The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Last time I did a large return, it was about 25-30 games where it was all generic cases, no case at all, broken, or no game at all. Totaled around $460. They didn't really mind but I asked them if it would help if I bought other stuff with that money and they said "yes it would since its early in the morning."

I spent about an hour looking through games and their B1G1 list at the time and the employee was very understanding and would point out any sealed games he had in their drawers. In the end I think I owed them $2 from it all.

Worst case, you buy new games that you can easily return one by one at other stores. Best case, you don't care at all and get your money back.
thank you so much for the response. I got almost 30k in points and like I’m not trying to get my account banned that’s why I was asking .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At these prices I don't give a shit. They're cheaper than pre owned prices and they are (almost) guaranteed to have case and cover art. I do feel like it's stupid that they can't come up with a better solution for display cases, but ultimately if the price is right it's worth the gamble. I'd be more annoyed if I got a $60-70 game and it came gutted, but I don't pay that much for a game at gamestop generally.
do you plan on returning your pre owned that was suppose to be new? I’ll be going within the new few days to return them and I’ll report back .

They're sending new discs in their generic cases. They're not pre-owned.
Devils advocate for a moment.
Kinda hard to prove that the disks are new or not though unless they are spotless. And even then that could still be used if someone takes care of their games reasonably well. kinda like anything from gamefly. Whether in a generic case or a sleeve I definitely feel like the disc being new invalidates whenever that happens.

Buying from gs is more of a gamble than Amazon warehouse deals these days. So generally you know what to expect that something will come disc only and to only buy if cheap. And be pleasantly surprised if it actually comes complete let alone new. Then they have the fail upwards of converted to used or pulled new to fulfill the order. So take the wins where you can.

Sometimes you don't even get a disc in the case and between them and bestbuy that's pretty ridiculous and shouldn't be on the buyer to resolve. Or the wrong item in the case.

I never got around to seeing if my copy of neo twewy was actually neo and not the zombie game that got put inside the cases apparently according to the email gs sent out a year or two ago. 🤔

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m buying the WHOLE game as new, not just the disc. That includes case, artwork, factory seal.

I have some GME stock but honestly wouldn’t even care if they went out of business as they deserve it.

On the most recent sale, weren't the "new" versions of the games generally cheaper than the used versions at the time? So I guess the question for me is, would I have bought them for that price if they were used (assuming I got an opened new game)?

My trade card amount is in limbo now. The store didn't have the game in stock so I asked them to cancel my pick up order. The order shows as cancelled on the website but I haven't been refunded. Haven't gotten their gift card order either.

On the most recent sale, weren't the "new" versions of the games generally cheaper than the used versions at the time? So I guess the question for me is, would I have bought them for that price if they were used (assuming I got an opened new game)?
This happens pretty often. I think the reason is for new games, they're bound or semi-bound on pricing, vs for used copies they don't have any such restrictions.

Ordered 3 games, we’re supposed to arrive in 2 packages.

Diolfield Chronicles - GameStop ‘new’ in sleeve

Mato Anomalies - new

Triangle strategy - missing, was supposed to be in the package with Mato.

I’m buying the WHOLE game as new, not just the disc. That includes case, artwork, factory seal.

I have some GME stock but honestly wouldn’t even care if they went out of business as they deserve it.
Then shop at a real store that sells new games. Literally any other one.

GME stock is getting pound so bad, that it will be back to before pandemic levels.

They sent me a game with a pre owned sticker on it. I included a photo a couple days ago.
They shouldn't.

Edit: You only posted a photo of the back; and it's very likely then sent you a used case because the gutted copy lost theirs. So their choice is give you the actual art with the new cart or give you gut art with the new cart.

They're incentivized to not cancel SFS orders, which once again, blame corporate for the situation.

You can count how old Valkyrie Elysium is by counting the number of rings inside the tree trunk.  This one had six stickers, with the middle section constituting at least 4 layers, and is thicker than a magnetic soft tag.  It lived through the life and death of many part-time Gamestop employees. 

Valkyrie-sticker-1.jpg

one problem with the concept of "we know Gamestop guts games, it is what it is, shop somewhere else etc etc etc" is...

it normalizes this shit. Whatever you think of it, and however long its been going on (since the beginning of gamestop's life lol), this shit should NEVER be normalized OR accepted IMO...

If only Vaklyrie Elysium was a better game, I played through it and got all the endings but you can tell a bunch of systems are unfinished in the game.

Inventory is total shit at this point at any of the local stores. I was thinking about taking advantage of the b2g1 but it's slim pickings. Hopefully they just rip the band aid off after holiday and close a significant number of stores so they can at the minimum get inventory more consolidated.

This was how my Far Cry 6 steelbook was, and someone else had already tried to rip the stack of stickers off the slipcover, leaving a portion of it torn up.

You can count how old Valkyrie Elysium is by counting the number of rings inside the tree trunk. This one had six stickers, with the middle section constituting at least 4 layers, and is thicker than a magnetic soft tag. It lived through the life and death of many part-time Gamestop employees.

Valkyrie-sticker-1.jpg

one problem with the concept of "we know Gamestop guts games, it is what it is, shop somewhere else etc etc etc" is...

it normalizes this shit. Whatever you think of it, and however long its been going on (since the beginning of gamestop's life lol), this shit should NEVER be normalized OR accepted IMO...
It's a video game. You buy tons of stuff that doesn't have cellophane and not care.

There's far worse stuff that GameStop alone does that's normalized that's worse and higher on the pecking order. How about not getting enough copies to cover reserves, not honoring their premium rewards plans, terrible customer service, an online store held together with duct tape and hope, and many more.

I had 15 stickers once on a game. I just wonder what required putting that many?
Price changes, some lasting as long as a weekend event. You'd be surprised at how many little stickers that get spit out every morning that someone has to go around and find the stuff. And that was when they had double or triple coverage standard (another normalized thing, single coverage...).

I picked up an Elden Ring gut this weekend and I was thinking, for $17 (after sale, promos & rewards) it could be worse, but I was still a little annoyed because it had one of those circle seals (broken, btw) that I think you need Goo-Gone to get all the way off. So I visited/called a bunch of other stores in the area - a whopping five stores either had no new copies or one gutted copy left, and like someone else said earlier, how tf do you get down to guts of one of the bestselling games of the last 2 years?? - and just when I was about to give up, I found a store that had some sealed copies and the manager was kind enough to let me swap.

[attachment=38261:gamestop.png]

Save While You Shop

Enjoy a fantastic 15% discount on most in-store

and online products.

Try Before You Buy

Dive into our merchandise check-out program,

allowing you to experience the latest games

firsthand, at no cost.

Journey to the Top

Seize the chance for growth and development

within our organization.

Im going in. any CAGers who want to do flips at my store are a-ok by me. just throw a couple preorder bonuses my way O:)

gamestop.png

Save While You Shop

Enjoy a fantastic 15% discount on most in-store
and online products.

Try Before You Buy

Dive into our merchandise check-out program,
allowing you to experience the latest games
firsthand, at no cost.

Journey to the Top

Seize the chance for growth and development

within our organization.

Guessing a lot of us will be cutting and running once our PUR memberships are up, right? I’ve gotten used to gutted/caseless new copies since the pandemic, it used to be like 2 out of 5 games I ordered would have it. Now it’s 4 out of 5 at a minimum. I think that’s where I call it quits.

Will still take advantage of trade in bonus arbitrage whenever it pops up and use that credit on PSN money tho

It IS normal, like it or not. It's not new by any stretch and we all know how it goes down.

It sucks, it's dishonest and scummy. But at the end of the day, it's a video game with no shrink wrap, and there are far worse injustices in the world that I can waste my time trying to change. That or actually go do something I enjoy.

Bought a game with trade credit for pickup and it was cancelled. When I talk with GS support, they say it was never charged according to the trade card history. When I do the math and add up the amounts, it's missing exactly the amount for the game. Like I know they took my money and didn't give it back. What can I do to get my money back?

Bought a game with trade credit for pickup and it was cancelled. When I talk with GS support, they say it was never charged according to the trade card history. When I do the math and add up the amounts, it's missing exactly the amount for the game. Like I know they took my money and didn't give it back. What can I do to get my money back?
I hope you learned a valuable lesson.

It IS normal, like it or not. It's not new by any stretch and we all know how it goes down.

It sucks, it's dishonest and scummy. But at the end of the day, it's a video game with no shrink wrap, and there are far worse injustices in the world that I can waste my time trying to change. That or actually go do something I enjoy.
It's true you having to read the complaints about gamestop in the gamestop thread is the real injustice

ask to speak to they’re supervisor

Just a small reminder. If you order in store and do a "Web In Store" order then the minimum spend amount for free shipping with a Pro membership is only $25 before tax. Definitely beats the $79.99 if you order it yourself at home to get free shipping.

they shouldnt charge it before they ship it. you can lookup your TIC/GC on their website and it should list it's most recent transactions, no matter how old it is.

Just a small reminder. If you order in store and do a "Web In Store" order then the minimum spend amount for free shipping with a Pro membership is only $25 before tax. Definitely beats the $79.99 if you order it yourself at home to get free shipping.
It's $25, not $35? Why wouldn't everyone place WIS orders instead of online orders if the free shipping threshold is that low?

Wallet needs a chastity belt...So exhausted from shopping...Pro week summary by group:

-Dying Light 2 Deluxe Edition (PS4 "new" UpG to PS5; did not come with a cardboard slipcover sleeve...)

-Eiyuden Chronicles Rising (PS4 "new" NOT UpG to PS5...returned and refunded...)

+Labyrinth of Zangetsu (PS4 "new")

+Tales of Arise (PS4 sealed UpG to PS5)

+The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword (NSW sealed)

+Tiny Tina's Wonderlands Next Level Edition (PS5 sealed)

+Death's Door Ultimate Edition (PS5 sealed)

+Live A Live (NSW used)

-Transformers Devastation (PS4 used; Redbox label all around disc...)

+Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (XB1 used)

+Bloodstained Ritual of the Night (XB1 used)

-Chorus (PS4 used UpG to PS5; generic case...)

+New Super Lucky's Tale (PS4 used)

+Street Fighter 6 Collector's Edition (XSX "new"; "Preparing for shipment")

+Curse of the Sea Rats (PS5 new; "Preparing for shipment")

+Eiyuden Chronicles Rising (PS5 new; "Preparing for shipment")

+Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes (NSW new; "Preparing for shipment")

+Monster Hunter Stories 2 (NSW used; "Preparing for shipment")

+Stray (PS4 used UpG to PS5; "Shipment 1 of 1")

+Undernauts Labyrinth of Yomi (XB1 used; "Preparing for shipment")

+Atari 50 The Anniversary Celebration Steelbook Edition (NSW "new" in-store)

-Callisto Protocol (PS5 "new" in-store; read one line below...) 

-Callisto Protocol Collector's Edition (N/A sealed in-store; confirmed NO season pass even with game purchase; pending contact with devs/publisher)

-Crystar (NSW used in-store; generic case...)

+Jedi Survivors (PS5 used in-store)

+Metroid Prime Remastered (NSW used in-store)

+Undernauts Labyrinth of Yomi (PS5 "new" in-store; pending return/refund/exchange of XB1 version because PS5 version has beautiful inner cover art)

Positives: 20

Negatives: 7

New: 15

Used: 12 (B2G1F)

Limbo: 0
Shipping: 1 of 7
Returns: 1 of 2

I’m here to report success of getting the midnight suns legendary edition code by contacting 2k directly. They just had me send in screen shots of my account and a receipt of the purchase. Hopefully others have success with missing codes from other games. I haven’t ever had to go this route for something missing but, glad they were able to resolve this without me having to go through loopholes of returning with gs.

Last time I returned games delivered to me to a store, I received back more than what I paid for. They had to type in my info like address and all that and kept the receipt from the package. Was worried it would get me banned or something or is that usually just how it is?

Last time I returned games delivered to me to a store, I received back more than what I paid for. They had to type in my info like address and all that and kept the receipt from the package. Was worried it would get me banned or something or is that usually just how it is?
I get that GS is an ass company (hate what they do and just got a nice set of gutted "new" games).

That said, is GS going to come after folks who do this? Very doubtful, but in earnest, why do it in the first place if it results in asking the question, admitting one knows it was wrong?

I won’t be white-knighting GS on an online forum, and fully support ‘return fraud’ that’s actually due to their completely inept POS

I won’t be white-knighting GS on an online forum, and fully support ‘return fraud’ that’s actually due to their completely inept POS
Come on. All I mean to say is that I think we all know that if we point it out at the point of return, they'd appreciate it and do it correctly.

A few weeks ago, saw a guy in front of me returning some items pointed it out and corrected the GS employee. It was good to see that happen and the GS girl was super appreciative, saying he probably helped save her job by pointing it out.

Come on. All I mean to say is that I think we all know that if we point it out at the point of return, they'd appreciate it and do it correctly.
I don't know -- I've had to do a few returns over the past year, and they started by crediting me the full price (not the discounted price I actually paid). I've told the clerk each time -- 2/3 times, the clerk was either too confused to properly adjust the price OR waived their hands saying, essentially, "sssh -- evil corporation deserves to lose money."

I feel like it would behoove Gamestop to fix this issue...

I want to start by saying I know and accept the fact that online orders from GameStop are a gamble. I shop elsewhere unless the prices are too good to pass up. GameStop corporate sucks and I feel bad for the local employees dealing with the nonsense. Moving on with some data points.

Ordered 23 games. 22 new. 1 pre-owned.

Arrived in four shipments. One large box. Three smaller packages.

8 sealed.

3 pouched reseals with sticker residue.

8 guts. Price stickers removed. Sale stickers on spine. One damaged artwork from removed sticker.

2 disc only in sleeves stickered new in generic plain black cases. They are copies of the same game sent in the same package, not display copies.

1 supposed to be new game sent in pre-owned case. No stickers indicating new or pre-owned. Disc looks new. Sale sticker on spine.

1 complete pre-owned. Looks more new than several of the new games.

Nearly all my items have arrived now with the exception of one order that is still showing awaiting pickup from USPS despite being shipped on the 12th.  I was told this morning to try calling back on the 23rd if I still have not received it.

I’m here to report success of getting the midnight suns legendary edition code by contacting 2k directly. They just had me send in screen shots of my account and a receipt of the purchase. Hopefully others have success with missing codes from other games. I haven’t ever had to go this route for something missing but, glad they were able to resolve this without me having to go through loopholes of returning with gs.
my copy came in yesterday and the season pass code worked but not the doctor strange skin code

My first game finally arrived, Labyrinth of Galleria on Switch.  Gutted copy, cover has some gnaw marks from shelving, stickers came off in one easy pull, no reside.  Has inserts and original art.

NIS game for 50% off and in solid condition.  Win.

bread's done
Back