1.99)
Shining force 2 (box, no book) $1.99
Chakan (cart only) $.99

Sealed Atari space attack game $.79

Comics-
Death of superman - Special collectors package. theres three books in it, but 1 of them is Action comics #1 from 1938 reprint $1.00
First issues #5 Collection pack : supposed to have 4 comics, but only has three. they are Warlock #1 ,Cage #1, and Nomad #1 all from 1992 - $1.00[/QUOTE]

GW or SA?

[quote name='TiKi2']GW or SA?[/QUOTE]

All SA, i dont have any GW by me.
I cant wait to play castlevania bloodlines, i love the castlevania series but never played that one.
i was pleasantly surprised when i saw how much those Shining force games go for. i dont know much about genesis stuff. Definetely gonna try those out too.

[quote name='lude21']All SA, i dont have any GW by me.
I cant wait to play castlevania bloodlines, i love the castlevania series but never played that one.
i was pleasantly surprised when i saw how much those Shining force games go for. i dont know much about genesis stuff. Definetely gonna try those out too.[/QUOTE]

Nice find on the bloodlines. I have a SA close to me but they are so overpriced haven't been back there in years. You'd think these people would actually put a decent price on donated items.

(quote:I am always amazed when i see cut controller cords at my SA. Why do they sell them?)

I guess they think that somebody could repair them, or they don't realize they are cut. When I found the controller, I didn't realize until I bought it that the cable was cut because it was covered in tape.

[quote name='TiKi2']Nice find on the bloodlines. I have a SA close to me but they are so overpriced haven't been back there in years. You'd think these people would actually put a decent price on donated items.[/QUOTE]

Ya, i have 3 local SA, but one of them has crazy prices. Only go there on wed.( 50% off everything with selected color sticker)

[quote name='TiKi2']Nice find on the bloodlines. I have a SA close to me but they are so overpriced haven't been back there in years. You'd think these people would actually put a decent price on donated items.[/quote]

That's how I always feel when I walk into Goodwill. The money is supposed to go to people and help them. That money isn't getting there when they are charging ebay prices + more for crap nobody wants in the first place.

Part of me is pissed because it's overpriced and when I see stuff I want overpriced I get annoyde, the other part of me is pissed because Goodwill and Salvation Army are being a tad bit greedy when there goal should be to set prices to move the stuff and bring money in.

[quote name='schuerm26']That's how I always feel when I walk into Goodwill. The money is supposed to go to people and help them. That money isn't getting there when they are charging ebay prices + more for crap nobody wants in the first place.

Part of me is pissed because it's overpriced and when I see stuff I want overpriced I get annoyde, the other part of me is pissed because Goodwill and Salvation Army are being a tad bit greedy when there goal should be to set prices to move the stuff and bring money in.[/QUOTE]

Just stopped by GW saw ps1 SNES and dreamcast each for $20 non with cables. I didn't even bother. They also had an awesome 1980s style 19 inch TV for the low price of $25

Oh yeh and they don't accept monitors keyboard or computers.

Anger rising...
I went to the SA today, and I hit a gold load. An NES with a zapper, a controller with like 10 games! Bad Dudes, a Simpsons Game, SMB3, SMB+Duck Hunt, and Final Fantasy included.
I only had $30 and they were charging $40... I wish I had the money, but then again I don't think I could have bought it since I have no room for another system...
Oh the profit to be gained...

[quote name='schuerm26']That's how I always feel when I walk into Goodwill. The money is supposed to go to people and help them. That money isn't getting there when they are charging ebay prices + more for crap nobody wants in the first place.

Part of me is pissed because it's overpriced and when I see stuff I want overpriced I get annoyde, the other part of me is pissed because Goodwill and Salvation Army are being a tad bit greedy when there goal should be to set prices to move the stuff and bring money in.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how I feel, there are other ways to donate stuff, and ever since I constantly witness the 8$ pairs of faded jeans from the 90s that no one would ever buy in there I am reluctant to donate to the SA. They don't need to be putting my clothes on their racks to sell at a profit. My city is 70% welfare and there are a lot of people here who need help, so I prefer to donate through the local freecycle group, at least I know the stuff is going to a person who will actually use it and I can see the direct benefit of my donations as they walk off with a smiling face. These people cannot afford to pay 8$ for washed out jeans. Yes I do donate, and no I am not a scrooge.

Their goal should be to set prices that people can afford to pay, the clothing and toys and games are used and often very beat up, plus they get it all for free as donations so they should be setting the prices so the items move and a price that is reasonable for the area that the store is in. For clothing their prices are higher than if I do some bargain shopping on the clearance racks, I can get brand new womens shirts at sears and kmart for 2-3$, mens t-shirts for less than $5 routinely, and they are new and not used, washed out and shrunken. Jeans can be gotten for 3-10$ a pair, shorts and capri pants are more than plentiful on sale. I have capri's from last year that I bought for 5$ a pair that I have not even gotten to yet, they will be worn this summer. For me to pay 8$ for washed out worn and shrunken jeans and 4-5$ for worn and shrunken tshirts is asanine at best.

There are no goodwills around me, all of them closed however I know they send anything of value to their auction site to be auctioned on ebay so it wouldn't be worth it for me to go 1 hour to visit their stores.

[quote name='SaraAB']This is exactly how I feel, there are other ways to donate stuff, and ever since I constantly witness the 8$ pairs of faded jeans from the 90s that no one would ever buy in there I am reluctant to donate to the SA. They don't need to be putting my clothes on their racks to sell at a profit. My city is 70% welfare and there are a lot of people here who need help, so I prefer to donate through the local freecycle group, at least I know the stuff is going to a person who will actually use it and I can see the direct benefit of my donations as they walk off with a smiling face. These people cannot afford to pay 8$ for washed out jeans. Yes I do donate, and no I am not a scrooge.

Their goal should be to set prices that people can afford to pay, the clothing and toys and games are used and often very beat up, plus they get it all for free as donations so they should be setting the prices so the items move and a price that is reasonable for the area that the store is in. For clothing their prices are higher than if I do some bargain shopping on the clearance racks, I can get brand new womens shirts at sears and kmart for 2-3$, mens t-shirts for less than $5 routinely, and they are new and not used, washed out and shrunken. Jeans can be gotten for 3-10$ a pair, shorts and capri pants are more than plentiful on sale. I have capri's from last year that I bought for 5$ a pair that I have not even gotten to yet, they will be worn this summer. For me to pay 8$ for washed out worn and shrunken jeans and 4-5$ for worn and shrunken tshirts is asanine at best.

There are no goodwills around me, all of them closed however I know they send anything of value to their auction site to be auctioned on ebay so it wouldn't be worth it for me to go 1 hour to visit their stores.[/quote]

The sad thing is that in my town people are retarded and think that if something is at SA it is a good deal, and wll buy it, they can sell games that the local Mom and Pop store has had in the bargain bin for months for 2x the price!! I tried to talk them down fron $7 apiece on soem N64 controllers and the manager said those are still $20-$40 at walmart......um, maybe if she hasnt been to walmart since 1999!! they are crazy.

The problem with thrift stores is that you got people who may or may NOT have any knowledge (or think they do) in what they are pricing. Example is the manager who thinks N64 controllers are $20-$40 at Walmart. That manager might think that one game controller is the same as the next even if he/she is comparing that N64 controller next to an XBox 360 wireless controller.

Heck the SA I frequent until this week had an bunch of Guitar Hero 3 Wii's marked at $85. Yes... EIGHTY FIVE DOLLARS. I even told the manager to her face that I could go down the road to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc and get it new for $90. Her response... "so fucking what then go there then." They finally marked them down to $60 this week which is not an great deal but far better than five dollars below frickin retail.

psone (new model) mint
extra av cord, rf adapter, and car adapter power source
The heater gun

No cases :( but manuals pretty damn good condition
Time Crisis
MDK
Final Fantasy VII (original)
Parasite Eve II :)

25 bucks. Not bad with ff and PE

two mint first party snes controllers--2 bucks

not a bad day.

one big thing that cracks me up abotu thrift's is that they think that a PSX fatcase i worth more than a single disk case. one here(is awsome for games) charges $4 per game or $10 if it is a PSX fat pack. I get 360 games for $4 but they still have a stack of Gran Turismo for $10, lol. I did get FFVII for $10 once. people just think the biggert the case is the more it's worth i guess. They had a everything's a dollar sale a few weeks ago ad i got tons of valuable games(Nes-GC) for $1 but the PSX fat packs were still $10(to valuable to put in the $1 sale. lol. cracks me up.

I went to a SA today & they told me I just missed a NES with games, Ps1 games, a few Xbox games, & some SNES games! And they were 50% off to!! What if there was something really good in there?! What if one of the games was Stadium Events?! :whee:

A couple of days ago I picked these up
DSC01529.jpg

I passed on The Hunt for Red October on the SNES, but as I was leaving I saw a box full of comics and picked out the ones from my childhood. I also found the G.I. Joes in a toy box by the clothes section.

[quote name='GoAztecs']A couple of days ago I picked these up
DSC01529.jpg

I passed on The Hunt for Red October on the SNES, but as I was leaving I saw a box full of comics and picked out the ones from my childhood. I also found the G.I. Joes in a toy box by the clothes section.[/quote]

Damn, they have any Marvel Comics????

[quote name='yukafls']Damn, they have any Marvel Comics????[/quote]

No Marvel in the bunch. The box was full of Image Comics which I never really found interesting so I left those for someone who would.

[quote name='Demolition Man']The problem with thrift stores is that you got people who may or may NOT have any knowledge (or think they do) in what they are pricing. Example is the manager who thinks N64 controllers are $20-$40 at Walmart. That manager might think that one game controller is the same as the next even if he/she is comparing that N64 controller next to an XBox 360 wireless controller.

Heck the SA I frequent until this week had an bunch of Guitar Hero 3 Wii's marked at $85. Yes... EIGHTY FIVE DOLLARS. I even told the manager to her face that I could go down the road to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc and get it new for $90. Her response... "so fucking what then go there then." They finally marked them down to $60 this week which is not an great deal but far better than five dollars below frickin retail.[/QUOTE]

It is true that people in my town are retarded too and will buy anything at a thrift because they think its a good deal just because its at the thrift. The only thing I can think of to explain the insane prices on clothing is that people here are uneducated (which is not suprising), everyone knows you can get cheap clothes in the off seasons especially when your an adult and your size does not change much, yet they still pay 8$ for the washed out and shrunken jeans. They must be paying it or else they wouldn't be marking the clothes that high. Our salvation army is also packed too, so much so that you can't even get a parking space in the lot. Probably explains some of the high prices and lack of stock.

Foot locker had a 70% off clearance shoes sale recently, I picked up a pair of new balance sneakers for 3$, there were plenty left too, yet people buy the junk sneakers in other stores that cost more. It amuses me because SA charges at least 5$ per pair for USED shoes. There were a lot of sneakers on sale and the most expensive pair was no more than 25$. Marshalls routinely has tons of sneakers for 19.99-24.99 a pair, yet people still pay 25$ for the walmart junk instead of getting something brand name that will last longer for the same or less money. I will never understand it. Its not like my mom and I spend extra time seeking out clothing deals either, they just come at the end of seasons easily.

I stopped in a SA when I was outta town today. They had Might & Magic something or other for Genesis, a couple not really super new but less than 5 year old dvds(Million Dollar Baby was one of them) and a bunch of TV DVD boxsets.

They had The 4400(don't remember which season), King Of Queens(season 7 or 8), some other dvd boxset I don't recall and the big winner of them all, seasons 2-5 of 24.

All of the season sets were MINT too.

I picked up the seasons of 24, though I may just flip them to FYE or Gamestop or sell them for like $20 a pop on CL.

They also had the Samurai Jack premiere movie that started the series, but I ran outta money buying the boxsets. Hopefully, the relative who I went to a nearby auction with will be going back next week, so I can buy some more of the boxsets up.

how much were the tv on dvd boxsets. I find myself buying those alot more now, cause i have a hard time buying dvds (cause i keep thinking im gonna have to rebuy it on blu-ray) and tv on dvd is just so enjoyable to watch, no commercials and no waiting a week for the next episode (damn you heroes you always had me craving)

Found Avatar Xbox 360, Empire Earth III PC and Universe at War PC for $9.99 each. Also had Belkin iTouch leather cases for $4.99 each but passed on them all. Ended up getting a leather camera bag for our DSLR for $1, was $1.99 but the tag was the 1/2 off color of the day!!

[quote name='Gumby the Green']how much were the tv on dvd boxsets. I find myself buying those alot more now, cause i have a hard time buying dvds (cause i keep thinking im gonna have to rebuy it on blu-ray) and tv on dvd is just so enjoyable to watch, no commercials and no waiting a week for the next episode (damn you heroes you always had me craving)[/quote]

I still buy DVD's but only if they are $1-$2 because i know i can trade them for that much towards blu-ray in the future. I have gotten almost 200 DVD's for under $2 in the last year.

Demolition Man and SaraAB where do you live that these Goodwill's are treating you like this and that they are going crazy with the pricing? E-gads.

[quote name='Gumby the Green']how much were the tv on dvd boxsets. I find myself buying those alot more now, cause i have a hard time buying dvds (cause i keep thinking im gonna have to rebuy it on blu-ray) and tv on dvd is just so enjoyable to watch, no commercials and no waiting a week for the next episode (damn you heroes you always had me craving)[/quote]

They were :whistle2:# cheap, that's all I'm saying, though I may put them up on CL or here for $20 each set. :D :booty:

As for rebuying stuff on a newer format, if I have them on dvd already, I see no reason to rebuy them again on Blu-Ray. I'd rather buy more games for the money it'd cost to rebuy my movies like that.

today found a goodwill with a few old SNES and NES titles. they were all $3 a piece. i only picked up 2.

Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES
Super Mario World - SNES

not bad, i thought.

[quote name='LuisRM']Demolition Man and SaraAB where do you live that these Goodwill's are treating you like this and that they are going crazy with the pricing? E-gads.[/QUOTE]

Niagara Falls NY. Our city is 70% welfare. Land of the taxes (8.75% sales tax on everything except food that you buy at the grocery store, yes our tax is on prepared food as well), our gas is well over 4$ a gallon, we have to pay thruway tolls (that just keep rising) just to drive on the highway and now we cannot even buy goods online tax free at amazon and many other stores. And our salvation army ALWAYS has at least 75% of the spaces filled, they never get games in, their clothes are so worn out, smelly and shrunken that you wouldn't even think of putting them on your body, its the clearance racks in retail stores for me all the way! There is nothing in my size either at the SA, everything for women seems to be sizes 0-10 only and even smaller since its shrunken from whatever they do to the clothes) We don't have goodwill in my immediate city but at the one I visited a few times that was a couple hours away it was just as bad.

I am thinking its something about our area because our St Vincents also charges 5$ a pair for worn out jeans and pants, any toy is 2$, even if its a little piece of junk although I CANNOT say anything bad about St. Vincents because I found a virtual boy there and they gave it to me for 1$ and it worked too (it was in one of the toy bins)! Granted it was only the stand and the glasses part but I got the controller off someone online and a game from ebay and once I hooked it all up it worked perfect.

Went SA . Found Magic the gathering: PLaneswalker for .99 . Guy at the counter was nice. Went to hand him $2 but he says they don't charge tax. He says he knows goodwill charges tax but they shouldn't cause they are a nonprofit.

[quote name='TiKi2']Went SA . Found Magic the gathering: PLaneswalker for .99 . Guy at the counter was nice. Went to hand him $2 but he says they don't charge tax. He says he knows goodwill charges tax but they shouldn't cause they are a nonprofit.[/quote]

lol do not give the name of this store...otherwise it's instant tax audit. Sales tax paid by customers and then forwarded to the respective government agency has nothing to do with their nonprofit status. But eh...he doesn't appear to know better...so keep this store's identity to yourself...............................

Goodwill shouldn't charge sales tax on anything you buy - purchases there are considered a "charitable donation" for tax purposes. The item you buy is considered a gift in exchange for your donation.

Passed on this, but I will be going back
Season 1-5 of Sex and the City Mint
Season 1 and 5 $6, all the others were $8.

Somewhat good haul today from Salvation Army, $5.50 each and complete:
Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II (GCN)
Ogre Battle Limited Edition: March of the Black Queen (PSX)

[quote name='Cao Cao']Somewhat good haul today from Salvation Army, $5.50 each and complete:
Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II (GCN)
Ogre Battle Limited Edition: March of the Black Queen (PSX)[/quote]

Somewhat? You just got Ogre Battle complete for $5.50. That is much much better than a somewhat good haul.

Dreamcast - D2 (Complete; all four discs + case)
NES - A Boy and his Blob (cart only)
NES - Little Nemo: The Dream Master (cart only)

All cost me a dollar each. :D

[quote name='schuerm26']Somewhat? You just got Ogre Battle complete for $5.50. That is much much better than a somewhat good haul.[/quote]

Agreed!!
[quote name='schuerm26']
DSCF0001.jpg

Found these today for $1.48 each

Heart of The Alien is Out of this World Parts 1 and 2.
[/Quote]
Nice, I sold all my SEGA CD games this winter, I never had room to set the system up.

[quote name='Sinnbox']

Nice, I sold all my SEGA CD games this winter, I never had room to set the system up.[/quote] Isn't Sega CD just a little thing that you hook onto the Genesis?

[quote name='darkslime']Isn't Sega CD just a little thing that you hook onto the Genesis?[/quote]
That would be the 32X that's the little thing.

The SEGA CD was huge, regardless of which model you got.

[quote name='Sinnbox']Agreed!!

Nice, I sold all my SEGA CD games this winter, I never had room to set the system up.[/quote]

My SEGA CD was the drawer load edition. I got it at salvation army last year for $20, It was CIB with all manuals/demo cd's. I had about 7 systems set up so i put it on ebay around christmas and it bid up to $100!!

bread's done
Back