The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Yes, it should.
but won't it just take $5 off the regular price of the game? so you put it on a $9.99 game that would have changed to $5, it is just going to change it to $4.99? I can't imagine gamestop would actually code the coupon correctly to be able to be applied after a promo like this.

Ahh will be done with Gamestop after this month:

• Main account renewed its subscription on 10/31/22, but somehow my points got zapped on 9/21/23 and my Pro doesn't work now. This was the account that was shadow banned for doing too many "trade X console and get $50 when buying a PS5/Xbox Series X", and the account that got too much back in returns when trying to get rid of gutted B1G1 free games. Weirdly enough the $5 pro reward worked though, despite not getting the Pro discount on used games. No shock that GS's system is borked there.
  • Secondary account expires on 10/30 and has about 17k points
It's crazy that my original account has had 600k points lifetime, and I signed up for PowerUp Rewards back in 2010/2011, when it was being piloted in Ohio. Ya know, back when GS actually gave you points for trade-ins too. Their sales are beyond boring now (games that were eligible for 4/$10 months ago don't even qualify for 4/$20, for instance), they have so little stock that "new" purchases online will get you gutted games, and the few times there are good trade deals, you get weird shadow bans because of the 800 weird flags that are coded into Gamestop's POS system.

Last edited by a moderator:
My main GameStop account was banned because I "abused the return policy." These past few months I've ordered a bunch of games online and they've either forgotten to put any games, put in the wrong games, new games come in black cases without covers... so many damn issues.

I've been a pro member for over 10 years and this year has been the worst year to buy online. It's been atrocious. The quality of service has really gone totally downhill. I reached out to them to reverse the ban but they wouldn't. So good riddance.

I have 2 more accounts, one from my wife and another one. Once these expire I'm done with GameStop.

My main GameStop account was banned because I "abused the return policy." These past few months I've ordered a bunch of games online and they've either forgotten to put any games, put in the wrong games, new games come in black cases without covers... so many damn issues.

I've been a pro member for over 10 years and this year has been the worst year to buy online. It's been atrocious. The quality of service has really gone totally downhill. I reached out to them to reverse the ban but they wouldn't. So good riddance.

I have 2 more accounts, one from my wife and another one. Once these expire I'm done with GameStop.
Somehow I returned 20+ games and didn't get banned (albeit on 2 orders) but I still have 1 piece of an August order in limbo, because the store in question cut off my apartment number, USPS refused to deliver it, and it's been sitting in a post office in Erie for a month. GS says it's my fault somehow.

These are the things that happen when you ask retail employees with no knowledge of best practices around shipping to be your distribution center.

but won't it just take $5 off the regular price of the game? so you put it on a $9.99 game that would have changed to $5, it is just going to change it to $4.99? I can't imagine gamestop would actually code the coupon correctly to be able to be applied after a promo like this.
If you have 4 $10 games, they all get marked down to $5 each. Then the $5 cert will apply to 1 game. So you are paying $0+$5+$5+$5 = $15. You get the same result even if you use a $10, $15, or $25 cert.

Does the $5 monthly coupon work in store for a $10 PSN card/code?  I haven't paid attention since they killed the coupon for online PSN orders.

I used my $5 monthly coupon on a complete copy of Driver: San Francisco for Xbox 360 for $18.99 today.  It was one of the last few physical 360 games that I had hoped to find in the wild because it's a fairly uncommon game, so I ponied up.  My best find at GameStop this year.

My only hope for GameStops death is local game stores to get more love.

With Atlus having LRG print a Persona release it's kind of proof that big publishers faith in retail is failing (and they don't want it to sit on the shelf next to the remake...)..

If it wasn't for meme stock status, I'd bet they'd be much closer to bankruptcy.

Them picking limited run games though is questionable given that they won't likely get the games to anyone in a reasonable time period. It also is weird period given that they could have easily just published it themselves. Only thing I can guess is maybe they have no faith in that selling well period.

I used my $5 monthly coupon on a complete copy of Driver: San Francisco for Xbox 360 for $18.99 today. It was one of the last few physical 360 games that I had hoped to find in the wild because it's a fairly uncommon game, so I ponied up. My best find at GameStop this year.
That's a great get, I'm still kicking myself for not picking it up years ago for dirt cheap at GameStop. I just thought it looked like a generic racer, if only I'd known that it's anything but :whee:

Pro Week is coming back starting 10/8-10/14

Some highlights for you guys

*Buy 2 Get 1 Free on Pre Owned Games
*Buy 1 Get 3 Free on all Clearance (in store only)
*Buy 1 Get 2 Free on all Clearance (Online)

*$8 Funko Pops ($14.99 and under)
*$8 T shirts ($24.99 and under)

*Double trade bonus for Pros (20% for pro instead of the normal 10%)

*$50 off pre owned XB1/PS4 systems

*Certain new games will be up to 75% off with an extra 10% off if they have a sticker or something. Kind of confusing from what I was told

Seems like there will be some new games that will either be 25 % off, 50% off or 75% off and I think another 10% off select ones that are marked. Either way, we will probably have to wait until closer to Pro Week to get the full details on this promotion.

I am going to start paying attention soon to PSVR2 deals. The big ones probably won't happen until the first or second week of November or possibly later but it's starting to creep up.

FYI - from the GameStop gift card balance check webpage, you can add the card to your Apple Wallet. The balance gets updated automatically and the barcode can be scanned while in-store. I used it today and the employee was blown away.

Strangely looking forward to the buy 2, get 1 free, but the current buy 4 for $20 sale is still a better deal on any games that are $9.99 and under.

Does the B1G2 free on clearance work on the $5 clearance shirts as well?
Everything that I saw would indicates that the clearance price will be at the regular price without any discounts from previous sales. The $5 clearance t-shirt deal should end by 10/8 if not already. A lot of current promotions seem to be ending on 10/7 (Buy 1 Get 1 Free on Select New Games for example).

So you would basically pay the full regular price for the most expensive clearance item to get the cheapest or equal value items free.

Wait, what list?
giphy.gif

Has anyone tried trading in Wii hardware lately? I see trade values are back for remotes, nunchuks, motionplus adapters, consoles, and even balance boards.

Pro Week is coming back starting 10/8-10/14

Some highlights for you guys

*Buy 2 Get 1 Free on Pre Owned Games
*Buy 1 Get 3 Free on all Clearance (in store only)
*Buy 1 Get 2 Free on all Clearance (Online)

*$8 Funko Pops ($14.99 and under)
*$8 T shirts ($24.99 and under)

*Double trade bonus for Pros (20% for pro instead of the normal 10%)

*$50 off pre owned XB1/PS4 systems

*Certain new games will be up to 75% off with an extra 10% off if they have a sticker or something. Kind of confusing from what I was told

Seems like there will be some new games that will either be 25 % off, 50% off or 75% off and I think another 10% off select ones that are marked. Either way, we will probably have to wait until closer to Pro Week to get the full details on this promotion.
I wonder if the new Yugioh pops will fall under that sale since my store didn't get my preorders and had to special request them and they aren't in yet.

Has anyone tried trading in Wii hardware lately? I see trade values are back for remotes, nunchuks, motionplus adapters, consoles, and even balance boards.
$18 credit base TIV according to the website, but it would have to have 1 Nintendo Wiimote, nunchuk, sensor bar, and cords to trade in.

$18 credit base TIV according to the website, but it would have to have 1 Nintendo Wiimote, nunchuk, sensor bar, and cords to trade in.
Not worth it to trade in the console at that amount but the remote is $9.90, $5.50 motion plus adapter, and $5.50 for a nunchuk.

From the CE thread, this is now GameStop exclusive in North America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWJ0XxN0BtE
I was at my local yesterday and they got this in and it was water damaged and crushed in shipping. Lol

The (admittedly very dim) employee there was talking about how they are going to have a new retro trade and sell in store initiative at the beginning of the year and they're being trained on how to spot fakes and test retro hardware.

I was at a GameStop outside of LA the other day. They had a big stack of super Nintendo games on the counter all tagged. I asked if I could look through them and they said yes but they'll all be sent back to the warehouse. Wouldn't let me buy any of them if I wanted to.

Went to try and trade in some Wii remotes, nunchucks, and motion plus adapters, and was told they didn't have the hardware to test any of them, so they would have to take them has defective. YMMV here, but I'd recommend calling before going to be sure they can give you full credit.

Went to try and trade in some Wii remotes, nunchucks, and motion plus adapters, and was told they didn't have the hardware to test any of them, so they would have to take them has defective. YMMV here, but I'd recommend calling before going to be sure they can give you full credit.
What are the prices if defective? Did they tell you? I have some defective Wii remotes I bought from Goodwill that I can take to them.

This isn't a policy it's just a store making up bullshit to pay less for things

As if they’ve ever tested a joycon.

bread's done
Back