The Avatar thread!!! A masterpiece :)

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Lucas doesn't put everything into his movies. The guy directs like shit. He's a "one take" kind. Clint Eastwood is too, but he's intimidating behind the camera, so the actors make sure that one attempt is pure gold. Lucas managed to make Neeson, McGregor, and Portman look like kids in a high school play.

Sorry to rant, but Lucas is a fucking hack that hasn't made a decent movie in decades. A one trick pony on life support. It makes me ill everytime they have that tacky Oscars thing where he comes out there with Coppola, Scorcese, and Spielberg. The guy has no business being up there.[/QUOTE]

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one. I don't think you become one of the most successful producers/writers/directors
of all time by half assing it. As they say, the harder you work, the luckier you get ;). While the Phantom Menace was my least
favorite of all, I think Star Wars is one of the most EPIC stories in movie history and I'm probably not the only one. It's all good
with the rant though. Get that Sh!T out!

On a side note, AVATAR WAS SOLD OUT and I couldn't watch it tonight.:bomb: I can't go see it this weekend because of prior plans.
It will have to wait til next week. :cry:

[quote name='bardockkun']Oh and
is this the third or fourth movie Michelle Rodrieguiz has died in?
[/QUOTE]
I think so
and damn Cameron for making me really like Michelle Rodrieguiz in a movie! AGH! She kicked ass

@Billyrox and Coffee: HELLS YEA! I was beginning to feel alone with those sentiments.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Caught a midnight premiere in IMAX 3D.

Pure love. I came out of a theater shaking like a leaf, for the first time in ages. I think I saw new colors I've never seen before. I can't think of many movies with so rich of a world to think about. The story, yes, isn't the most original, but it was perfectly executed, as far as I'm concerned. The criticism I'm seeing is mostly pretentious film-school bullshit (and make no mistake, I'm into fussy art-cinema as well, but I'm not absorbed into only being able to enjoy that sort of thing, and obsessing over trying to apply the same measurements to a movie like Avatar; I pity people who are so absorbed into that sort of thing, as I think they just plain have less fun).

Absolutely wonderful. A magnificent movie. Will be back on Sunday.[/QUOTE]

fucking 100% agree. Those snobby heartless people that don't like it, really need to get out of themselves for a bit.

[quote name='bardockkun']Oh and
is this the third or fourth movie Michelle Rodrieguiz has died in?
[/QUOTE]

haha... great body.. ugly as hell face... why does she look permanently pissed off

[quote name='GuyWithGun']Gotcha. In the post I quoted you said you didn't think bluray would have the 3d option.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it will when it comes out. Not unless them new tvs that have the 3d are out by then. So if Sony has that 3d tv come out in the next 6 months I don't see the BD having 3d.

EDIT: I thought Rodrieguis looked good in this movie.

[quote name='billyrox']I know.. I loved it more than i thought i would... took a cute girl with me and totally ignored her because I was enthralled

Was it me, or did anyone else have a total crush on the the Lady Na'vi... she was something else[/QUOTE]

If you are talking about Neytiri it might be because it was Zoe Saldana that played her. I'm going to guess that they used her likeness to make the character like they did with sam worthington's Na'vi avatar.

Damn all of you that could see this in IMAX 3d are lucky I would pay 20 bucks to see this on the IMAX 3d, but the only one that I know of around here has Christmas Carol on the IMAX and all future dates never show Avatar.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sendme']I don't think it will when it comes out. Not unless them new tvs that have the 3d are out by then. So if Sony has that 3d tv come out in the next 6 months I don't see the BD having 3d.
[/QUOTE]
There are already TVs out there that will support the 3d Avatar game which uses the same technology as the 3d movie.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']3D HDTV is poised to really take off, by most estimates in the second half of 2010 (and no, not that red/blue paper glasses shit that they've been including with DVDs of like, Shrek 3D or whatever; we're talking about active shutter polarized glasses, for an overall experience and technology very similar to what we're seeing in cinemas now). No question, some 3D home version of Avatar will be available, doubtless as a flagship title. Wouldn't count on DVD, though; all the talk about 3D home cinema is hinging on Blu-Ray being a required component.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I meant BluRay.

I can't believe the blind hate through the first couple of pages in this thread. I'm cynical, and I generally go into big hype movies pessemistic as hell, but oh my shit it's amazing.

Seeing this in 2d probably isn't that great, this is something that HAS to be seen in 3-d. it's like watching a brand new hd movie on youtube in lo-def and chunks if you see it in 2d.

I saw it yesterday at the first matinee, and just, omg I hate how much I can't stop gushing about the effects and the world, and everything.

in 2d i'm sure the CG is just like any other top notch CG, but when you see it in 3d, you see it has actual depth, and it comes to life. Half of my brain knows it isn't real, that it is some computer making it, but the other half of my brain can SEE, the depth of the fronds and individual blades of grass waving going back and out of view.

I have never seen 3d in a theatre before, so I can't compare it to say pixar movies in 3d, but this is the starting of every scifi writers predictions becoming reality.

I thought about the movie all day yesterday and have today as well, I'll probably see it again in the next couple of days.

[quote name='mmartigan2']Star Wars.........Jurassic Park.......Avatar .......'nuf said.......[/QUOTE]
Exactly what I was thinking! Jurassic Park has had some of the best visual effects in movies for the longest time and it is pathetic that we have not met its continuity... until Avatar.

Avatar is my pick for best Movie of 2009. So much awesome in 2 hrs and 30 minutes. I will definitely be seeing it again before it's gone.

I saw it in IMAX 3D at Citywalk AMC, Hollywood:D now THAT is a great movie theatre.

[quote name='hohez']I can't believe the blind hate through the first couple of pages in this thread. I'm cynical, and I generally go into big hype movies pessemistic as hell, but oh my shit it's amazing.[/QUOTE]

Lol same here man... i typically love James Cameron movies... but the movie really exceeded my expectations and i left in awe...just can't stop thinking the amount of effort and time put into Avatar... it was totally game changing...

I'm thinking that i will take my dad to watch it in the Imax 3d when I head home for Christmas Tuesday... early Christmas present... it's like 14 dollars for an amazing experience

[quote name='redshadow']Avatar is my pick for best Movie of 2009. So much awesome in 2 hrs and 30 minutes. I will definitely be seeing it again before it's gone.

I saw it in IMAX 3D at Citywalk AMC, Hollywood:D now THAT is a great movie theatre.[/QUOTE]

Will probably end up watching it 3 times at theaters. :)

"Steven Spielberg called Avatar "the most evocative and amazing science-fiction movie since Star Wars," according to a report on The Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision blog; director James Cameron held a private screening earlier this month for a few friends, including Arnold Schwarzenegger and Spielberg.

Speaking of Cameron, he will be honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame today; doesn't he have one already?"

http://scifiwire.com/2009/12/news-briefs-spielberg-lov.php

[quote name='sendme']"Steven Spielberg called Avatar "the most evocative and amazing science-fiction movie since Star Wars," according to a report on The Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision blog; director James Cameron held a private screening earlier this month for a few friends, including Arnold Schwarzenegger and Spielberg.

Speaking of Cameron, he will be honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame today; doesn't he have one already?"

http://scifiwire.com/2009/12/news-briefs-spielberg-lov.php[/QUOTE]
So what if Steven Spielberg, James Cameron and Peter Jackson loved the movie. They have no talent and don't do anything! I get all my movie advice from slickkill77, he is the movie god. He knows everything and he hates this movie so that means those "directors" don't know anything!

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Exactly what I was thinking! Jurassic Park has had some of the best visual effects in movies for the longest time and it is pathetic that we have not met its continuity... until Avatar.[/QUOTE]
Have you never seen the LOTR trilogy?:???:

[quote name='slickkill77']Ok, so let me get this straight. People are praising the movie simply for its CGI? Every review has said this: ZOMG teh graphics will make you shit your pants, but the story is cliche and predictable. 95%. What makes this movie any different from a Michael Bay film? Prettier graphics? That doesn't make a film good.[/QUOTE]

This is seriously all I am looking for here too. What the fuck makes this movie so great other than the CGI? It's not a complicated question, stop flaming people who ask.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This is seriously all I am looking for here too. What the fuck makes this movie so great other than the CGI? It's not a complicated question, stop flaming people who ask.[/QUOTE]

Cameron. :cool:

But honestly, it's a good movie because it's well acted and the world is believable. You end up caring about the CGI blue natives, which I really did not expect to do.

Just because a story has been done before, doesn't mean it can't be told really really really well, and this film does exactly that.

[quote name='JolietJake']Have you never seen the LOTR trilogy?:???:[/QUOTE]
My top 3 movies of all time. And yes you are right.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This is seriously all I am looking for here too. What the fuck makes this movie so great other than the CGI? It's not a complicated question, stop flaming people who ask.[/QUOTE]

I'll use a food analogy: It is like a perfectly crafted Hamburger, utterly delicious. Yea, you have gotten hamburgers before - but never made this perfectly and with this much care. Also, while you eat that hamburger - you receive a handjob from the waitress.

You are going to hate this movie or love it from the way it looks. I'm a James Cameron fan so a year ago when I had heard about it I wanted to see it. I knew nothing about it other then the name. Soon after that I saw the poster. Sure the story has been done in the past but it was the way he did it. The CGI was done well when mixing with live action. The acting was great along with the 3d. I don't see 3d doing well but this movie made it work. I'm not big on the 3d but if the BD has the option then my next tv will be 3d just for this movie. To me it all blended well together. Sure it had its slow parts but that was to build up the characters and make it so that you gave a damn.

[quote name='keithp'].....(crickets)......[/QUOTE]

seriously, the lovely haters who don't want to watch the movie... don't ;)
dont care enough, and i'm not going to convince you.

personally, i'm just giddy and going to rave about it with everyone else who enjoyed it.

I'll eventually see it but the story just seems so cliche.

I wish he had done the Dune story instead - that story is similar but contains nuance.

I wonder what all the haters would be saying if this was 10 or so years ago. Camron had the thing wrote back in 1995. He didn't film it then because he wanted to give the people working with the CGI time to figure out how they would do it on the computer. He also was working on Titanic at the time. He thought after 2 years the CGI team would be able to do it and they told him to do it the right way the tech isn't there yet. So back in 2005 he came back to it and starting working on it again and the tech was there this time.

The video that he says that in can be seen in the link below.
http://scifiwire.com/2009/12/james-cameron-on-why-avat.php

I never understood why having a cliche story was a carnal sin. 99.99% of all stories have been told before, but as long as it's done well, i couldn't care less if I've seen it before.

And this movie does it really really really well.

[quote name='billyrox']seriously, the lovely haters who don't want to watch the movie... don't ;)
dont care enough, and i'm not going to convince you.

personally, i'm just giddy and going to rave about it with everyone else who enjoyed it.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm sure I'll go see it, but it's hard believing it's as good as you all are raving about when all the reviews I've read say the story sucks but the special effects are great. Maybe I'll change my mind after seeing it. And unless the story is absolutely horrible I'm sure I'll probably enjoy it.

So has anyone already watched it multiple times?

I definitely plan on watching it, how can I miss the "Star Wars of this decade"(since I was not alive when Episode 4 was first released). :) Seriously, people gushing over this movie all over the net. They are saying " It's not a movie it's an experience." "Most amazing thing I have ever saw." "You will not be the same after this movie it will blow your fucking minds!". "fuck real life take me back to Pandora damnit!" etc etc etc. 12 dollars a ticket ouch I think I will wait till next week sometime so I can use a movie pass to cover part of the cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hohez']I never understood why having a cliche story was a carnal sin. 99.99% of all stories have been told before, but as long as it's done well, i couldn't care less if I've seen it before.

And this movie does it really really really well.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about Cameron and carnal sin - you'll have to ask one of his four ex-wives about that.

Sci-fi was always the genre that you could count on to escape the typical mindless stupidity. Even when not completely original, there were always sci-fi flicks with fresh concepts: 2001, Forbidden Planet, Total Recall and Blade Runner to name just a few.

These days intelligent movies can't catch a break. Even glib fare like Serenity can't attract an audience - no, people need dumbed-down pissed-off Will Smith backflipping off his motorcycle while firing two uzis before they'll pony up the dough.

If the plot is any better then "John Cena clone teams up with Ewok Smurfs" then it will exceed my expectations. And that's just sad.

Was i the only one that loved Sigourney weaver way better in her avatar form? I actually cared about her and felt sympathy about her struggal, but when shown as a human she was just a jerk.

great movie, my tickets cost 18$ :(. but still planning on seeing it again.

[quote name='hohez']I never understood why having a cliche story was a carnal sin. 99.99% of all stories have been told before, but as long as it's done well, i couldn't care less if I've seen it before.

And this movie does it really really really well.[/QUOTE]
I say; just enjoy the experience, don't be a prick and sit there with a pen and paper writing out all the inconsistencies and story cliches. Enjoy something for once and hang up your dbag hat.

Why can't people just watch movies for fun anymore?

Visually the movie was absolutely spectactular but the story just bored me to death. Its the exact same story we've seen in The Last Samurai, Dances With Wolves, and even as recent as District 9

I liked the movie and definitely thought it was worth seeing but it didn't blow me away and I certainly don't think its as good as District 9. I would say its the 3rd best (sci-fi) movie of the year though.

Giant glaring plothole, anyone?

TO: the interstellar corporation from AVATAR
RE: your stupidity

Hey, guys --

Lemme see if I've got this straight.

You're on Pandora to collect a mineral called unobtanium. There is a huge concentration of unobtanium underneath the nearby native village. You want the unobtanium, the natives don't want to move, and so you take direct action, which, as always and everywhere, means "killing people and taking their stuff." Am I right about this? OK, good.

The movie I saw about you doesn't actually tell us what unobtanium is good for, but it does show us a sample of unobtanium on a character's desk, and based on that scene I think I can make a pretty good guess. The unobtanium is levitating a few inches above some kind of self-contained powered base. When taken away from this base, it doesn't levitate on its own. Obvious inference: that device on the desk creates an electromagnetic field, and unobtanium is a room-temperature superconductor.

Here's the thing: unless you're more interested in being evil, rather than ruthless, you're not necessarily in the business of oppressing natives. You're in the business of getting unobtanium. Right?

Well, I am totally not a geologist or a physicist or anything like that, but we are told several times in the movie that there are strong fields of whooziwhatsis on Pandora that screw up your instrument readings and various aspects of your technology, and we see that these fields are strongest in the Hallelujah Mountains, which are great big levitating rocks.

...yes. That's right; you are on this planet to collect an extremely valuable element that levitates when exposed to a presumably magnetic field, and your planet has great big levitating rocks in an area characterized by strong presumably magnetic fields.

Might I suggest that if you're having so many problems with the natives, you might want to ignore their goddamn village and check out THE GIANT fuckING FLOATING MOUNTAINS, because you can bet your ass they are chock full of unobtanium.

If you aren't mining the Hallelujah Mountains, you are stupid.

This is not your fault, I know. You have to be stupid. Because if you're not stupid, there's no way you're wasting time with the blue kittycat people when you could literally be plucking unobtanium from the sky. But you're in a lefty self-hate movie, so it's not enough for you to be ruthless and amoral; you have to be out and out evil, to the point of killing people when it makes no business sense to do so. I get that. I do. I'm sick of it, sure -- just once, man, I would love to see a movie where a guy embeds in another culture and, while he comes away respecting them, still feels more comfortable and happier in his own -- but hey, that's the genre.

If it's any consolation, you guys aren't alone. When the hero -- who's never seen or heard of the Hallelujah Mountains -- finally sees them, he doesn't do what any other human being would do and ask, "So, how come those fucking mountains are floating, then?"

Anyway, best of luck with your endeavors, but I'm telling you, forget the Smurfs. Check out the floating rocks. I don't know how you guys wound up being there however long and never thought about them.

I don't know how James Cameron had them on the screen for a good chunk of a three-hour movie and expected *me* not to think about them, either.

Best,

David Hines

http://hradzka.livejournal.com/378981.html

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I say; just enjoy the experience, don't be a prick and sit there with a pen and paper writing out all the inconsistencies and story cliches. Enjoy something for once and hang up your dbag hat.

Why can't people just watch movies for fun anymore?[/QUOTE]

requoting for post above

Maybe because I don't want to spend a shitton of money to spend two-and-a-half hours plunking my ass down on an uncomfortable seat to watch a screen saver with my family.

Also, plothole as big as those mountains.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Maybe because I don't want to spend a shitton of money to spend two-and-a-half hours plunking my ass down on an uncomfortable seat to watch a screen saver with my family.

Also, plothole as big as those mountains.[/QUOTE]

so you are complaining about a plothole of a movie you haven't even seen?

:lol: wow that's the big "plot-hole" some random internet blog post came up with?

It never says anything in the movie other than the ore is expensive.
Assuming that little device is creating a magnetic field, wouldn't iron, or any other magnetic metal also float.

But then that's the flaw of making assumptions about shit I think I know what I'm talking about now isn't it.

That is the most non-plot hole ever.

That stupid ore is what is reffered to as a MacGuffin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin). It doesn't matter what it is or what it does, all that matters is that people want it. That's it.

And the "plot hole" is contingent upon so many ifs that it is completely ridiculous. Not to mention that its inconsistent with the story. They clearly stated that it is in the ground, but the plot hole is that it's flying? /fail

[quote name='bickle']That is the most non-plot hole ever.

That stupid ore is what is reffered to as a MacGuffin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin). It doesn't matter what it is or what it does, all that matters is that people want it. That's it.

And the "plot hole" is contingent upon so many ifs that it is completely ridiculous. Not to mention that its inconsistent with the story. They clearly stated that it is in the ground, but the plot hole is that it's flying? /fail[/QUOTE]

exactly... thats why was assuming he didn't even watch the movie... that is a ridiculous complaint

bread's done
Back