Test Drive a Chrome Notebook

[quote name='A Gamer']Lets see...

Redmond Washington (home of Windoze): 16 units... Spys much anyone?

Cupertino California (home of OS X): 9 units... Spys much some more?

I know... Both of those are very big cities, with lots of non-biased people... I just though it was fun.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Microsoft and Apple have to both be chomping at the bit to get their hands on one. (Reverse engineering anyone?)
I've got a feeling you and I may be right. (Even if we are joking)

Just checked and no new shipment info to my locale. It'd really help out the business if I get it soon. This is where you come in, Google.

Shipped means that it arrived? I have ETA but some of them say N/A.

Also, what does exception mean? I have three of them say that.

[quote name='shadylane']Shipped means that it arrived? I have ETA but some of them say N/A.

Also, what does exception mean? I have three of them say that.[/QUOTE]

Shipped means it's in transit to the destination.

Just signed up! Hope I get in... although i put my school address and I'm currently on break. Didn't know they would be shipping these things out so soon!

Actually, Cupertino isn't that big. It's moderate compared to some of the surrounding cities, (especially San Jose) but it ain't cheap to live there as you can see here. I know that's besides the point, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for the tracker, doesn't look like I got lucky today, but we'll see what the future brings.

By the way, here's Wired's first look at the machine we're all hoping ends up on our doorsteps soon.

sigh lol nothing today :( After all I have done for you google! I bought your G1, i bought your N1, hassled with your support after it crapped out 2x, why google why?

[quote name='moleman']18 in transit to Louisville, KY. C'monnnnnnnnnnnnn[/QUOTE]
Most of those are probably headed BACK to Google. The shipments originated in Louisville KY... They are probably undeliverable addresses, or refused (i.e. mom didn't know junior signed up for a new laptop, and denied it).
[quote name='shadylane']Shipped means that it arrived? I have ETA but some of them say N/A.

Also, what does exception mean? I have three of them say that.[/QUOTE]
Shipped is the date that they showed up in the UPS database as being shipped. Usually that is when the packages are actually handed off to UPS, but in some cases that can also be when the shipping data is uploaded to UPS by the shippers computer system, and the packages may or may not actually be at UPS.

The ETA is the estimated delivery time that UPS has designated for the package. They only set these estimates once they actually have the packages in their system. The packages in the tracker that don't have ETA yet (i.e. all of the packages from this afternoon show n/a for now) is because the shipping data was submitted by the shipper, but UPS does not have the packages, yet. Once they actually get the physical packages into their system, they update the ETA in their database, and eventually, the tracker will get that missing info, too.

Exceptions are the way that UPS lets you know that the package is not going to be delivered normally by the original ETA. It can be caused by weather delays, equipment failures, undeliverable address, driver didn't feel comfortable leaving the package on the doorstep in a shady neighborhood, government intercepting the package, etc. The actual tracking page for that package (if you had the tracking number) goes into more detail as to why the package status was changed to 'exception' instead of a normal delivery.

So far nothing here yet. I signed up Tuesday night using the basic survey link from Chrome's tab page in the dev build.

It will update next time something changes... The packages that were 'uploaded' earlier this afternoon haven't actually shipped yet (they are still just 'Billing Info Received' and no ETA, etc). I have a hunch they will show up sometime after midnight like the packages that were shipped 11/09 and 11/10.

holy fuck.
I am all kinds of stoked.
I live in a pretty rural area and there has been 1 shipped to where I live.
So, I REALLY hope it's mine.
Thanks CAG and I hope you other guys get one too.

Is it possible to sign up for this more than once because id like to give a better reason for wanting one than because I'm a college student and am familiar with Google products and very knowledgeable with computers cause that might sound bad....idk maybe its just me but here us hoping I get one cause id actually help them test it.

6 here to Fort Wayne. 1 already delivered, 3 over with ETA 12/10. 2 left ETA n/a ground delivery. Fingers crossed!

And I did the CH-Ching clicky click too :)

Only one showing up for my area is one that was says it was delivered on the 9th. :(

The snow storms here would probably delay any shipping today if there was one anyway.

[quote name='superheropc']got one in my small little texas town. Seems pretty nice so far. Flash videos are not all that great but html5 ones run well.[/QUOTE]

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! Someone finally got one, when did you sign up for the program if you don't mind sharing. :)

Signed up like two days before the 9th and mine was delivered on the 9th. Was a complete surprise for me. no email saying they picked me. it just showed up.

The built in 3g wireless is nice. You get 100MB per month download plan for 24 months. Which is not a whole lot but they also have a unlimited day pass you can pay 9.99 to get and that would be great for traveling.

[quote name='superheropc']Signed up like two days before the 9th and mine was delivered on the 9th. Was a complete surprise for me. no email saying they picked me. it just showed up.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully I get to experience the same thing! :)

[quote name='superheropc']The built in 3g wireless is nice. You get 100MB per month download plan for 24 months. Which is not a whole lot but they also have a unlimited day pass you can pay 9.99 to get and that would be great for traveling.[/QUOTE]

I guess that isn't bad as long as you don't watch youtube videos or anything of that sort on-the-go.

Dam I would love to win one of these... of course everyone else as well

Yea it is really nice in my opinion. It is still just a test machine and a few things take figuring out but it runs great and I really have not had any doing anything on the web.

Wish netflix worked but it is on end because they do not support the chrome OS but I am sure that will get fixed soon.

[quote name='Xfactor19990']so tracker was updated some 19 hours ago, is that cuz google is not shipping over the weekend?[/QUOTE]
Correct. No new packages... And, although the shipping data for the third batch was submitted on Friday afternoon, the actual packages haven't been given to UPS yet (hence all the n/a in the ETA column for so many of the packages in the tracker).

[quote name='A Gamer']Correct. No new packages... And, although the shipping data for the third batch was submitted on Friday afternoon, the actual packages haven't been given to UPS yet (hence all the n/a in the ETA column for so many of the packages in the tracker).[/QUOTE]

Could that mean that the packages will only be in UPS's possession on Monday?

I'm no computer wiz, but I would love one of these for my family's entertainment room. Seems like the perfect thing for youtube videos, slight word processing and facebook, and kind of utter garbage for anything above and beyond that.

can't believe 2 are being sent to shakopee minnesota

pretty small town.

So anyway do we keep these things or do we just borrow them for a bit? how does this work?

Signed up as well

Must be nice to be able to afford to pay and ship 60,000 laptops just to promote your new OS. Kind of blows M$'s Kinect/BK campaign out of the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SlammedNiss']Must be nice to be able to afford to pay and ship 60,000 laptops just to promote your new OS. Kind of blows M$'s Kinect/BK campaign out of the water.[/QUOTE]

Not really. Lets assume every computer is costing google $100. That means this whole thing is costing them $6 million.

30 seconds for a super bowl ad costs $3 million. So for google, it was either have a minute long super bowl ad, or send out 60 thousand of these, and then not only get good buzz from it, but also from these 60,000, people are bound to have friends, and then show friends the computer they got for free from google.

It's a much more direct approach to advertising, and they also get feedback as to why their OS sucks.

Wow, I just realized that when I originally submitted it, it never went to any confirmation page, and I heard that if you went over the 140 character limit, it wouldn't process and send you back to the front page. I remember it sending me back to the front page, so I just filled out another form, and got a confirmation this time, hopefully I still get one... *fingers crossed*

[quote name='help1']Not really. Lets assume every computer is costing google $100. That means this whole thing is costing them $6 million.

30 seconds for a super bowl ad costs $3 million. So for google, it was either have a minute long super bowl ad, or send out 60 thousand of these, and then not only get good buzz from it, but also from these 60,000, people are bound to have friends, and then show friends the computer they got for free from google.

It's a much more direct approach to advertising, and they also get feedback as to why their OS sucks.[/QUOTE]
Not really what? I was comparing M$'s measly 2,688 Kinect bundles to Google's 60,000 netbooks.

[quote name='A Gamer']Feel free to spread it around... Post it to forums beyond my reach... The more the merrier. ;)

Course, if you can encourage people to support it, then I would be most grateful to you... :applause:[/QUOTE]
Just bought some toys at Amazon thru your ad. Also posted it over at FW;)

I live near Indianapolis, Indiana, but I really live in Greenfield. Now would it show as being shipped to Greenfield or Indianapolis since that is the major city.

bread's done
Back