The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
I heard nothing but negativity towards gamestop but I was hearing nothing but good things about gamefly. Gamestop usually come with bad conditions while gamefly usually comes with good condition cases.
I honestly haven't heard anything about Gamefly, good or bad, not since the late 2000s lol. I'm quite surprised they've been around this whole time.

GameFly, easily. Their games come looking and feeling like it was just the plastic ripped off of it and sent to you. Meanwhile, GameStop you’re lucky if you get a case and a disc that works. GameFly’s prices are rarely higher than GameStop. I think the longest I’ve had to wait from order to receiving a game with GameFly is a week maybe, meanwhile GameStop’s scattershot approach to having stores themselves fulfill your order ends up meaning you might see your order take at least 2-3 days to be marked “ready for shipping” but then not even start moving for 2-3 days after that. It’s a mess.

Literally the only thing GameStop is better at is selection. GameFly typically only has 30-50 titles available across all platforms for used copies and more niche titles are even more rare to find used.

I honestly haven't heard anything about Gamefly, good or bad, not since the late 2000s lol. I'm quite surprised they've been around this whole time.

Gamefly is under new ownership as of a few years ago. They were pretty great before but they’re even better now imo. Excellent customer service, you get tons of coupons to buy stuff from them just for being a member (I get most of my controllers and accessories from them), and you can now gamelock games which basically works like preordering so you are guaranteed to get new releases as soon as they come out. Plus if you take advantage of their promotions around Fathers Day and Christmas, you can get a free month when subscribing for 6 months. This stacks twice so you can get 14 months for the price of a yearly 2-game plan, which comes out to about $15 per month iirc. Hell of a deal and it’s be far the cheapest way to play new releases.

Unlike Gamestop, Gamefly is privately owned which I think is where the difference is. Publicly traded companies only care about shareholders and don’t give a damn about their customers.

I currently have an Xbox One X which has been collecting dust since my Game Pass expired this month two years ago. Unless you're subbed to the Microsoft streaming service, and/or unless you're the type who likes to collect physical games, I see little to no benefit in holding onto the the SS and SX (btw, why do you even have two Series...?) especially when PS5 Pro is right around the corner and MS has no plans for a true mid-gen refresh.

I have both an X and S. My series S just stays in Dev mode and I use it as the emulator machine. That’s my use. It’s annoying going back and fourth to dev mode

anyone knows if gamestop takes in ps5s with a bad power supply ?
Might not hurt to try, I’ve traded in consoles with bad power supply’s and hdmi in 2023, I’ve only done Nintendo Switch that did not power on in 2024, so maybe something changed for PS5 consoles but it’s just been a refurbishment fee in the past, make sure you have the stand and screw if it’s the original model as they require everything.

I currently have an Xbox One X which has been collecting dust since my Game Pass expired this month two years ago. Unless you're subbed to the Microsoft streaming service, and/or unless you're the type who likes to collect physical games, I see little to no benefit in holding onto the the SS and SX (btw, why do you even have two Series...?) especially when PS5 Pro is right around the corner and MS has no plans for a true mid-gen refresh.
I regret not keeping an xbox one for the kinect compatability. I actually own 2 SX and 1 SS. I bought the SS as it was on sale for cheap and it was portable. I then got a second SX cause the SS couldn't play discs lol

I regret not keeping an xbox one for the kinect compatability. I actually own 2 SX and 1 SS. I bought the SS as it was on sale for cheap and it was portable. I then got a second SX cause the SS couldn't play discs lol
The only thing Kinect was good for (and still is) is capturing the paranormal on camera lol.

The workout games were actually pretty legit. I have an og xbox I use to mess around with some Tof them still.
Any specific ones you can recommend? I remember there was an Xbox Fitness app that had famous trainers like Jillian Michaels and the P90x guy. But what can you do in workout games that you can't with videos?

Any specific ones you can recommend? I remember there was an Xbox Fitness app that had famous trainers like Jillian Michaels and the P90x guy. But what can you do in workout games that you can't with videos?
I wish the Xbox fitness app still worked, that thing was amazing. The one I still use is shape up, the servers aren’t up anymore. The only thing it stops you from using is the workout app, training classes they used to have and sharing challenges with friends. It’s just fun to have interactive things from time to time.

Jeff Cavaliere had an Xbox game??? Would’ve loved to try that, the guy knows his stuff.

Not Xbox, but Ring Fit Adventure is the best fitness game ever made. Genuinely a fun, lengthy rpg while also being a solid workout. Add some ankle and wrist weights at the highest difficulty setting and you’ll experience training that would wear out even the most elite athletes. I don’t play it that much anymore because I built myself a garage gym, but every now and then on rest days I fire it up again. I am on my 3rd playthrough and each one gets more difficult.

Tbh put on ankle and wrist weights while playing any motion controlled game and you’ve got yourself a nice little workout. Although can’t beat traditional weightlifting imo.

GameFly, easily. Their games come looking and feeling like it was just the plastic ripped off of it and sent to you. Meanwhile, GameStop you’re lucky if you get a case and a disc that works. GameFly’s prices are rarely higher than GameStop. I think the longest I’ve had to wait from order to receiving a game with GameFly is a week maybe, meanwhile GameStop’s scattershot approach to having stores themselves fulfill your order ends up meaning you might see your order take at least 2-3 days to be marked “ready for shipping” but then not even start moving for 2-3 days after that. It’s a mess.

Literally the only thing GameStop is better at is selection. GameFly typically only has 30-50 titles available across all platforms for used copies and more niche titles are even more rare to find used.

Ha, as if GameStop is much better in that regard. It's all an illusion. There's listings for games, but doesn't matter if the game is out of stock. Even if it is in stock with their ridiculous shipping prices you may be better buying the game elsewhere.

Do we still get the physical magazine or do I need to subscribe on the new GI website? I continued to renew just to get the magazine; I can not seem to find any conformation if I still have it or not. My pro is up in sept and my understanding was we kept getting it til we expired...

Can I cancel pro for a partial refund and then just subscribe directly?

They recently announced separate 20 dollar a year physical subscriptions to GI.

I'm not sure if they'll give you a refund for Pro.

When I renewed my pro membership last June, I did it to continue getting the physical magazine as long as I could.

However, around October, I stopped getting the magazine completely. After multiple emails with customer service, they realized the person that did my renewal at the actual store didn't add another year of magazines onto my account...so they did, in January, so now my pro expires in July and my subscription expires next January...no idea if I don't renew pro in June what will happen to my physical magazines, even though they're supposed to come until January...if the magazine is still around by then.

Just a mess.

Ha, as if GameStop is much better in that regard. It's all an illusion. There's listings for games, but doesn't matter if the game is out of stock. Even if it is in stock with their ridiculous shipping prices you may be better buying the game elsewhere.
OfferUp and eBay are my go to. Unlike GS you can see exactly what you're buying, directly message sellers with questions or concerns, and with the latter you can always ask for combined reduced shipping. Sellers are more than willing to fulfill requests and accept offers if you buy more of their stuff.

Do we still get the physical magazine or do I need to subscribe on the new GI website? I continued to renew just to get the magazine; I can not seem to find any conformation if I still have it or not. My pro is up in sept and my understanding was we kept getting it til we expired...

Can I cancel pro for a partial refund and then just subscribe directly?
There is no such thing as partial refunds when it comes to GS or Pro. What you can do is issue a complaint with customer service, and if you're lucky they might offer you online vouchers for the trouble. You can also file a chargeback for services unrendered, but then you risk GS compromising your account.

*Update* So looks like I was wrong then as Gamestop does take in broken PS5s even ones that don't boot up(No Power). Its $130 deduction so $220 isn't too terrible

They recently announced separate 20 dollar a year physical subscriptions to GI.

I'm not sure if they'll give you a refund for Pro.

When I renewed my pro membership last June, I did it to continue getting the physical magazine as long as I could.

However, around October, I stopped getting the magazine completely. After multiple emails with customer service, they realized the person that did my renewal at the actual store didn't add another year of magazines onto my account...so they did, in January, so now my pro expires in July and my subscription expires next January...no idea if I don't renew pro in June what will happen to my physical magazines, even though they're supposed to come until January...if the magazine is still around by then.

Just a mess.
When I tried adding a physical subscription to my last renewal they completely nuked the account and its points instead, said it was a known system glitch. That took forever to get a new account sorted.

Wow yea that’s a high refurb fee but it’s definitely better than just recycling, I’ll have to start tracking all the refurb fees I know the switch is currently $50 off trade in.
True considering it could have been way lower but with the issues it had after replacing the main PSU,not worth diving back into.

Don’t know if this has been mentioned before. But the $5 monthly now applies online with a B2g1. Grabbed Deadpool(X1), crisis core (Ps5) and Red dead (Ps4) and it applied

Don’t know if this has been mentioned before. But the $5 monthly now applies online with a B2g1. Grabbed Deadpool(X1), crisis core (Ps5) and Red dead (Ps4) and it applied
In my experience it has always worked on b2g1 when at least the 3rd game is ~$5 less than the other two as it will bring down one of the higher prices games that isn't free. When it applies to 3 games all the same price it brings down one of the games and then that game becomes the free game.

In my experience it has always worked on b2g1 when at least the 3rd game is ~$5 less than the other two as it will bring down one of the higher prices games that isn't free. When it applies to 3 games all the same price it brings down one of the games and then that game becomes the free game.
Oh maybe then I just assumed it didn’t work because it didn’t bring down my total cost with 3 games priced the same. Disregard then lol

bread's done
Back