Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

I never find any deals at any local pawn shops. Most of them know about eBay and/or have accounts on eBay and jack the prices up sky high.

[quote name='TheHeef']Man, maybe I'm just in the wrong area for pawn shops, but the first time I walked into the one near my house, I saw a Genesis on the shelf behind the counter with Sonic 1. Schmuck was asking $80 for it.

Walked out, haven't been back since. I have better luck at garage sales and auctions anyway.[/QUOTE]

There are 2 pawn shops nearby my house. One carries alot of high end jewelry, tools, etc, but is ridiculously overpriced on regular stuff. The only "deals" I've ever gotten from there was the official Ace Combat 6 flight stick for $90 and a mispriced Die Hard Collection Bluray set for $7.

The other one a go to is small and dumpy looking, but this guy gets good stuff and usually gives us amazing prices. I've bought several guitars, 4 DS Lites, 3 DSi's and a DSIXL (amongst a buttload of games and movies) for fairly cheap.

My local Pawn Shop goes of eBay prices. Nothing in his store is priced. You have to ask him. He looks it up on eBay and looks for the highest priced ones.

:ps3:Splatterhouse= $10.00
:ps3:Dante's Inferno= $10.00

I also had the pleasure of seeing a homeless dude taking a crap in the bushes by one of my favorite pawnshops.

[quote name='doodmandood']Seeing someone use a building as a toilet is an image one does not soon get out of their heads.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was a first for me. I hope I never see that again.

Not the cheapest shopping day, but not a bad $200 spent...

8a928844.jpg

[quote name='sp00ge']Not the cheapest shopping day, but not a bad $200 spent...

[/QUOTE]

:D
Between this and always finding older boxed PC games... I need to make a trip to your area some day to go thrift shopping.

No! Stay away! Far FAR away! It's all MINE!

As far as the other questions, he usually prices his DS lites at $60/ea, DSi's at $90. The PSP-2001 he priced at $40, because I think it's a bit rough, but it works great. That one I'm keeping, and I might keep the blue DSi and sell my white one. Everything else is going on Amazon. One of the lites already sold this morning.

As far as a DS count goes, in addition to those pictured, there are two white DSi's (one wont run any games/apps, it just gives a black error screen), my gf's 25th Anniversary DSiXL, my daughter's pink DS lite, a beat up silver lite with a broken hinge, and a gold Zelda edition lite. I actually just sold a pink DSi yesterday, too.

Like I said before, this guy gives us some awesome deals because we buy ALOT from him in bulk.

I didn't find any great deals this week, but I did find a pawn shop that has a B2G1 free deal on games. Plus the girl discounted 2 of the games to match the cheapest game.

:ps3:
Wolfenstein= $6.67(B2G1)
Call Of Duty:World At War= $6.67(B2G1)
Heavenly Sword= $6.67(B2G1)
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam= $10.00
Vanquish= $13.99

Wow nice stuff! Theres one pawn shop around here that ALWAYS gets older games for nes/snes/ps/n64/dreamcast. Just all kinds of stuff. Its usually gone when I get there, but every once in a while I find something great.

Today I found some sports titles, so that day was not today.

Found a sealed Snow White Diamond edition Blu/DVD combo pack with the slipcover yesterday, mispriced as a plain DVD for $3. I thought it would be a good flip, but decided to give it to the girlfriend since she's in to that, and though she hates blu ray for movies she loves it for animation.

Great find today! Saw Dead Space 2 without a price, decided to ask for how much. Guy said $7.

Then I saw some more games in the back that had just been traded in. Fable 2, some other crap, and what's this? Fable 3!

How much did the guy ask for? $12. Great find! I also saw Assassin's Creed Brotherhood for the PS3 back there, but I don't have a PS3 anyway. Probably could have tacked it on for $5, but whatever might as well leave it for some lucky person to find.

[quote name='sp00ge']Not the cheapest shopping day, but not a bad $200 spent...

8a928844.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Just so you know. That is the Daxter bundle of the PSP. Which means it is with significantly more than normal PSPs.

I just found a pawn shop in my town! I don't know how long its been there . . . they push gold but have some DVDs and games. I only had a few minutes . . . looks like recent stuff is priced too high but I spotted some GC games and asked "$5 each."

Had him bring down Zelda Windwaker and Ocarina/Master Quest. Also spotted Phantasy Star episode 1 and 2 . . . but no disc in the case fuck.

Anyway, the Zeldas had no instructions so I got him to take $8 for the pair.

Over the past few months I've found at pawn shops:
Mass Effect 2 (ps3)$7
Spiderman shattered dimensions $7
Gran Turismo 5 $10
RDR $10
Fable 3 $15
MVC 3 $10
Black Ops $15
RE 5 gold $10
NBA 2k11 $15
AssCreed Bro $20
Castlevania LOS $20
Madden 11 $10
NCAA 11 $8
NFS Hot pursuit $15

There are so many awesome pawn shop tales here. I've never been to a pawn shop before, I always thought they were places ran by greedy money hungry people so I feel nervous going into them and feel like it'd be a waste of time. D:

Although I see by some of these posts some are exactly that - overpriced and greedy. But I'd love to run into some cheap classic console games...maybe I'll muster up the courage to go pawn shop hopping one day. We got a LOT here. Nice looking ones...and some really not so nice looking ones. :/

These posts here sure are an inspiration for it anyhow.

I knew that if I kept hitting my local pawn I'd score something eventually.

Titan Maximum Season 1 $2.50
Fanny & Alexander Criterion (theatrical 2 disc) $2.50
Crysis 2 (with working LE code) $10

Passed on but may go back for:

Frisky Dingo (season 1) $2.50
Fable 3 $10
Castlevania LoS $10

went to 2 pawnshops today (owned by the same company, on the same street) and while I only bought 1 video game, I did find some great dvd deals. Last time i went, I scored pokemon white for $10.

$10 - Spyro the dragon, 4400 season 2.
story:
saw one lonely ps1 game for $5 amongst tons of movies. We got to talking about tv shows, and he said he had a bunch in back, but there were tons more at the other place. Talked down from $13 to $10 total, and while yes 4400 was not the best deal the following more than makes up for it

$50 + tax - Eureka seasons 1, 2 & Doctor Who series 1, 2, 3
Other place, guy said he was checking internet for prices, no idea where he was looking, but he wanted $40 for DW and $20 for Eureka, took $50, and I had to pay tax and fill out a receipt because I didn't have that much cash. Only disappointment was the computer said they had Torchwood, but they couldn't find them in the inventory.

[quote name='rocketcat']There are so many awesome pawn shop tales here. I've never been to a pawn shop before, I always thought they were places ran by greedy money hungry people so I feel nervous going into them and feel like it'd be a waste of time. D:

Although I see by some of these posts some are exactly that - overpriced and greedy. But I'd love to run into some cheap classic console games...maybe I'll muster up the courage to go pawn shop hopping one day. We got a LOT here. Nice looking ones...and some really not so nice looking ones. :/

These posts here sure are an inspiration for it anyhow.[/QUOTE]
Don't let it intimidate you, there's no reason not to check them out. They usually wont haggle you there, and it's great to hunt for games there. I recommend you keep an eye out for people coming in to sell stuff to them, or stuff behind the counter that hasn't been priced. Usually Pawn Shop people are oblivious to game prices, that's when you "strike" :lol:

Offer them something and see if they take it. Also know that all the prices are negotiable. See something that's $12? Offer $9. Hell, offer to take 3 games, offer $7 each. You can really luck out. This won't always work, but when it does it's great to find solid deals. Go for it.

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']Don't let it intimidate you, there's no reason not to check them out. They usually wont haggle you there, and it's great to hunt for games there. I recommend you keep an eye out for people coming in to sell stuff to them, or stuff behind the counter that hasn't been priced. Usually Pawn Shop people are oblivious to game prices, that's when you "strike" :lol:

Offer them something and see if they take it. Also know that all the prices are negotiable. See something that's $12? Offer $9. Hell, offer to take 3 games, offer $7 each. You can really luck out. This won't always work, but when it does it's great to find solid deals. Go for it.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, the Pawn Shops here aren't too different from the Thrift Stores in that they just assume Video Games always = Money, and as a result they have huge stacks of absolutely worthless PS2, and X-Box games that have piled up over the years simply because they refuse to come down in price from the $10 - $20 each they want. Don't even get me started on the outrageous prices they think they're going to get for current gen games.

[quote name='spmahn']I dunno, the Pawn Shops here aren't too different from the Thrift Stores in that they just assume Video Games always = Money, and as a result they have huge stacks of absolutely worthless PS2, and X-Box games that have piled up over the years simply because they refuse to come down in price from the $10 - $20 each they want. Don't even get me started on the outrageous prices they think they're going to get for current gen games.[/QUOTE]

I agree I was at one that wanted 150 for a gamecube, and some crazy number for the games. However, one place had an atari for 170? i think, and one day it was gone, the owner said somebody finally bought it (i cannot imagine why someone would have paid anywhere near that for the lot).

Seems to reinforce the idea that its all about the right buyer, and really in the scheme of things, how much space does that game take up?

my nearest shop is pretty good on blus and games. sell all blus for $5 and pretty much all games for $10, newest game i have seen so far is thor for $10 but im waiting for the LA Noire types to show up

[quote name='spmahn'] huge stacks of absolutely worthless PS2, and X-Box games that have piled up over the years [/QUOTE]

This is what I've seen here. I found another shop I didn't know about (he's been around for 7 years LOL). But they really emphasize buying gold . . . so even driving past it isn't clear they have games.

Anyway, I'll have to comb through but I see 2 copies of Mario Sunshine and I know I can flip a nice complete copy for $20 . . . so I ask about GC games and he says $20 each . . . fuck

I did spot a nice complete copy of Allied General PS1 and he's says $3 . . . sold.

My second trip to other shop turned up Zelda SNES and Lost Vikings for $5 (for the pair).

got a copy of black ops for ps3 for $10, not the greatest deal but coulda been worse. Im trying to find a place with cheap blus (like 4 bucks but that place probably doesnt exist). Was in a few shops this weekend and had to laugh, wanted about $8 for most SNES and Genesis games.

I love my pawn shops. Stop at one and sell 2 pieces of shovelware from target clearance that I literally bought just to cannibalize the cases for and get double what I paid for them, stop at the next and get Killzone 3 and a waffle maker for $20. He wanted 15 for KZ3 and 7 for the waffle maker, I offered 20 for both and he seemed more than happy, I should haggle with him more often.

MW2 Hardened for $10 out the door. Disc is kinda scratched, the steelbook is in decent condition, and the art book has a bit of a scratch on the binding, but not bad I guess.

Also saw Fallout 3 GOTY for $6, but I only had a $10 on me (which I spent on MW2), might go back today. Don't care for Fallout, but might be a nice flip.

[quote name='schultzed']This is what I've seen here. I found another shop I didn't know about (he's been around for 7 years LOL). But they really emphasize buying gold . . . so even driving past it isn't clear they have games.

Anyway, I'll have to comb through but I see 2 copies of Mario Sunshine and I know I can flip a nice complete copy for $20 . . . so I ask about GC games and he says $20 each . . . fuck

I did spot a nice complete copy of Allied General PS1 and he's says $3 . . . sold.

My second trip to other shop turned up Zelda SNES and Lost Vikings for $5 (for the pair).[/QUOTE]

At a local pawn here I've seen a Silent Hill 3 dip as low as $3 when the demand was weaker and then shoot back up to $20 fuck For the most part their prices are outrageous so I don't feel so bad about the time... [I lowballed them on a stack of strategy guides for $1.50 each] :cool:

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']At a local pawn here I've seen a Silent Hill 3 dip as low as $3 when the demand was weaker and then shoot back up to $20 fuck For the most part their prices are outrageous so I don't feel so bad about the time... [I lowballed them on a stack of strategy guides for $1.50 each] :cool:[/QUOTE]
I picked up a complete SH3 for $3 a week or two back ;P

I walked into a Pawn Shop I don't generally go into, and these guys have everything literally priced at GS prices (Assassin's Creed II for $17.99, f****g Black Ops at $55).

I caught some games that hadn't been priced yet, and I saw LA Noire! There were some other games there too, so I asked about them instead of LA Noire. They went to the computer and two minutes later they told me Dance Central was $49.99.

After that, I asked someone else that looked less tech savvy, and she did the same thing when I asked about some FIFA game they had. $49.99 too (I think it was the newest one?)

Heck I'd be willing to do $20 for LA Noire, but knowing them they'd charge about $49.99

[quote name='aptanor']I picked up a complete SH3 for $3 a week or two back ;P[/QUOTE]

I've got one already actually :bouncy: It's just the principle of the thing! :hot:

I'm in pawn shops all the time delivery crap, I wish I had the time to take a look around.

-Note to self, Punch in break while your in there, you might get lucky.

All of my pawn shop finds, were found in great condition. Disc are either not scratched or lightly scratched and all appropriate dics were available. Cases are not broken or cracked.

On my birthday one year, I found a black version of FF7 for $3.99, but no manual.

One the same day, I found a black FF8($3.99) and a GH Silent Hill($7.99) at two different pawn shops.
I have found a factory sealed copy of Front Mission (PSO) for less than $5 but passed on it.
A working black Gameboy Micro $20.
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max (PSP) $10
Call of Duty: Wafare Moblized (DS) $10
WarioWare:Smooth Mooves $15. This was when Gamestop starting charging $40 for a used copy.

Dante's Inferno disc only for the xbox for $2 (decent enough condition), Street Fighter IV arcade stick (the regular one) with the box and all the little stuff that comes with it for $40 out the door, and just yesterday I found Fear 3 for the PS3 for $10 out the door, I think I saw Killzone 3 there, but since the manager was there the guy said that I'd have to wait until today, so I'll go by there and pick that up too.

I stopped in a somewhat remote pawn on Saturday and was excited to see SNES games, except they had priced them 'based on ebay'.

Why can't people understand that if they want ebay prices they need to sell on ebay?

I highly doubt that the yellowed SNES they had priced at $90 was based on ebay, though.

Do not understand this basing the price off ebay. I haven't seen that in any of the pawn shops in town or the surrounding suburbs (Denver), probably because they know it won't fly. On a separate and more appropriate note, I saw a gold Zelda DS Lite at a pawn shop but it was for 90...alas. I'd love to get it but I'm not sure if it's worth it at that price.

don't you guys know that if its priced a dollar or two less than gamestop's used price you're getting one heck of a deal?!?!?!?

lol

Mine use to have some awesome deals until they started checking ebay and got a guy that actually knows about games before that they had Resident Evil 5 2 weeks after it was released for 15 bucks. They got Brink around 2 weeks after it was released and it was 30 which wasn't that great of a deal. They price about every ps3/360 game for 15-25 anymore. If its newer its around 30. Use to be 20 at most for a game and I could usually get it for 15 bucks if it was priced for 20.

[quote name='jer7583']don't you guys know that if its priced a dollar or two less than gamestop's used price you're getting one heck of a deal?!?!?!?

lol[/QUOTE]
I was in one PS yesterday and kind of grimaced at the prices and the guy took offense, telling me that they have great prices, half off the local walmart price! Sheesh.

bread's done
Back