The 2008-2009 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a Warriors fan.....Pietrus ain't developin' into shit....

Props to the Lakers....

But p.s....biggest douche moment ever with Phil wearing that "X" hat.....was one of the WORST coaching jobs i've ever seen (Hey....let's leave Fisher to guard Brooks for a series)

You don't even need a Jameer Nelson, a Rashard Lewish, or a Turk. Just need a guard with some serious fire power and the Magic are good to go.

Didnt even watch it.

But congrats Lakers. Magic.....maybe next year. Dynasty...stop posting fucking pictures man.

[quote name='mooshie78']Yep, they're pretty well set. But like I've said a few times they need a wing player who can slash and create their own shot, and I think they need another player with a post game to complement Howard and make it hard to double him.

Maybe Pietrus or Lee can develop into the slasher. The power forward would have to come from trade, draft or free agency. Maybe Lewis could play more inside as he did with the Sonics, but he's so skinny he wasn't that affective unless he had a mismatch anyway.[/QUOTE]

We need someone who can go for the boards. Maybe we can sign and trade turkoglu for some type of true PF. Put Lewis back at the SF.

Pietrus is good enough to be the starter 2 guard. He averages over 44% FG over his career. As for slashing, Van Gundy's coaching is why he isn't. Here is a clip package back in Golden State. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T0adZayUEM . He is fully capable. He had a little moment last night on his drive/spin move on Pau Gasol.

Van Gundy needs to change the offense style. The 4 parameter shooters plus 1 big man routine never worked for Phoenix; obviously it isnt going to work for us.

[quote name='mooshie78']Yep, they're pretty well set. But like I've said a few times they need a wing player who can slash and create their own shot, and I think they need another player with a post game to complement Howard and make it hard to double him.

Maybe Pietrus or Lee can develop into the slasher. The power forward would have to come from trade, draft or free agency. Maybe Lewis could play more inside as he did with the Sonics, but he's so skinny he wasn't that affective unless he had a mismatch anyway.[/QUOTE]

I think Pietrus should be put into the starting lineup as that slasher. The guy is athletic as all get out, and he can do it. Lewis always struck me as a SF, so I would like to see him there, then the Magic can go after a decent PF who can grab boards and hit a few shots. If Turkoglu goes, that would free up some space. This summer Boozer and Rasheed Wallace will be the top prizes at the position, but bargains could be had in Varajao (even though I hate how he plays) or Drew Gooden (who is better than he's been allowed to be on the Bulls). If Lamar Odom takes off (Nooooooo!!!) he could be had, too.

[quote name='ph33r m3']
But p.s....biggest douche moment ever with Phil wearing that "X" hat.....was one of the WORST coaching jobs i've ever seen (Hey....let's leave Fisher to guard Brooks for a series)[/QUOTE]

Come on, his kids made it for him! :lol:

[quote name='lordopus99']We need someone who can go for the boards. Maybe we can sign and trade turkoglu for some type of true PF. Put Lewis back at the SF.

Pietrus is good enough to be the starter 2 guard. He averages over 44% FG over his career. As for slashing, Van Gundy's coaching is why he isn't. He is fully capable. He had a little moment last night on his drive/spin move on Pau Gasol.

Van Gundy needs to change the offense style. The 4 parameter shooters plus 1 big man routine never worked for Phoenix; obviously it isnt going to work for us.[/QUOTE]

And this is problem B, which is tied directly to having Tukoglu and playing Lewis at the PF. If they adjust the roster like I mentioned above, there's no reason to keep living and dying by the three. They'd be a more balanced team, and a real pain in the ass to stop, with a legitimate offense.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I think Pietrus should be put into the starting lineup as that slasher. The guy is athletic as all get out, and he can do it. Lewis always struck me as a SF, so I would like to see him there, then the Magic can go after a decent PF who can grab boards and hit a few shots. If Turkoglu goes, that would free up some space. This summer Boozer and Rasheed Wallace will be the top prizes at the position, but bargains could be had in Varajao (even though I hate how he plays) or Drew Gooden (who is better than he's been allowed to be on the Bulls). If Lamar Odom takes off (Nooooooo!!!) he could be had, too.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if we'd bring back Varajao or Gooden. Signing Artest would be phenomenal, though.

The problem with the magic is they just had way to many wtf? moments. They would go on a 2-1 fast break, going 100 mph down the court and then just throw it away. Oh and their defensive rebounding was embarrassing. If Howard doesnt get to it the other team does. And the turnovers. Alston and Nelson both think they are playing freaking street ball instead of making fundamental passes.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']
And this is problem B, which is tied directly to having Tukoglu and playing Lewis at the PF. If they adjust the roster like I mentioned above, there's no reason to keep living and dying by the three. They'd be a more balanced team, and a real pain in the ass to stop, with a legitimate offense.[/QUOTE]

Yep, like I said above, Turkoglu and Lewis are both really SF and it's just killer to any inside game having them both on the court all the time. Especially since Van Gundy seldon has Lewis post up like he did in Seattle.

A sign and trade with Turkglu for a PF who can rebound and provide some inside scoring to keep double teams off Howard would be huge.

[quote name='slickkill77']The problem with the magic is they just had way to many wtf? moments. They would go on a 2-1 fast break, going 100 mph down the court and then just throw it away. Oh and their defensive rebounding was embarrassing. If Howard doesnt get to it the other team does. And the turnovers. Alston and Nelson both think they are playing freaking street ball instead of making fundamental passes.[/QUOTE]

Yep, again need a power forward to help on the boards.

At PG, Alston has just always been that way. I've never been a fan.

Nelson, that was just rust from not playing since February. He should not have been brought back for this series. But he had settled down this year and was playing very well and seldom out of control before his injury.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Didnt even watch it.

But congrats Lakers. Magic.....maybe next year. Dynasty...stop posting fucking pictures man.[/QUOTE]

my bad man, just excitement and wanted to show the other viewers on this site that Lakers are Champions! :D

[quote name='mis0']So.. anyone excited for the draft? I think we may see another playoff team in LA next season. :p[/QUOTE]

That's all I'm excited about, being in LA and the only Clipper fan in the household. :whistle2:$

im actually a little excited over this summer session to see what trades and pick ups other teams might get.

Like Shaq possibly going to Cleveland Cavs to join Lebron

[quote name='Dynasty1756']im actually a little excited over this summer session to see what trades and pick ups other teams might get.

Like Yao possibly going to Cleveland Cavs to join Lebron[/QUOTE]
:eek:

[quote name='yukine']I'm going to miss Shaq.

And the Cavs are going to be scary next season.[/QUOTE]

For real. I mean, with Shaq sitting on the bench all the time, it'll be mayhem!

I can live with Shaq's contract for a year. At his age and price-tag that's all I'd want him for. Unfortunately trading away Sasha makes the back court even smaller.

The preseason schedule started off on Sunday, but it kicks
signature_singh.jpg
:)

Shaq really helps the Cavs against Howard. Unfortunately, they still have to get through the Celtics next year, and this move does nothing for them there.

They got him for nothing but it precludes them from making another move which might've helped them elsewhere. They need a PF who can spread the floor and guard people like Rashard Lewis, not sure they'll get someone who does both with just the MLE.

Horrible trade for the Cavs. They give up their two golden assets in Sasha and Ben's contracts and get a guy in Shaq who is closing in on 40 and -- looking at his stats since '05 -- not likely to have as good of a season as he did last year. Now they're low on assets to work with and still missing a few answers.

[quote name='Genocidal']Horrible trade for the Cavs. They give up their two golden assets in Sasha and Ben's contracts and get a guy in Shaq who is closing in on 40 and -- looking at his stats since '05 -- not likely to have as good of a season as he did last year. Now they're low on assets to work with and still missing a few answers.[/QUOTE]

It's a worthless trade. Shaq is constantly on the bench hurt... he should have just retired and became an analyst. Ben and Sasha also just rode the bench. In other words, bench warmers for bench warmers. Neither team got stronger.

Well the way I see it, Ben Wallace was done. The only thing he's ever been good for is defending and he couldn't do a thing against Howard. Shaq can score better than Wallace even at his age and hopefully slow down someone like Howard. Loosing both Pavlovic and Szczerbiak in one off-season makes their back court extremely small. But, Shaq's contract is expiring the same year that Wallace's was, so if he turns out to be a bust he's still a valuable trade asset. As long as they find some back court size I still think they'll be the favorites to win the east.

[quote name='lordopus99']Shaq is constantly on the bench hurt...[/QUOTE]

Shaq played 75 games last season, meaning he only missed 7. If that's being constantly on the bench, then I guess I don't know my basketball...

[quote name='lordopus99']It's a worthless trade. Shaq is constantly on the bench hurt... he should have just retired and became an analyst. Ben and Sasha also just rode the bench. In other words, bench warmers for bench warmers. Neither team got stronger.[/QUOTE]
Well if Shaq can stay healthy, which he was for most of last season, he will be huge for the Cavs.

But yeah, for the Suns side we dump some salary and get to keep the benches warm.

[quote name='dafoomie']Shaq really helps the Cavs against Howard. Unfortunately, they still have to get through the Celtics next year, and this move does nothing for them there.

[/QUOTE]

I don't see it helping the Cavs that much against Dwight Howard. They already had a big, slow center who couldn't keep up with Howard. Why would adding another help them?

Shaqs bigger and quicker than Ilgauskas. Howard won't get around him as easily, assuming Shaq is healthy and in shape.

He won't shut him down, but it makes the Cavs a tougher match up for the Magic.

Shaq's getting old yeah.. but you cannot disqualify a future hall of famer and one of the most dominant players in the history of the game. He still takes some of the better centers to school at his grandpa age. True story.

The Cavs are just temporarily fixing a deficiency in their team.. Shaq's not in it for the long run in my opinion. He's just there to keep King James happy for another season with hopefully, a better shot at the title.

Still, I don't think the Cavs have the best chance at the eastern conference next season. You still got contenders in the Celtics and Magic. KG comes back, and the championship team from 2 seasons is complete again. A healthy Jameer Nelson means trouble for anyone playing the Magic.

Like everyone already mentioned, the Cavs backcourt is smaller. They need a better slasher/scorer on the team.. or we're just going to see LeBron doing all the work again.

I have to agree with mis0, Cavs still have to deal with the Magic and the Celtics.

So now the Cavs have two old centers, could be a problem with long minutes.

But the spurs deserve some praise, dump 3 old players for Richard Jefferson. The guy can hit 3, grab boards, and defend. He will be a valuable asset.

[quote name='st0neface']I don't know if I like losing Courtney Lee in this Vince Carter trade that seems to be a done deal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't like trading away a promising young player like that either.

Carter would be a good pick up as they need a scorer/slasher on the perimeter as I've said many times.

But I'd rather throw Pietrus in their with Battie and Alston than Lee personally as Carter is a short term solution given his age.

I doubt they'd take JJ, Battie and Alston for Carter.

They want to dump salary for 2010 (Battie and Alston only have 1 year left on their contracts), but they probably want at least one player who can contribute/has promise. Pietrus and Lee fit those bill, while JJ doesn't.

But if they would, then yes that would be the ideal packages as they really wouldn't lose much. Battie doesn't play much (and the rumors have them getting Anderson who'll be a 6'10" 2nd year player), Alston wouldn't be happy as a reserve, and JJ has never been able to get minutes under Van Gundy.

Yeah, it's obvious why NJ went with Lee, but I'm still gonna miss the guy.

--------------------

What's going on with Blair? I can't find anything new about some kind of health concern and last I checked, his knees had been checked out as fine. I'd really like if we buy a pick and grab him.

Congratulations to fellow Sun Devils Jeff Pendergraph as well as James Harden for being the #3 pick overall.

OKC is just loaded with talent.

Lester Hudson ain't bad for the 3rd to last pick of the draft. First D1 player to get a quadruple double. Yeah, he's 24 and he played in a weak conference but he's got a lot of things going for him. Could be a role player down the road.

[quote name='mooshie78']Yeah, I don't like trading away a promising young player like that either.

Carter would be a good pick up as they need a scorer/slasher on the perimeter as I've said many times.

But I'd rather throw Pietrus in their with Battie and Alston than Lee personally as Carter is a short term solution given his age.[/QUOTE]

Forget Lee. I am glad we moved him while we had the chance. He couldn't hang during the playoffs i.e. when it counts. His defense is average. I would rather keep Pietrus who played pretty good defense and was an offense threat off the bench.

Carter gives us someone who knows how to play at that level. Someone who could pose a better defense/offense against Kobe, etc. He gives us a player at that position who can score at will and who can finish a game. Hopefully, Ryan Anderson pans out. It is good to add another big man to the rotation who is young.

It's official Turkuglo opts out of his contract. Good Riddance! Hope the Blazers pay him the max.

Now all we have to do is resign Gortat.

[quote name='shinryuu']Can't believe Blair dropped so far. Think of it this way: who do you think will truly have more success, Blair or Hansbrough? :roll:[/QUOTE]

Blair has bad knees, so it's really hard to say at this point.

I think Hansbrough will be a better pro than many expect. With his size, hustle and ability to hit the jumper he'll at least be a solid role player.

[quote name='lordopus99']Forget Lee. I am glad we moved him while we had the chance. He couldn't hang during the playoffs i.e. when it counts. His defense is average. I would rather keep Pietrus who played pretty good defense and was an offense threat off the bench.

Carter gives us someone who knows how to play at that level. Someone who could pose a better defense/offense against Kobe, etc. He gives us a player at that position who can score at will and who can finish a game. Hopefully, Ryan Anderson pans out. It is good to add another big man to the rotation who is young.

It's official Turkuglo opts out of his contract. Good Riddance! Hope the Blazers pay him the max.

Now all we have to do is resign Gortat.[/QUOTE]

That's being awfully hard on Lee. He was playing very well late in the year and in the playoffs before the fractured sinus. He just wasn't the same after that.

Carter should help a lot short term if he stays healthy and plays hard (rather than mailing it in and just being a jump shooter), but we'll be needing a 2 guard in a year or two as he gets older. So I'd have liked to keep Lee around.

As for Turkoglu, didn't the owner say they'd be willing to pay luxury tax to keep him? Him opting out doesn't mean he's gone. He wants to come back and the management wants him back. I think there's a good chance he'll be back.

But honestly the biggest key to sucess is that Howard HAS to finally develop some skill on the offensive end. He's got to get a consistent hookshot or turnaround working, and not just be a person that only dunks, makes layups and gets fouled. We need him as an inside scoring threat late in games, along with Carter and the 3 point shooters on the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back