The 5111th Anime and Manga Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Negima out though I haven't finished the 1st series (and the subsequent retelling) so it remains to be seen whether or not it's good.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']no there's a new bleach filler with some random captain. not the bount-o arc.

please warn me if denno coil starts sucking bad later, because so far i am being destroyed by its awesomeness.[/quote]

Nope. Good all the way through...
though the ending is a bit flat.

Dennou Coil is awesome all the way through.

Y'all should also check out Kaiba.

On they-suck-because-they're-popular-manga, One Piece has been astoundingly good for the past few chapters, but after the end of this one, I can see a long, useless arc coming. I hope what happened gets resolved sooner rather than later.

Finally finished Death Note. Good ending, though there was only one of two ways they could've gone, so it was a bit predictable.
I kind of wanted to see Light succeed, kill the others, and have the world become his. Was the blonde girl amongst the Kira worshippers at the end Misa or somebody else?

Now onto Yotsuba.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Anyone else picking up Black Lagoon: Second Barrage? I know I am.[/quote]

Fo sho, yo.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Anyone else picking up Black Lagoon: Second Barrage? I know I am.[/quote]

Ditto on that but I'm backlogged on a lot of other stuff so I'm gonna wait for a bit and see if the 3rd season is legit. If so, then I'll wait & see if a box set (of the 1st two seasons) is out. If not, then I'll bite.

[quote name='chasemurata']Yotsuba is solid gold.[/quote]

This is a fact.

L really was the best character in the entire series. Things just weren't as good after Near and Mello were introduced.

Does anyone read/watch Kateikyo Hitman Reborn!? I know there's some discussion of Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto from time to time. I personally think that Reborn! is the best SJ series right now.

I've been meaning to check that out, though I've been waiting to finish up Death Note first. That and Gintama were two Shonen Jump titles I wanted to check out when they had previews in the magazine a while back.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Does anyone read/watch Kateikyo Hitman Reborn!? I know there's some discussion of Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto from time to time. I personally think that Reborn! is the best SJ series right now.[/quote]

It's ok. I wouldn't say it's spectacularly better/worse than any other shonen fare. I've been watching it though because I'm plot-committed (meaning I can't stop watching it till it finishes the story).

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Anyone else picking up Black Lagoon: Second Barrage? I know I am.[/QUOTE]

Well duh. Of course I'm buying it. I'm waiting for it all to be released, and then I'll watch through it.

Can't wait for Hellsing Ultimate IV!!!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Shippuuden's finally back with non-filler episodes?[/QUOTE]

Yup, started a week ago I believe. Hes doing the wind training again.

[quote name='jaykrue']It's ok. I wouldn't say it's spectacularly better/worse than any other shonen fare. I've been watching it though because I'm plot-committed (meaning I can't stop watching it till it finishes the story).[/quote]

I stopped watching the anime awhile ago. It was really good up through most of the Ring arc, but then it started with the 10 minutes of recap at the beginning of every episode which just annoys me. The manga feels a lot better to me, but every shonen manga feels a lot better than the anime.

I think Reborn! has the best main character evolution of just about any shonen manga though. In most, the main character seems to adjust to their role (i.e. Ichigo being a soul reaper) extremely quick where as Tsuna is decidedly against becoming a mafia boss for the first 3 arcs, and it's not until the Future arc that he finally seems to come to terms with it and becomes badass (especially in the latest chapter).

Reborn! is my 2nd favorite shonen title behind Flame of Recca which happens to be one of my top picks of any genre.

This anime looks kinda cool, and it's been awhile since I've said that about an anime. I think it's from the makers of Samurai Champloo....please come to the states soon...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHoZV9AFZ1g[/media]

started and finished genshiken yesterday. started mushshi a week ago and i'm only on episode 5. i noticed that if shows don't have a linear plot line that carries over episode to episode w/the same characters it takes me significantly longer to finish; they're like mini movies so i can't watch too many at once

I'll throw out this question one more time:

Does anyone know if the t-shirt offer in the FLCL Ultimate Edition boxset is still active. I don't want to lose the postcard if I'm not going to get the shirt.

Caught up with the past six or so episodes of Shippuuden I've missed (
The Sora = Naruto's twin arc was way too long, but at least I got to see Choji in action.
), so I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going.

That seems like such a vague question. What specific anime are you looking for? I haven't looked for anime in a while, but I don't think there is just one place to find the cheapest anime.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Caught up with the past six or so episodes of Shippuuden I've missed (
The Sora = Naruto's twin arc was way too long, but at least I got to see Choji in action.
), so I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going.

That seems like such a vague answer. What specific anime are you looking for? I haven't looked for anime in a while, but I don't think there is just one place to find the cheapest anime.[/QUOTE]

You mean vague question? :p
Just joking.

Im looking for a deal on the Gurren Lagann DVDs.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I'll throw out this question one more time:

Does anyone know if the t-shirt offer in the FLCL Ultimate Edition boxset is still active. I don't want to lose the postcard if I'm not going to get the shirt.[/quote]

How about you check with whoever distributed FLCL first?

[quote name='SeanAmI']I know this has probably been asked before, but whats the cheapest place around to get anime DVDs?

Thanks[/quote]

DiscountAnimeDVD has been good to me for both manga and anime buys.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']How about you check with whoever distributed FLCL first?[/quote]

I've been to their site multiple times. I don't see anything about it. But I've also seen things about "new" shirts in random forums. Info is scattered and hard to find...

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I've been to their site multiple times. I don't see anything about it. [/quote]

They have an e-mail, you know?

[quote name='SeanAmI']I know this has probably been asked before, but whats the cheapest place around to get anime DVDs?

Thanks[/quote]

www.rightstuf.com still has the best deals IMO.

Although, I doubt we will ever see the 25 for $100 deals again. Those were amazing, but in restrospect seem like they were due to the fact that Geneon and ADV were going down the toilet at the time.

Overstock.com and Best Buy are good places to check as well.

[quote name='cletus']What does CAG think of DeepDiscount? They seem to have good prices on anime but I don't want to accidentally buy a bunch of bootlegs.[/QUOTE]

DeepDiscount and RightStuf are my favorite places to buy anime. DD does *not* carry bootlegs, so there's no need to worry about that.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']www.rightstuf.com still has the best deals IMO.

Although, I doubt we will ever see the 25 for $100 deals again. Those were amazing, but in restrospect seem like they were due to the fact that Geneon and ADV were going down the toilet at the time.

Overstock.com and Best Buy are good places to check as well.[/QUOTE]

Ya, Ill probably just wait for another rightstuf sale to get the DVDs.
Thanks

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Ugh, bootleg retailer. Shame on you.[/quote]

Wait, they are?! :shock:

I had no idea. I thought they were a Deep Discount affiliate. :oops:

[quote name='chasemurata']Wait, they are?! :shock:

I had no idea. I thought they were a Deep Discount affiliate. :oops:[/QUOTE]

They carry *some* legit merchandise, but every last one of their "import" DVDs are bootlegs. I just prefer not to support any retailer who would sell such things.

I was just checking out this manga that was availabe in the iTunes app store called Pochiyama. It's $5 and has about 50 pages. The art is good but the translation is horrible. I was wondering if anybody else took a look at it.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']They carry *some* legit merchandise, but every last one of their "import" DVDs are bootlegs. I just prefer not to support any retailer who would sell such things.[/quote]

Damn. I had no idea.

Well I finally finished last exile , and although I feel the last few episodes were kinda rushed , I was pretty satisfied with the ending overall. I did have a few questions though if anyone might be able to answer them.

1.What exactly did activating exile do? Was the world like poisoned by it's existence and by fully activating it it purified the planet?
2.Going along with the first question , was the grandstream destroyed when exile was activated?
3.Was that Mullen shown during the end of the last episode , or just someone who looked like him? I thought mullen died?

Other thoughts , I thought Delphine's death was kinda a surprise and satisfying. On the other hand I thought Dio's "death" felt like a waste and served no real purpose other than to be a downer. Especially considering the sacrifice Luciola made for him just a few episodes before , which was really depressing.

Random Naruto question:

During the huge amount of filler the Anime had before Shippuden started, I was reading the manga a bit. I stopped around May of 2006, and I started watching the new series when it started, but got a little bored with it and stopped after a while. I kinda want to get back into it. Is there a list somewhere out there that matches up the manga volumes with the anime eps so I could figure out where about I stopped reading the manga and pick up with the anime around there?

I'm halfway through Beck and I gotta say, I love this series.

Really good dub, music and being a guitar player myself, I can relate to the story. This would make a great gateway drug for anyone looking to get someone into anime.

Just finished watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya in Kyon order, it was good. Although I have to say that mikuru's voice can be kind of grating.

[quote name='Bezerker']I'm halfway through Beck and I gotta say, I love this series.

Really good dub, music and being a guitar player myself, I can relate to the story. This would make a great gateway drug for anyone looking to get someone into anime.[/quote]

the dub, the songs, and the singing are absolutely stellar. such a good show

i watched an edited version the first time and when i got the uncut boxset i was a little shocked at first by all the swearing lol

Finished up the first volume of Yotsuba and I will definitely be picking up the other available volumes when I can. I loved the whole sequence where Jumbo meets the neighbors and his response to their reactions is great. :lol:

[quote name='tehweezner']the dub, the songs, and the singing are absolutely stellar. such a good show

i watched an edited version the first time and when i got the uncut boxset i was a little shocked at first by all the swearing lol[/quote]
beck is great, and the dub is awesome, but i do like the japanese singing and stuff more....and the engrish makes me happy.

[quote name='DougCL']beck is great, and the dub is awesome, but i do like the japanese singing and stuff more....and the engrish makes me happy.[/quote]

Yeah, while the dub is pretty good and one of the better dubs, I definitely prefer the original version primarily due to the singing. :bouncy:

i saw it dubbed first. i'm guessing you guys watched it subbed first?

"Secret Live" ep12 is all that matters for me, when Koyuki sings with Dying Breed. the sub version is good in the context of the show, but i'd never listen to it on its own.

the dub version however is just sonically sublime. chills up my spine everytime :bow:

[quote name='tehweezner']i saw it dubbed first. i'm guessing you guys watched it subbed first?

"Secret Live" ep12 is all that matters for me, when Koyuki sings with Dying Breed. the sub version is good in the context of the show, but i'd never listen to it on its own.

the dub version however is just sonically sublime. chills up my spine everytime :bow:
[/QUOTE]

I watched the Japanese version first, and even I have to admit that the dub does a far superior job of bringing the show to life. The absurdly poor English from the original version is certainly amusing, but adds an unintended goofiness that shouldn't be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back