(Telltale) Walking Dead Collector's Edition - Gamestop Exclusive $69.99

litepink

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
Source: IGN

Telltale has now confirmed to IGN that the Collector’s Edition of The Walking Dead: The Game :)360: :ps3:) will be a GameStop exclusive and is available only to customers who pre-order. As seen below, the set will be available for $69.99 on December 4th and includes:

• A disc containing all five episodes of the game
  • The Walking Dead Compendium One (which normally retails for $59.99 and includes the first 48 issues) with exclusive Charlie Adlard cover art
  • A Collector’s Edition box featuring Charlie Adlard artwork

walkingdeadcag.jpg

---

Retailer exclusive and only through pre-order. This might be one of those collector's editions that doesn't go for half price a few months down the line.

**Available for pre-order now**

The standard release is $29.99 and both SKUs will be out December 4th. [delayed] December 11th.

Last edited by a moderator:
honestly don't like the game, I mean it's kinda interesting but at the same time... meh, it's sorta like one of those books where you pick what happens next.. isn't the game as a whole $15? then this is $70? kind of a stretch.

Cancelled my order.

Entire collection was $12 over thanksgiving. The book its self bounces between $15-$35

If it had something "special" with it id have kept it to go with my Blu Ray season 2 statue (which is epic).

Don't really see the point in paying $70 for a collection when i can buy it separate for less than half that.

[quote name='usrevenge']honestly don't like the game, I mean it's kinda interesting but at the same time... meh, it's sorta like one of those books where you pick what happens next.. isn't the game as a whole $15? then this is $70? kind of a stretch.[/QUOTE]

Which is very true hence why they give you a physical copy of the source material that MSRP is $60 but on Amazon is $30 or so.

But if you don't like it then don't get it, no worries. The CE is a great pick up point for those that haven't touched the comics before and love/wanted to check out the game.

[quote name='Serpentor']Wait, it was $12 on PSN or Live? I missed it? Darn...[/QUOTE]

Steam and Amazon only. It hasn't dropped that low on PS3 or Xbox.

All I'll say is that cumulatively, this game has some of the best storytelling in a game, period. Sometimes even superior to its source. Each part separately isn't always as great as another (the last part was a bit lacking in length, and felt slightly rushed, for instance) , but the sum total is an incredible achievement. The voice work alone (acting and direction) is miles above most of what the big developers are cranking out.

This package, however? Meh. It's... okay. They should open it up to PC players, sell it on Amazon, and include a keychain or SOMETHING at least.

[quote name='Reraise']Cancelled my order.

Entire collection was $12 over thanksgiving. The book its self bounces between $15-$35

If it had something "special" with it id have kept it to go with my Blu Ray season 2 statue (which is epic).

Don't really see the point in paying $70 for a collection when i can buy it separate for less than half that.[/QUOTE]

Where did you see the first compendium for $15? I recently bought both compendiums for ~$30 each using a coupon at Barnes & Noble.

[quote name='mcthatch']Lies...if you love stories, tension, characters and making choices that feel like they matter, and zombies, you'll love this game.[/QUOTE]
I love all of these things. The game was still the most boring pile of crap I've ever played through.

[quote name='thenutman69321']I love all of these things. The game was still the most boring pile of crap I've ever played through.[/QUOTE]

The fact that it is pretty much universally not just liked, but loved, by anyone who has experienced it says a lot about you as a gamer and your ignorance. I cant believe you have the balls to make a statement like that. Not everyone needs an attention span right?

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Anybody know if this is gonna be like the BttF disc version? Like it actually has a Platinum? Are they on the disc or is it a DLC voucher?[/QUOTE]

They are on disc, that's the way it's been in the past with Jurassic Park, Sam and Max, etc. I just don't know if you have to download the disc to your hard drive or not. But you didn't with Jurassic Park or BttF.

Hmm, looks like it's still cheaper to buy the game and compendium separately but the box art is nice.

I was hoping we'd see some deals on the standard $30 version but seeing as how it releases so close to Christmas and it's only $30 I'm assuming we won't see anything like that.

[quote name='Glasscocked']The fact that it is pretty much universally not just liked, but loved, by anyone who has experienced it says a lot about you as a gamer and your ignorance. I cant believe you have the balls to make a statement like that. Not everyone needs an attention span right?[/QUOTE]

Oh no, he doesn't like what you like, it's the end of the world!!!! :-({|=

[quote name='notstylin']I feel the same way. I've been trying to get Xenoblade Chronicles but it's Gamestop exclusive. Everywhere I look online besides there it's ~$70. I've been to three different Gamestops and all they had were the "New" copies that were open with stickers all over the case, and probably missing the Club Nintendo codes.[/QUOTE]

in stock atm

[quote name='bjstucker']So the game on PSN is ~20$ but for a disc copy they want you to pay 300% more for the Standard edition.[/QUOTE]

Standard edition is $30.

[quote name='bjstucker']So the game on PSN is ~20$ but for a disc copy they want you to pay 300% more for the Standard edition.[/QUOTE]

You're just paying more for different box art, a box, and a compendium.

Xbox Game Download - $25
Compendium 1 - $34 (Amazon) MSRP $59.99

So $59 you can get the game (download) and the compendium. But for $10 more I'd rather have the game on disc and the LE artwork. To me this is a LE that's fairly priced.

I know this is based on the comics and not the TV series (I know that's also based on the comics too to anyone who really believed I didn't know that) But I've been meaning to watch the TV series and keep forgetting. Would playing through this be good or bad for me in terms of spoilers?

For some reason, I'm more interested in the Compendium than the game. Has anyone read the Compendium? What are your thoughts on it?

So I preordered already, but what's their return policy? If I see this is not rare and as limited as they claim I'm just goin to return it.

[quote name='The Lord of Awesome']I know this is based on the comics and not the TV series (I know that's also based on the comics too to anyone who really believed I didn't know that) But I've been meaning to watch the TV series and keep forgetting. Would playing through this be good or bad for me in terms of spoilers?[/QUOTE]

The game is not based on the comics. Its a standalone story.

[quote name='TommyLove']For some reason, I'm more interested in the Compendium than the game. Has anyone read the Compendium? What are your thoughts on it?[/QUOTE]

The compendium is the first 52 or so issues of the actual comic series. This is the easiest way to catch up if you are out of the loop. It's way better than buying early single issues because anything below issue #95(issue #104 just came out this past month) go for a ridiculous amount of money which is why I will be also getting compendium 2. Very well written and well drawn. But after playing the first two chapters of the game and watching the show, let me be the first to say that the game and the comic even the tv series do not follow each other religiously. The game doesnt even have anything to do with what ive read in the comics. The tv series I can say does follow the comic to an extent but after watching the show, some things have changed. Some characters that are in the tv series are not in the comic and parts of the story have changed for tv. However, this does not take away from how great the series is.

I myself am in for this limited edition set because I never got to complete the game and I never bought the compendium. On top of that, the limited edition cover art was enough to justify the purchase. So to me this set is pretty solid for fans and people curious about the series.

So it seems the game is being delayed until 12/11. Not that big of a difference but I was planning on using a $15 K-mart coupon on it that expires on 12/8 :oldman:

To add to the confusion, Best Buy now has a "Limited Edition" Standard Edition for $29.99 that shows slightly different artwork (I really hope they didn't change the standard edition to this all-zombies cover) and "includes a door poster to help you show off your fandom"

I'm now on the fence of skipping all of this disc nonsense and just using one of my $10 1600pt cards to buy the 4 episodes I need on XBLA.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Lord of Awesome']I know this is based on the comics and not the TV series (I know that's also based on the comics too to anyone who really believed I didn't know that) But I've been meaning to watch the TV series and keep forgetting. Would playing through this be good or bad for me in terms of spoilers?[/QUOTE]

The game is set in the same world as the comics, around the time Rick was in a coma. No connection at all with the TV series (thank goodness). As far as spoilers, you have nothing to worry about for either one. It's self contained.

[quote name='dino88']Standard edition is $30.[/QUOTE]

hmm weird I looked at it last night and I swear it said 59.99 for standard and 69.99 for LE

[quote name='bjstucker']hmm weird I looked at it last night and I swear it said 59.99 for standard and 69.99 for LE[/QUOTE]

You were probably looking at the other Walking Dead game that comes out next year. That one is $59.99.

Aside from a cameo by Glenn, this is entirely separate from the show. And it's all the better for that.

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']Is the compendium a hardcover?[/QUOTE]

Nope.

From Gamestop's product details : Featuring cover art exclusive to the Collector's Edition, this is the first 48 issues of the fan-favorite, New York Times Best Seller series collected into one massive paperback collection! Over one thousand pages chronicle the beginning of Robert Kirkman's Eisner Award-winning continuing story of survival horror- from Rick Grimes waking up alone in hospital, to him and his family seeking solace on Hershel's farm, and the controversial introduction of Woodbury despot: The Governor.

Man went to gamestop and they told me the minimum deposit for collector editions are 25.00. Wow they went up use to be like 5.00 or 10.00

[quote name='Slowdance']A book that costs less than $35 on Amazon and one of the worst "games" of all time for only $70? Where do I sign up?![/QUOTE]

Woah, tell us how you really feel. Book is 35 and the game is 30, so ur paying an extra $5 bucks for the exclusive cover/art I guess.

LMFAO one of the worst games of all-time? C'mon Slowdance, we all know you like to take the unpopular opinion route, but get real.

[quote name='shadowkast']Sucks it's GS exclusive but remember, they don't make shit off msrp sales.[/QUOTE]

This was exactly the thought that came to me. New game sales don't make them much money at all, they just increase traffic to their site and stores.

[quote name='Tsel']LMFAO one of the worst games of all-time? C'mon Slowdance, we all know you like to take the unpopular opinion route, but get real.[/QUOTE]

Its not quite as bad as JP, but its still in Telltales shame pile. Even for an adventure game, it really lacks interactivity.

I'm just pointing out that this is a $20 game (unless retail is a full 50% more) being sold with a cheap readily available compendium for a premium. An exclusive cover is kinda cool, but how is this a CE? Its just two items being sold for far more than they are sold separately.

Wow, not to start a pointless fight, but good grief, a lot of folks love this game.
Worst games of the year? Come on, did you even play it?
Great story, choices that mean something, I thought it was one of the best games all year.

That being said this is to expensive for what you get.

[quote name='Slowdance']A book that costs less than $35 on Amazon and one of the worst "games" of all time for only $70? Where do I sign up?![/QUOTE]

Can you please go be an idiot in some other thread?

Lol at all the outrage. Sorry, but some of us play games for gameplay. I adore The Walking Dead, but the game is fucking pathetic.

One of the very few games that received both critical and commercial praise, and was a massive success this year
Pathetic? Come on seriously, you're straight trolling now. This game crossed boundaries for a lotta people. Even folks who were strictly dude bro shooter guys were getting into this.

No way you played this.

[quote name='warboss zorbag']One of the very few games that received both critical and commercial praise, and was a massive success this year
Pathetic? Come on seriously, you're straight trolling now. This game crossed boundaries for a lotta people. Even folks who were strictly dude bro shooter guys were getting into this.

No way you played this.[/QUOTE]

Well, I wouldn't exactly say "played" since its about as interactive as opening a cereal box, but i've played through the first 4 chapters. The dialogue is decent, but as a game its pretty terrible.

As far as Telltale games, i'd put it below BTTF, which I also think is terrible, but at least it was a video game.

[quote name='gepet0']Man went to gamestop and they told me the minimum deposit for collector editions are 25.00. Wow they went up use to be like 5.00 or 10.00[/QUOTE]

It's still $5 for a standard edition but the deposit for a CE went up to $25 in late March/early April. Basically GS is trying to stop having a glut of CE sitting in stores waiting to be marked down to nothing prices before anyone looks at them.

Of course there's still a bunch of stores sitting on the SF 25th Collection 7 weeks after release when GS marks it down $50 and I can't get an adjustment anymore, grrr.

Also if you don't like Walking Dead, that's fine you can have an opinion. But don't say it's a terrible game when it's not, just you don't like it.

Lots of people loved Dishonored, and I hated the combat and traded it in right after getting it with B2G1F on BF. After being roasted 13 straight deaths by the guys in the first side mission in the brewery where you're supposed to poison the booze and these guys go Skyrim dragon breath on you as soon as they see you I said F this and traded it in.

[quote name='Slowdance']Lol at all the outrage. Sorry, but some of us play games for gameplay. I adore The Walking Dead, but the game is fucking pathetic.[/QUOTE]

If all you want is gameplay, then The Walking Dead is admittedly not for you. But it is one of the most powerful and emotionally moving games I have ever played. It gave me experiences I never imagined I'd get out of a game. The last moments of Episode 5 are going to stick with me for a while.

This was easily one of the best experiences in gaming I've ever had.

bread's done
Back