(Telltale) Walking Dead Collector's Edition - Gamestop Exclusive $69.99

litepink

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
Source: IGN

Telltale has now confirmed to IGN that the Collector’s Edition of The Walking Dead: The Game :)360: :ps3:) will be a GameStop exclusive and is available only to customers who pre-order. As seen below, the set will be available for $69.99 on December 4th and includes:

• A disc containing all five episodes of the game
  • The Walking Dead Compendium One (which normally retails for $59.99 and includes the first 48 issues) with exclusive Charlie Adlard cover art
  • A Collector’s Edition box featuring Charlie Adlard artwork

walkingdeadcag.jpg

---

Retailer exclusive and only through pre-order. This might be one of those collector's editions that doesn't go for half price a few months down the line.

**Available for pre-order now**

The standard release is $29.99 and both SKUs will be out December 4th. [delayed] December 11th.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Brother Daz']BttF has two trophy sets[/QUOTE]

But that was before they realized a retail game needed a Platinum trophy and BttF did individual trophies for each episode with the download version.

I asked Greg Miller of IGN PS on Twitter and while he said likely not, Telltale has not confirmed one way or the other.

[quote name='JohnWayne']How long does each chapter usually take to beat? I love the show so I might get this if the game is anything like the show[/QUOTE]
A couple hours or so each. I had only watched the show before the game and absolutely love it! I've just started reading the comics (never was a big fan of comics) and love them also.

Short answer, if you like the show...BUY IT!

[quote name='Brother Daz']A couple hours or so each. I had only watched the show before the game and absolutely love it! I've just started reading the comics (never was a big fan of comics) and love them also.

Short answer, if you like the show...BUY IT![/QUOTE]

Thanks brother, definately going to place my preorder at GS ASAP

Here is a quick question...I've been downloading these Walking Dead episodes all along on 360. The most recent 4th episode unlocked all the achievements as I played, but my gamer score didn't update, and when I look at the game achievements the image of the achievements are unlocked, but it doesn't have the score updated for that game. It does however when I compare it to a friends game. How the hell do I get my score updated?

Might finally try the demo for this. Really HATE the show, and think the comic's just average.

Heard lots of great things about the game, though.

[quote name='ShirtSizeXXXLXT']Here is a quick question...I've been downloading these Walking Dead episodes all along on 360. The most recent 4th episode unlocked all the achievements as I played, but my gamer score didn't update, and when I look at the game achievements the image of the achievements are unlocked, but it doesn't have the score updated for that game. It does however when I compare it to a friends game. How the hell do I get my score updated?[/QUOTE]
Sometimes with DLC, the achievements don't get added to live.xbox.com until hours or days after the DLC gets released. I know that happened with Episode 4 as well as with some of the prior TWD episodes. If you unlock an achievement before it's active on the website, it shows up on your local account but not online. Usually the solution is to recover your gamertag and re-earn the achievement once it's active on the website.

So I'm pretty unspoiled as far as the comic and show go and I wanted to know where I should start? I know the show is based on the comic but can sometimes differ and supposedly the game is in comic book land not TV land. How far should I read in the books before playing the game?

Can someone tell me if the omnibus collector's hardcover (4 x $60 = $240) are worth that much more than the hardcovers (8 x $20 = $160) and over the compendium (2 x $35 = $70)?

Are the book sizes in amazon accurate?

compendium 6.6 x 1.9 x 10.2 inches
hardcover 7.8 x 0.8 x 11.3 inches
omnibus 7 x 1.9 x 10 inches

Considering 1 x compendium = 4 x hardcover = 2 x omnibus

Assuming the hardcovers (front & back) are about 1/4 inch, can I assume that the paper quality in the hardcover is only slight better than that in the compendium, but the omnibus seems to be a fair bit better than the hardcover?

Does the omnibus have extra content over the hardcover? What about the hardcover compared to the compendium?

Thanks!!

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Just an FYI, that book (the compendium) in the collector's set has been out for a while. They are just releasing a new cover for this edition. If you're really interested in getting into the comics there are easier ways. The Walking Dead is being published in various formats.

1) the compendium (which is gigantically fat)
4500e03ae7a0f922f9fa1210.L._AA300_.jpg

2) the hardcovers (which I prefer, for their modest size and quality)
41Frd-eDWqL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

3) the omnibus collector's hardcover (which is a gigantic fat hardcover)
61Ml8ntzYgL._AA300_.jpg

4) and the average collected trade paper back
71AVVKsjVvL._AA300_.jpg

My books on my shelf are mostly the hard covers #2. I have alot of the regular trades (#4). I also have one of the omnibus hardcovers. And I have all the single issues after that. I've held the compendium that they're offering in this Telltalle collector's edition. I just think it's too big, too unwieldly and costly. I'd suggest to anyone interested in reading the story to buy the single trades (#4) they're only $9 each.

The story just passed issue #100 in the single issues and the story is still going strong.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='powersurge']So I'm pretty unspoiled as far as the comic and show go and I wanted to know where I should start? I know the show is based on the comic but can sometimes differ and supposedly the game is in comic book land not TV land. How far should I read in the books before playing the game?[/QUOTE]
You don't have to read the comics or watch the tv show at all to play the game. The game has a separate story with all new characters that take place in the same walking dead universe as the comic. Occasionally, there is a cameo from comic/show but that's about it.

Yeah, the game is it's own new story. It has elements from the comic and TV show, but it is an all new story. The TV show follows the comic loosely. At this point I might recommend the TV show to watch, THEN read the comic.

But the game you can play at any time without spoiling either.

[quote name='powersurge']So I'm pretty unspoiled as far as the comic and show go and I wanted to know where I should start? I know the show is based on the comic but can sometimes differ and supposedly the game is in comic book land not TV land. How far should I read in the books before playing the game?[/QUOTE]

The game takes place essentially before the start of the comic, it's while Rick is in his coma. So you won't spoil anything. You do meet one primary comic character in Chapter 1 but then you go your separate ways.

IMO, this game is GOTY by a mile. Can't wait for the finale.
I don't recall the last time I cared about characters in a video game so much.

Put a preorder down for a copy each of the xbox360/ps3 version's. I had to put down $25x2, because it's such a limited release instead of the usual $5 down.

[quote name='yobaburp']Put a preorder down for a copy each of the xbox360/ps3 version's. I had to put down $25x2, because it's such a limited release instead of the usual $5 down.[/QUOTE]

lol. Is that the line gamestop used on you?

[quote name='GBAstar']lol. Is that the line gamestop used on you?[/QUOTE]
It is a limited release thats the fact jack.

[quote name='yobaburp']It is a limited release thats the fact jack.[/QUOTE]

Well my gamestop sold it to me for $59.99 because he said it was super duper limited and I had to put it all down or nothing. Then he winked at me and put his finger to his lips and I left satisfied.

[quote name='yobaburp']It is a limited release thats the fact jack.[/QUOTE]

Yeah no shit it's a limited release. It's limited to being released on the release date. Doesn't mean they are doing a small print number and the amount you put down isn't justified by it being "limited" it is justified by Gamestop not wanting dozens sitting on store shelfs.

What makes this limited? The box?

[quote name='itsoverninethousand']Well my gamestop sold it to me for $59.99 because he said it was super duper limited and I had to put it all down or nothing. Then he winked at me and put his finger to his lips and I left satisfied.[/QUOTE]

This is never gonna get old.

[quote name='GBAstar']What makes this limited? The box?[/QUOTE]

This is really what makes this release tricky. Aside from the alternate cover art (that I don't really like anymore than the regular cover), it doesn't actually have anything exclusive included.

It'll definitely (defiantly) be limited in quantity, but who is really willing to pay more down the line for two items packaged together that can be bought separately for cheaper than the MSRP of this to begin with?

Regular edition cover art, for reference and oooh:

51Zx5TA5g0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sure, the box set is more authentic TWD comic cover style, but this cover really epitomizes the game's entire feel. Unless you let her die in the 2nd episode...

...but I have no idea if that's possible or not :) (only played the 1st so far)

[quote name='Kerig']This is really what makes this release tricky. Aside from the alternate cover art (that I don't really like anymore than the regular cover), it doesn't actually have anything exclusive included.

It'll definitely (defiantly) be limited in quantity, but who is really willing to pay more down the line for two items packaged together that can be bought separately for cheaper than the MSRP of this to begin with?

Sure, the box set is more authentic TWD comic cover style, but this cover really epitomizes the game's entire feel. Unless you let her die in the 2nd episode...

...but I have no idea if that's possible or not :) (only played the 1st so far)[/QUOTE]

yeah yeah so I make a habit of misspelling definitely :)

This is an easy purchae or me because it's niche and nice to have but they really should have thrown in something, anything, to make it stand out on its own.

[quote name='Asgardian']Can someone tell me if the omnibus collector's hardcover (4 x $60 = $240) are worth that much more than the hardcovers (8 x $20 = $160) and over the compendium (2 x $35 = $70)?

Assuming the hardcovers (front & back) are about 1/4 inch, can I assume that the paper quality in the hardcover is only slight better than that in the compendium, but the omnibus seems to be a fair bit better than the hardcover?

Does the omnibus have extra content over the hardcover? What about the hardcover compared to the compendium?

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

Conpendiums don't include the original cover art for each issue but the omnibus does. I'm not sure about the books or volumes though (volumes have even less issues covered than the books).

meh, the game wasn't as good as people claim, its basically a point and click adventure game. it's not bad for the price, I'l probably get the retail release if it hits rock bottom price but tbh thats it.

[quote name='usrevenge']meh, the game wasn't as good as people claim, its basically a point and click adventure game. it's not bad for the price, I'l probably get the retail release if it hits rock bottom price but tbh thats it.[/QUOTE]

What were you expecting from Telltale?

[quote name='usrevenge']meh, the game wasn't as good as people claim, its basically a point and click adventure game. it's not bad for the price, I'l probably get the retail release if it hits rock bottom price but tbh thats it.[/QUOTE]

If your invested in the universe (comics not TV) then this is amazing game/story

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='joshnorm']If your invested in the universe (comics not TV) then this is amazing game/story[/QUOTE]

Quoted for truth!

[quote name='cancermatt']I'd just like to say: To all the haters who bad-mouthed a HUGE zombie fan for waiting to save money for a retail disc of The Walking Dead episode collection and actually save money (because this is Cheap Ass Gamer after all, not dumb-ass gamer for buying every episode digitally): I told ya so! :)

Looks like I'll be picking up this! Completing the game, and reselling it afterward! Have fun with the digital copies![/QUOTE]

I fail to see how your gloating adds up? I paid 19.99 for the season pass and got a free dynamic theme and picked up my compendium months ago when it was on sale for 29.99. I paid a total of $50 for both, have been enjoying the shit out of the game and have spread the greatness of WD to others by loaning out my compendium. You are going to pick this up for $70 and try to resell a $30 game for, I will give you $20 tops resell value coming out at $50, same as i've spend except I still have my digital copy to replay over and over again because its that fucking good. It really is just like rewatching a tv series or rereading the comics.

So your gloating makes no sense to me.

[quote name='litepink']Seriously, I did. :booty:

In jest, I added a watermark like many gaming websites would do. Click on the IGN link in the OP, they did just that. It was a parody, a joke, as I alluded to in an earlier reply.

Just a staff member but yes, that's me :)[/QUOTE]
Company can sue you or something cause you do not own the rights to the image. I suggest not doing your mark on stuff you do not own the rights. Just a friendly suggestion.

And thats bad because.....?

I thought that was the APPEAL of it. That it was a point and click adventure for the modern age done right. THeres a lot of people that miss those old style of games

Anyway. As a HUGE walking dead fan from back before it blew up with the TV series and all that stuff I gotta say... this is a very unimpressive collectors edition. More than DOUBLE the price of the stand alone game and all you get is the crappy compendium? Wouldn't real fans already have the trade paperbacks, or the hardcover collectors editions of these? I know I do. I want it for the neat cover art but if it really just has the compendium i dont need and the game and thats it then i really dont think i can justify getting it. Is it at least a steelbook? Doesn't look like it

They should have included a cool limited edition zombie figure or something

^_^x KD

[quote name='Asgardian']Can someone tell me if the omnibus collector's hardcover (4 x $60 = $240) are worth that much more than the hardcovers (8 x $20 = $160) and over the compendium (2 x $35 = $70)?

Thanks!!
[/QUOTE]

In case anyone cares, the compendium is scaled slightly smaller than the original comic size. The softcover volumes are actual size. I believe the hardcover is slightly oversized. This is in terms of the panel sizes.

[quote name='slowdive21']In case anyone cares, the compendium is scaled slightly smaller than the original comic size. The softcover volumes are actual size. I believe the hardcover is slightly oversized. This is in terms of the panel sizes.[/QUOTE]

This is correct. I just put the hardcover pages under a regular monthly issue and the Hardcover pages were slightly bigger

^_^x KD

[quote name='slowdive21']In case anyone cares, the compendium is scaled slightly smaller than the original comic size. The softcover volumes are actual size. I believe the hardcover is slightly oversized. This is in terms of the panel sizes.[/QUOTE]

The Compendium is the size of a standard TPB/comic book. So unless the comics don't have a slight border, then the pages should be the exact same size. I have the compendium and single issues as well as TPBs to compare it to. I don't have any Walking Dead single issues though.

The hardcovers are the standard oversized trim for the comic industry.

[quote name='Kerig']This is really what makes this release tricky. Aside from the alternate cover art (that I don't really like anymore than the regular cover), it doesn't actually have anything exclusive included.

...but I have no idea if that's possible or not :) (only played the 1st so far)[/QUOTE]
This cover owns the ce i do not like at all.

i chose to wait so i can play them all at once. being a rabid TWD fan waiting months between stories would have drove me mad. i barely make it month to month with the comics.:bouncy:

i do agree they dropped the ball, listing the box everything comes in as its some big bonus is sad. the compendium with new cover is the main reason im buying for me its worth the $70. if they did a figure or something else it would have been a homerun this just seams lazy. can't wait to dive into the game.

Extremely Limited Pre-Order ONLY
Collector's Edition box
Game Case
Game Disc
The Walking Dead Compendium 1 featuring exclusive Charlie Adlard cover art. Over 1,000 pages collecting the first 48 issues of Robert Kirkman's award-winning comic book series.

p.s thanks OP i might have missed this

I'm on the fence. I already have the compendium and have been buying the episodes digitally. There is nothing really new to this set to justify the price.

Lies...if you love stories, tension, characters and making choices that feel like they matter, and zombies, you'll love this game.

[quote name='Kenshindono']This is correct. I just put the hardcover pages under a regular monthly issue and the Hardcover pages were slightly bigger

^_^x KD[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kodave']The Compendium is the size of a standard TPB/comic book. So unless the comics don't have a slight border, then the pages should be the exact same size. I have the compendium and single issues as well as TPBs to compare it to. I don't have any Walking Dead single issues though.

The hardcovers are the standard oversized trim for the comic industry.[/QUOTE]

IDK, I'm either right or wrong. :D If I remember correctly the compendium was smaller than the collected softcover volumes. I remember reading through the volumes, then switching to the compendium to finish the story and remembering the panels being slightly smaller.

[quote name='slowdive21']IDK, I'm either right or wrong. :D If I remember correctly the compendium was smaller than the collected softcover volumes. I remember reading through the volumes, then switching to the compendium to finish the story and remembering the panels being slightly smaller.[/QUOTE]

The first quote is only comparing the HCs to the the single issues. There's no question the HCs are oversized.

But the paper size of the Compendium is the exact same as the single issues and the TPBs. The only way the panels are smaller is if the publisher, for some reason, shrunk them despite using the exact same paper size, which would be incredibly strange.

This is seriously the best game to come out in a long time. Light years ahead of everyone else when it comes to storytelling and character development. I actually cared what happened to the characters in this game, and that hasn't happened very often before. The collector's edition looks pretty sweet, but having already bought the game digitally on XBOX Live, I don't think I can justify the purchase. I do plan on buying a copy of the regular edition just to support the game though.

Anybody else think this will be super limited? Gamestop has cut off instore pickup, and the compendium weighs a little over 5 lbs on its own. I could see a lot of these being damaged in transit.

bread's done
Back