Test Drive a Chrome Notebook

There was one shipped to my zip... but I called UPS and it's to someone else.. :(
Too bad - hopefully, Google will continue to ship out more!

[quote name='Xfactor19990']sigh google not shipping anymore? sad time indeed........[/QUOTE]
Technically, the third batch went out today. They uploaded the shipping data on Friday, but didn't actually ship the packages until today.

[quote name='Moltres423']called ups about the package# coming to my zip... wasn't mine but I know the exact address its coming to, lol.[/QUOTE]

That's only slightly scary! I don't think they're supposed to give out that info... ;)

I hope mine (assuming it's coming) doesn't get tracked by someone else and taken!

Does anyone know if they're done shipping these out? I really hope they ship more. I was really looking forward to this since I would totally use this as a netbook for school, it would be perfect. Let's hope we all make it!

[quote name='Markew001']That's only slightly scary! I don't think they're supposed to give out that info... ;)

I hope mine (assuming it's coming) doesn't get tracked by someone else and taken![/QUOTE]
Grinch stealing Christmas? Not new. A 2008 news clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMKEO-Yp8Xo&NR=1&feature=fvwp

[quote name='D4rkShaDoWz']Does anyone know if they're done shipping these out? I really hope they ship more. I was really looking forward to this since I would totally use this as a netbook for school, it would be perfect. Let's hope we all make it![/QUOTE]
According to some web site, they ordered 60,000 of these units. So far they have shipped about 6k. So, there should be plenty more shipping out... Someday? Perhaps phase 2?

[quote name='A Gamer']
According to some web site, they ordered 60,000 of these units. So far they have shipped about 6k. So, there should be plenty more shipping out... Someday? Perhaps phase 2?[/QUOTE]

They are accepting applications until the 21st, so does that mean they will take a break and wait a few days till they ship more?

[quote name='Markew001']That's only slightly scary! I don't think they're supposed to give out that info... ;)

I hope mine (assuming it's coming) doesn't get tracked by someone else and taken![/QUOTE]
Indeed it is scary. I would never do anything with the information, but anyone who signed up for this needs to be watching their front porch very carefully; if I can look it up anyone can.

[quote name='tekssx']In hopes of snagging 1 or hoarding 3?[/QUOTE]
only 1. But I was looking at the UPS tracking for my area and one guy received two of them!

[quote name='Moltres423']Indeed it is scary. I would never do anything with the information, but anyone who signed up for this needs to be watching their front porch very carefully; if I can look it up anyone can.[/QUOTE]
70/30

I called up and they would only tell me the name of the person getting the package (I didnt press for more though) Thankfully it was enough to answer the "is it mine" question. As far as others... if you take a min to look at the planned updated UPS tracker... Unless im mistaken but in the future it will say to/from directly on the site =\

[quote name='admiralvic']70/30

I called up and they would only tell me the name of the person getting the package (I didnt press for more though) Thankfully it was enough to answer the "is it mine" question. As far as others... if you take a min to look at the planned updated UPS tracker... Unless im mistaken but in the future it will say to/from directly on the site =\[/QUOTE]
Not to mention the full street address and link to a YouTube video of the package being placed on your doorstep... And stolen several seconds later!

I wait patiently for a cease and desist letter from UPS. Although, technically, there are no UPS links or tracking numbers on my site... :whistle2:#

Signed up. I am not getting it because it's a free laptop, seeing I have a Wii, PSP, PC and iPod touch next to me with internet access. I am curious to see what this operating system is like and I really want to experience it and help make it better. While there is no replacement for a PC, if this a speedy device that is connected to things like google docs, etc I can see the market for this. Especially if it ties into the android marketplace.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Signed up. I am not getting it because it's a free laptop, seeing I have a Wii, PSP, PC and iPod touch next to me with internet access. I am curious to see what this operating system is like and I really want to experience it and help make it better. While there is no replacement for a PC, if this a speedy device that is connected to things like google docs, etc I can see the market for this. Especially if it ties into the android marketplace.[/QUOTE]

Same. I have all those things + a laptop and DS browser... I'm just a nerdy guy who wants to see what this thing is capable of and give feedback on it.

Well I didn't get one but I filled out the form for my dad and he did and from what I can tell only 1 got sent to my area. He's had a mac for almost 2 years and can barely work it. I've all ready been called twice tonight with him asking me questions about it like how to get it to work with his printer and I keep explaining that right now he probably knows more about it than I do. Going to try to go over there tomorrow and play with it or take it with me lol.

After you submit your application, is it suppose to tell you that your application was sent successfully? Because when i submitted mines, it redirected me to the main page (the one where you get to choose which category you fall in to)

[quote name='cookiecrumbz']After you submit your application, is it suppose to tell you that your application was sent successfully? Because when i submitted mines, it redirected me to the main page (the one where you get to choose which category you fall in to)[/QUOTE]
That means you entered something wrong.

I don't see this OS as the future of computing - but I am hoping it succeeds. I have family members and acquaintances who couldn't figure out an operating system to save their lives; they just want to get to their email, facebook, etc.

These are the people who'll wind up with rootkits, half-installed programs and completely broken operating systems because they clicked something they shouldn't have while trying to print out a picture.

For these lovely people in my life, I'd offer this as an alternative to calling me every other weekend to come over and fix whatever you broke.

As a bonus, if this really takes off, web devs like myself will be the most in-demand guys in the room. :D

[quote name='GiJoeyxx']Lucky! When did you sign up for the program?[/QUOTE]

It was last week on Monday or Tuesday I believe. The odd thing is that mine was shipped UPS Ground while most people here or elsewhere got these things shipped to them overnight.

[quote name='Nemesis135n']saw someone on slickdeals.net saying Fedex will be receving them too.[/QUOTE]
So far all the people that I asked gave me UPS tracking numbers for their supposedly FedEx packages. I suspect that they assumed it was FedEx because it came express overnight... So far, I have not seen any actual proof that they have used anything other than UPS (of which I have over 6000 tracking numbers as proof).

[quote name='Supreme Entity']It was last week on Monday or Tuesday I believe. The odd thing is that mine was shipped UPS Ground while most people here or elsewhere got these things shipped to them overnight.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='GiJoeyxx']That is odd. I wonder what the reason for the different shipping methods is?[/QUOTE]
The first 2 batches (12/09 and 12/10) of about 2000 each went out Next Day Air. The third batch of another roughly 2000 went out UPS Ground. The shipping data for the 3rd batch was uploaded 12/10, but most of the packages didn't actually make it to UPS till 12/13.

Are there any more of these units anticatped to be shipped out soon? I'd really like to take one with me when I go home for Christmas this year.

[quote name='captaintek3304']There was one going to my town, but I called UPS and it's not for me. Booooo![/QUOTE]

What are you guys asking UPS? "Uhhh.. I have this random tracking number and I need to know if it's going to such and such a location?" ;)

I am tempted to try... as there are two coming to my zip tomorrow. Part of me just wants to wait and see though...

So I saw someone else ask this, but I don't think it was answered.

Is there a confirmation page upon completion of the application? I get a dialog box asking to continuing running scripts and I always select yes and then the next screen is the select use screen.

[quote name='mvp828']So I saw someone else ask this, but I don't think it was answered.

Is there a confirmation page upon completion of the application? I get a dialog box asking to continuing running scripts and I always select yes and then the next screen is the select use screen.[/QUOTE]

if you enter more than 140 characters in the last box it doesnt work and you dont get a confirmation page. try writing less and see what happens

Actually, I think it is if you take to long to fill out the form???

You can definitely enter more than 140 chars and still get the confirmation screen. Other people have posted that they didn't get the confirmation screen, even with less than 140 chars (they actually counted). So they hit back on their browser (the form was still filled out), and then re-sumbitted and it worked.

Obviously, if you spent a couple hours filling out an essay, and then trying to squeeze it down to 140 chars, you probably ended up spending a lot more time on this then their default 'expiration' is set for... Doh!

I got something better from google today! They just emailed me and picked me from one of 10,000 developers for the google tv. I just checked out and i'm getting a google tv in the next few days!

[quote name='shadylane']I got something better from google today! They just emailed me and picked me from one of 10,000 developers for the google tv. I just checked out and i'm getting a google tv in the next few days![/QUOTE]

Awesome, congrats! :D

bread's done
Back