The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Wanted to use the trade in credit I'm sitting on for a PS5 slim Spider-Man bundle. Can't find a single GameStop in 50 mile range that has one in stock. Every other store here has them (supermarkets and best buy) getting really annoyed with never being able to find anything at GameStop
Might as well just wait for PS5 Pro.

Thanks to OP who brought Cuphead to our attention! Finally got my copy CIB alongside Rise of a Ninja CIB, made the long drive worth it. Was planning to visit a store tmrw on my way to pick up a crateful of games, but it sold out within the hour I called. Get your copies ASAP guys, used or new!

If getting Cuphead brand new, make sure to Pro price match. GSAs may not be aware of the price drop as I've spoken to some today. Also, to the one CAGer asking about what other good deals there are...these are not new deals, but they are still good deals:

3.59 Ryse Son of Rome
3.59 Sunset Overdrive
4.49 Call of Duty Modern Warfare (XB1)
4.49 Cris Tales (XB1/PS4; free upgrades)
4.49 Destroy All Humans (XB1)
4.49 Doom (XB1)
4.49 Gears of War 4
4.49 Immortals Fenyx Rising (PS4; free PS5 upgrade)
4.49 Killzone Shadow Fall
4.49 Quantum Break
4.49 Prey (XB1; XSX fps boost, PS4 unoptimized)
4.49 Rare Replay
4.49 Rise of the Tomb Raider (XB1)
4.49 Scarlet Nexus (PS4; free PS5 upgrade)
4.49 Star Wars Squadron
4.49 The Evil Within 2 (XB1)
4.49 Uncharted 4 A Thief's End
6.29 Halo 5 Guardians
6.29 Mutant Year Zero Road to Eden (XB1)
6.29 Scarlet Nexus (PS5)
6.29 Tales of Arise (PS4; free PS5 upgrade)
6.29 World of Final Fantasy Maxima
7.19 Ary and the Secret of the Seasons (XB1)
7.19 Call of Duty WWII (XB1)
7.19 Cris Tales (PS5)
7.19 Immortals Fenyx Rising (XB1; free XSX upgrade)
7.19 Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (PS4)
7.19 Maneater (XB1; free XSX upgrade)
7.19 Marsupilami Hoobadventure (PS4; free PS5 upgrade)
7.19 Mutant Year Zero Road to Eden (PS4)
7.19 Ni no Kuni II Revenant Kingdom
7.19 Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight
7.19 Risen (PS4)
7.19 Shadows Awakening (XB1)
7.19 Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (PS4; free PS5 upgrade)

To use the $5 monthly is store, does the item have to be $5+ or can you buy something under $5 and get it free?

Got my B2G1 Switch order today. Two generic cases (Mario Wonder, XBC 2) one regular case (Hogwarts Legacy). Debating seeing if I can swap the cases locally.

If GameStop wants to be competitive selling physical games, they need to add 2 SKU for each game that releases from now on.
SKU 1 - game only
SKU 1C - game with case

Trade in value of SKUs ending in “C” will have at least $3 higher trade values to encourage trading in of cases.

Have “game only” and “game with case” options on the website that tie to the SKUs above.

Of course this should be done for all games but starting with new releases is the pilot.

If GameStop wants to be competitive selling physical games, they need to add 2 SKU for each game that releases from now on.
SKU 1 - game only
SKU 1C - game with case

Trade in value of SKUs ending in “C” will have at least $3 higher trade values to encourage trading in of cases.

Have “game only” and “game with case” options on the website that tie to the SKUs above.

Of course this should be done for all games but starting with new releases is the pilot.

Pretty sure they have tested this several times and stopped almost immediately. They can't even price things correctly between their site and store so this is beyond their means.

SKU 1 - game only
SKU 1C - game with case

I could see them charging less if the case/cover is missing, but not actually tracking it and still selling them all for the same price

That has all been done before. It failed and won't happen. The thing is the actual majority of customers don't care, only collectors which is a small part of their business. They want people to just buy it, play it, and sell it right back again.

That has all been done before. It failed and won't happen. The thing is the actual majority of customers don't care, only collectors which is a small part of their business. They want people to just buy it, play it, and sell it right back again.
Yeah the problem is that digital is taking over and the collectors will represent a larger percentage of physical release buyers than before.

I’m guilty of this. When I trade games in to GameStop bc the trade in value is high, and I plan to buy the game back later during a b2g1, I keep the cases so I don’t have to deal with getting a loose cart and having to find the case
I guess that's worth the time and effort. Or like how some ebay sellers sell the disc/cart separate from the box/manuals. That's fun.

Saying that you wish people would take care of their cases is like telling kids to take care of their toys.....when I go to collector shows I see so many toys I had growing up going for hundreds of dollars....but guess what? I played with those toys instead of storing them in a closet. Sure the money would be nice now, but the memories are golden.

Besides with most games you can buy a blank case and find the cover art online and print it, not like any have manuals now

Saying that you wish people would take care of their cases is like telling kids to take care of their toys.....when I go to collector shows I see so many toys I had growing up going for hundreds of dollars....but guess what? I played with those toys instead of storing them in a closet. Sure the money would be nice now, but the memories are golden.

Besides with most games you can buy a blank case and find the cover art online and print it, not like any have manuals now
It's the ability to take care of things, and I think adults should be capable of that. Obviously, that's far from the case. If all adults were more responsible or logical, the state of the world would be much better.

But then again, when I was a kid, I played with my toys and was able to not destroy them. Cleary other people are not as capable.

It's amazing how many people with 'used' loose toys think they are valuable.

That's why I'm mostly a new-in-box collector when it comes to toys. I like the way they look on a retail peg. If you want to open one and play with them, sure go ahead, that's what toys are made for. But I keep the packaging and keep the boxes when it comes to most things I collect. Bc allll the money is in having the item new or with it's packaging. Most items lose like -60% to -80% of their aftermarket value without their newness.

I just sold a warped box (JUST THE BOX) of SNES Super Metroid for a few hundred dollars last month. It was literally sitting in the basement in a pile of dust and debris, and I cleaned it up. I did not have that type of foresight as a child that I do now. People will always argue with it, people don't get it.

Case and "complete" is everything. If I was starting a vg company right now I would focus on making full-color instruction booklets and fold-out maps / hints. Collectors love that stuff. It's also a contributing factor why people are no longer willing to spend on physical games anymore.

I just sold a warped box (JUST THE BOX) of SNES Super Metroid for a few hundred dollars last month. It was literally sitting in the basement in a pile of dust and debris, and I cleaned it up. I did not have that type of foresight as a child that I do now. People will always argue with it, people don't get it.
This reminds me that I need to start selling a lot of my crap.

It's the ability to take care of things, and I think adults should be capable of that. Obviously, that's far from the case. If all adults were more responsible or logical, the state of the world would be much better.

But then again, when I was a kid, I played with my toys and was able to not destroy them. Cleary other people are not as capable.
I think most adults are capable of caring for stuff, but a lot of things take precedent in life over the care of less important things. (i.e. a game is more useful than the original container it came in)

Things get lost and damaged in life, and when it comes to games, the case is the first thing discarded 🤷‍♂️

I think most adults are capable of caring for stuff, but a lot of things take precedent in life over the care of less important things. (i.e. a game is more useful than the original container it came in)

Things get lost and damaged in life, and when it comes to games, the case is the first thing discarded 🤷‍♂️
people will take the games and put them in a binder and toss the cases

Did we ever confirm what potential deals we were going to see for Alone in the Dark and Lords of the Fallen tomorrow? I am definitely interested in a $10 Lords of the Fallen Deluxe, but don't want to stay up late if it's $50 off the CE or some other twisted GS logic

Please. At the end of the day all it comes down to is simply people are careless.

Did we ever confirm what potential deals we were going to see for Alone in the Dark and Lords of the Fallen tomorrow? I am definitely interested in a $10 Lords of the Fallen Deluxe, but don't want to stay up late if it's $50 off the CE or some other twisted GS logic

All the ad says is $50 off and $30 off. We won't know until they go, assuming they are even set-up. The 5% off currency has been very hit or miss.

If only GameStop gave a monetary incentive to not chuck the case, more people would keep them.

Most retro game stores value their titles based on complete condition. GameStop will give you whatever market value for loose stuff.

Just another reason they're not where people are going with used stuff (except us lot taking advantage of trade bonuses).

Got my B2G1 Switch order today. Two generic cases (Mario Wonder, XBC 2) one regular case (Hogwarts Legacy). Debating seeing if I can swap the cases locally.
Good freaking luck finding a case for Xenoblade chronicles 2. That's like seeing a super moon at night.n
UAE and NTSC cases are essentially the same.

UAE case? Oh my gross. Way to ruin the collection 😁
Honestly prefer to see the beautiful sunset/rise across Hyrule Field than Link and Epony being hieroglyphed.

Last edited:
The CE is nigh impossible to find available in-store, so you can chuck that idea of getting one out the window. $10 for the DE sounds too good to be true, but if so then great!

I just wish the rest of the consumers would care enough not to get rid of original cases and manuals.
I mean ideally it would be nice, but it's not even in the top ten of things I wish people would care about. The situation sucks, but if I want the original case that badly, I'll just buy the game new (not Gamestop "new"). Problem solved.

If you received games without cover art. Call your local GS likely they have extra laying around the cashier station. Didn't hard to give your local GS a call :)

Cuphead was up to $18.99 used yesterday, already.

Xbox One 1TB trade value went back up to $60 base, it was dropped down to $50 or $55 first day of pro week. Hope they'll take mine, controller doesn't have the headset jack.

bread's done
Back