The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
No. That 50% boost was probably the best trade in period in the last couple years. Mainly since things didn’t get nerfed as they usually do when a promo comes along.
I was surprised, I traded quite a few items during the whole week and the prices held the whole week.

Most stores had Showtime surprisingly. Was able to grab Wonder and planning to exchange Odyssey for an Octopath Traveler if I find one with a case.

No. That 50% boost was probably the best trade in period in the last couple years. Mainly since things didn’t get nerfed as they usually do when a promo comes along.
It really was one of the better ones, a few years back we saw 50% on consoles and hardware when PS5s were still being scalped, PS5s got $496, XSX $485 and Joy Cons were an insane $75. Joy Cons are less than $30 a pair and have never been that high since.

The extra 50% happened cause of a YouTuber I posted the video on here, dont know if you guys seen it

I should know this, but can Steam giftcards be purchased with GameStop giftcards? I have points from work that I can redeem for GS money, but I want to get No Rest For the Wicked on Steam this week.

Has anyone been able to make an order on GS.com? I keep getting "We were unable to complete your order due to a system decline." Pretty sure I'm just banned from making any online purchases

Has anyone been able to make an order on GS.com? I keep getting "We were unable to complete your order due to a system decline." Pretty sure I'm just banned from making any online purchases
This is not a cookies/cache issue? With their revenue dropping, they are not in a position to block any sales.

Got an email about the GS credit card. If they really wanted to entice people, they would offer free shipping or at least lower the threshold to like $25 or something.

Got an email about the GS credit card. If they really wanted to entice people, they would offer free shipping or at least lower the threshold to like $25 or something.
And/or "discounted" Pro memberships, since they're clearly recycling legacy perks into these crummy excuses for revamped programs. As others have advised, it's best not to give GS or their associated bank your SSN.

I recently got into Switch so I decided to play the Gamestop lottery given they had the B2G1 sale online. It has been over a year since I ordered from them and now I remember why. I thought since I was buying carts I would have a decent chance of getting some complete games. Literally 95% of the games I ordered are cart only. Do people just keep the cases now when they trade in games? I know its gamestop but damn - atleast thought some would come with the case!

I recently got into Switch so I decided to play the Gamestop lottery given they had the B2G1 sale online. It has been over a year since I ordered from them and now I remember why. I thought since I was buying carts I would have a decent chance of getting some complete games. Literally 95% of the games I ordered are cart only. Do people just keep the cases now when they trade in games? I know its gamestop but damn - atleast thought some would come with the case!
On the contrary you’re probably much more likely to get CIB if you’re ordering disc games, not cart games. When I go to the store and look at switch pre owned games it’s like 50% generic cases

I keep forgetting about that. I wanted to get a V1 system back when I first got my Switch, but I could never find one for a decent price so I got an OLED instead. At this point I don't want to put my account at risk.

I would be careful about buying used Switch games at GS, because of the MIG.
Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea that was a thing. Feels like a PR nightmare if N banned someone immediately if a duplicate game was online at the same time as the legit cart. Your point is valid though - this may totally kill the switch second hand market :(

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea that was a thing. Feels like a PR nightmare if N banned someone immediately if a duplicate game was online at the same time as the legit cart. Your point is valid though - this may totally kill the switch second hand market :(
No problem! Redditors have been talking about their shipments about 20 days ago, so their devices should be rolling out around this time. If it's any consolation, as long as you don't use Nintendo online or just don't care about subscribing, then it's fine to play with migged carts. Unsure if playing on offline mode would help, but yeah...miggers are definitely gonna kill the 2nd hand market. I think Switch 2 will be adversely affected too if carts become backwards compatible or if the next generation can also get miggied.

Last edited:
I would be careful about buying used Switch games at GS, because of the MIG.
Are there already counterfeit games in the wild? Any way to tell if games are legit or not? Man what a bummer if true, thought I had scored some good deals on more out of print switch games...

Are there already counterfeit games in the wild? Any way to tell if games are legit or not? Man what a bummer if true, thought I had scored some good deals on more out of print switch games...

The problem is each game cart has a unique ID, the MIG is able to clone that ID. If that ID gets blacklisted, you would no longer be able to play online or worse a switch banned for using what they deemed a pirated copy.

So when buying used, there's a possible chance a previous owner have already cloned that cart's ID.

the dumper for the mig switch is not out yet, the risk is really low at this point, yes folks can dump with a modded console, but then why even have the mig, the only rumored ban was someone using games with mismatched certificates they downloaded online. Not sure Nintendo has a solution for the mig yet but no evidence at this time buying used games is any risk.

My first order came in yesterday.

Mario Wonder cart only
Mario Wonder cart only
Princess Peach Showtime complete

I'm happy with this, though. The one I wanted most was complete. I'm getting a few other games like Little Witch Nobeta, Infinite Wealth and Persona 3 Reload that I REALLY WANT complete.

Great deals to use my credit!

Got the GS email yesterday and now they are selling movies, are they picking up BB leftovers? Do they trade?

they started since last christmas. Some BB leftovers go to gamestop, but mostly to Walmart (they have monopoly on NEW steelbooks now in the USA). And no, they do not accept trades; that goes to FYE.

My first order came in yesterday.

Mario Wonder cart only
Mario Wonder cart only
Princess Peach Showtime complete

I'm happy with this, though. The one I wanted most was complete. I'm getting a few other games like Little Witch Nobeta, Infinite Wealth and Persona 3 Reload that I REALLY WANT complete.

Great deals to use my credit!

just cross your fingers that those games come with their cases

Visited my local store, got:

Arsalan The Warriors of Legend (XB1)
Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice (XB1)
Tearaway Unfolded (PS4)

Used the $5 monthly to drop Hellblade down to the same price as the other two. Everything came out to about $9/game, pretty sweet.

bought granblue fantasy relink as one of my buy 2 get 1 free games and they sent me the deluxe edition with unredeemed day one dlc and deluxe edition dlc. also all the extra stuff still in plastic. not sure if it was converted to preowned (the preowned sticker is on the game case) or if someone traded all this in.

bought granblue fantasy relink as one of my buy 2 get 1 free games and they sent me the deluxe edition with unredeemed day one dlc and deluxe edition dlc. also all the extra stuff still in plastic. not sure if it was converted to preowned (the preowned sticker is on the game case) or if someone traded all this in.
Debating granblue, what else did you get with it?

Debating granblue, what else did you get with it?
I got mario wonder and DQM the dark prince (both in generic cases). i thought about princess peach as a gift but my kids don't game much anymore. I wanted the ultimate edition of cyberpunk 2077 on ps5 but phantom liberty is just a code. i was on the fence about it with granblue being on sale for $50 pretty much everywhere but now im glad i bought it.

I got mario wonder and DQM the dark prince (both in generic cases). i thought about princess peach as a gift but my kids don't game much anymore. I wanted the ultimate edition of cyberpunk 2077 on ps5 but phantom liberty is just a code. i was on the fence about it with granblue being on sale for $50 pretty much everywhere but now im glad i bought it.
Might do the same, was looking at granblue and dragon quest monsters but couldn't think of a third I needed. Maybe I'll do Mario wonder and trade it in

Super Mario Wonder is WONDERFUL!! I am glad I have it digitally. Ended up paying $40 for it after the Costco deal. I might be able to find 3 games I would want but I just can't keep spending money on games that will just sit there for years. Need to get through all the games I've already bought years ago. Some are still unopened.

Super Mario Wonder is WONDERFUL!! I am glad I have it digitally. Ended up paying $40 for it after the Costco deal. I might be able to find 3 games I would want but I just can't keep spending money on games that will just sit there for years. Need to get through all the games I've already bought years ago. Some are still unopened.
So true! I still have sealed games from many Black Fridays ago 😅

what costco deal?

bread's done
Back