Tales from the Pawn Shop(s)!

Picked up Resident Evil 5(PS3) for $12 and Mario Party 4 for $3, both complete and in great condition. RE5 was initially $20 and MP was $5 which was fine with me, but the guy took them down in price at the register, I never even asked him to... pretty cool! I also saw a MGS Digital Graphic Novel but there was a need for speed UMD inside so I had to pass.

Ok finds at a different pawn shop than usual -

All cart only

Genesis ($2)

Jewel Master (originally left it since I assumed it was some crappy columns clone)

N64 ($3 each)

Rogue Squadron
Goldeneye 007
Perfect Dark
Quake II
Cruisin USA
Zelda: Majoras Mask

Not the most amazing games except for the Zelda.. but I put it up on CL hoping someone wants to trade for anything else decent, and if not, I'll probably just sell it and break even on most of the finds.

Shit's expensive in Toronto, even in the pawns, especially with the CAD strong against the USD. EBGames had a *used* PS2 Eyetoy (which is perfectly servicable as a PC webcam) for $50 whereas you can get one here for $3. Highlight was one clerk asking if we knew how to install a pirated copy of a game on his laptop.

[quote name='Roufuss']

Jewel Master (originally left it since I assumed it was some crappy columns clone)

.[/QUOTE]

I bought that game because I thought it was a crappy Columns clone! It turned out to be a lame Castlevaina/Altered Beast hybrid with rings.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']I bought that game because I thought it was a crappy Columns clone! It turned out to be a lame Castlevaina/Altered Beast hybrid with rings.[/QUOTE]

Ha!

It's not so bad, it has some pretty awesome music I will give it that much :p

Today's finds are twofold -

While not really a pawn shop find, I already set up a trade for the extra copy of Majora's Mask I picked up yesterday for a cart only copy of Banjo Tooie. It will end up costing me about $6 in the span of a few days to get copies of both Kazooie and Tooie at this point, pretty good deal all around.

The second find was at the local Goodwill.. finally decided to trek on down there after seeing some people report some pretty decent finds. The only thing I found worth grabbing was an original big box copy of Alpha Centauri for the PC.. complete with manuals, tech tree, everything it originally came with, for $4.06. Pretty awesome find, imo. Not real sure if it's even worth anything (considering you can import one of those re-release ones pretty cheap) .. only copy I found was some seller trying to sell one for $45 on Ebay in their store, but I didn't grab it to flip it, it's for my own personal collection.

This same Goodwill had Dreamcast controllers for almost $35 too... they were out of their mind.

We don't really have a "consolidated haul" thread(except for the monthly thing, but that seems to be for another purpose), so I'll post my finds from a few places yesterday:

FROM THE PAWN SHOP:
Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury 2
Metroid II
Zelda DX
Zelda Oracle of Seasons
Megaman X Collection (PS2)
Metroid Prime 2
All for $3.50!

FROM FYE
Lost Planet - $20 but free after rebate
NGE Movie Two Pack - $30 (they had it marked used but the DVDs are both sealed)
Phantasy Star Episodes I & II - $1.50 (xbox - sealed)
House the Dead III (xbox - sealed) - $15

FROM THE GOODWILL
Dreamcast System w/ controller, memory card(needs cables) - $5
Sega Rally 2 - $3
There was a case for HOTD II but no game inside which made me frowny face

FROM THE LOCAL NON-FRANCHISED BBV:
Killzone 2 - $15
SF IV (360) - $15
Fear 2 (360) - $15
Mario & Sonic (wii) - $10

Overall I'd like to think I did pretty well!

Whoa, another nice little score!

PS3 Sixaxis Controller - $20
Clock Tower 3 - $4
Rule of Rose - $4
Silent Hill 2 - $4
Morrowind GOTY - $4

All games are complete and in excellent condition. If that's not enough, the woman threw in some memory cards, 2 gamecube and 1 playstation 2(all 1st party) for FREE! Not too shabby...

More finds from the local shop, all cart only, both for N64

Pokemon Snap - $5
F-Zero X - $5

Overpaid on these by $1 or $2, imo, but I'm still getting a deal compared to the going cost of Ebay + shipping... and this is the first time I've ever seen F-Zero X in the wild. The store originally wanted $8 per game, but I talked them down.

A different store yielded -

R.C Pro Am (NES) - $2

What's crazy is that the store where I got the N64 games had Pro Am, but wanted $8 and it was in bad condition... went to a different store, they had the same game, and it was the ONLY retro game they had. What are the odds? It was listed at $3, they sold it to me for $2 because it had been there since October 2007 according to the tag.

Then I hit up the usual pawn shop I find all my deals at -

Uniracers (SNES) - $2
War Gods (N64) - $2

War Gods I figured why not, and with Uniracers, I'll never turn down a non sports halfway decent SNES game for $2.

And I just got back from traded my cheap Majora's Mask I got at a pawn (that was a double) for a minty fresh copy of Banjo Tooie. All in all, a good day.

Got a ton of games this week at Pawn Shops for the 360

Assassins Creed - 3 bucks
Overlord - 4 bucks
Fallout 3 - 15 bucks
Lost Planet Extreme blah blah -2 bucks
Condemned -3 bucks
Condemned 2 -3 bucks
Darkness - 3 bucks
Skate - 2 bucks
Crackdown - 2 bucks

All were in great condition, didn't even look played.

Went to a local pawnshop, and noticed they had a big ol' box of PS1 games all for $2 each. I picked up the following:

-Shadow Tower
-Digimon World 1
-Saga Frontier
-Final Fantasy VII
-Resident Evil 3
-Threads of Fate
-Strider 2 (finally!)
-Tecmo's Deception
-Kagero: Deception II
-Panzer Front

All games are complete, some are great and some need their cases replaced. I'm really quite pleased with this little haul.

My local pawnshop has terrible prices, so I know I'll never find a deal from them. But I just waned to mention what I saw. A fat DS with the charger for 75 dollars, and right next to it a Super Nintendo with no cords or controllers listed at 85 dollars.

[quote name='ohram']My local pawnshop has terrible prices, so I know I'll never find a deal from them. But I just waned to mention what I saw. A fat DS with the charger for 75 dollars, and right next to it a Super Nintendo with no cords or controllers listed at 85 dollars.[/QUOTE]

My local pawn shop has an NES which I believe is console-only, selling for 100$. But they also have a 2$ bin where they throw in random games, sometimes rare/good games. Really sometimes I feel like I just shouldn't go there because of some of their outrageous prices, but it feels good to know I rip them off on some of the games I find in that bin.

[quote name='eastshore4']Went to a local pawnshop, and noticed they had a big ol' box of PS1 games all for $2 each. I picked up the following:

-Shadow Tower
-Digimon World 1
-Saga Frontier
-Final Fantasy VII
-Resident Evil 3
-Threads of Fate
-Strider 2 (finally!)
-Tecmo's Deception
-Panzer Front

All games are complete, some are great and some need their cases replaced. I'm really quite pleased with this little haul.[/QUOTE]

That's ridiculous. The best deal I ever got at this pawn shop was $5 for Final Fantasy Anthology GH. I've noticed, though, that when their ****hole boss isn't there, they'll take pretty much anything for their games.

I got Paper Mario Thousand Year Door GC (marked $15), Tetris Attack SNES (marked $8) and Super Mario World (marked $5) there a couple weeks back. I asked the dude there if he'd take $10 bucks for all and he said "What!? Hell no! I'll take $12."

Ha, a pawn shop offered me 25 Genesis games, all CIB, for $10.

What's the catch?

Every single game was a sports game. I think this might have been every "real" sports games on the Genesis.

I declined. I guess they have had those same games for almost a year according to the tags.

[quote name='eastshore4']Went to a local pawnshop, and noticed they had a big ol' box of PS1 games all for $2 each. I picked up the following:

-Shadow Tower
-Digimon World 1
-Saga Frontier
-Final Fantasy VII
-Resident Evil 3
-Threads of Fate
-Strider 2 (finally!)
-Tecmo's Deception
-Panzer Front

All games are complete, some are great and some need their cases replaced. I'm really quite pleased with this little haul.[/QUOTE]

That is an awesome deal.. around here, finding a PS1, Saturn, Gameboy / GBC, or non sports Dreamcast game is a real rarity. The only time I've seen a PS1 game in the past two weeks was Spider-Man for $8. For some reason every single pawn shop has a copy of NFL 2K or 2K1 for the Dreamcast, though.

I have no trouble tracking down NES, SNES, some Genesis, N64 (tons of them), and all the newer stuff, though.

Not a lot of GBA stuff around here, now that I think about it, or handheld stuff at all.

Dude. NFL 2K1 on DC is the only sports game I've ever purchased (outside of Mario crap), and it's still freakin' awesome! My brother let me play his Madden 09 on my PS3. I'd rather play NFL 2K1 any day!

Disclaimer: This post is legit, too legit. But I hate sports.

Went to two pawn shops today, first one was great (Crackdown - $5, Zelda Twilight Princess Wii - $13, Uncharted - $13, and they threw in Halo 3 legendary bonus content for free), second one was laughable (N64 for $70, NES games $10+, $25 GBC's etc). I doubt I'll be going back to that one anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice score! I got it for my birthday last year (September) just before I moved out of my parents' house (who have the Wii) and I never did get a chance to play it. It's still sitting on my shelf all minty, waiting on me. Let me know if you get a chance.

[quote name='phoenix529']Dude. NFL 2K1 on DC is the only sports game I've ever purchased (outside of Mario crap), and it's still freakin' awesome! My brother let me play his Madden 09 on my PS3. I'd rather play NFL 2K1 any day!

Disclaimer: This post is legit, too legit. But I hate sports.[/QUOTE]

Hell to the yeah. DC sports games are still great after all these years. They have a certain something about them that makes them so fun. I love NHL 2k still, and not just because I'm a Brendan Shanahan fan :lol:

I don't really like sports much, except hockey and a little football sometimes, and I really hate sports games, but those DC games were great.

Not an amazing score, but I was glad to find it.
Picross DS for $10. They also had Yoshi's Story for N64 for $7, but I didn't grab it, and they wanted $13 for a beat-up, scratch-buffed MGS PS1.

Found Baldur's Gate II: Dark Alliance complete at a pawn shop today for...
$7.99....
which was funny, cause we picked up Legend of Spyro 2 for more.

I've been looking to find a good deal on a gamecube for a while now, and I noticed the local pawn had one with a gameboy player on it. They were asking $40, I talked them down to $35, which is a meh price but whatever I'll take it. Then they brought out the bag of accesories and cables, and there was a wavebird in there, along with some other various cables(including an rf modulator?). I find a complete copy of Mario Party 7, asked the price and they threw it in for free. Then I get home, and notice that in the bag of accessories there are also two memory cards as well. THEN, I open the disc tray and there's the first disc for tales of symphonia. This gamecube just keeps on giving!

This week I got Silent Hill: Origins, Suikoden III, and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for $5.00 each. I also picked up Call Of Duty: Rising Sun in a bargain bin for $1.50.

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - $7.99

Complete, with manuals, inserts, everything it came with originally, even the Gamestop used stickers that say $29.99 on them.

2 NES games for $5

Pac-Man (Namco)
Zanac

I couldn't remember if I needed Pac-Man (I did I had the Tengen licensed version) and added in Zanac to replace my copy in lesser condition since the NES games are $3 each or 2 for $5

Had a damn good pawn day today! No pics unless you guys p.o.i.d.h. me.

Got all these CDs for $1 each:

Disturbed - The Sickness (stolen)
Powerman 5000 - Tonight the Stars Revolt!(lost)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way(never owned it)
Coldplay - Parachutes(wanted it)
Story of the Year - In the Wake of Determination(meant to buy it when it came out, never got around to it)
Dream Theater - Octavarium(figured I'd check these guys out)
Smile Empty Soul - Vultures (signed by the whole band)

After that, I saw some PS3 games in the case and noticed that the sticker on the side of Uncharted said "5" and wrapped around the back like it was lopsided. All the rest of the games were overpriced, so I asked to look at it to see what the number in front of the 5 was. They opened the case and there was no number in front of it. I simply said "thanks" and sauntered up to the counter with my finds. Opened the case when I got up there and the manual was in it too, mint. I didn't even think about asking if that price was for real, just pretended to assume. Indeed, He rang me up for $12.99 (with the 7 CDs).

Uncharted for $5!!!

Oh, and if anybody wants, they had Fight Night Round 3 (GH) and Facebreaker for $5 each also, plus GTA IV at $15, and Kingdom Hearts and Silent Hill(GH) for $15 each. I can ship if you pay shipping.

Edit: Added CD parentheticals and Pawn shop's extra PS3 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='phoenix529']Uncharted for $5!!![/QUOTE]

Nice find on Uncharted. Unfortunately you tainted your findings with a Coldplay CD.

Yeah. I figured that would come out, but my tastes are crazy. I can listen to Coldplay, Shadows Fall, and Alabama all within like 10 minutes and be blissfully happy.

Picked up Super Smash bros and Mario Party for the 64 today at 8 each. Not too bad, but this place use to charge only 6 for N64 games. A few of the older titles that they still have lying around still carry that price tag too. Just has some magic marker on the top with some kids name on it, just a little work and it'll be good as..."very good" condition.

I also saw a complete copy of Super Princess Peach for 20, a pick up?

I was thinking of playing first, wouldnt mind playing a mario related platformer, its been a while. After that, it doesnt seem like a title I would keep to collect though, so Im leaning towards flip after play unless it turns out I actually enjoy the game enough to replay or something.

Well, if you're lucky, flipping it will net you a buck or two, otherwise you'll probably lose money. If you wanna play it (which you probably don't since you didn't grab it), just buy it off eBay for $15-20. As for the game itself, I couldn't say. I've never played it.

If you're buying to keep, maybe. To flip, not at all.

Also, that game is frustrating as hell. You can complete a level without getting all the toads, but you cant get to the final boss unless you go back and get ALL OF THEM. I've been stuck for about a year because I don't know how to get to the last toad.

Well, its a game that I'm not too interested in, but I'll probably end up picking it up next time I go there. I recently started playing with the ds again too, its been about 4 months since I've last played, which is why I'm interesting in adding a few more titles. Although ebay might be a few dollars less, its just easier to pick this up at a physical store obviosuly, and they do let me inspect the item before I walk out of the door. Honestly though, if it were actually 15 dollars or less, I would have picked it up without a second though, but for 20, there are some considerations.

[quote name='Link927']I was thinking of playing first, wouldnt mind playing a mario related platformer, its been a while. After that, it doesnt seem like a title I would keep to collect though, so Im leaning towards flip after play unless it turns out I actually enjoy the game enough to replay or something.[/QUOTE]

this game is tits hella fun gotta play it through

Just an update on my pawn finds today.

1. Dream Theater is amazing!!! Anybody else listen to them?

2. Uncharted is good. But why is it getting all this praise while Tomb Raider Underworld sits in the corner sobbing?

Because Tomb Raider has been done before Lara Croft can only be reinvented so many times.....

And Uncharted came out first and it was one of the 1st games to show what the ps3 can do graphically.

[quote name='phoenix529']See, I was expecting that answer. But putting Nate in Lara's shoes is essentially reinventing Tomb Raider.[/QUOTE]

I always describe Uncharted as Tomb Raider, only fun.

Went to the local pawn shop, with the decent retro deals, and found a CIB Sword of Vermilion for the Genesis. Thinking it was only $2, and needing to break a $20 to pay some CL people, I was set to pick it up knowing it's not *that* great.

To my surprise, the price tag read $4.99.. I tried to haggle it down to the $2 every other retro game is at, but got shut down.

Now, I'm not sure if its marked higher because it is complete, or they are thinking that because someone (namely me and my bf) have been buying the retro games as soon as they get them in for the most part they can charge more.

$2 is a sweet spot for a common retro game for me, I'll only pay more if it's a classic of some sort, but $5 for common games? That starts to push the edge, imo. I guess I'll have to wait and see if they get any other cart only games in and what the price is on those.

I will be quite disappointed if they start to jack the prices up, because they don't really get in much that is worth more than $2 or $3. I almost did buy SoV, because hey, it is a CIB Genesis game.. but I don't want to support the pawn shop raising their prices. Hopefully if they sit on this one (it has been there a few days now) they will lower the prices back down.

I got Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition for Gamecube, disc only, for $8 at such a shop once, but that's really the extent of my good luck.

bread's done
Back