Tales of Graces F USA release confirmed

I'll be very angry if it's not a Tales game. I don't care what it is I'll buy it because I love the Tales games.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Namco be trollin'. It's obviously a new game in the Cyber Sled franchise.[/QUOTE]

Cybersled X Tekken. The Winner Is You.

[quote name='KillerRamen']
cherry.png
[/QUOTE]

Looks like Pac-Man World. (Though pac-man's eyes are way more realistic than usual).

I read somwhere else that someone thought Namco-Bandai might be using this to announce their lineup for the coming year, which I think is very possible considering how many different franchises have appeared.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Dude. . .Kuma in a futuristic sled capping fools. . .

Imma preorder if it is. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Mexican Kuma will fart all over those sleds.

New pic up is teasing Tales of Vesperia. So hopefully Graces F and Vesperia PS3 coming this year.

Probably like this if they aren't screwing with us:

Tales of Vesperia on PSN - $29.99
Tales of Graces F on PS3 - $59.99

Tales of Graces F AND Vesperia on PS3?? Going by that image of 2.2.11, tomorrow is either going to be one amazing or extremely disappointing day... keeping my fingers crossed.

[quote name='Arkanos']Tales of Graces F AND Vesperia on PS3?? Going by that image of 2.2.11, tomorrow is either going to be one amazing or extremely disappointing day... keeping my fingers crossed.
[/QUOTE]

Don't fret because it's entirely possible to be amazingly disappointed. ;)

[quote name='2DMention']This sucks. Right when I played through and beat Vesperia on 360. :([/QUOTE]

Trust me when I say it is worthy of being purchased and played again on PS3. Best RPG of this gen IMO. :D

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Trust me when I say it is worthy of being purchased and played again on PS3. Best RPG of this gen IMO. :D[/QUOTE]

I think Valkyria Chronicles is the best, but Vesperia is a close second.

If Vesperia and Graces both get localized for the PS3, I will die of happiness. And if Xillia gets localized too, I'll..like..come back to life from happiness so I can play the games.

I'd buy vesperia again if it was a retail copy and $39.99 but for DL only I'd just pass.

Still I hope it does get translated for those who have been waiting. (beat 360 version awhile ago)

[quote name='willardhaven']Why would it be a download? Eternal Sonata wasn't.[/QUOTE]

Because ES came out when game downloads weren't "in" and Vesperia sold like crap on 360 and coming out on PS3 nearly 2 years later would mean it'd sell worse. Basically they'd limit the amount of money they'd have to invest into putting out here for PS3.

[quote name='KingBroly']Because ES came out when game downloads weren't "in" and Vesperia sold like crap on 360 and coming out on PS3 nearly 2 years later would mean it'd sell worse. Basically they'd limit the amount of money they'd have to invest into putting out here for PS3.[/QUOTE]

I doubt they will make it download only, sure they save slightly on packaging material, but I think they would lose a lot of sales to people who don't follow downloadable games and also that download would be massive, even on a fast connection it would take a long time to download and take up tons of space, which could also scare prospective buyers away. I think they stand to lose more if they did download only.

[quote name='icebeast']I doubt they will make it download only, sure they save slightly on packaging material, but I think they would lose a lot of sales to people who don't follow downloadable games and also that download would be massive, even on a fast connection it would take a long time to download and take up tons of space, which could also scare prospective buyers away. I think they stand to lose more if they did download only.[/QUOTE]

1. they will be able to release it in Japanese with sub only as PSN game
2. It is no bigger than games like Mass Effect 2, and HDD are dirt cheap.
3. Tales games have never depended on casual gamer anyway, so it would not really be hurt by lack of disc release.

[quote name='62t']1. they will be able to release it in Japanese with sub only as PSN game
2. It is no bigger than games like Mass Effect 2, and HDD are dirt cheap.
3. Tales games have never depended on casual gamer anyway, so it would not really be hurt by lack of disc release.[/QUOTE]

1. That would require work on their end to switch the subs to Japanese (although I'm sure it wouldn't be hard)
2. ME2 you will note though had a disc release.
3. This argument just doesn't make sense, if I was going to release something I would make sure it could target the broadest audience possible even if I knew that one particular group was more likely to play it. Makes no sense to exclusively target a smaller audience especially for a franchise that clearly could use more support in America. While I'm sure the cost of packaging and burning all of the discs isn't trivial I have a feeling most of the cost incurred from releasing this game is just in translation and voice work.

It was nice having Vesperia as a exclusive, but honestly I couldn't care anymore. It's been over 2+ years since the release on the 360 and a lot of PS3 fans have been waiting for it. Only really leaves out Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon and Magna Carta 2. I'm sure MC2 will get ported eventually since It was published by Namco.

Namco tried everything and got no better than 140k for their two recent Tales game. They have to accept that they are not getting a bigger audience. Vesperia Xbox 360 sold 140k copies, and realistically Vesperia PS3 would sell about 60% of that. If it is a direct port with minor stuff added like Eternal Sonata it won't be a problem, but Veperia had a lot of new content with additional voice acting.

[quote name='62t']Namco tried everything and got no better than 140k for their two recent Tales game. They have to accept that they are not getting a bigger audience. Vesperia Xbox 360 sold 140k copies, and realistically Vesperia PS3 would sell about 60% of that. If it is a direct port with minor stuff added like Eternal Sonata it won't be a problem, but Veperia had a lot of new content with additional voice acting.[/QUOTE]

Namco Bandai recently talked about how they're changing their strategy with a larger focus on releasing Japanese games overseas. They want to eventually reach a 50% domestic/50% overseas sales mark. This would fit right in with those plans.

[quote name='62t']Namco tried everything and got no better than 140k for their two recent Tales game.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't really say they tried everything, they could probably try to do a bit more marketing, and building up of hype. Oh hey look at what they're doing now. To be honest though marketing is something Namco Bandai doesn't really seem to understand, like half their releases don't seem to have any press behind them and then flop; it feels like they think they can just release a game and hope that word of mouth will be enough to sell it, right now Naruto is probably their best franchise and luckily those games do sell themselves, but for new IPs (or foreign ones) you have to try and get people interested.

[quote name='icebeast']I wouldn't really say they tried everything, they could probably try to do a bit more marketing, and building up of hype. Oh hey look at what they're doing now.[/QUOTE]

Tales games are not Final Fantasy. Having a 30 second tv ad isn't going to increase sales. Back then they had Tales Brigade which handed out some great prizes, and had staff answered questions from the fans at their forum. They had banner ads at major website. Their marketing is no worst then what other RPG publishers had.

Namco doesn't advertise Tales games at all. Heck, I can't remember the last time I saw an ad on TV for one of their games.

[quote name='62t']Tales games are not Final Fantasy. Having a 30 second tv ad isn't going to increase sales. Back then they had Tales Brigade which handed out some great prizes, and had staff answered questions from the fans at their forum. They had banner ads at major website. Their marketing is no worse then what other RPG publishers had.[/QUOTE]

A game like say Demon's Souls would say otherwise, that game is equally niche and yet somehow ATLUS managed to get tons of people to buy it, to the point that it was one of their more successful games. I'm not saying I know how Namco Bandai should handle their marketing as that isn't my background, but you look at other companies with equally niche products that out perform them repeatedly, they are clearly missing something.

[quote name='icebeast']A game like say Demon's Souls would say otherwise, that game is equally niche and yet somehow ATLUS managed to get tons of people to buy it, to the point that it was one of their more successful games. I'm not saying I know how Namco Bandai should handle their marketing as that isn't my background, but you look at other companies with equally niche products that out perform them repeatedly, they are clearly missing something.[/QUOTE]

Demon Soul's actually well beyond Atlus's expectation. It was a game that got around by word of mouth and not by hype or advertising. All I am saying is that Namco wasn't doing any more or less then other RPG publishers like Xseed or NISA were doing.

[quote name='62t']Demon Soul's actually well beyond Atlus's expectation. It was a game that got around by word of mouth and not by hype or advertising. All I am saying is that Namco wasn't doing any more or less then other RPG publishers like Xseed or NISA were doing.[/QUOTE]

I think the problem is that Namco hasn't built a good name for themselves, you look at ATLUS with the Persona series which is somewhat analogous to the Tales series in that they are both niche RPGs and yet I haven't heard anything about the failure of the Persona franchise in America. I think ATLUS has built a strong brand loyalty and people respect them. Where as I don't hear much but distrust or indifference for Namco Bandai.

[quote name='icebeast']I think the problem is that Namco hasn't built a good name for themselves, you look at ATLUS with the Persona series which is somewhat analogous to the Tales series in that they are both niche RPGs and yet I haven't heard anything about the failure of the Persona franchise in America. I think ATLUS has built a strong brand loyalty and people respect them. Where as I don't hear much but distrust or indifference for Namco Bandai.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I gotta agree with icebeast on this. I would say that Namco Bandai does indeed do a worse job at marketing their games than other companies. Atlus hasn't built a good name for themselves by accident. They don't rely on word of consumer mouth alone. They have built up a certain image from both the types of games that they release and the types of PR they do. I see far more info on various gaming sites about Atlus games because they know how to release information/videos/screenshots to build hype. Namco Bandai has it harder from the start because they tend to release a larger variety of games, rather than just niche Japanese RPGs and the like. But even with that disadvantage when it comes to building an image, they could still do a much better job at building up hype and knowledge about their games. Nobody really knows what their games are like before they come out, so then nobody goes out to buy them. Most of the time, it seems like their games come out without anyone even having heard of the game at all. This isn't due to a lack of quality or originality, it's simply just a lack of proper marketing.

[quote name='icebeast']I think the problem is that Namco hasn't built a good name for themselves, you look at ATLUS with the Persona series which is somewhat analogous to the Tales series in that they are both niche RPGs and yet I haven't heard anything about the failure of the Persona franchise in America. I think ATLUS has built a strong brand loyalty and people respect them. Where as I don't hear much but distrust or indifference for Namco Bandai.[/QUOTE]

I think the problem is that all this anime RPG bullshit looks exactly the same. Demon Souls and Persona got such good word of mouth because they were something different, not because Atlus' brand name is strong. If that were the case, people would've bought Steambot Chronicles in droves. Tales games don't have a whole lot of uniqueness to them, so people don't really give a fuck.

That said, I really want Vesperia PS3.

[quote name='Chacrana']I think the problem is that all this anime RPG bullshit looks exactly the same. Demon Souls and Persona got such good word of mouth because they were something different, not because Atlus' brand name is strong. If that were the case, people would've bought Steambot Chronicles in droves. Tales games don't have a whole lot of uniqueness to them, so people don't really give a fuck.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying that Steambot Chronicles did great, or for that matter that your wrong about the Tales games being a little bit more generic JRPGs, but Steambot Chronicles did get a PSP spin-off released in America. Which leads to another thing about the difference between ATLUS and Namco Bandai, even when ATLUS makes a game that probably under-performs their expectations you don't hear anything about that whereas Namco Bandai feels the need to announce the failings of their games and then proceed to blame the fan-base for the game's low numbers. I think you win a lot more respect by building up trust and learning from your mistakes then trying to pin them on the fans of your games which are the same people that you want to purchase your games in the future.

[quote name='kainzero']It's fairly obvious that Persona's production values are much lower than Tales.[/QUOTE]

For a game that is being localized production value doesn't really matter, the game is already developed so the question is whether the cost to localize is going to be offset by the amount of sales that you will get in the region your releasing in. In that regard I'm fairly sure the Persona games have almost comparable amounts to Tales games of translation and voice work. Also, I don't entirely agree with you on the fact that Persona has low production value, a lot of work went into those games and ATLUS knows exactly how to work with the style they were going for and it shows.

[quote name='icebeast']For a game that is being localized production value doesn't really matter, the game is already developed so the question is whether the cost to localize is going to be offset by the amount of sales that you will get in the region your releasing in. In that regard I'm fairly sure the Persona games have almost comparable amounts to Tales games of translation and voice work. Also, I don't entirely agree with you on the fact that Persona has low production value, a lot of work went into those games and ATLUS knows exactly how to work with the style they were going for and it shows.[/QUOTE]
Production value does matter. You don't just hire some translators and voice actors and off you go. There's a lot of people on both sides of the Pacific involved in getting the script translated, getting it in the game, reprogramming it, testing to make sure that nothing goes bad, etc. The bigger the game (and especially the more paths you have, if it's open ended), the more work it takes to ensure a good quality game. In terms of work, the Japanese team is tied up on the localization instead of working or designing new product so there's a negative cost there as well.

I also didn't imply that Persona has a low production value. Tales is just much much higher.

[quote name='kainzero']Production value does matter. You don't just hire some translators and voice actors and off you go. There's a lot of people on both sides of the Pacific involved in getting the script translated, getting it in the game, reprogramming it, testing to make sure that nothing goes bad, etc. The bigger the game (and especially the more paths you have, if it's open ended), the more work it takes to ensure a good quality game. In terms of work, the Japanese team is tied up on the localization instead of working or designing new product so there's a negative cost there as well.[/QUOTE]

Right, sure there are more costs than just the translation; but the fact still remains that the cost of localization should be far less than the cost to produce the game, and the only cost you need to recoup for releasing the game in another region is the total cost it took for localization. If they make more money than it cost to localize for that region they make more money than if they had chosen not to localize the game.

[quote name='icebeast']Right, sure there are more costs than just the translation; but the fact still remains that the cost of localization should be far less than the cost to produce the game, and the only cost you need to recoup for releasing the game in another region is the total cost it took for localization. If they make more money than it cost to localize for that region they make more money than if they had chosen not to localize the game.[/QUOTE]
thanks for the economy lesson

but

the point was

higher production values = higher localization costs (including the costs of work being assigned that could be used for creative development)

higher localization costs means that Tales can sell more than Persona but still not offset the cost

[quote name='kainzero']higher production values = higher localization costs (including the costs of work being assigned that could be used for creative development)

higher localization costs means that Tales can sell more than Persona but still not offset the cost[/QUOTE]

I see what your saying now. But I can't really see the cost of localizing a game fluctuating that much when it comes to a game like an RPG (perhaps you have more of a sense of this than me though). I guess it could also be that if say ATLUS planned to localize the game they could easily set up a text system to handle multiple languages during development that would work with the language they are already working with and then make it easier when it came to localization, whereas perhaps Namco Bandai doesn't plan for localization so it becomes a royal mess when they actually decide to do it. I could see the voice work as being more difficult though depending on how you choose to go about it.

bread's done
Back