The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Ok, something weird is going on with Gamestop recently.

Over the past few weeks I've had to do a few returns. One was an in store purchase, the other was a shipment. Both items were purchased on sale.

When I returned them, in both cases the refund was for the price of the item at the time -- NOT the sale price I had paid. I pointed this out both times -- "Hey, you're refunding me $30, but I only paid $20 -- like it says on the receipt." Both times, the clerk seemed unconvinced and explained something like "but you used a coupon" and refunded me the full current value.

I'm currently ahead by about $50. I really tried to get them to only refund me what I actually paid, but that seemed... too hard for them?

I know they changed shipped receipts so the worker has to look them up (no longer printing prices on the shipping label), but did something weird change with in store returns?
They've done this for years. The POS isn't able to pull up the sales price for whatever reason because the POS and website run on two different wavelengths.

The easiest way to see that is asking an employee to do an online order for you. Like most stores, an online order system is integrated into the POS so you can do it as if you're checking someone in person without any difference.

GameStop's is so behind that there's no such thing as any integration. If you ask them to do an online order, they literally pull up the website on their computer and do it as if you the customer are doing it yourself.

The only thing the POS is able to bring up is the online order itself. The online order number will translate into a transaction order number and use its information as if it was a receipt from an in-store purchase, doing the bare minimum to retain any sales history or coupons used.

So many people abuse this system oversight to get more money than they spent because GameStop employees are not told to actually fix this and to just expedite the return. If you're dealing with a stickler, they have the option to override it.

But since online order slips either don't show any money spent on the order or will show the full value, employees will not be able to tell the difference unless you tell them. Price adjustments are a headache to do and genuinely takes more time to do than to just do the return as-is.

I found out about it accidentally over 10 years ago in high school when I returned a pre-owned game I had paid $9.99 for online and got back $29.99. Didnt even question it since I was 17 and didn't have a job.

I still have my employee discount active on GameStop's website from when I worked there for one day 3 years ago and whenever I do a return in-store for items I used my discount on, the items will go through as full value without issue.

GameStop is a sinking ship behind the times. You didn't need this novel of a post to realize that though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting on a 4K switch that gets games at the same time as PlayStation and Xbox, not a year later.
I don't see Nintendo releasing an updated NS anytime soon... the NS is basically using technology from 7-8 years ago and at this point, is likely making a shit ton of money on each console sold. And they're still selling like crazy from what I can tell.

Looks like "GameStop stores will have minimum four copies of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Collector's Edition for sale upon game release."

I wonder if that should say "maximum".

Did not get a chance to go yesterday as a massive storm hit and did not end til middle of the night... will try sometime this week

People waiting for a new Switch will likely be waiting until next year at the earliest. Like it's already been stated, the Switch is still selling incredibly well and has not had one price drop. It's pretty unheard of for a console to be out for 6 years with no official price drop. That's how much people love this thing. As much as gamers like us want a more powerful console, Nintendo really has no incentive to give us one as of now.

Didn't see this in the FAQ, but my Pro expires in a few days. I have around 11K points. If I let my membership lapse, do I lose all my points? Im fairly certain, I saw someone mention this earlier in the thread.

Didn't see this in the FAQ, but my Pro expires in a few days. I have around 11K points. If I let my membership lapse, do I lose all my points? Im fairly certain, I saw someone mention this earlier in the thread.
This is from an email someone got: The points expire after 3 months if you don’t have a pro account. If you have a pro account your points will be available for 12 months. These points cannot be reinstated.

Just call them and verify if you aren't going to renew.

I don't see Nintendo releasing an updated NS anytime soon... the NS is basically using technology from 7-8 years ago and at this point, is likely making a shit ton of money on each console sold. And they're still selling like crazy from what I can tell.
Yeah that’s the problem lol it’s been selling like hot cakes and I’m guessing steam deck as well. I don’t expect sales to drop either and even if they do, they still don’t need to make a new one which is a problem. As consumers we want the latest tech. If they’ve been working on it and trying to make it the best it can possibly be, u bet I can wait however long lol. Backlog is real

Already blew my May 2023 $5 in store on a Pokemon Shield + Expansion Pass that I found in the wild used for $49.99. Copied my code but it is not working on anything in cart. Hoping that it will clear up in the next few days but if not, not too much love lost. Once the double dip stopped working on currency, I struggle to find something relatively cheap to use the code on.

Already blew my May 2023 $5 in store on a Pokemon Shield + Expansion Pass that I found in the wild used for $49.99. Copied my code but it is not working on anything in cart. Hoping that it will clear up in the next few days but if not, not too much love lost. Once the double dip stopped working on currency, I struggle to find something relatively cheap to use the code on.
it wasnt working later in the month last month either i forget if i used them on something after. it might b nipped perm

What do I care when they come out? I'm a cheap ass gamer; I buy them when they're cheap. Hell, I didn't even get my Switch until 2021.
I still haven't bought a Switch. At this point, will just wait until the next iteration is announced. That will surely lead to price drops with existing hardware. Now that's CAG'ing it.

I still haven't bought a Switch. At this point, will just wait until the next iteration is announced. That will surely lead to price drops with existing hardware. Now that's CAG'ing it.
Might be a few more years with the current sales of the Switch console. I’ve seen multiple listings on FB Marketplace for cheap bundles, some where even the games bundled are worth more than the console.

Might be a few more years with the current sales of the Switch console. I’ve seen multiple listings on FB Marketplace for cheap bundles, some where even the games bundled are worth more than the console.
And that's fine with me. Only game on the Switch that I really want to play is Odyssey. As a Wii U owner, the Switch feels more like a port-fest of first-party titles for those who skipped the last Ninty console.

Just spoke to two employees I know and they not even sure they are gonna have the CE in stock on launch day. It gonna be a bloodbath next week

Does Gamestop (or BB/Walmart) release Nintendo games at 9pm on the west coast? Going to be in Seattle area the night Zelda launches and wondering if I could pick it up.

Does Gamestop (or BB/Walmart) release Nintendo games at 9pm on the west coast? Going to be in Seattle area the night Zelda launches and wondering if I could pick it up.
Typically GameStop does 9pm for only those who have pre ordered so you may have to get there earlier on the day to pre order. I would also confirm with that specific store that they are doing it as it tends to vary by store, but all should be doing it for Zelda I'd imagine.

I got hit with the unwanted, unmentioned GPG added to my transaction the other day.  When I noticed, I told the guy to refund me, and he claimed he couldn't, but that when I traded in the game in the future, they would refund me the $3.

I really wished they still did the surveys so I could burn him to the ground.

The DL I talked to said they were holding back 2/3rds of their TOTK CE for launch day, so they expect every store to get at least a few copies. assuming Fedex actually delivers on time. Some stores say they will honor the a CE "signup" list if they are at the midnight release, others will probably allow their employees to buy up all the CEs at 11pm before they open the doors.

The wood panel thing is still a crap shoot however.

And that's fine with me. Only game on the Switch that I really want to play is Odyssey. As a Wii U owner, the Switch feels more like a port-fest of first-party titles for those who skipped the last Ninty console.
Not untrue.. I know I laughed at the Switch console trailer of all the hip kids playing 1-2 sports on some rooftop, but do actually appreciate the portability of the console to disconnect from docked to portable and then just suspend while RL shit happens. (kids, dinner, work call.. lol)

Was that actually the only copy in that store? As if you didn't go there in person and specifically ask then it's very possible that they had 2 or even 3 copies and as per usual their inventory system is bonkers due to the negative in place.

If they did finally turn off the -1 cool.
-1 is back on it seems! But yea, I just call up the store and ask what had cases, and typically if someone traded something into a GS store with a case, it had the manual.

So do you not get points for purchases anymore unless you're a paid member?
NO SOUP FOR YOU! Not even if you're @ 14,999 points and just need 1 for another free year! :oldman:

Switch marked only the second time I regretted buying a console. The first was Game Cube.

Last I heard, Nintendo won’t allow early release. So it’s a true midnight release. Perhaps I’m wrong, but Pokémon was the same.
Rolling release so CST is 11 PM. That is what I was told by a SL yesterday who is usually on the money.

Switch marked only the second time I regretted buying a console. The first was Game Cube.
Why? If you're referring to Wii U ports, they are the definitive version on Switch. If you're not referring to the ports, Switch has a lot of amazing games and if you get a family plan and only pay $10 for the online, you have access to a lot of older games that are some of the best ever made and have even added online play.

why do you regret buying the switch?

I have skipped this generation of Nintendo console. I’ve owned most and still have a solid 3ds collection. I just can’t support Nintendo making such shoddy hardware with the plastic body, 720p screen, drifting joycons, and 8 year old technology.

This is one of the most divisive comments I've ever seen... I loved the GC, even if it didn't sell well, it had some of the best exclusives ever.

But I agree with you on the NS from a hardware perspective. The NS is too under-powered as a home console on a modern set up and not portable enough to be a portable console. I like the concept, just wish there was a way to make the system smaller for portability and maybe have the dock have standalone hardware so it can boost the output when docked. And subjectively, the NS's library doesn't compare well to my other consoles. I had a Wii U so the definitive editions, while better, are still the same Wii U games. And multiplatform games are mostly a no-go since the PS4 versions are better. And overall, while people love Nintendo games (each one sells like 10 million copies minimum), I've just gotten too tired of their "soft, safe and same" approach to games. Zelda BotW and (to a slightly lesser extent) Metroid Dread took a ton of leaps with that regard so I'd love to see them do more of that with their other series.

For me the Gamecube is their best console purely from the quality. Nearly every series i like had my personal favorite entry on it.
Pokémon colosseum & Pokémon gale of darkness
fire emblem path of radiance
Mario kart double dash
Smash brothers melee
Paper Mario and the thousand year door
Tales of Symphonia

Colosseum is what Pokémon scarlet And sword should have been like. Double battle standard made encounters far quicker.

Did not see it mentioned this month, but can you still use your $5 monthly PUR cert to buy a $10 Xbox gift card in store? I know the double dip and buying digital currency online has been dead a few months now, but not sure about in store.

Did not see it mentioned this month, but can you still use your $5 monthly PUR cert to buy a $10 Xbox gift card in store? I know the double dip and buying digital currency online has been dead a few months now, but not sure about in store.
I bought Steam yesterday, so I'd assume yes.

And on that note, had a funny experience with it. I went in to buy $50 of Steam bucks. They didn't have physical cards, so I told the person working printing me a code was fine. She looked confused.So I had to explain to her that normally they can just sell me a code on the receipt. She looked really confused and said "Oh, I don't know how to do that and anyone who would know has quit." lol. She did figure it out tough, so good on her. Got to love Gamestop's continued slow circling of the drain.

why do you regret buying the switch?

I have skipped this generation of Nintendo console. I’ve owned most and still have a solid 3ds collection. I just can’t support Nintendo making such shoddy hardware with the plastic body, 720p screen, drifting joycons, and 8 year old technology.
you can rail against Nintendo and their old tech all you want but you're missing out on some gems.

I bought Steam yesterday, so I'd assume yes.

And on that note, had a funny experience with it. I went in to buy $50 of Steam bucks. They didn't have physical cards, so I told the person working printing me a code was fine. She looked confused.So I had to explain to her that normally they can just sell me a code on the receipt. She looked really confused and said "Oh, I don't know how to do that and anyone who would know has quit." lol. She did figure it out tough, so good on her. Got to love Gamestop's continued slow circling of the drain.
Yeah from what I've seen stores have gotten rid of physical cards since there's a lot of older people getting scammed into buying steam cards for fake lovers on the internet..

The Switch came out over six years ago. Judging it by the standards of 2023 tech is silly. Back then, there was no other portable device around the $300 price point that could run something like Breath of the Wild for 3 hours

So glad I'm not a graphics whore, or I'd have been playing lame crap like The Last of Us 2 this whole gen 😉

In case you don't know, most of the time, the most powerful console doesn't sell the best. Gamers on message boards tend to forget that they are the minority. The majority of people don't care about Ray tracing or the most powerful best 60 frames per second 120 hertz, 4K etc. The majority have spoken and they prefer Switch over any other console. I agree that Nintendo needs a more powerful console but it clearly is not hurting them that they don't have one. These are not my opinions. These are absolute facts.

The Switch came out over six years ago. Judging it by the standards of 2023 tech is silly. Back then, there was no other portable device around the $300 price point that could run something like Breath of the Wild for 3 hours

So glad I'm not a graphics whore, or I'd have been playing lame crap like The Last of Us 2 this whole gen
Don't think I said anything about comparing the NS to anything from 2023... I'm saying the NS is relatively underpowered. I just have a newer TV and surround sound system that helps the experience with most of my gaming but most NS games are just technically behind. Shit it's effectively less powerful than the PS4 which came out in 2013 I think?

Also, I don't understand the default "hur dur graphics whore" comment whenever hardware capabilities come up. Nothing was said about graphics being the sole thing that makes a great game. A great game with great visuals are a better experience than a great game with poor visuals (albeit, still a great game).

Subsequently, you're also missing out great games if you think people are playing Last of Us (or God of War, RDR2, etc.) just because of the graphics.

Don't think I said anything about comparing the NS to anything from 2023... I'm saying the NS is relatively underpowered.
The problem is that a statement like this is inherently a comparison. Underpowered relative to what? A giant home console plugged into a wall, released around the same time? Yeah, no shit lol, it's a portable the size of a phone

Like I said, there was no ~$300 portable in 2017 that could play a BotW-tier game (graphically) for 3 hours on a battery. If you don't value the portability then that's fine, but that doesn't mean it was underpowered when it released. It's apples and oranges comparing a handheld with a home console

Emailed GS about Deadpool PS4 not shipping, was ordered mid April.  Their response was the game was not in stock and will ship as soon as it is.  Yet its been in stock on their website the entire time.  I bet if I ordered a copy now it would ship.  Their customer service is truly pathetic.  My guess is, this order will never ship and it'll eventually take me requesting them to cancel it to get my money back.  This is actually like the third time I've ordered the game from their site and the copies I've received were disc only with see through spots all over the disc, so I returned them immediately.  Even if they do fulfill the order, fully expecting another junk disc.

I thought GameCube and Dreamcast were weird and silly the time they came out so I never got to own one lol. It was kinda like hearing about the Soulja boy console for me at the time.

The problem is that a statement like this is inherently a comparison. Underpowered relative to what? A giant home console plugged into a wall, released around the same time? Yeah, no shit lol, it's a portable the size of a phone

Like I said, there was no ~$300 portable in 2017 that could play a BotW-tier game (graphically) for 3 hours on a battery. If you don't value the portability then that's fine, but that doesn't mean it was underpowered when it released. It's apples and oranges comparing a handheld with a home console
Fair enough though I think calling something that doesn't fit in any of my pockets a portable is a stretch, but regardless you point stands- it can't be fairly compared to anything.

I thought GameCube and Dreamcast were weird and silly the time they came out so I never got to own one lol. It was kinda like hearing about the Soulja boy console for me at the time.
I dunno, the DC was a fairly normal-ish console I thought; the VMU being the one unique thing about it, which was pretty cool. The GameCube though, with its controller design, mini-disc format and handle was something else- that controller though did make me raise my eyebrow until I actually used it, game-changer... and then the Wavebird came out and it was like whole new levels of awesomeness.

bread's done
Back