Tales from Good Will / Salvation Army 2008

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']Maybe it needs a new 72 pin.[/quote]

[quote name='pitfallharry219']You can purchase a new 72-pin connector and put it on yourself, or you can take the old one off, re-bend the pins, and put it back on.[/quote]

I didn't know what a 72-pin connector was; so I googled it. ;)

I may give it a shot and try to install the 72-pin connector. Thanks, fellas.

Not sure whats up with my Goodwill. I bought probably the nicest snes ive ever seen with cables and a controller for $9 (6 for the system 3 for the controller) a couple months ago and now they have a yellowed dirty snes that has someones name written on it with 2 controllers for $15 (didnt check but i bet the 2nd controller isnt included so thatd make it $18). they also marked all cartridges to $4 instead of $3 which was pushing it for some games

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']Lol a netbook? Shit I would have bought that if it was sealed and new. Those are going for around 300-380 depending on which model you get.

You can make a nice 100 profit on that[/quote]

It was just one of Target's lower-end ASUS netbooks, 512mb ram, Linux. I think they were $250 original. It was opened so I'm pretty sure it was a return and instead of going with AS-IS at Target they sent it to Goodwill (I did see an opened ASUS netbook at Target with an AS-IS sticker for $212, it was purple so it must have been a return from an internet order) . Funny thing, I was looking in the case at a book and the worker walked by and bumped the case, some stuff fell out but since I wanted to book I grabbed it. She says "you can't go in the case! GET OUT OF THERE!" I point out she bumped the case and it was falling out. She says "that's a $10 item! Give it to me!" I say ok and on my way out mention to her she's making a big deal about $10 but she has a $200 computer just sitting on the case. Best part, she says "I know, I put it there" Huh?!

Sometimes I just don't understand the people Goodwill hires.

DSC02690.jpg

Picked these up for 3 dollars each yesterday.

[quote name='vicktor']Not long ago I saw a netbook from Target at Goodwill for $200. $50 off, usually Target stuff is more expensive at Goodwill. Saw a opened Wii Play for a mere $60.50. Strange thing, this Goodwill is about half an hour from any Target.[/quote]

My local Goodwill was the same way for the longest time... only the closest Target was like... at least 3 hours away. I remember when they started it, around late '05 as my family was moving and my mom got some bed sheets for like $10 and I got a wooden clock for like $1.99 that's more of a decoration piece. It covers up a scuff mark on the wall nicely though.

[quote name='Zeguna']My Goodwill just started to think that games = mad profit because I just saw a ps1 for $25.[/quote]

I saw two PS1's. One was the Smaller one and of course the original. They both went for $10.06. But I don't really need em since I have a 60gb PS3. Sad thing is, they priced Game boy Games $8 yet the Sega Cartridges are only $1.06. And like somebody said before, I hate how they put the PC games in with the CD's. Pisses me off just looking through the CD's only to find a PC game here and there.

I'm pretty sure that all of the ps1's I've bought have not even totaled $25. They also keep all the games in a display case which is great.

[quote name='Zeguna']My Goodwill just started to think that games = mad profit because I just saw a ps1 for $25.[/QUOTE]

the one around me sells for 30.

I've had a lot of luck with the thrift stores, i got a working Pioneer LaserActive with Sega Pac and working Toshiba SD2300 Nuon(both rare little known game consoles), several copies of Final Fantasy 7 and more.

Today i went in, picked up a game I saw just for the hell of it for $1.25, turns out this Bust-A-Groove for ps1(mint & complete) still sells for $50-75.

My store tries to bump the price up on some of these games & consoles, but when they miss they REALLY miss.

found a copy of fear effect 2 for ps1 today for $3. disc 1 is pretty beat up, but 2,3,4 are fine. no manual and a sort of beat up case, but not too bad for the price i suppose.

One of the goodwills near me had a bunch of Dreamcast games. Nothing to great, but there was one I was willing to pay the $3 they wanted (Toy Commander). Opened it up, disk was scratched to hell. Didn't look like even resurfacing it would of fixed it. Checked all the other ones, same story.

My good wills tend to sell PS1s for $20. What is outrageust is the $55 N64 one has. Sure, it comes with 2 GAMES :O but they are junk.

Anther one had a console only Xbox for $30, nothing great, but the thing came with a ton of controllers, and all the S Controllers (8 in total) were in some obcure spot for $5 each. Didn't need more the one, so I just got the Blue one they had, and called it a day.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I saw two PS1's. One was the Smaller one and of course the original. They both went for $10.06. But I don't really need em since I have a 60gb PS3. Sad thing is, they priced Game boy Games $8 yet the Sega Cartridges are only $1.06. And like somebody said before, I hate how they put the PC games in with the CD's. Pisses me off just looking through the CD's only to find a PC game here and there.[/QUOTE]

Me too, the Goodwill workers just throw everything into these bins and sometimes you'll find a pc game in the Videotape/DVD bins and etc

But still, the price they sell it for is really good ( price per Pound or sometimes it's $.50 per cd )

Oh and got Medal of Honor: Allied Asault for $.50 today along with The Sims and another game I forgot the name of.

A couple of days ago I got E.V.O.: Search for Eden for 3 bucks. Digitpress says it's a 6 (and it's going for much higher than that on ebay) and it's an Enix SNES game so I'm happy.

[quote name='hopeunknown']found a copy of fear effect 2 for ps1 today for $3. disc 1 is pretty beat up, but 2,3,4 are fine. no manual and a sort of beat up case, but not too bad for the price i suppose.[/quote]

Was this at Savers? That's the only thrift type store I know off in the area.
I found some NES games there once. They were all sports so I didn't buy any. Checked a few other times to no avail.

I picked up a Working SNES last weekend at Goodwill for 5 bucks. One Controller, AV Cable and the Power Adapter. Surprisingly enough, It was a goodwill that is about half hour from us. But none the less, I'm so damn happy lol.

You think its bad that they charge 25 for a PS1? My Goodwill was trying to charge $25.00 for a LASERDISC player. Who the fuck wants a Laserdisc player anymore, let alone a $25.00 one?

They also had it labeled as a "CD Player". I don't what world they live in where CDs are a foot in diameter.

Not my best goodwill find but it was my first in about a month so I thought Id mention it. For $30 I got an Orange N64 with matching controller and cables and 2 fold out camping chairs. The N64 is missing the jump pack cover but it works and is pretty clean for a Goodwill item. They did charge $5 for the controller that most likely came with the N64 which I hate so much cause they do that with any system despite the fact I tell them the controllers came with the system. The folding chairs were a good deal at $4 apiece cause im going camping in 2.5 weeks and Target sells them for $10+

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I picked up a Working SNES last weekend at Goodwill for 5 bucks. One Controller, AV Cable and the Power Adapter. Surprisingly enough, It was a goodwill that is about half hour from us. But none the less, I'm so damn happy lol.[/quote]

fuck, nice find. I've been trying to find a cheap one for some time

[quote name='lolwut?']fuck, nice find. I've been trying to find a cheap one for some time[/quote]

I was quite happy to say the least when I brought it home and it started right up. Now I'm on the hunt for games which is the hard part.

Also, I saw a Laserdisc player at a goodwill for 45 dollars once. I was like. Seriously? For Dead Technology you want 45 dollars? Needless to say, it's still sitting there a month later lol.

usually systems at my goodwill are $6 if they dont have controllers or cables and $15 if they do. ive been lucky enough a few times to find the cables and a controller lying around so i got complete snes and nes for $6 apiece. Havent been lucky enough to show up on 40% off electronics days when they actually have something good

I picked up Ghostbusters(complete with book) and Monopoly for the Sega Master System today for $1.99 each.

They still had Missile Defender, Maze Hunter 3-D and a couple of other SMS games left there for $1.99 each.

I checked the Digit Press rarity guide and Ghostbusters, Maze Hunter and Monopoly are all 3's. Not too good of a pickup, but not too shabby either.

Now I just need a Master System to play them on.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I picked up Ghostbusters(complete with book)[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth The SMS version of Ghostbusters is easily the best version of the game. I still have the copy I bought new ages ago and played it quite a bit back in the day :D Without knowing the other games you saw I'm guessing Ghostbusters was the best in the lot and I'm guessing that Safari Hunt/Hang On was one of the games you passed on.

I just picked up Persona for $1 at a nearby St. Vincent de Paul while looking for an old stereo receiver. I could have picked up a copy of Suikoden for the same price but since I already have it I figured I'd leave it for someone else to find.

good man, I used to do that at pawns until I met the town hoarder one day. I was looking at N64 games, put one down on the counter I was going to buy and he snatched it quick and purchased it with me staring at him. Saw him a few weeks later when I found Earthbound at a pawn, dude gave me a evil eye as I purchased it. Since then, I usually don't leave valuable cheap stuff behind, the likelihood of a jerk finding it are higher than someone who would be truly pleased finding a hidden treasure.

It sux what has happened to our hobby...........

[quote name='Otherguy676']good man, I used to do that at pawns until I met the town hoarder one day. I was looking at N64 games, put one down on the counter I was going to buy and he snatched it quick and purchased it with me staring at him. Saw him a few weeks later when I found Earthbound at a pawn, dude gave me a evil eye as I purchased it. Since then, I usually don't leave valuable cheap stuff behind, the likelihood of a jerk finding it are higher than someone who would be truly pleased finding a hidden treasure.

It sux what has happened to our hobby...........[/quote]
Actually, I havent seen him lately. Neither has anyone from the pawns i go to. However, those people are still out there.

[quote name='Mid Boss']I just picked up Persona for $1 at a nearby St. Vincent de Paul while looking for an old stereo receiver. I could have picked up a copy of Suikoden for the same price but since I already have it I figured I'd leave it for someone else to find.[/quote]
Was going to stated my jelously till I remembered, I can get a "fixed" Persona for psp later this year and Suikoden from the PSN.
GOOD FINDS :D

were they complete though?

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']Was going to stated my jelously till I remembered, I can get a "fixed" Persona for psp later this year and Suikoden from the PSN.
GOOD FINDS :D

were they complete though?[/quote]

Complete and they looked just about brand new. There's not a scratch on the Persona disc and the manual looks like it has never been touched. I'm pretty sure Suikoden was the same way.

Finding that certainly took some of the sting out of seeing what they wanted for the receivers I was looking for. $85 for a 20-30 year old receiver that has probably been beaten to hell and back? No thanks. At that price I might as well buy new or get an a couple year old surround sound setup off ebay.

The local Goodwill had a PS1 w/ 2 controllers, cables, and 2 memory cards for $8 the other day. I just have no use for one and get a little sketched out when the lasers on those things are notoriously terrible. They had a few random 'Cube games too, marked at $6.99 (I grabbed a complete Mario Party 4) and a few XB games too ($14.99 for NFL 2K3 or Amped is a little ridiculous though).

Still hunting for a cheap SNES. Cartridge based systems hold up a hell of a lot better than disk.

Good amount of gaming stuff at my Goodwill today. I saw a N64 with 3 controllers and cables ($15 for the system $5 apiece controllers), a slim PS1 with cables but no controllers for $10, the Atari 2600 thats been there for a month for $15, an NES with 2 controllers and cables for $10, Waynes World for Genesis, random other cables, a 3rd party SNES controller. For $12 I picked up a Quickshot controller for the NES I already have and Jet Force Gemini and Star Wars Rouge Squadron for that orange N64 I got last week. Might pick up the NES if its still there tomorrow since I could probably sell it for more then $10.

Another bust at the local Goodwill. Man, everything there just seems to be getting outrageous in pricing. $8.99 for PC games (granted they were sealed... but they looked like crap you'd see at a Dollar General or Wal-Mart for around $5-$6) They also had a GBA case, identical to the one I have for $2, but it wasn't in that great of shape.

Finally, the item that killed me. I saw a 13" TV for $15. I thought "wow, that's a little high for that size" then noticed it was SDTV. I was ready to pick the thing up and buy it when I saw it was actually priced $75. Um... wow. It wasn't just that... they were selling stuff like lightbulbs for $2 each. I was just at Lowe's beforehand with my dad... and the lightbulbs they were selling were going for like $2.47 new there.

I still plan to go there on occassion, but wow. They're prices used to be great like a year or two ago, but wow. Maybe it's just the fact I've been frequenting the Salvation Army in my town so much and also hitting up a Goodwill like 30 miles away with a hell of a lot better selection and prices.

I have to say, The Shop Good Will website has me hooked. It just sucks cause I'm trying to get some stuff i want but man, nothing but snipers on there.

not only is that TV a bad deal but without cable it's useless unless you get one of those digital antenna box gizmos for it

leave it to SA to sell overpriced tube tv's you can find in a landfill somewhere

About the only recent thing I've found is Road rash 1 & 2 for genesis for 3$ each at SA..meh

The big Goodwill around here gets in lots of games all the time, but theres always literally like 10+ people waiting for them and there sold within seconds of them bringing it out. Probably ebay sellers or something.

[quote name='kiribee']
The big Goodwill around here gets in lots of games all the time, but theres always literally like 10+ people waiting for them and there sold within seconds of them bringing it out. Probably ebay sellers or something.[/quote]

Do they just sit around in the store all day? Sounds counterproductive.

Or is there some specific time that they put new stuff out?

Sounds like all the weird people I see walking around the store all day looking at all the junk. They just examine stuff for hours. It's like they're thinking in their minds if they can somehow make a profit off of it.

Doing stuff like that seems like an awful bother just to re-sell. Going to the SA every day, lol.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']not only is that TV a bad deal but without cable it's useless unless you get one of those digital antenna box gizmos for it[/quote]

Most cable companies soon will require a digital box for anything beyond local channels. Even then you can still watch VHS/DVD and play games with said TV.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Most cable companies soon will require a digital box for anything beyond local channels. Even then you can still watch VHS/DVD and play games with said TV.[/quote]

I certainly hope not, since it's annoying as it is paying $60-ish for basic cable(non digital), though I know if anyone would do it Comcast would butt rape us for another charge gladly.

I'm currently at a GoodWill in New Jersey.

They have games with box (no manual though):
Sonic the Hedgehog
Ecco The Dolphin
Cyborg Justice
Garfield Caught in the Act

They aslo have Bugbsy without the box.

They are selling these for $3.99 each (I don't plan on keeping them for my personal collection).

Should I pick them up before I head home to Maryland tomorrow? Are any of these worth keeping for my collection or selling?

Any advice you can provide would be most appreciated.

Oh, my wife just found me a complete in box, NBA Jam for the Sega Genesis. I love her so much! This is at the same GoodWill store by the way.

She also found me LoLo for the NES. I've never heard of it, but hopefully it's worth something.

[quote name='DrumsVocalsKeys']Oh, my wife just found me a complete in box, NBA Jam for the Sega Genesis. I love her so much! This is at the same GoodWill store by the way.

She also found me LoLo for the NES. I've never heard of it, but hopefully it's worth something.[/quote]
sn't worth too much, but it's a fun game. The sequels are worth a bit.

bread's done
Back