The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
package 2 of 2 finally came...

Hell-A edition came sealed even the seal was broken at a seam

both hot wheels rift rally CE arrived seal with bonus car in both.

This was the order I was worried about the most, first if it was ever going to ship and second coming sealed and not gutted.

Time to keep both rift rally and sell one of the toy car for $100

So I returned a copy of WWE 2k23 I got in the sale. I paid $6.75 for it after the 75% off and the extra percentage off for Pro Members. I returned it with the packing slip yesterday to my local GameStop and they gave me $48 in cash back. How is their POS that messed up?

So I returned a copy of WWE 2k23 I got in the sale. I paid $6.75 for it after the 75% off and the extra percentage off for Pro Members. I returned it with the packing slip yesterday to my local GameStop and they gave me $48 in cash back. How is their POS that messed up?
that’s been going on for decades but don’t abuse that cause many have been banned for doing that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In both of my large returns from the B1G1 sale in August, where an employee gave me the wrong amount back, I tried stopping them both times.

The first one was frustrating because they called into the CS line to verify my delivery date (since they were saying I wasn't eligible for a return despite it being only a week after). When your POS is such a POS that it can't just use a packing list to generate a return, and you make a customer wait an hour to do a valid return, you kinda deserve what happens. When they gave me back $80 for a $20 purchase, I pointed it out and they said that it was correct and they had used my original order for reference.

The second one wasn't as bad, but again, I brought the packing list, the thing with the barcode on it, to try to make the return easier. I even said these are B1G1 titles and I have an even amount so it should be a simple return. I even said the amount looks wrong when they were done ringing me up, but the employee was 1) single coverage and 2) there was a line, so they were trying to get me out of the store.

I'm sorry that GS is the most incompetent nationwide retailer out there, where returns are a chore, where stores have single coverage, and where new means something other than unopened in original packaging. When they die, it'll be a glorious day, not because that means less places to trade in games or buy games in general, but because they're a garbage company run by a meme boss (Ryan Cohen) and somehow treat both their employees & customers like crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won’t be white-knighting GS on an online forum, and fully support ‘return fraud’ that’s actually due to their completely inept POS
GameStop may or may not have paid me $20 to see the Mario movie via buying Donkey Kong on sale, during a "free Mario ticket with a Mario game" promo, then returning it later.

In my defense, I wasn't expecting the extra $20 back.

Has anyone else had an issue with their item saying shipped and providing a tracking number, but the tracking number is never updating? Mine still shows waiting to be received by USPS and curious what the GameStop resolution will likely be. I'd still like the order and am hoping they'll just replace it

If you look at your online receipt for any games ordered, they look like they’re coded to be credited back the full price instead of the sale price, that’s probably what causing this. That’s on them to correct that though, and we all know how that goes

It prices a return at whatever the current amount it sells for is & it’s up to the employee to manually adjust for any sale prices, different tax rates, etc.

If you look at your online receipt for any games ordered, they look like they’re coded to be credited back the full price instead of the sale price, that’s probably what causing this. That’s on them to correct that though, and we all know how that goes
Yeah clearly their online order system doesn't talk to the POS. Unlike most stores where they can see each other.

We all should be quite well aware by now that gs system runs on real life technowizardry held together with chewing gum paperclips and ductape. Honestly it is amazing how it even functions at all.

They would probably save hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions had they bothered to update their pos and tech. I feel terrible for whoever their tech people are. It must be miserable trying to fix anything.

We all should be quite well aware by now that gs system runs on real life technowizardry held together with chewing gum paperclips and ductape. Honestly it is amazing how it even functions at all.
Exactly. It's not the consumer's job to remedy a broken system. I don't know what some of the silly people on here expect. Bad enough that GS doesn't even properly train it's employees or inform them of sales, not sure what more work the consumer has to do.

Has anyone else had an issue with their item saying shipped and providing a tracking number, but the tracking number is never updating? Mine still shows waiting to be received by USPS and curious what the GameStop resolution will likely be. I'd still like the order and am hoping they'll just replace it
USPS picks up the packages from the store. If the store is closed for a lunch break at t he time they come to pick up, then orders being picked up can be delayed.

I'd make sure that the games for 2 for $50 are gonna be less than the 40% boost this week for Spiderman/Mario. Glad I got Octopath 2 last week for $15. 

I'd make sure that the games for 2 for $50 are gonna be less than the 40% boost this week for Spiderman/Mario. Glad I got Octopath 2 last week for $15.
I'm not quite understanding the math here. Why would you want anything less than 40% in terms of trade-in bonus credit?

oh damn. is pro week over? i thought they rolled over all of the things except certain sales they swapped out. boooooo.
Not completely over. The B2G1F promo is still active, and the T2G50T40+ ends on the 21st. You can also call your store?

I'm not quite understanding the math here. Why would you want anything less than 40% in terms of trade-in bonus credit?
i wouldnt. the T2G50 has been going on for a few weeks now iirc, a lot of the games i'd expect would get your over $25 if the 40% on trades towards SM2 was still going, and you cant control what the register does when taking in trades, so i just was trying to look out for yall. never again now. never ever.

I think you have to wait until release day for it to work, as I believe this does not work on preorders, but yes. I’m likely doing this on Friday for Spider-Man 2.
An associate helped me simulate a transaction for the T2G50T40+ whereby Horizon Forbidden West The Complete Edition ($59.99) ended up costing me about $10 if I traded in, for examples, Miles Morales and Deadpool; thus, Spider-Man 2 should theoretically cost about $20 if the math checks out. Can anyone confirm if the TSG50T40+ stacks with the 20%+10% boost towards pre-orders?

i wouldnt. the T2G50 has been going on for a few weeks now iirc, a lot of the games i'd expect would get your over $25 if the 40% on trades towards SM2 was still going, and you cant control what the register does when taking in trades, so i just was trying to look out for yall. never again now. never ever.
o_O? That last bit was totally out of left field but ok.

An associate helped me simulate a transaction for the T2G50T40+ whereby Horizon Forbidden West The Complete Edition ($59.99) ended up costing me about $10 if I traded in, for examples, Miles Morales and Deadpool; thus, Spider-Man 2 should theoretically cost about $20 if the math checks out. Can anyone confirm if the TSG50T40+ stacks with the 20%+10% boost towards pre-orders?
you can never stack value increase and % increase

How about using both promos towards the same game? T2G50 from the most wanted list with the 30% boost from junk games towards SM2?
No, it's just one promo or the other. Once SM2 is released, T2G50 will kick in, but until then (while it's still a preorder), the 30% boost will apply.

No, it's just one promo or the other. Once SM2 is released, T2G50 will kick in, but until then (while it's still a preorder), the 30% boost will apply.
Nvm, you're exactly right. I'm an idiot, skipped lunch lol. One promo won't work if the game is no longer pre-orderable dur.

Nvm, you're exactly right. I'm an idiot, skipped lunch lol. One promo won't work if the game is no longer pre-orderable dur.
Not necessarily--if the T2G50 promo wasn't around, the 30% boost would still apply towards SM2 after its release, but there appears to be a hierarchy in place where T2G50 overrides any 30% boost promos.

Got my stuff in finally. 

GrimGrimoire came sealed!

Void Terrarium 2 came gutted with zero stickers
DioField Chronicle and Dungeon Munchies came riddled with stickers AND the dreaded sealing sticker...

Labyrinth of Zangetsu came in a generic case... AND the dreaded sealing sticker.

Tempted to return the last one if I get a $30 refund based upon what you all are saying.  Otherwise, 5 outta 6 is good.  I'd rather they be guts without that stupid impossible clear sticker, though.

How many gift cards and points and trade cards can I use in one transaction? I googled but can't find a definitive answer. My points expire Dec 1st like a lot of others here and I have 2 trade cards to use with the points in my account and will also have at least 2 gift cards. I plan to buy online for instore pickup if possible if there are any good cash back deals or I can just go in the store but the gift cards will be digital.

So I can take Hogwarts Legacy and Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart up there and get $50 for the 2 of them?
Yes, 50 trade credit towards a new game such as Spiderman 2. The game you trade towards has to be new and cost over $40. My local gamestop is doing an early release for Spidey 2 at 9 pm tomorrow night. Haven’t heard anything about a Mario Wonder release party.

How many gift cards and points and trade cards can I use in one transaction? I googled but can't find a definitive answer. My points expire Dec 1st like a lot of others here and I have 2 trade cards to use with the points in my account and will also have at least 2 gift cards. I plan to buy online for instore pickup if possible if there are any good cash back deals or I can just go in the store but the gift cards will be digital.
3 Total Certificates with different values. Say you had $75 in Certificates. You CANNOT do Three $25 Certificates in a single transaction. You can do $25, $15 and $10 as a maximum amount on a single transaction being $50 and you would have the remaining $25 in points towards a separate transaction. Supposed to be a max of 3 certificates used in a single day as well. YMMV if the associate will enforce that though. Website only allows 2 gift cards total. Mobile App allows more than 2 gift cards total but not sure what the exact limit is. Gamestop got rid of all CashBack a few months back now as a cost cutting measure to increase their profit margins.

3 Total Certificates with different values. Say you had $75 in Certificates. You CANNOT do Three $25 Certificates in a single transaction. You can do $25, $15 and $10 as a maximum amount on a single transaction being $50 and you would have the remaining $25 in points towards a separate transaction. Supposed to be a max of 3 certificates used in a single day as well. YMMV if the associate will enforce that though. Website only allows 2 gift cards total. Mobile App allows more than 2 gift cards total but not sure what the exact limit is. Gamestop got rid of all CashBack a few months back now as a cost cutting measure to increase their profit margins.
Most employees near me have no idea about the 3 limit and will go through with any you ask. So you can do one of each denomination plus the monthly cert, plus any gift card amount you have on top of that. So $1, $3, $5, $5 monthly, $10, $25 (and $50 if that still exists, don't see it since I only have sub-$1k right now).

Also fun, purchases are doing negative points again. Why does that keep reverting? So dumb.

If there is no cashback, are these sites lying?

https://www.cashbackholic.com/cashback-rebates-GameStop.com.html

Swagbucks that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. When p4 came out I used gift hulks gift cards for it on Amazon and Swagbucks to get I think vesperia? At Walmart since it was just a small side thing that only took like half an hour to do a day.

I would have gotten 18$ back from Rakuten if they were still available for gamestop from pro week :/

Havent ordered through GS online in years but with all the 75% off clearance, B2G1, B1G1 and 5% off was too hard to resist.  Grabbed 12 games saved $114, so not bad.

Swagbucks that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. When p4 came out I used gift hulks gift cards for it on Amazon and Swagbucks to get I think vesperia? At Walmart since it was just a small side thing that only took like half an hour to do a day.

I would have gotten 18$ back from Rakuten if they were still available for gamestop from pro week :/
I use swagbucks a lot. I play the daily trivia game at 8 pm EST and the not timed daily challenge multiple times a day. The money really starts to add up.

Apparently, GameStop employees have reached a breaking point. Two headlines from this week:

GameStop Employee Stabbed Customer At Potomac Mills Mall: Police

Manager of Pembroke Pines GameStop arrested in fatal shooting of suspected shoplifter

bread's done
Back