Team Fortress 2 Discussion Thread

Hmm I just got an error yesterday saying my pl_hoodoo_final is not the same as the server's. Should I just delete the map and have the server re download it?

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Hmm I just got an error yesterday saying my pl_hoodoo_final is not the same as the server's. Should I just delete the map and have the server re download it?[/QUOTE]

It's likely that server hasn't updated the latest version.

[quote name='KhaosX']18 new hats and I still don't have one...[/QUOTE]

You aren't alone. I play daily for at least two hours and I've yet to unlock a single hat. Hell, I've only seen someone else find a hat one time.

Hey, does anybody happen to have a spare Guest Pass that they wouldn't mind parting with? I'm trying to get my friend on TF2 and we want to see how it runs on his laptop. My guest pass apparently expired even though I only bought the game a few months ago.

[quote name='darthbudge']I finally found The Cloak and Dagger and it is awesome. It makes playing as a spy like 100x more fun for me.[/QUOTE]

Haha cloak and dagger is definitely fun, since I'm probably the worst spy around. It's the only time where I get to stand around and not get killed while watching everyone pass by.

I dont think I'll ever master spy though, way too different than playing soldier or demoman.

I never play as spy because when I do I am only good enough to get one kill per life. That's not a good spy so I stick to other classes, even if I wish I was good at it. I found the Dead Ringer pretty useful since you can charge in, fake die, and loop around. Only problem is the charge time kind of sucks.

dead ringer is good if you play spy a lot - you basically can't die if you play it right.

C&D is for noobs / stalking / actually spying and reporting to your team.

invis watch is for going on knife chain kills.

[quote name='KhaosX']http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197967046547

I take pride in my level 0 backburner and level 100 ubersaw :)

http://www.tf2items.com/ for those who want to show off their own[/QUOTE]That's an awesome link.

I just saw my husband's and my other friend's backpacks and LOL'd at how anal retentive they are at organizing their stuff.

Edited to add: Khaos, my friend has his backpack just like yours, identical items adjacent and in level order. My husband put all the same items in their own columns

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Dead ringer is terrible. Unless you're a noob the dead ringer is too obvious. You can pretty much tell instantly when a spy has the dead ringer.[/QUOTE]

IF you don't know the maps, then yes, it is terrible.

if you know the maps, and know the best places to decloak and are patient, DR is I think the best.

Picking up ammunition is key to using it and staying alive.

also - my hilarious backpack: http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197999409610

[quote name='Sleepkyng']IF you don't know the maps, then yes, it is terrible.

if you know the maps, and know the best places to decloak and are patient, DR is I think the best.

Picking up ammunition is key to using it and staying alive.

also - my hilarious backpack: http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197999409610[/QUOTE]

Damm dude, that's a shitload of stuff! I've got like 3 items, I need to play some more TF2.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Damm dude, that's a shitload of stuff! I've got like 3 items, I need to play some more TF2.[/QUOTE]

i earned most of the unlocks, except for the sniper ones i think.

but I get an item pretty much every hour.

for Dead Ringer - ammo replenishes cloak.

Yea I've gotten so much items that I had to delete stuff. Nowadays I just decline I'm keeping the weapons altogether. I just keep the hats I found. I got two so far, and I play at least 2 hrs a day.

I use the Dead Ringer when I'm on defense; Cloak & Dagger on offense.

What happens when all the spaces are filled? I've been deleting some of the extra stuff to make room but was just wondering. Only thing I need is the Ax-tinguisher.

When they're all filled, and you get another item from playing, it's going to make you sort through the inventory to delete one item to make room for the item you just got during your respawn time. But I don't see why the spaces should all be filled. You really just need one of each weapon, and the hats don't occupy the inventory space.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']When they're all filled, and you get another item from playing, it's going to make you sort through the inventory to delete one item to make room for the item you just got during your respawn time. But I don't see why the spaces should all be filled. You really just need one of each weapon, and the hats don't occupy the inventory space.[/QUOTE]

I kept more than one of each because there was talk awhile ago about Valve implementing a trading system. Although, that was also back when the unlockable weapons actually had levels higher than 10, so maybe that isn't happening anymore.

[quote name='Nohbdy']They still do.[/QUOTE]
No they don't.

I think he's talking about stuff like Level 100 and 53 items. The Sandvich, Kritzkrieg, and K.G.B are at their default levels even though it's not level 5, 10, or 15.

Yeah. For like a month weapons had levels ranging from 1-100. Now they're just all at their defaults (unless you have one that you unlocked during said time period).

I said that because it'd make sense to have a trading system if there were all kinds of different levels (with higher levels doing more damage), but it would now be kind of pointless since everything is the same.

[quote name='SEH'] I said that because it'd make sense to have a trading system if there were all kinds of different levels (with higher levels doing more damage), but it would now be kind of pointless since everything is the same.[/QUOTE]

That would absolutely ruin Team Fortress 2. As an FPS, TF2 should be entirely skill-based (I detest random crits for this reason); some bozo shouldn't have an advantage just because he stumbled on a level 500 backburner instead of a level 20. There's also numerous inherent problems with visually communicating a weapon's damage output. I hoped, however, that Valve would keep the levels in as a joke since you have people accusing TF2 of becoming an MMO.

[quote name='Serik']That would absolutely ruin Team Fortress 2. As an FPS, TF2 should be entirely skill-based (I detest random crits for this reason); some bozo shouldn't have an advantage just because he stumbled on a level 500 backburner instead of a level 20. There's also numerous inherent problems with visually communicating a weapon's damage output. I hoped, however, that Valve would keep the levels in as a joke since you have people accusing TF2 of becoming an MMO.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I definitely agree, I was just saying that a trading system, if they were to implement it, would make more sense with leveled weapons. But yeah, I totally agree that an FPS should be completely skill based.

[quote name='SEH']Oh, I definitely agree, I was just saying that a trading system, if they were to implement it, would make more sense with leveled weapons. But yeah, I totally agree that an FPS should be completely skill based.[/QUOTE]

Hats.

[quote name='Brak']I use the Dead Ringer when I'm on defense; Cloak & Dagger on offense.[/QUOTE]

yeah, DR on Gold Rush defense is crazy powerful.

I use C&D now and again, but i'm too impatient.

what's your steam id brackles?

we should play sometime.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']yeah, DR on Gold Rush defense is crazy powerful.

I use C&D now and again, but i'm too impatient.

what's your steam id brackles?

we should play sometime.[/QUOTE]
I exclusively play Gold Rush, for some reason. :eek:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/brax0r

You've got to be fucking kidding me

Over the next few days we'll be removing all TF2 items that were earned using external idling applications. We're going to adopt a zero tolerance policy for external applications used to manipulate the persistent item system. Due to us not having a policy in place prior to today, this time we're only removing the items earned through cheating the system. Going forward, if we find users using external applications, we'll remove all of their items. If you're interested, only about 4.5% of the players in TF2's community will be affected by this cleansing process.

Meanwhile, everyone who took the moral high road will soon be finding a new hat in their inventory. We've also significantly increased the chance of finding any of the existing hats.

We realize there is a high level of demand for items, and we're still working on systems to allow you to find them in new ways (via Trading, and crafting duplicates into desired items). However, we need to draw the line at running external applications.

fuck!

Meanwhile, everyone who took the moral high road will soon be finding a new hat in their inventory. We've also significantly increased the chance of finding any of the existing hats.

That right there would have probably been my only chance to get one as I haven't scored squat!

ive been in achievement servers, but ive never used a 3rd party program. i dont feel bad about using achievement servers, its the only way i was going to get things for scout, heavy, medic... classes i rarely play. of course this was before the random item dropping.

The hat is an angel's halo called Cheater's Lament.

It has Level 1 Aura of Incorruptibility. (IF ONLY THIS MEANT TO HALT TEAM SWITCHING)

Any class can use it.

So my understanding is that external idling applications =/= idling servers. Is this correct? I ask because I used an idling server for about 4 hours the other day (temptation got the better of me), but decided it wasn't worth wasting electricity on idling a TF2 character :p

Hehe, sweet.

I don't fully understand how this all works though. I didn't idle and just got an Engineer's Cap. I also can optionally equip all my classes with the Cheater's Lament halo. Are idlers forced to wear the halo or something?

[quote name='NTolerance']Hehe, sweet.

I don't fully understand how this all works though. I didn't idle and just got an Engineer's Cap. I also can optionally equip all my classes with the Cheater's Lament halo. Are idlers forced to wear the halo or something?[/QUOTE]

No, they don't get one.

I idled, and got most of my stuff taken away. Am I mad they really didn't warn us? Yes. Valve handled the situation horribly. But do I really care that my items are gone? Nope. I'll get them back.

Well...that was fast:

uhoh.png

Yup...all my stuff is gone:

http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561198001295719

Their 4.5% number seems highly suspect, or it only takes into consideration whether you own the game of not. The idler, for the past few weeks, has had at least 10k people connected to it. When you consider that people leave the server, join the server, etc, it's possible that 14k or 15k people have ever connected to it. While it's hard to determine the number of active TF2 players, the generally quoted number is around 20k. Even inflated a bit to around 40k, that still means 37% of people that still play the game idled.

bread's done
Back