Test Drive a Chrome Notebook

[quote name='curtst']Anyone else having sound problems? When watching videos, lets say on youtube I get an an annoying high pitched garble sound. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens the majority of the time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, happens to me too. I guess it's a bug in the new build

[quote name='gage006']Ugh I wish Google would just sell it. I want one real bad :([/QUOTE]
Google has no plans to sell the hardware. They will, however, be providing the OS to notebook manufacturers. So, expect to see notebooks from the traditional notebook manufacturers (Acer, Samsung, Dell, etc.) running Chrome instead of the usual culprit.

Amazon already has a placeholder: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004EEOB8A

The Amazon page actually links back to the pilot program signup page... Doh!!!

[quote name='gage006']Ugh I wish Google would just sell it. I want one real bad :([/QUOTE]

You can always look on eBay. :( I know it sucks not to have one. Because I want one too!!:bomb:

[quote name='A Gamer']Google has no plans to sell the hardware. They will, however, be providing the OS to notebook manufacturers. So, expect to see notebooks from the traditional notebook manufacturers (Acer, Samsung, Dell, etc.) running Chrome instead of the usual culprit.

Amazon already has a placeholder: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004EEOB8A

The Amazon page actually links back to the pilot program signup page... Doh!!![/QUOTE]

I know that and that's why I'm saying this sucks.

All the normal manufacturers are going to make some awful looking device of it. I want the Google one specifically because it's so non-descript. I don't want logos and crazy colors all over it. None of the major PC manufacturers understand that.

[quote name='gage006']I know that and that's why I'm saying this sucks.

All the normal manufacturers are going to make some awful looking device of it. I want the Google one specifically because it's so non-descript. I don't want logos and crazy colors all over it. None of the major PC manufacturers understand that.[/QUOTE]

I really like it's style as well... very plain but nice subtle curves, rubberized surface, etc. On the other hand it has some problems... the screen has pretty awful viewing angles, the speakers are lackluster, the touchpad is questionable, only one USB port, no HDMI...

So I take it they are no longer sending more out? I would like one to play around with but with it just being the browser for the OS not really sure how well this will go over.

There was supposedly a twitter from someone at Google indicating that there would be more shipping out this month, and the months to come, but I haven't had any credible reports (as in verifiable tracking/reference numbers) of anything actually shipping, yet.

With A Gamer's tracker not working any longer, I can't tell if there actually been anymore sent out. How come the tracker is shut off?

[quote name='ImLuhkee']With A Gamer's tracker not working any longer, I can't tell if there actually been anymore sent out. How come the tracker is shut off?[/QUOTE]
Because Google hasn't been sending out any Cr-48s so there hasn't been any new tracking numbers to look in to.

Will the tracker kick back on though if more are sent out or is it not going to even try to look for them?

A Gamer can't do anything until people start receiving the units and pass along the reference numbers. Maybe it'll spring back to life soon.

Just wanted to say thank you OP for the heads-up. Just got mine today, and I signed up over a month ago...There's still hope for everybody :)

[quote name='Havocwrought']Just wanted to say thank you OP for the heads-up. Just got mine today, and I signed up over a month ago...There's still hope for everybody :)[/QUOTE]

And, after over a month of hopeless speculation, the thread lives again! Congrats man. :applause:

[quote name='Havocwrought']Just wanted to say thank you OP for the heads-up. Just got mine today, and I signed up over a month ago...There's still hope for everybody :)[/QUOTE]

Contact a gamer and give him tracking info so he can update the tracker

Sadly, I don't think I will have time to resurrect the tracker due to RL obligations...

However, from what I have been told, they shipped units via UPS Ground from Louisville KY on 1/25.

Thank you for the tracker from before at least! I am crossing my finger that I will get one this time, though now I will have to wait the old school way and just hope rather than check the tracker all the time haha.

Well here's hoping I guess. I signed up a while back and thought that my "Why I would be a good test user" comment section had some pretty good reasons, but nothing.
It would be nice to get one though, since I promised my wife a laptop for her birthday coming up and something like this would be perfect for her. She doesn't really need any of the things this notebook DOESN'T do, so I'll keep holding onto hope.

Also, congrats!

Well good luck to everyone hopefully some more of us can get one of these.

[quote name='A Gamer']Sadly, I don't think I will have time to resurrect the tracker due to RL obligations...

However, from what I have been told, they shipped units via UPS Ground from Louisville KY on 1/25.[/QUOTE]

How could you let real life obligations come before us!!!

On a more serious note: Thank you for the original tracker!

[quote name='COLDblood']signed up also... hope at least one CAG gets to test drive.[/QUOTE]

If you had gone back a few of us cags have already gotten google netbooks

side not

My cr 48 is having issues restarting itself some times not picking up my wifi no sound hopefully updates will fix these problems

Just now noticed that they were only going to take them till december 21st. Guess I won't get one seeing how I put in on the 18th of january. Oh well.

[quote name='sendme']Just now noticed that they were only going to take them till december 21st. Guess I won't get one seeing how I put in on the 18th of january. Oh well.[/QUOTE]
The pilot program was originally set to end on 12/21/2010... But, they later removed that date from the form. Actually, the form is still up for those that haven't applied yet (or wish to re-apply):

http://www.google.com/chromeos/pilot-program.html

It would appear that multiple submissions do not automatically disqualify you, as a recent Cr-48 recipient over at SD indicated that he had submitted the form several times (as a business, as an individual, etc).

Thank you everybody for the congratulations ;) I had no idea I would actually get one, so it was a pretty amazing surprise (I signed up December 15th). The UPS guy stopped, brought up the package, and said "have a good one", so I guess that means you still don't have to sign for them.

It was in a plain brown box with 3 UPS labels (big shipping label, little individual delivery label, and a weird one that has the date and time that it was prepared/shipped from them to UPS.) and weighs 6 lbs. It came from UPS-SCS, louisville, KY 40219.

Inside was another super awesome box (the one with the mouse/rat and jet engine diagram), the laptop, a couple of papers/pamphlets, and an awesome sticker sheet. The only problem I've had so far is the sound issue a lot of others are having, but then again, I only browsed the internet for about 2 hours earlier and just got back on to post this.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sendme']So does Google email you if you are to get one or does it just show up?[/QUOTE]
No notification whatsoever...

Recent shipping stats from the tracker...
  • 1/20: 563 packages via UPS Ground
  • 1/25: 2381 packages via UPS Ground
  • 1/26: 1200 packages via UPS Ground (but didn't ship till 1/27)
  • 1/27: 1200 packages via UPS Ground (but didn't ship till 1/28)

And, no, the tracker is not up and running... :cry:

However, the tracker web site will get updated in a little while with the recently shipped packages. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
nice. The tracker has one coming to my in-laws zipcode, where my wife signed up from. So maybe hers is coming? It says delivered, but no one is there. I told my wife to swing by after school to see if it's hers! Nothing to my zipcode though. But hell, if she gets one, I will make it mine, lol.

EDIT: Nevermind. I show it was delivered yesterday, not today. Which means it wasn't ours or someone stole it from my in-laws ghetto-ass neighborhood, dammit!

bread's done
Back