Target Clearance Thread XXIV

Saw :ps4: Sonic Mania Plus repackaged for $14.01. This is the base $20 game (that was digital only) plus the $5 dlc. Current retail is $30, so this is about 53% off. I haven't played a Sonic game in ages so I passed, but seems like a good price.
I'd grab it at that price.
Anyone else seen this, or is it highly ymmv?

[SIZE=10.5pt]*Late to the party chime in on the Target "Repackage" conversation*[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]In a nutshell:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]As you may or may not know, Target items are "scheduled" for clearance.  Those items get the clearance sticker.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Other things can be reduced in price, but won't have the clearance sticker.  Instead, they may have the "Repackage" or "As Is".  So, yes, these items may be perfectly fine, just reduced to sell for whatever reason (slow seller, but not yet clearanced, but want to sell before expiration, let's say).  However, the problem is the words "Repackage" and "As Is" carrying with them the connotation that there's "something wrong" with the item when it may be brand new, as stated by others here.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Anywho, my point is, my understanding is they can't (won't) do the clearance sticker since it's not yet clearance, but they could do "As Is" or "Repackage", but hesitate on that (especially the "As Is") because of the psychology of the inherent doubt carried in those words (well, that may be giving the higher ups too much credit), if that makes sense.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]But, then again, they may just not want to bother with it at all, and instead, let it lapse into salvage state and out the store.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]My two cents from working there and what I've seen/discussed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]As always, thanks for reading, and thanks to all the fine contributors of the site.  I've leaned on you for many things over a great while.  You are appreciated.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Below is my long-winded stream of consciousness on the matter, if you're so inclined:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]So, from working there, in case some don't know, there is a clearance/price change schedule in the system.  So, like, today, let's say, there are items all over the store that are supposed to change prices (go on clearance).  Tomorrow, there will be others, and the next day, more, and so on.  Within this, some stuff is clearancing for the first time, and others are being further reduced -- from 30%, for example, to 50%.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Now, my question to my supervisors was along the lines of can we clearance something that's not yet on the clearance schedule?  And my reasons were twofold:  1) we have a bunch of crap that just doesn't sell and 2) I personally can't stand how much stuff just gets thrown away at the store.  I mean, it's sad how much is wasted.  Maybe this bothers me more because I work in perishables/grocery, but it still happens throughout the store.  Stuff is tossed merely because it has went to "salvage" price (0.00), so it's pulled from the shelves.  Where I worked before, we would TPR (Temporary Price Reduction) stuff like that to sell through.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]*the following turned into a little rant*[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]But, as many have noticed over the last few years, Target has seemed to move away from clearance, as if they don't want that "look" in their ostensibly "high-end" stores.  These days, since the round of remodeling a while back, to me it seems that Target is a poser store.  They don't know what they want to be.  It's like they throw up this facade like they are Whole Foods or Central Market or whatever similar vein of store you wish to think of, but underneath, they're kinda crappy, low-rent, shortcut-taking, etc.  A couple of co-workers came up to me one night and asked if I had ever heard of "bougie"?  I said yeah, and sort of explained my take on it, that it was something/someone that seems better than they are, maybe more “high tone”, if you will.  And they went, "Oh, that makes sense.  These girls walked by and said, 'This Target is bougie'."  lol...Well, folks, for me, that was some validation lol.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]*rant over...I think...I'll have to double check in a minute…EDIT…no, wasn’t over...just took a break by briefly getting back on topic, and then went right off the rails again…see below, if you wish*[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]So, anywho, my super said that we couldn't really do the clearance.  I know we can change the price, but we won't be able to put an actual clearance sticker on it.  We could print up a sign – which we've done before when they sent us a crapload of juice, for example – and hang that, but not individually sticker the bottles.  Okay, but she did say that the only thing we could maybe do is make it "As Is" -- and "Repackage" is probably along those same lines, as well.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Now, I had a different manager before that who I approached about some cheese that we had.  It was going to salvage, and the only reason was because the pack size was changing.  It's like someone earlier who mentioned the cheapo Golden Grahams -- in our store, it was because the ounces changed.  There was quite a bit of the cereal that did this, including Cap'n Crunch.  At first, I was like, what?!  No more Cap'n Crunch?!!  But then, I saw why...but anywho.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]So, the cheese was changing how many slices or it may have just been cut out of the set or something like that, but regardless, for no other reason, it was salvage -- which, for perishable food that's essentially another word for "trash".  So, basically, off to the compactor.  And like I said, for me that's a sad, terrible...reality, I guess.  The stuff wasn't anywhere close to out of date or anything.  It was good.  And I...petitioned, in a way, to the manager to keep it out there and sell it.  He didn't seem to give a rip about the wastefulness of it.  So, I thought I'd appeal to greed and I said, "I mean, selling and making some money off of it would be better than the zero when we toss it."  He stiff-armed that with a nonchalant downplaying of Target's financial concerns on this matter, basically telling me not to worry about such things.  This kind of thinking always floors me.  Maybe I'm not "modern" enough, as the brass are fond of saying there these days.  They keep tweaking the processes and such, trumpeting "Modernization!"  All the while, I'm thinking either "this was already being done 20 years ago" or "You're throwing away useful equipment.  Modernity really seems like an armageddon of inefficiency?"  Dang...soapboxing again.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Anywho, he said something else that I was reminded of when I saw the initial “repackage” post.  Perhaps it’s a philosophy of sorts.  Or maybe a psychology, if you will.  He said that they could mark it down, but it would be "As Is", and when people see that, they would wonder "what is wrong with it?"  And, much as I hate to admit it, he has a point there.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I mean, looking back on the previous posts on the topic, we can see how we are reacting that way.  When you are explaining that "repackage" doesn't mean that it was opened or damaged, etc., then we're conceding that that word carries that connotation of "there's something amiss here" rather than "hey, check out these savings!"  And as for "As Is", it's even worse because...I mean, I think you might agree that whenever you see something "As Is", you're thinking, "alright...what's wrong with it?"  Of course, this can net you a great bargain, but, to me, those words get your antennae up on high alert.  Sure, I'll take that As Is Ford Fiesta...the transmission's where you say?  The smell is part of the charm?  Sherman Williams sponsored “bucket” seats?  Well, if you say so, take all my money!  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Anywho, caveat emptor, as they say, and check those dates, people.  The life you save may be your own.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I appreciate you getting this far.  And, as always, to all the great contributors of the site, thank you.
[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
:switch:
Rayman Legends 207-30-0110 $39.99 -> $27.98

:ps4:
Just Dance 2016 Gold 207-34-9632 $39.99 -> $27.98
Hasbro Family Fun Pack 207-34-1635 $19.99 -> $13.98

:xb1:
Don't Starve Mega Pack 207-32-9116 $29.99 -> $8.98

:pc:
Mass Effect: Andromeda 207-28-1641 $19.99 -> $5.98

:vinyl:
Purple Rain 012-17-0314 $24.99 -> $17.48
The Chronic 012-17-9314 $11.48 -> $5.74
Born in the USA 012-17-0392 $24.99 -> $12.98
To Pimp a Butterfly 012-17-0069 $22.99 -> $14.98
Jack White - Boarding House Reach  012-17-0401 $26.99 -> $13.48 
Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits 012-17-0396 $20.99 ->  $10.48
Pink Floyd - Animals 012-17-0325 $29.99 ->  $20.98
The Last Jedi 012-17-0400 $24.99 -> $12.48
Pet Sounds - 012-17-0328 $24.99 -> $17.48
Guardians of the Galaxy 012-17-0415 $29.99 -> $20.98
Nevermind 012-17-9978 $24.99 -> $12.48
Appetite for Destruction 012-17-0319 $24.99 -> $12.48
Stranger Things 012-17-0398 $12.48 -> $6.24
Al Green Greatest Hits 012-17-0337 $8.98 -> $4.48
Dave Matthews Band - Come Tomorrow 012-17-0404 $21.99 -> $10.98
Christina Aguilera - Liberation 012-17-0419 $19.99 -> $9.98
Sam Smith - The Thrill of It All 012-17-0369 $20.99 ->  $10.48
Khalid - American Teen 012-17-0417 $20.99 -> $10.48
Ed Sheeran - Divide 012-17-0309 $14.99 -> $7.48
Lindsey Stirling - Warmer in the Winter  012-17-0422 $22.49 -> $11.48
Man of the Woods 012-17-0387 $20.99 -> $10.48

When I was in my local store a couple days ago I noticed that winter clothes (hats, gloves, scarfs, coats, etc) were on clearance for 50 - 70% off.  Perfect timing as I desperately needed a new pair of gloves, and I ended up getting two pair.

When I was in my local store a couple days ago I noticed that winter clothes (hats, gloves, scarfs, coats, etc) were on clearance for 50 - 70% off. Perfect timing as I desperately needed a new pair of gloves, and I ended up getting two pair.

I find this funny. I was walking through a jcpenny's in a mall the other day when I overheard a customer asking an employee where the winter coats are. The employee said "they're over there in the clearance section since coats are out of season". I was floored. It's January, 25f outside that day... hell this morning was -5f! Out of season my ass.

I find this funny. I was walking through a jcpenny's in a mall the other day when I overheard a customer asking an employee where the winter coats are. The employee said "they're over there in the clearance section since coats are out of season". I was floored. It's January, 25f outside that day... hell this morning was -5f! Out of season my ass.
Are they starting to stock swimsuits?

Clothing has been this way for a while. Retailers try to get you to buy next seasons clothes before the season starts.

Edit: it's almost like preordering! Reserve your copy now to be guaranteed a copy on release day!

Quick question. I bought 2 games from target during the B1G1 sale last week. If I returned one of the games, would they change the charge on the other game that i am keeping?

That's right, people would have bought a coat by now so the season for buying is over. If they waited until the actual season they would be late to market when people have already buying for that season.

That's right, people would have bought a coat by now so the season for buying is over. If they waited until the actual season they would be late to market when people have already buying for that season.

Oh I get the retailer 'logic' behind it. I just find it quite funny to live in a winter climate where it's constantly below freezing now, will be for the next 1-2 months, and to hear the words "coats are out of season" uttered.

Oh I get the retailer 'logic' behind it. I just find it quite funny to live in a winter climate where it's constantly below freezing now, will be for the next 1-2 months, and to hear the words "coats are out of season" uttered.
Same for electric blankets at Walmart (and probably other retailers).

I saw a bunch of Video Game Merch clearance today. 3ds accessories, switch accessories, overwatch action figures, fallout merch and Xbox One controllers. My store had Sport White and Phantom Black on clearance.

Just found the following XB Wireless Controllers for 32.48
Phantom Black 207-00-0221
Sport White 207-00-0229
Gray/Green 207-00-2332
Black 207-00-0181 (41.98)

Also found these:

Linksys Whole Home WiFi 056-02-0375 99.98
Xbox Stereo Headset 207-00-2005 24.98
Super Mario Alumi Case 207-00-0149 12.48
XB1 Power A Wired Controller Nebula 207-00-0772 14.98
XB1 Power A Wired Controller White 207-00-0769 14.98
XB1 Stealth Series Wired Controller Phantom Black Camo 207-00-0120 12.48
Skullcandy Venue Wireless Noise Canceling Headset 008-07-0927 89.98
Skullcandy Hesh2 Headset 008-07-0264 29.98
Razer Kraken Headset 207-00-0325 49.98
Razer Naga Trinity Mouse 207-00-0317 49.98
Logitech Trackman Wireless Mouse 056-00-0010 19.98
Logitech F310 Gamepad 056-00-0100 13.98
Sony Wireless Home Audio System 008-03-0332 59.98

So anyone that lives near the Boston area, you can find everything I listed at the Watertown Target. They had a whole end cap of the controllers so there's plenty for everyone! Not much for games on clearance though.

So anyone that lives near the Boston area, you can find everything I listed at the Watertown Target. They had a whole end cap of the controllers so there's plenty for everyone! Not much for games on clearance though.
Did that Target happen to be going through a remodel? I ask because the only store around me that has the controllers discounted (but sold out) is being remodeled, and I wonder if it's a "temporarily reducing the assortment at these locations" type move.

I remember some people posting about price changes on the app whether inside or outside of the store. Guess you aren't the only ones who noticed.

https://www.11alive.com/article/money/consumer/the-target-app-price-switch-what-you-need-to-know/85-9ef4106a-895d-4522-8a00-c15cff0a0514
Yeah, it just switches prices based on GPS location. If you are far enough aware from a Target location, it will show the price from Target.com and if you are close enough, it will show the in-store price for the item.

The app tries to help you, but if you don't realize it, you may not realize the price online may be cheaper than in the store and miss out on price match opportunities.

The nice thing about it is you can spoof GPS locations to find in-store prices for products assuming that you can find the product via the app. I have found that the scanner in the app is inconsistent. Sometimes the price is returns in-store is different from what the price actually is.

The more you know.

Picked up a New 3ds xl recently... anyone seen any clearance cases lately or anything that might be useful?

Yeah, it just switches prices based on GPS location. If you are far enough aware from a Target location, it will show the price from Target.com and if you are close enough, it will show the in-store price for the item.

The app tries to help you, but if you don't realize it, you may not realize the price online may be cheaper than in the store and miss out on price match opportunities.

The nice thing about it is you can spoof GPS locations to find in-store prices for products assuming that you can find the product via the app. I have found that the scanner in the app is inconsistent. Sometimes the price is returns in-store is different from what the price actually is.

The more you know.
Exactly. The reason they offer price matching target.com is because (get this), sometimes it is cheaper than in store prices.

The Target app used to be really good for price checking clearance stuff, cause it tended to have the right price or even lower than what scanners said (opening option to price match). But for a while now I find scanning clearance items more often shows me full price.

I live in Watertown and this is the best Target - ever! I picked up the Razor Kraken headphones for $30 a couple of weeks ago.

I live in Watertown and this is the best Target - ever! I picked up the Razor Kraken headphones for $30 a couple of weeks ago.
Good to know! The one in Framingham sucks (they skip the clearance and go straight to salvage). I should be heading east rather than west it seems :)

Great price on beats 3 solo except out of stock everywhere.

Having owned them and the Studio3, I highly recommend the latter. The Solo3 were very uncomfortable for any decent length of time wearing them since they sit ON your eye, not over. The Studio3 cups your ears and is much more comfortable. The sound dampening is light years better as well.

Non Gaming Related Deal:

Just picked up an Aerogarden Harvest "as-is" (so YMMV) for $48.98. There were 2 on the shelf and are listed for $149.99 on target.com. My wife and I were always curious about these, and with the growing season starting off a little harsher than usual, we figured we'd give it a shot. We set it up with the pack-in herbs, but she is already planning out the germinating schedule for the rest of her spring garden.

https://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker?sku=072-04-2956

Not clearance, technically, but my Target in Seattle just discontinued Dragon Quest Heroes 2 and dropped the price to 9.99 without tagging it (only noticed because I was bored and had my My device while convering an electronics break)

DPCI 207 34 0205

Not clearance, technically, but my Target in Seattle just discontinued Dragon Quest Heroes 2 and dropped the price to 9.99 without tagging it (only noticed because I was bored and had my My device while convering an electronics break)

DPCI 207 34 0205
Looks like the Bellevue Target has the same price. Sadly, "limited stock" so probably not worth my going there for.

DPCI 207 34 0205
It was posted about on Jan 25 along with a couple other games; onrush and dissidia

Both of those games are marked as discontinued at the store i went to. Games were not on the floor, were stored in the back.

DPCI 207 34 0205
Found a copy at my local target.

Steep gold edition $5.98 Xbox one

Non Gaming Related Deal:

Just picked up an Aerogarden Harvest "as-is" (so YMMV) for $48.98. There were 2 on the shelf and are listed for $149.99 on target.com. My wife and I were always curious about these, and with the growing season starting off a little harsher than usual, we figured we'd give it a shot. We set it up with the pack-in herbs, but she is already planning out the germinating schedule for the rest of her spring garden.

https://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker?sku=072-04-2956
Thanks! Found one of these at my local Target.

Scored a copy of the Dragon Quest Heroes II at the 2nd Target I looked at. $9.99 and they had 3 in the stockroom according to the electronics dude. None were on the shelves.

Brickseek showed limited stock.

saw A Way Out on clearance for xb1 ($15) and ps4 ($30- which is retail pricing). The ps4 copy wouldn't even scan. Also saw Rainbow Six Siege for ps4 on clearance for $40 something, which made zero sense to me as a clearance price.

saw A Way Out on clearance for xb1 ($15) and ps4 ($30- which is retail pricing). The ps4 copy wouldn't even scan. Also saw Rainbow Six Siege for ps4 on clearance for $40 something, which made zero sense to me as a clearance price.
See attached photo:

[attachment=31764:IMG_0124.jpg]

bread's done
Back