The Beer, Pussy, and Chicken Fingers OTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Eviltude and HumanSnatcher, I'll be moving to your area soon (got a new job there). I'll be looking for an apartment there soon. I hate leaving Baltimore (such a great city), but I really want the better job.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']
Where are you, what have you done questline wise, etc?[/QUOTE]

Level 22 now I think. I haven't done a hell of a lot actually. As far as the main quests goes I just met w/
the Greybeards
and I did all the Companions Guild quests* and I'm now working my way through Mage's Guild quests.

*For some reason all the companions hate me even though I was told I should be their leader. Also, my miscellaneous quests log still shows 'talk to the companions leader for new jobs' even though I am the leader.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Hey Eviltude and HumanSnatcher, I'll be moving to your area soon (got a new job there). I'll be looking for an apartment there soon. I hate leaving Baltimore (such a great city), but I really want the better job.[/QUOTE]
What part of Hampton Roads are you moving to?

Possibly going to Buffalo Wild Wings with FIL tonight. Hooray for chain restaurants!
No idea where my gamefly games are. They come from seattle and I usually get them in 1-2 days.

[quote name='eldergamer']Possibly going to Buffalo Wild Wings with FIL tonight. Hooray for chain restaurants!
No idea where my gamefly games are. They come from seattle and I usually get them in 1-2 days.[/QUOTE]

Friends in love?

Speaking of chain restaurants, I just got back from Texas Roadhouse. It was dayumn good.

And the last time I tried Gamefly there was a shipping distro in Pittsburgh, DC, Maryland, and NJ. All 4 hours from me max and I could never receive anything nor would they acknowledge receipt of anything within about a week. Atrocious logistics. (anyone who is looking for a band name can feel free to use that)

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']What part of Hampton Roads are you moving to?[/QUOTE]
I haven't decided yet. I'm going to be looking for apartments soon. Likely Bad News, Hampton, or Yorktown.

[quote name='Maklershed']Level 22 now I think. I haven't done a hell of a lot actually. As far as the main quests goes I just met w/
the Greybeards
and I did all the Companions Guild quests* and I'm now working my way through Mage's Guild quests.

*For some reason all the companions hate me even though I was told I should be their leader. Also, my miscellaneous quests log still shows 'talk to the companions leader for new jobs' even though I am the leader.[/QUOTE]

For the longest time, I left the main quest about where you were.
I was perpetually at the "Retrieve the horn of so and so".
I think I did almost everything else before I started pushing the main questline along (Dark Brotherhood, Thieves, Mages, Companions). The only thing I had glitch really bad was the Civil War stuff which refused to populate a fort I needed to take over with the enemy. :|
That character ended up as level 56, I think.
I made a new character to go through the Civil War stuff for my last 2 achievements/trophies. I think she ended up level 11 or so. Stupid glitches. :)

[quote name='Rocko']Man, I have no fucking idea what to do in Noby Noby Boy, guess I need to look it up a bit. :lol:[/QUOTE]The game doesn't really have a concept outside of trying to get longer.

[quote name='corrosivefrost'] The only thing I had glitch really bad was the Civil War stuff which refused to populate a fort I needed to take over with the enemy. :|[/QUOTE]

I hope they explain that better because right now I have an option/mission to join the imperials or stormcloaks and I have know fucking clue what either side stands for or what they're about or why they're at war.

[quote name='Rocko']Man, I have no fucking idea what to do in Noby Noby Boy[/QUOTE]
Fiddle with the controls and eat shit for about 30 minutes and then get insanely bored and never play it again.

I do absolutely love having NMH in HD. I can totally get the platinum trophy on this as long as I can beat those horrific free fight missions... and bitter mode. :lol:

Edit: Yeah for real fuck the free fight missions. ;-;

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Maklershed']I hope they explain that better because right now I have an option/mission to join the imperials or stormcloaks and I have know fucking clue what either side stands for or what they're about or why they're at war.
[/QUOTE]

Well, let's see if I can summarize what I took from it:
(1) Skyrim is kind of like Cyrodil's Canada. (Cyrodil, I think, is where TES IV: Oblivion took place, maybe). It's the great north and it's inhabited by these nordish peoples.

(2) The Emperor (Cyrodil) started expanding influence and gained the support of the High King of Skyrim, who was the Jarl of Solitude.

(3) Ulfric Stormcloak, the Jarl of Windhelm, "challenged" the high king to a duel, essentially, and used the voice to destroy the young (teens, early 20s, I'd guess) High King of Skyrim.

(4) Because the king is dead, a new king must be elected by (almost?) unanimous support of the 9 Jarls of Skyrim. So far, there is no majority/support for a true king -- so the High Queen (Jarl of Solitude) is claiming the throne as the successor to her dead husband and Ulfric is claiming it as well. The 9 holds are divided in their support of which candidate should be high king.

That's the long and the short of it. Empire came to the country, people started fighting over whether it was good or not, then when the king was dead, they started fighting over who was the new king.

It's sort of like big government vs. no government. :rofl:
I went Imperial because I fucking hate Ulfric Stormcloak. He's a giant self-righteous douchenozzle who was the sole reason you start the game where you did. And for those reasons alone, I defected to the Imperial Legion for my choice.
Most of that isn't spoilerific, I think, but I put it there just in case so people wouldn't get upset for any reason.

Ah... not quite, I don't think.

This really does not need to be spoilered, but I'll carry on the tradition:

Remember Uriel "Captain Picard" Septim and his son Martin from Oblivion? They're descended from Tiber Septim, the guy that united the continent under human rule. Their dynasty ran through all of the first four Elder Scrolls games. Before he became emperor, he was a Nord warrior named Talos. After his death, he ascended to godhood under that name.

Nords and Bretons, understandably, fuckin' love the guy. He's a home-grown god. Elves, though? Hate him. Don't like the idea that a human could become a god. So after the Septim line died out and the empire was weak, the wood elves and the high elves seceded, formed their own nation (The Aldmeri Dominion), and waged a war against the old empire. The empire faired rather poorly, and one of the terms of the piece treaty was the outlawing of Talos-worship in the empire.

This has got the Nords (specifically the Stormcloaks) all pissed off. "Talos built the empire, he became a god, and now you're turning your backs on him, Imperials? No. fuck that. Get the fuck out of our country. We're not gonna be part of an empire that shits on its founders and kisses the ass of its enemies."

Imperials (and their Nordic supporters, specificall Jarl Elisif), on the other hand, say, "Chill the fuck out, Nord-bros. This infighting just strengthens the elves' hands. Calm your tits, bide your time, and we'll kick their mer-man asses when we're strong enough. Then you can go back to your favourite church, yeah?"

[quote name='The Crotch']Ah... not quite, I don't think.

This really does not need to be spoilered, but I'll carry on the tradition:

Remember Uriel "Captain Picard" Septim and his son Martin from Oblivion? They're descended from Tiber Septim, the guy that united the continent under human rule. Their dynasty ran through all of the first four Elder Scrolls games. Before he became emperor, he was a Nord warrior named Talos. After his death, he ascended to godhood under that name.

Nords and Bretons, understandably, fuckin' love the guy. He's a home-grown god. Elves, though? Hate him. Don't like the idea that a human could become a god. So after the Septim line died out and the empire was weak, the wood elves and the high elves seceded, formed their own nation (The Aldmeri Dominion), and waged a war against the old empire. The empire faired rather poorly, and one of the terms of the piece treaty was the outlawing of Talos-worship in the empire.

This has got the Nords (specifically the Stormcloaks) all pissed off. "Talos built the empire, he became a god, and now you're turning your backs on him, Imperials? No. fuck that. Get the fuck out of our country. We're not gonna be part of an empire that shits on its founders and kisses the ass of its enemies."

Imperials (and their Nordic supporters, specificall Jarl Elisif), on the other hand, say, "Chill the fuck out, Nord-bros. This infighting just strengthens the elves' hands. Calm your tits, bide your time, and we'll kick their mer-man asses when we're strong enough. Then you can go back to your favourite church, yeah?"
[/QUOTE]

Fair enough -- I never invested enough in it to get all the religious parts out of it.
But everything else makes sense and I agree. Good description. :)

[quote name='Maklershed']Friends in love?

Speaking of chain restaurants, I just got back from Texas Roadhouse. It was dayumn good.

And the last time I tried Gamefly there was a shipping distro in Pittsburgh, DC, Maryland, and NJ. All 4 hours from me max and I could never receive anything nor would they acknowledge receipt of anything within about a week. Atrocious logistics. (anyone who is looking for a band name can feel free to use that)[/QUOTE]

Father in Law.

Actually gamefly's been pretty good usually. They'll even ship me a new one on the day I sent the old one out. (The Post office machine sends a message to gamefly...)
I have been getting most games in 2 days.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I haven't decided yet. I'm going to be looking for apartments soon. Likely Bad News, Hampton, or Yorktown.[/QUOTE]
Where is the job actually at? If its in the Peninsula, like Hampton, Newport News and Yorktown, then either of those places are cool. But if its on the South Side, meaning Norfolk, Va Beach, Chesapeake,, then you'll have a hell of a commute with both bay bridge tunnels. Honestly, I know nothing of the Peninsula, but if you are going to be in the south side, I can help ya out about what areas are decent. Who much are you looking to spend on a place? I can tell you right now that a good area is gonna run a bare minimum of 800. If you have pets, then thats gonna be more. Pet friendly apartments in this area are few and far between if you go thru the apartment guide like websites. Feel free to PM if you want

Had to walk a mile today at 5:20AM since i missed my 1st bus. Just got off work a few mins. Ago my body aches :(

P1010206.jpg

I'm pretty proud of myself!

The Japanese teaching application requires two essays. Blah, I'll work on them later. In a way I hope the Japan one falls through as I really want to go to Korea, but I also really want to go to Japan. That is going to be one hard choice to make if I am lucky this time around.

[quote name='Dkellar']The Japanese teaching application requires two essays. Blah, I'll work on them later. In a way I hope the Japan one falls through as I really want to go to Korea, but I also really want to go to Japan. That is going to be one hard choice to make if I am lucky this time around.[/QUOTE]

Given the current political situation in North Korea, going to South Korea might not be a great plan. Just something to consider.

In the last year I've had 2 friends move back from South Korea after finishing their contracts teaching English. They both said it was a great experience, albeit crazy culture shock, as you'd expect. One of them actually finished her 2nd contract.

First day back to work since 12/30. :(

Doesn't help that I watched Castaway on the Moon last night whose message was basically work (and entertainment) is a diversion to dull your senses and fritter your time until you die - when you could be enjoying nature and love and living your life and enjoying yourself.

Morning, OTT.

[quote name='Maklershed']First day back to work since 12/30. :(

Doesn't help that I watched Castaway on the Moon last night whose message was basically work (and entertainment) is a diversion to dull your senses and fritter your time until you die - when you could be enjoying nature and love and living your life and enjoying yourself.[/QUOTE]

I'm just passing through this life to get to the next.

Hopefully I do enough good deeds to be deemed worthy to enter the Halls of Valhalla.

Doesn't help that I watched Castaway on the Moon last night whose message was basically work (and entertainment) is a diversion to dull your senses and fritter your time until you die - when you could be enjoying nature and love and living your life and enjoying yourself.[/QUOTE]

First day back since... :check calendar: 12/12. :wall:

[quote name='Chika']Given the current political situation in North Korea, going to South Korea might not be a great plan. Just something to consider.

In the last year I've had 2 friends move back from South Korea after finishing their contracts teaching English. They both said it was a great experience, albeit crazy culture shock, as you'd expect. One of them actually finished her 2nd contract.[/QUOTE]

I'm not too concerned about the political situation over there. And North Korea hates Japan too.

Did you like the movie? It is one of my favorites. I learned how to make jajangmyeon (black bean noodles) because of that movie.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']First day back since... :check calendar: 12/12. :wall:[/QUOTE]

Dayumn a whole month? Sweet break. That's gotta be hard to get back in the groove after that though.

[quote name='Dkellar']Did you like the movie? It is one of my favorites. I learned how to make jajangmyeon (black bean noodles) because of that movie.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. It's one of those movies where I have to digest it over a few days. I'm sure if I watched it again there would be stuff I missed the first time
for example, it took me awhile to notice that female kim shaped the pictures of male kim into a circle on her wall and pasted them over thepictures of the moon so the whole collage looked like the moon in space
. I'm still not sure about a few things -
why do the two main characters have the same name, why was letting go of the swan so important, and why do they both say there are certain things they haven't eaten for 100 years (sweet flowers for male Kim and something I can't remember for female kim .. maybe the black bean noodles)

How hard is it to make those noodles? It looked good. I got hungry for lo mein or something afterwards. Do you have a recipe?

[quote name='Maklershed']Dayumn a whole month? Sweet break. That's gotta be hard to get back in the groove after that though.

Definitely. It's one of those movies where I have to digest it over a few days. I'm sure if I watched it again there would be stuff I missed the first time
for example, it took me awhile to notice that female kim shaped the pictures of male kim into a circle on her wall and pasted them over thepictures of the moon so the whole collage looked like the moon in space
. I'm still not sure about a few things -
why do the two main characters have the same name, why was letting go of the swan so important, and why do they both say there are certain things they haven't eaten for 100 years (sweet flowers for male Kim and something I can't remember for female kim .. maybe the black bean noodles)

How hard is it to make those noodles? It looked good. I got hungry for lo mein or something afterwards. Do you have a recipe?[/QUOTE]

I never noticed that the pictures formed the moon though I do remember her covering the wall with his pictures. Kim is the last name of the characters, and from what I have seen, a lot of people in Korea have the same name or very similar names. Kim is a very common last name for Koreans. The swan was his refuge, his home. He mentioned he had been saving for seven years and now he finally had his own 'place,' and the swan took him in without any bias, as odd as that sounds. As for the not eating something in a 100 years, it might be just a saying over there similar to when people say "Oh it's been ages since..." or "I haven't done that in forever..."

I really liked how the movie switched perspectives midway even though at first it was confusing. And when the bus at the end was driving away before the girl could reach it, I really though the movie was going to have a sad/hopeless type ending (as other Korean films I have seen tend to be quite dark in their endings). I did not expect the air raid drill to take place, but I really enjoyed how it ended.

As for the noodles, it is an easy dish. The only thing you really need is the fermented black bean paste. I typically just saute some onions and garlic in olive oil, then add in whatever veggies I want, cook for a minute or two then add the water and black bean paste, let it boil a little bit, add in the potato starch, let it thicken and dump it on some noodles.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/jjajangmyun

This is the recipe I used as a guide when first making the dish.

Thanks for the recipe and ...

their full names are the same, not just the Kim part. She says at the end my name is Kim Jeong Sung, who are you or something like that and the guy laughs because thats his name too. A fact I probably would've missed if it weren't for the credits. I wonder if its supposed to show that they're made for each other or that they're representing two different aspects of the psyche?

Also, I thought it was gonna be a sad ending too and before that even I thought it would be that the guy really was dead and his spirit was stuck on the island or something but I'm glad for how it turned out.

It was alright, but it felt unnecessary, stilted, and it was a little long. You leave the theater a little disappointed because the acting is fantastic, but the script and directing are a little off. Instead of working on making a really great film, they seemed more intent on fitting in everything from the book to make sure that they are on solid ground for the sequel. If you have seen the Sweedish movie or read the books it is a pretty unnecessary experience.

I thought the whole thing was fantastic. Compared to what I saw of the Swedish movie, I'll take the Fincher version, hands down. Rooney Mara fits the role of Lisabeth Salander amazingly well. The film not only wouldn't get out of my head (to the point where I plan to go see it again), but has me on board to read the books before the second film comes out. :)

I heard the film is almost shot for shot with the Swedish version. Also, I'm told it's a lot more culturally relevant to Sweden for whatever reason that I wouldn't understand. I still want to see the US version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back