Tales of Graces f - 3/13/12

Ok, so the battle system is a little bit simpler than I thought but I'm still having trouble with my allies staying alive in boss fights and against large numbers of enemies. I've been playing with Orders lately to see if I can help prevent this. Basically the Assault Artes work against enemies that Burst artes don't and vise versa. It's more or less that simple and gaining artes is done through titles, which are leveled via SP through battles, requests and items. Higher combos on enemies also mean much higher damage against said enemy and boy can it rise up there, so the game is pretty combo heavy.

The Eleth Mixer uses a material called Eleth (go figure) that serves a couple purposes. The slots and the amount of Eleth the Mixer has will entirely depend on how often it gets used. So you'll want to use it often and refill it at any shop you encounter as it's very beneficial and refilling is rather cheap. Basically it comes down to a few ways it can be used:

(1) Cooking. You can put a dualized cooking item that restores HP, buffs the party, etc in there. Depending on the food will depend on when it can be triggered. Example is that Rice Balls trigger in battle when below 60% health. So it uses 10 Eleth (based on the food item) to restore 11% health to me in battle when I fall below 60% health. It acts on a time basis in battle I believe, so it can happen multiple times in a long battle.
(2) Usable/Crafting Items. It can duplicate items based on the amount you run around in the game. The more rare the item the harder it is to produce and the more Eleth it takes when the Mixer duplicates an item.
(3) Spellbooks. These can perform various options and in some cases may require other items placed in the Mixer to work properly. Ones I've encountered so far do things like restore 5% of the Eleth Mixer when the Eleth Mixer doesn't activate in a battle or Increase SP Gain by 10% at end of battle at the cost of some Eleth.

Now the neat thing about the Eleth Mixer is once you put an item in it, it doesn't consume it or hold it, preventing you from using it. So if you put an item in there and use it all up, it will still be in the Eleth Mixer and can duplicate or activate when it needs to. Once you remove it though, you can't add it back unless you have that item in your inventory. A quick example being is that I put an Apple Gel in there and use all 15 Apple Gels and have none left, it will duplicate if I have Eleth available and walk around a bit.

Crafting seems to be a little more complicated. I haven't entirely figured it out yet, but I think I'm getting the hang of things. Normal crafting items seem to be mostly used for crafting items you can sell for Gald or higher tiers of crafting items. Combining food items is more or less cooking, separate from crafting items. Then you have shards that change weapon quality and the weapons effect and items that when combined with weapons will upgrade them to different weapons. The straight up upgrading is is straight forward but coming across the items that you can use to craft seems pretty uncommon so far. As for the shards that increase quality and change/add a weapon effect, they are pretty common. Not entirely sure what quality actually does, but it probably increases the weapon attributes a bit.

I've also recently learned that if you fight enough of the same enemy, a soul (key item) will drop. Not sure what this is used for, but each enemy can only drop a soul once and a star will appear in the beast book on their enemy page if you obtained one from them.

EDIT: I should stop wasting so much time at work posting these tidbits. Could probably find this stuff elsewhere that's a bit more detailed and concise.

EDIT 2: Changed Crystals to Shards to correct the proper name.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Draekon']Once you remove it though, you can't add it back unless you have that item in your inventory. A quick example being is that I put an Apple Gel in there and use all 15 Apple Gels and have none left, it will duplicate if I have Eleth available and walk around a bit.
[/QUOTE]

Actually you can put items in there with x0 inventory. Makes it a lot easier to farm dualizing materials. It's a good idea to keep an easy to produce item like a clam in there to keep increasing the inventory for the mixer.

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']Actually you can put items in there with x0 inventory. Makes it a lot easier to farm dualizing materials.[/QUOTE]

So you can put items in there after you've exhausted the item?

[quote name='Draekon']So you can put items in there after you've exhausted the item?[/QUOTE]

Yes. I did it yesterday too. It shows up as x0.

The library has a book for all the tutorial messages. I went back and read the battle stuff again, and I'm getting the combat a lot more.

Still need to figure out how to utilize upgrading weapons and armour, tampering, and extracting crystals better. I was just doing it just cause I could, but I probably shouldn't.

My biggest gripe is the auto-targeting of the center enemy all the time, which is fine, of you use Asbel... But my Sophie doesn't have an AoE attack like Asbel's sword. Maybe she does, but I haven't messed around with all the skills I have yet.

The more you know I guess.

And yeah, I'm still trying to figure that out with the shards and weapons/equipment too. Could use a guide, but I'd rather wait until a second playthrough.

And my Sophie has pretty much turned into a speed healer. I let her attack against normal enemies, but I keep her focus on healing below 75% health. Since I focused on healing skill titles she's decently quick at doing it (except for Rejuvination which takes forever).

Oh and fuck status effects in this game. They are a lot harder to take and in the current area I'm in slow is pissing me off and wishing I did the Request for the Slow Charm (or bought one which I think was available) in the last shop.

I'm pretty sure the only reason why I am still playing this is because there is absolutely nothing else out of interest. Putting it up on Amazon immediately after finishing it. The only thing I like about it is the general JRPG feel of the game. Everything else is mediocre to torture.

I have a totally different opinion of the game. The story is definitely generic but the combat is excellent and some of the dialogue is hilarious. There's also a lot of optional systems in the game, like titles/SP from requests, dualizing, and various uses of the eleth mixer, to keep me and the missus entertained. It's pretty much exactly what I expected and been sorely lacking on the gaming front.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']still haven't setup my ps3 to play this lol. how does it compare to ToS?[/QUOTE]

Graces is much snappier than Symphonia and Abyss, the only Tales games I've played. It's pacing is best suited for 1-2 hour bursts. Playing for a longer period of time can get a bit tedious with the regularity at which cutscenes happen. The default difficulty (combat, dungeons, puzzles) is on the easy side. Easy doesn't mean boring though. The combat and peripheral systems are genuinely interesting to muck with. Having enjoyed this iteration, going back to the more rudimentary combat of the older games would be difficult.

What I've gone through of the story has been the weakest of the 3 in that it's your predictable, run-of-the-mill JRPG rather than a bleak story involving slavery, human sacrifice, or catastrophic sundering of a planet (though if they rendered blood there would be some surprisingly gruesome scenes given the art style, heh). Despite the story, I find the characters to be interesting enough to listen to the fully-voiced skits / involve in random side quests. I can see how people might polarize around the character with obviously the most personality, but to me she's been nearly a one-girl wrecking ball of comedy thus far into the game. If you go into the game with expectations for a fluffy, enjoyable journey rather than a serious, emo epic then it should fit the bill quite nicely.

[quote name='surak']I have a totally different opinion of the game. The story is definitely generic but the combat is excellent and some of the dialogue is hilarious. There's also a lot of optional systems in the game, like titles/SP from requests, dualizing, and various uses of the eleth mixer, to keep me and the missus entertained. It's pretty much exactly what I expected and been sorely lacking on the gaming front.[/QUOTE]

Agree with you. This is my first Tales game, I'm not disappointed.

I've played pretty much all the US-released Tales games, except for Vesperia and the spinoffs (Radiant Mythology). Maybe I'm just getting tired of the formula.

Another plus I've encountered is some of the tracks Sakuraba did sound a ton like Star Ocean 2.

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']Anyone else get lost at wallbridge? I ran around in circles for an hour[/QUOTE]

Nope. I eventually figured it out. It's a rectangle, and actually a very straight-forward map once you know the layout. I had trouble at first because there were like 2 northwests, etc, cause of the name. Then I started ignoring the names.

Right before the final dungeon (regular arc, not the future arc), doing sidequests. This has actually been more enjoyable than the main part of the game.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Right before the final dungeon (regular arc, not the future arc), doing sidequests. This has actually been more enjoyable than the main part of the game.[/QUOTE]

Same, I like the free roam. It was annoying how before you were blocked off from areas unrelated to the story, but I guess it prevented people from getting lost.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I haven't checked EBay yet, but are the GS pre-order codes for this selling for big bucks?[/QUOTE]

There are a few on ebay, the cheapest one is $17.25.

[quote name='Rodimus']I hate this about some JRPGs, written for puppy dog eyed 12 year olds. But I'm able to deal as long as the story is bearable and I don't have the urge to murder more than half the cast.

Reminds me of Abyss, hated the first several hours, but it later turned into one of my favorite in the series.[/QUOTE]

It isn't always a bad thing. I mean Suikoden II was a friendship thing, but not so overly friendly as it is in ToG-F.

On the last dungeon of future arc on my NG+. Did everything on Chaos mode, and skipped every CG. Not looking forward to the last fight, since that gave me trouble on normal.

It's funny when a level 90 normal monster has 4k P.Atk and can one-shot you, when you're 120 using +20 armor, Grade O shards, and half damage titles...

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't play yesterday, but beat future arc again today. Boss turned out to be a joke on Chaos mode; I actually had way more problems on normal mobs before the boss.

Weird thing is, I killed it 5 times (twice on normal, once on easy for the trophy, and twice on chaos), and
she never used Dual the Sol on me once.

[quote name='elessar123']Didn't play yesterday, but beat future arc again today. Boss turned out to be a joke on Chaos mode; I actually had way more problems on normal mobs before the boss.

Weird thing is, I killed it 5 times (twice on normal, once on easy for the trophy, and twice on chaos), and
she never used Dual the Sol on me once.
[/QUOTE]

What did you grab in the grade shop? I think I should grab everything except more dmg & crits.

[quote name='IRHari']What did you grab in the grade shop? I think I should grab everything except more dmg & crits.[/QUOTE]

2x damage
2x sp
3x sp
2x sp on previously mastered titles
keep titles
2x xp
5x xp
keep eleth mixer upgrade
keep stamp upgrades
+1 min CC
keep books
inherit art usage
I think I got double gald, double drop, and double chance if generating an item in eleth mixer, though I can't recall for sure.

I think that was it, but I don't have a list in front of me.

With 2x damage, I had to use all-divides on earlier bosses, but I didn't use it on the boss of the main arc or future arc. Normal mobs will hit hard though.

I wanted inherit cartas, but you probably only have the easier to get ones anyways, so I don't regret not getting it.

I had no gald by then, so I didn't bother with that one.

5x/10x damage is scary. Might try it if I ever try again.

Didn't inherit crystals. I did have double crystal drop rate book though. I got more crystals than I can temper anyways.

Hope you have the book and titles for half damage. You'll need them for most bosses/some mobs.

Wow I feel disgusted. Europe is getting an awesome CE for this game. Honestly I don't know why Namco decided to screw the US like that.

TALES_OF_GRACES.jpg

[quote name='roymustang']Wow I feel disgusted. Europe is getting an awesome CE for this game. Honestly I don't know why Namco decided to screw the US like that.

TALES_OF_GRACES.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Well, they did have to wait 6 months. And they had to wait almost a year to get Vesperia (and no Special Edition at that).

It works out for me as I was waiting for this game to drop to $30, but for a SE, I'll throw down $60.

[quote name='bjstucker']didn't see that at first but you get tales of destiny 2 with it. Very cool.[/QUOTE]
I don't think that's the case. It says:

DLC Card with
Costume Set Tales of Destiny 2
& Exclusive PS3 Themes

I believe it's missing a colon, not a comma. It's saying that it comes with a Tales of Destiny 2 Costume Set and Exclusive PS3 themes; It's the Gamestop exclusive DLC.

Well, this is a pre-order upgrade... and seeing how Namco handled the Dark Souls upgrade, they'll probably end up making everything DLC and no physical contents, outside of a sleeve of something.

oh my bad well nevermind no sense in preordering lol. I am very suprised they have not released it though I believe it is on the JP PSN.

bread's done
Back