The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
I used it to buy preowned super mario rpg remake switch and advance wars 1 and 2 remake switch in store. The people traded them in did not redeem the golden coins I did a happy dance.
GameFly has been selling used copies for Super Mario RPG for 34.99 + 2.98 shipping so even with $5 off the GameStop preowned price is too much.

If you're a lapsed PUR subscriber like me, you can get the PS5 version of COD MW III for $35 with one year sign up then trade the game back in for $48 with the current 50% promo. So you're essentially paying $60-$65 (after tax) for the account + game and getting $48 back after trade making the net cost of the PUR account $12-$17. If you trade in enough, that eventually pays itself off.

Last edited:
I've been super busy lately and missed the entire recent +50% trade promos. Looks like some values have held....is it still active as of today 4/3?

I'm seeing switch titles Mario Kart, Paleo Pines, Persona 5 Royal as good value flips still if website is right on values.

My Pro is expiring in May and I noticed I have a $5 coupon off a Pro renewal coupon on my account. don’t know if I’ll renew at $20. Got time to think about it.
Whenever I didn't plan to buy anything that month, I would use my $5 coupon to get one of their little mystery figures. I pulled a Goku and an Anya Forger.
Yeah my younger kid loves those things. Yet to get Anya. Got Anya’s plush and the old teacher guy. At least we didn’t pull another Loid - we keep getting cursed with those, lol.

How many copies of a game can you trade? if I stagger it a day each time, can I do a third copy of Five Nights at Freddys?

Did one from my personal collection I never played (got for $20 months ago) couple days ago, grabbed another yesterday at Walmart and dumped it at GS immediately, kinda wanna do a third since there's one copy left on the shelves I think...

How many copies of a game can you trade? if I stagger it a day each time, can I do a third copy of Five Nights at Freddys?

Did one from my personal collection I never played (got for $20 months ago) couple days ago, grabbed another yesterday at Walmart and dumped it at GS immediately, kinda wanna do a third since there's one copy left on the shelves I think...
4 of the same game in a rolling 30 days

I've been super busy lately and missed the entire recent +50% trade promos. Looks like some values have held....is it still active as of today 4/3?

I'm seeing switch titles Mario Kart, Paleo Pines, Persona 5 Royal as good value flips still if website is right on values.
I made a trade yesterday and got it, employee said it was extended to 4/6.

If you're a lapsed PUR subscriber like me, you can get the PS5 version of COD MW III for $35 with one year sign up then trade the game back in for $48 with the current 50% promo. So you're essentially paying $60-$65 (after tax) for the account + game and getting $48 back after trade making the net cost of the PUR account $12-$17. If you trade in enough, that eventually pays itself off.
I'm assuming this doesn't apply for current members?

Am I missing something? All these games would be losses as flips.

Metroid prime remaster is a good candidate for a flip if you have a $5 reward to burn. 31 > 40

Paleo pines? Where?

For anyone looking to renew their pro, the $5 off renewal coupon cannot be used with the Call of Duty offer. I was able to use my $5 monthly coupon on Call of Duty though. Total was $25 for renewal + $30 for CoD ($57 with tax), so my membership will be a net $9 after the $48 trade in of CoD.

Damn. I was hoping to do that exact same thing. Wonder if it's worth holding off for a different offer. They recently started selling print subscriptions to Game Informer again that's not included with Pro membership. Maybe they will bundle them on occasion.

What do people mean by converting points? I used to have thousands from trading stuff in and then using the credit to buy games but the employ said only get points from using cash. Is this correct?

Ever since I stopped trading in my games and letting my physical collectoin grow I have found little reason to go to Gamestop. Now that the membership doesn't even include the magazine, I let that lapse too.

Majority of time I can find things cheaper elsewhere and no worries about condition.

Can anyone explain the draw of the membership now? (also unloaded all my points)

Ever since I stopped trading in my games and letting my physical collectoin grow I have found little reason to go to Gamestop. Now that the membership doesn't even include the magazine, I let that lapse too.

Majority of time I can find things cheaper elsewhere and no worries about condition.

Can anyone explain the draw of the membership now? (also unloaded all my points)
Rack up trade in credit during promotions like these and splurging on b2g1 sales or preorder bonuses.

That's about it really

I let my membership lapse in December and didn’t plan on renewing. I ended up with some things I wanted to trade in during the 50% promo and pro added $11 and I had the $5 off renewal coupon. A net of $9 made it worth it for another year.

Rack up trade in credit during promotions like these and splurging on b2g1 sales or preorder bonuses.

That's about it really
pretty much in the same boat. It’s harder to take advantage of these promos since flips pretty much no longer exist though. I used to trade in my switch games then buy them back in a b2g1 but they haven’t had sales much anymore either.

GameStop takes broken consoles and accessories, for wild values, a few eBay pages with auto refresh scripts, sit on items until trade bonuses arrive for consoles and accessories, or buy low enough to get a nice amount more in credit. This is something easy to utilize and really turn a profit if you sell the items or game currency purchased with the trade in credit.

GameStop takes broken consoles and accessories, for wild values, a few eBay pages with auto refresh scripts, sit on items until trade bonuses arrive for consoles and accessories, or buy low enough to get a nice amount more in credit. This is something easy to utilize and really turn a profit if you sell the items or game currency purchased with the trade in credit.
Maybe if GameStop was thriving, but I don’t have interest in stockpiling store credit or games to potentially turn into credit.

I’ll do the occasional store pickup at Best Buy that’s next to GameStop if the profit is $7 or more and that’s about all the effort I’m willing to put in.

Maybe if GameStop was thriving, but I don’t have interest in stockpiling store credit or games to potentially turn into credit.

I’ll do the occasional store pickup at Best Buy that’s next to GameStop if the profit is $7 or more and that’s about all the effort I’m willing to put in.
Understandable, I always dump the credit immediately, super easy way to generate some money for charity organizations as well with a low investment overall by selling the new items purchased with credit. But it takes time, I dedicate some time daily to browsing eBay and Mercari. I suppose it’s a hobby that I know will eventually end when GameStop ends.

Yeah I just finished off the last of my trade credit and really don’t feel like working toward getting any more.

In recent memory every time I go into GameStop to use my monthly, there is no one there. Even if it’s a release day. I sure as heck don’t want credit if that store closes and I’d have to go out of my way to use my credit (the one I go to is near an Aldi so I only go when I am buying groceries). And I sure as heck wouldn’t want to use trade credit on any online orders because they screw those up way too often and unlike with credit cards, you’d have no recourse.

Will GameStop buy a PS5 with a bad HDMI port?

I made quite a few phone calls about this issue. I was ultimately told that I could not trade in a non-working system, as to accept the PS5, they have to be able to turn on the unit. I did not try actually trading it in, so it may be possible. In the end, I bought an HDMI repair off of EBay, shipped the PS5 to that individual and actually received it back a couple weeks later, repaired. I just traded in that unit recently to Gamestop for the $425ish

Damn. I was hoping to do that exact same thing. Wonder if it's worth holding off for a different offer. They recently started selling print subscriptions to Game Informer again that's not included with Pro membership. Maybe they will bundle them on occasion.
They just sent out an email that you can subscribe to the print version for $19.91 for 10 issues which is a yearly sub or $34.99 for 2 years.

They should as officially GameStop accepts broken consoles, they take off the refurb fee, I’ve had a few cases where employees had to call their managers to figure it out. I’ve gotten to the point of just telling the employees don’t test just take off the refurb fee and most times I have no issue.

Very rarely you’ll get a console where nothing is wrong or it’s a simple reinstall of the software, that’s always a plus but not common.

They should as officially GameStop accepts broken consoles, they take off the refurb fee, I’ve had a few cases where employees had to call their managers to figure it out. I’ve gotten to the point of just telling the employees don’t test just take off the refurb fee and most times I have no issue.

Very rarely you’ll get a console where nothing is wrong or it’s a simple reinstall of the software, that’s always a plus but not common.
Was told if doesn't power on they can't take even despite previous gen being able to just fine

Was told if doesn't power on they can't take even despite previous gen being able to just fine
Strange, next time I have a PS5 that’s broken I’ll try, I know I did a switch last month that didn’t turn on, and haven’t had issues with current gen Xbox series or PS5s in the past, always possible it’s changed, and that would be a real bummer.

Strange, next time I have a PS5 that’s broken I’ll try, I know I did a switch last month that didn’t turn on, and haven’t had issues with current gen Xbox series or PS5s in the past, always possible it’s changed, and that would be a real bummer.
Wishing you luck but yeah they basically told me upfront as asked if could take with a faulty psu that doesn't turn on

Not sure if this is new, but I am able to use Trade Credit on digital games. It won't let me with digital currency but apparently games are okay. Still no $5 coupon though.

bread's done
Back