The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Only if you preorder or buy something in the same transaction. If you just do a trade-in, you'll get 20% extra as a Pro member.

I've seen some Discord reports of Modern Warfare 3 not triggering the extra 20%, so you might have to buy something else that isn't on sale for Pro Week.
Again, bad wording on the part of GS. When I read "Extra 20% Trade Credit" I interpret it as "on top of the 10% Extra Credit; thus, 30%." Like, which value exactly IS extra??? GameStop is just being extra extra!

Last edited:
I wished I read this sooner, after leaving the second gamestop I went to, the employee there told me there was a gamestop 45 mins away that had replacement battery covers for my controller, they were the only one in the district that had them in stock. So before I left, I went back home to factory reset the Xbox Series S, like the first gamestop told me to.

After resetting it, I drive over to the far-off gamestop. And fortunately, they did actually have the battery cover in stock, and I was able to purchase it for a $1. But after booting up my console, they asked me if I factory reset it, and I said yeah, and they say I shouldn't have done it, and should've just brought it in normally...Cuz like you mentioned they couldn't get to the dashboard because a bunch of updates were required and they didn't have good wifi so they couldn't do it themselves. Like how the fuck am I suppose to know that I had to load it up to the dashboard. And I told them another gamestop told me to factory reset it, and they were like too bad. And then they told me to take it back home and update it all the way before trading it back in... Just a total shitshow, making me go through all these hoops just for the honor of trading a system in.

And the cherry on top, I purchased COD MW3 ps5 from them for $20. The employee says I had some pro coupons on my account that I could use. I agreed to use them. She rings me up and and I briefly saw the total and saw it was under $20, so that was good. As I am walking to my car, I looked at my receipt (attached) and I noticed she added a warranty GPG on my order without telling me. The GPG was based on the original $69.99 too and not the $19.99, which was almost $4 which is essentially 20% of the cost of the game! Like why the fuck would I buy a warranty on a brand new game too, pisses me the fuck off they do BS practices like these. This isn't the first time they added warranty without telling me, in fact this is like the fourth time they done it, across multiple locations within a span of a year. Boy was I livid.

Sorry for the long story and why the hell did you read all of that :p
Contact your states office of consumer protection. They'll reach out to GS corporate for you. GS might even give you a gift card or a total refund so GS still looks good in the eyes of the state.

here is the most wanted trade list

no real details about how long it goes for this time though. the weird thing is the email says

Thanks for buying a game on our Most Wanted Games List. When you’re finished playing, bring that bad boy in and score 20% Extra Trade Credit.*

then it says pros get 10% on top of that, so i don't know if they increased the base value by 20% for the stealth bump or if they are talking about pro week bonus or if this is some other bonus?

Yeah, they have a refrigerator next to the counter. I don't normally do energy drinks (tried one once and didn't feel anything), but it's free so I decided to try it.

Also just learned that the guy who banned me is regional. Has 8 states. I will never trade at GS again as long as he’s in place and he does plan on being a lifer with the company. 😅 Game X Change it is 🥴

Also just learned that the guy who banned me is regional. Has 8 states. I will never trade at GS again as long as he’s in place and he does plan on being a lifer with the company. 😅 Game X Change it is 🥴
You can always have someone else in your social circle with a (can't believe I'm saying this) "clean record" to sub to Pro and trade-in on your behalf. Just make sure you don't lead them down the same path and get £u€ked over like you did.

So I go to game exchange. The total was $50 less than GS offered. I took it in credit, but the employee (in a hurry to close and I understand) gave me the credit amount in cash and a slip in which I thought was a receipt but was a credit voucher. Once I saw that I knew I could t keep it out of integrity so I took it back. Dude was very happy.

Yes I know GS was a better option but my relationship there is dead and I don’t need to revive it. Cheers to everyone trading and get paid my friends.

Just noticed some trade values on the MWT list are already nuked. Traded in earlier God of War Ragnarok ps4 and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury nsw and got $39 each after preordering Paper Mario.

Both games were showing $33 earlier w/pro. Now GoW is showing $18.70 and Super Mario 3D Bower’s Fury is $25.30 w/pro. Five nights at Freddy’s core collection for nsw also went down from $24.20 to $19.80.

Just noticed some trade values on the MWT list are already nuked. Traded in earlier God of War Ragnarok ps4 and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury nsw and got $39 each after preordering Paper Mario.

Both games were showing $33 earlier w/pro. Now GoW is showing $18.70 and Super Mario 3D Bower’s Fury is $25.30 w/pro. Five nights at Freddy’s core collection for nsw also went down from $24.20 to $19.80.
Stealth nuke?

Glad I traded both copies of GOW:R and gran turismo 7 ps4 today. Copped them from Walmart for $20 each 2 days ago.

Last edited:

I'm surprised they didn't drop Freddy sooner - it stayed at $24.20 even through the 50% promo. People must have not traded it in that much.

Had a very Gamestop moment today. I went in to trade and preorder some games. Their website is usually broken for me and the preorder book instore is outdated, so I asked them to print out a new preorder list like I have a dozen times before. GS employee said no, he knew how , he just wouldn't do it. I was confused as he wasn't busy, he just didn't feel like it I guess. Very weird interaction, I wasn't rude or pushy. I ended up just walking out.

30% boost is for any game preorders?
from the fine print on the website

Get 20% Extra Trade Credit when trading any game towards the purchase or pre-order of any new game: Applies to trade credit only, excludes cash trades. New game must be physical, no digital titles apply

Had a very Gamestop moment today. I went in to trade and preorder some games. Their website is usually broken for me and the preorder book instore is outdated, so I asked them to print out a new preorder list like I have a dozen times before. GS employee said no, he knew how , he just wouldn't do it. I was confused as he wasn't busy, he just didn't feel like it I guess. Very weird interaction, I wasn't rude or pushy. I ended up just walking out.
That’s why I haven’t been taking advantage of the trade in boosts going on recently . I don’t trust GameStop with to much credit

That’s why I haven’t been taking advantage of the trade in boosts going on recently . I don’t trust GameStop with to much credit
It completely depends on the employee. At the store i go to most often one guy is a bit clueless, but always willing to help out . Another girl I have to watch out for as she will outright lie to me to make a sale, or slip in a protection fee if I'm not paying attention. Always feels like a roll of the dice when I go to Gamestop now.

Double F. paid out of pocket for it part of B2G1 at launch lol

but I wanted to play multiplayer. Do I regret it? Little bit. Never touched the supposed horrid campaign and the MP is ok just a little burned out from these games.
Hear on that but just sucks it couldn't be sooner on the price drop

Traded in rise of the ronin, dragons dogma 2, elden ring, and prince of persia. Put $5 down on paper Mario and left with $177 in credit. No red bull though. Unfortunately my Mario wonder is in USPS pickup limbo for about a week now so wasn't able to trade that in. Hopefully it ships at some point

Any idea if trade bans are linked to accounts or IDS (in states that require IDs to trade)? Been banned for a while on account A. Have been using a mule(lol) to do trades on account B. Don’t want to go in to try to do a trade on B only to be turned down and account nuked.

Any idea if trade bans are linked to accounts or IDS (in states that require IDs to trade)? Been banned for a while on account A. Have been using a mule(lol) to do trades on account B. Don’t want to go in to try to do a trade on B only to be turned down and account nuked.
Both. You can be banned by account and you can also be banned by ID. If you are banned by ID, it usually a permanent ban.

went in and traded some stuff today, tried to give me a refurb fee on a ps5 controller that was literally brand new. i bought it a week before i ended up getting the edge controller and later a portal and just never used it. they also didn't tell me it was going to get a refurb fee, just added it quietly. it was a starlight blue, which i thought sony had improved something to reduce stick drift? I had to wait because they had sold a guy a bad controller with his "gamestop refurbished" console the day before. i think their tester is off a bit.

Both. You can be banned by account and you can also be banned by ID. If you are banned by ID, it usually a permanent ban.
I messsged GameStop support on Twitter(which is surprisingly a lot more helpful than any other customer support they offer) a few years ago and was told it was Permanent. Tried over a year later and was still banned. So guess I’ll just keep using my Mule

I messsged GameStop support on Twitter(which is surprisingly a lot more helpful than any other customer support they offer) a few years ago and was told it was Permanent. Tried over a year later and was still banned. So guess I’ll just keep using my Mule
How did you get banned?

How did you get banned?
I was pretty wreckless. Same day buying multiple copies of games and trading them in on the same account (but diff stores). Had multiple preorders for the same game on the same account at different stores. Employee commented on that once (didn’t know they could see that). Probably one of them flagged my account.

That's the kind of thing that led to the private thread. I'll always be thankful for blackbeard's sheets. Still have a few hundred of free money after gradually spending down a few thousand. It's probably not worth buying B2G1 games specifically for flipping, but there are still good deals to be had.

That's the kind of thing that led to the private thread. I'll always be thankful for blackbeard's sheets. Still have a few hundred of free money after gradually spending down a few thousand. It's probably not worth buying B2G1 games specifically for flipping, but there are still good deals to be had.
Hi, can I get invited to such a thread?

Ya. It was worth it. Probably also had a few thousand over that time. And there’s not many good flip opportunities anymore anyways, so I don’t trade much now (and don’t really want to spend cash to flip from elsewhere). On the rare good trade in deal I’ll just have someone else do it

So done with Pro Week. Other than Cuphead nothing stood out, cept maybe the Harley Quinn bat to incentivize breaking into their stores like the bad girl she is. Was led to believe that the Bowser shirt from the Mario movie was on B1G2F clearance, but nope! $16, tch smh.

went in and traded some stuff today, tried to give me a refurb fee on a ps5 controller that was literally brand new. i bought it a week before i ended up getting the edge controller and later a portal and just never used it. they also didn't tell me it was going to get a refurb fee, just added it quietly. it was a starlight blue, which i thought sony had improved something to reduce stick drift? I had to wait because they had sold a guy a bad controller with his "gamestop refurbished" console the day before. i think their tester is off a bit.
If you mean testers as in the employee, yes, I’ve watched them tell me controllers that were brand new have “drift”.

bread's done
Back