Staff member
Feedback
122 (100%)
Copied from OP of former Target Clearance threads*
Winter 2k6 thread
Summer 2K5
Spring 2005 thread
Original Target Clearance Thread

Since the Target deals are usually of the "your mileage may vary" type, let's keep all the target clearance deals in this thread.

Here is a fairly easy way to check if your local Target has the games on clearance without making the store clerk unlock the display case and price-scan a bunch of games. Very often, games may be on sale, but will not be marked as such.

BigDirty came up with this nice time saver. Respect his cheap ass skills.

1) Check this thread for games that have been reported on clearance.

2) Go to www.half.com, http://bits.com/ or similar website and search for the game to locate its UPC code number. Its in the grey box underneath the box art graphic.

3) Go to http://upcdata.info/ , www.milk.com/barcode/ , or www.upcdatabase.com and enter the code so you can print out the UPC.

4) Go to Target and use the price scanners to scan your printouts and search for cheap ass deals!

FYI: "When a game's price ends with 8 cents, further reduction is possible, when it ends in 4 cents, that's the ball game, pick it up cause it's not going any lower. If it ends in 9 cents, it's just on sale or on a non-clearance reduction." - BigDirty

Games that do not sell after being discounted are often donated to local Goodwills for sale at their retail stores, so check there when the clearance items dissappear.

This thread is for Clearance deals, not sale items or raincheck "scams"
Please Post City, State and Store (If City has many stores), game, system and price

Keep extraneous discussion to a minimum, as posts not pretating to clearance deals may be deleted by the mod crew.

As always-- YMMV

Example:

Philadelphia, PA Snyder Plaza
BigDirty's Wild Ride, XBox, $4.98

*Thanks to CheapyD and BigDirty for the info*

[quote name='Silver47']That's called return fraud, and it's a felony. People like you who cheat the system annoy me.[/quote]

What's he doing wrong? Target gets a copy of the game returned and he gets his game at clearance price.

It's as if he bought the game, never opened it, returned it and bought the clearanced game.

There are a lot of shaddy things going on at CAG that you can point out. This is not one of them. Target loses nothing if he does this.

[quote name='Silver47']That's called return fraud, and it's a felony. People like you who cheat the system annoy me.[/QUOTE]
How is this any different from the policies that stores offer where they'll give you the price difference if they put the item on sale during a certain window after your purchase?

It could just be that I'm a broke college student, but I don't see anything glaringly wrong with doing that...or anything that would make it a felony, for that matter.

The copy I picked up was still priced at $24.98 and still comes up at that.

Looks like I'll be waiting another week on this.

I just came from target and several of them were for $34.98 and one of them was $12.98...I was going to get it but I decided not to....

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']What's he doing wrong? Target gets a copy of the game returned and he gets his game at clearance price.

It's as if he bought the game, never opened it, returned it and bought the clearanced game.

There are a lot of shaddy things going on at CAG that you can point out. This is not one of them. Target loses nothing if he does this.[/quote]

Actually, they lose the last price before clearance of the item, so if it's 10 bucks or so, Target loses 10 bucks.

[quote name='BIGmog']Gunstar Super Heroes GBA - $13.98
Odama GC - $12.98

Super Target in Aurora, CO[/quote] How many copies of Odama were there?

I'll grab it for $12.48. Each Target I been to still has at least a few copies left on clearance last time I went. They are likely still there.

[quote name='Puppy']Ya know, while it would be nice to update that list, it wouldn't do any good for people who might want to buy the game. listing it like this is the only way someone's going to see it...[/quote]

Seconded.

Target is so YMMV, it's not even worth checking that clearance list. You might as well just go to Target and see the 1 or 2 games they have that week.

This deal actually sounds like something one could easily obtain at any Target.

I almost grabbed one for $12.48, but I have such a back log of unplayed games already, I passed. Plus, it's for Cube which I hardly touch.

[quote name='Masterkyo']I'll pickup extra copy for trade if it go down $8 or less next week.[/QUOTE]

Isn't $12.48 the 75% off price, meaning it is unlikely to drop again before it is sent off to the netherworld (or Goodwill)? My local Target actually still has them locked up in the case with no clearance stickers on them. It has been a while since I've been able to snag a game like that. I'll have to print a UPC and see what they are selling it for.

My Target has King Kong,The Warriors and Darkwatch for the Xbox for $9.98. There was about 3 other games for that price but I forget what they are, all Xbox.

I found a copy of Odama at the South County Target for $12.48. I think there were 2 or 3 other copies there.

Also found King Kong (Xbox) for $9.98, with 2-3 additional copies as well.

[quote name='wjhard63']I have an extra sealed preview DVD disc I'd trade for a Wii gift card - my Target didn't have any in stock. PM me if interested (your mailbox is full).[/QUOTE]

still interested? please PM me [it's empty now]. :)

is Odama $12.48 the lowest it will drop? I recall people generally said XX.94 is the lowest point before it goes out of the system.

Yeah, Gun's been well-stocked at Target. My local Targets still have a bunch. I bought it there about a month or 2 ago when it was $10.99 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Beat it, then traded it to EB during their trade 3 promotion and got back almost what I paid for it. I looked at it as a $2 rental that I got to keep for about 3 weeks.

Anyway, good game. And your local Target should have it. If so, pick it up.

Regardless of whether Odama is good or not, I don't understand why financial gambles like this make it to the US while better bets like Earthbound/Mother stay in Japan. I'm all about new and inventive games making it to market, but you'd figure that EA-style greed would occasionally benefit gamers.

[quote name='eau']is Odama $12.48 the lowest it will drop? I recall people generally said XX.94 is the lowest point before it goes out of the system.[/QUOTE]

I was typing up the same question!

It depends on the item I think. Most times it seems like a game won't go past 75% off but once in a while a game will drop to half off the 75% off price. Geist I think dropped to $6.24 from the $12.48 75% off price.

[quote name='Silver47']That's called return fraud, and it's a felony. People like you who cheat the system annoy me.[/QUOTE]

are you on crack? target has a 90 day price protection policy...there is NOTHING fraudulent about that.....

[quote name='soonerdoc']are you on crack? target has a 90 day price protection policy...there is NOTHING fraudulent about that.....[/quote]

They don't price guarantee clearance items, and the normal sale items are only price guaranteed for 14 days.

Got the last copy of Odama at the Champaign IL Target for $12.98. They had a lot of copies of Ninja Gaiden Black for $14.98, but I'm hoping it'll go down more. Also had Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and The Warrior for Xbox for $9.98. I believe they had Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks for $7.98 as well as a bunch of other stuff.

By the way, I would also trade one of those Wii DVDs for a Wii gift card (with nothing on it), since my store doesn't have any.

[quote name='elmyra']I'm torn on this one. It's a good price, and I really like weird games, but the reviews were just so awful.[/QUOTE]

I liked the game. It was more fun WITHOUT the mic though when they had the demo floating around in 2004, but I digress..

Target in Aliso Viejo, CA:

Odama - 12.98 - I took the last one
XBOX MK: Shaolin Monks - 7.48 2 left
XBOX Hulk: Ultimate Destruction - 7:48 1 left
PS2 Darkwatch 9.98
PS2 The Getaway 9.98 (I think)

[quote name='Silver47']They don't price guarantee clearance items, and the normal sale items are only price guaranteed for 14 days.[/QUOTE]

i am looking at the back of one of my target receipts which describes the 90 day return policy. the front says this receipt expires 2/03/07. you can return a product within 90 days at target. if they have it on clearance you can buy that item and return your original purchase without problem.

i am not going to argue this with you, because you are wrong...

[quote name='soonerdoc']i am looking at the back of one of my target receipts which describes the 90 day return policy. the front says this receipt expires 2/03/07. you can return a product within 90 days at target. if they have it on clearance you can buy that item and return your original purchase without problem.

i am not going to argue this with you, because you are wrong...[/quote]

Ok, I'll say it...I WORK at Target...we do NOT price adjust clearance items. If you return a clearance item, it goes into a go-back bin or cart until later when it gets put back on the shelves. Employees have been instructed not to immediately sell it back to you, since it has to be reticketed with the correct price and given a chance for another customer to buy it.

While I haven't seen Odama at any store here (darn it), I did pick up Prince of Persia 3 The Two Thrones for the Xbox for 9.99 at my target.

Stopped at my local Target (Puyallup, WA) tonight and happened to notica a couple small stacks of red-tagged games at the bottom of the PS2 case. I found 1 copy of Simpsons Hit & Run listed at $9.98, so I grabbed it. But they also had about a dozen copies of Sonic Heroes for Gamecube, also for $9.98, and there was a single copy of Star Wars Battlefront 2 For XBOX at the same price, as well as a lone copy of Madden '06 for PS2 for $20.xx.

I have no idea how widespread any of these prices are, but looking back over the last several pages, I didn't see any of them mentioned, so you might want to give it a try.

[quote name='soonerdoc']i am looking at the back of one of my target receipts which describes the 90 day return policy. the front says this receipt expires 2/03/07. you can return a product within 90 days at target. if they have it on clearance you can buy that item and return your original purchase without problem.

i am not going to argue this with you, because you are wrong...[/quote]

You'll notice, if you go to the return desk, that clearance merchandise can be refunded at the current clearance price. This language is in really big letters at all the Targets I've ever been to. However, application is YMMV.

So yes, you always have 90 days to return something. But you may not get a full refund of everything you initially paid if the item is on clearance.

There are, of course, ways around this. Waiting until the clearance item completely drops out of the system will usually get you a full refund. Also, taking the item to a different Target will often get you the full refund because Targets typically clearance at different rates.

Perhaps this is changing, though. I can't recall a time when a game dropped seemingly universally over all Targets like Odama has.

Ok, here is a list of games I saw the other day at Target:

4.98 Xbox
Yager

7.48 Xbox
LA Rush
Tony Hawk Underground

9.98 Xbox
Curious George
The Warriors
Tak & The Great Juju Challenge
Sonic Heroes PH
Cabelas Outdoor Adventures
007 From Russia With Love
Peter Jackson's King Kong
Harry Potter Goblet Of Fire

13.98 Xbox
Fight night Round 2
Driver Parallel Lines
Need For Speed Underground 2
Red Dead Revolver
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Tecmo Collection

14.98 Xbox
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06

[quote name='Puppy']Does Odama REQUIRE that microphone? (Does it come with it? I can't remember)[/QUOTE]

Yes. Requires it, and comes with it.

[quote name='blandstalker']You'll notice, if you go to the return desk, that clearance merchandise can be refunded at the current clearance price. This language is in really big letters at all the Targets I've ever been to. However, application is YMMV.

So yes, you always have 90 days to return something. But you may not get a full refund of everything you initially paid if the item is on clearance.

There are, of course, ways around this. Waiting until the clearance item completely drops out of the system will usually get you a full refund. Also, taking the item to a different Target will often get you the full refund because Targets typically clearance at different rates.

Perhaps this is changing, though. I can't recall a time when a game dropped seemingly universally over all Targets like Odama has.[/quote]

Now, I haven't read the sign at the customer service desk in your target, so this is just from a lot of overall Target clearance experience.

Clearance items will be refunded at the price on the purchase receipt. If you don't have a receipt, you will get the lowest/current clearance price (even though they can usually look up your purchase if you paid by credit/debit).
The CS desk person can refund the original purchase price if they find your purchase in the system, but they are definitely not supposed to. This is to protect against you buying something at the latest clearance price with cash and then returning it to get a refund from a previous purchase.

There seems to be confusion between price protection and returns.
The price protection doesn't cover clearances.
You CANNOT return and immediately re-buy something. Anything you return is put in the "return carts" (though some places may have other holding mechanisms) and re-enters the system, usually that night.

So:
- if you buy something, and it then goes on clearance/lower clearance, you can return the original purchase but aren't guaranteed that you can buy it at the lower price.
- if there are some left, you can buy one and return the original

Other note: Clearance implementation is 100% by individual store. I believe the word comes down from above to clearance things, but how the store does it is up to them. There are 4 Targets I hit weekly (all on the way to work) and clearance prices and schedules vary hugely. At one store, electronics never go past 50% - they salvage them first. At another, they are very slow to clearance items, because they have a higher sell rate. One Lego set I bought at 75% off ($25) stayed at the full $100 at another Target for more than 6 months! On the other hand, one that I go to that is a mile or two away from a newer/bigger/more popular Target has the best clearances, hands down.

[quote name='blandstalker']You'll notice, if you go to the return desk, that clearance merchandise can be refunded at the current clearance price. This language is in really big letters at all the Targets I've ever been to. However, application is YMMV.

[/QUOTE]

That applies to holiday and seasonal merchandise only. If you buy a Halloween item when it is 50% off and return it 2 days later when it's 75% off, you'll only get the 75% off price back even if you have the receipt showing you paid the 50% off price.

With everything else like games, you'll get back the price you paid with your receipt even if the price dropped since you bought it.

[quote name='Silver47']They don't price guarantee clearance items, and the normal sale items are only price guaranteed for 14 days.[/quote]

Please stop spreading false information. You really seem like you dont know what the hell you're talking about.

nabbed the last one at bowie target in MD @ 12.48. ~25 was too much for a gambe, but the game is wicked fun. They are still @ BB tho for 25 (20 with ggc). ALso a few weeks back i saw hold em poker for DS for 1.48, there were 3 of them, i didnt bother since I had just picked up Clubhouse.

.[/QUOTE]

That's extremely stupid.

So let's say I bought Odama at say, $12.98, and later on decided against keeping it and just wanted to get my money back and it had dropped to say, $6.94, Target is only going to give me $6.94 back?

That's a pretty fucked up policy... it must be something new because I've never had that happen to me, and I would raise hell if it did.

[quote name='Roufuss']That's extremely stupid.

So let's say I bought Odama at say, $12.98, and later on decided against keeping it and just wanted to get my money back and it had dropped to say, $6.94, Target is only going to give me $6.94 back?

That's a pretty fucked up policy... it must be something new because I've never had that happen to me, and I would raise hell if it did.[/QUOTE]
It's new to me too. The only policy that operated in that fashion was the one for holiday clearance.

I know it's not games

but can anyone find some PIXEL CHIX [okay it kind of is games]

I got a purple one for $7.48 and it's actually really fun, so now I want the other houses [yellow, blue, I think a green]

If they're cheaper, I'd love that too..but I can't find anymore...they sold the last ones here about a month ago

Plus these are a deal, they retail for $34 so it's nice to get them so cheap

[quote name='Roufuss']That's extremely stupid.

That's a pretty fucked up policy... it must be something new because I've never had that happen to me, and I would raise hell if it did.[/QUOTE]

I've known this for a few years now, after I tried to return a gift I got.

Target's return policies suck.

[quote name='Strell']I've known this for a few years now, after I tried to return a gift I got.

Target's return policies suck.[/QUOTE]

If that happens just tell them you'd like to price adjust to 6.49.

Regarding Target returns....

If you buy something and save your receipt, they will give you what you paid for it back...no questions...on general regular pricedmerchandise

I think where people get confused...if you buy it on clearance for $20, and then they drop it to $10, sometimes they will, and sometimes they won't..it seems fairly arbitrary...I think it is left up to the discretion of the person doing the transaction...you bought it last week and it dropped is different than you bought it 6 months ago...I think they price adjust if it moves within 30 days. But some take a harder line and won't on clearance...they will offer you either a refund on a return, but no continuining adjustment.

On holiday stuff...you cannot buy seasonal stuff and then return it after the holidays and get full amount back (generally)...they do this to keep people from "renting" stuff like yard decorations..buying in Nov and then coming back in January and wanting full price refund...same for crap on halloween costumes.

I have bought and returned a bunch of stuff to Target, and their policies seem fair and reasonable. If you let anyone return anything for any reason, you end up with abuse that costs everyone money. My ex-wife used to work at Wal-Mart...and the snowbirds would come down in the fall and furnish their trailers with new TV's and what not..and then come back in the spring and get a full refund for what they paid. Also folks would buy a new computer, stick their old computer in the box, and then return it to Wal-Mart for a refund. Wal-Mart didn't care because they just shipped it back to the suppliers and made them eat it...but guess who pays for it eventually? All of us who are not criminals or scumbags.

And yes, target generally wants a receipt to make sure they are not refunding on something bought cheaper elsewhere (especially for Cash..I thin they will generally give you a merchandise instore credit without a receipt)...that is why they give out gift receipts these days. So if you get a gift that sucks and you want to return it...blame the person that gave it to you without the gift receipt and not Target.

They also keep track of how much you return if you don't have a receipt and limit you to a given amount per year...to keep the lid on professional shoplifters.

Oh, okay, so you CAN return stuff for the price you bought it at with a receipt. That's fine then. I thought you couldn't return it for what you bought it at, which would be nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back