The "Big Lazy" Kevin Nash Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Demolition Man']You know as much as the IWC is shitting on Punk coming back "too soon"... yeah it could have been worse with Triple H giving Punk the Pedigree. So let's be thankful that didn't happen.[/QUOTE]

SHHH, be quiet! They could still do it! Lets just let that die. :D

I'm in the crowd the feels his return was a bit too hurried. But, I'm hopeful that this doesn't end up flattening, and simply becoming a part of the WWE plateau.

Gotta wonder if Creative is coming up with these "Triple H squashes CM Punk" to appease H, so they can keep their job for a little bit longer (and perhaps be given time to eat), or if they're so unfamiliar with pro wrestling, and the wrestlers, that they don't know who's who and what's what.

(And yes, I do listen to the Dave Lagana shows, and realize it's probably more of the prior than the latter. But that's just a sad state of affairs to accept.)

Anyhow!

So, the Diamond Exchange and Diamond Mine featured a lot of good talent. I've been watching some AWA.

You know why this angle has lost my interest? Look at the proposed booking for last Monday. Now, I completely believe that was something they seriously considered. Prior to last Monday's Raw, I would've at least given some thought to it being some kind of IWC swerve to help the angle along. It's just so out there and unreasonable for the angle that it seems like a joke. Hey, gee, what could we tell the IWC about this angle to makes them go apoplectic? I know, I know... when Punk comes back, he gets pedigree'd by HHH, loses the title to Del Rio, and gets unceremoniously dumped from the angle entirely.

It reads like a parody of how we think WWE operates. It's that bad.

Hey, for what it's worth, my fantasy wrestling set-up on Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 is going well. And, uh, keeping me more entertained than actual wrestling right now. That made me sad to realize.

Whether the man buries people or not, let's at least not overlook the fact that getting a match with HHH at Mania is a big deal.

The more interesting point this brings up, though, is that if the plan is in place for HHH to face Punk, where does that leave Taker? They seemed to be setting up a rematch between HHH and Taker with that speech HHH made on the Raw after Mania, so finding out there's a totally different plan is kind of a shock.

Really... who faces Taker at WM28? Cena is busy with Rock. HHH is tentatively busy with Punk. This is very likely Taker's final match, since it basically feels like he's retired already and they'll trot him out one more time to get that 20-0. As a result, it needs to be something suitably epic, since Del Rio vs. Taker doesn't feel like it'd cut it, you know? Given the current roster, my booking would be offering Jericho as much money as he wanted to come back for the Taker match at WM28. He's one of the few guys that I think could give Taker a proper send-off, complete with a great build and the ability to make anyone look really good in ring. Depending on how broken down Taker is, that may be a key factor. They managed to cover it up by making the HHH match a no DQ, but I'd rather not see them go back to that well again. Plus, there's always the added benefit that Taker and Jericho never had a match at Mania, which is another thing I'd like them to avoid this year.

Michael Tarver is delusional as fuck. I mean in terms of his self-evaluation of his promos and potential, not the Cena-breaking-his-arm conspiracy.

“Family im a baaad man YAHWEH NISSI ,, soooooooo stop me if you heard this one for starters I went from sleeping in a car to being on 2 Wrestlemanias fun fact there soooooo this guy has a dream job but an adv he meets his dream girl assn db on his dream job he was to be away From his kids so he makes it work while spendiing 3 years trying to get his daughter to tampa to live him away from addcict mother

“Now during this dream job he fights trains show crazy potential on the mic regarded as one the best ever in developmental so he moves on ,,,To nxt and raw where he is burried on tv treated like trash back stage to the point where a certain top superstar takes notice of this Guy building steam with his promos back stage and begins to feel threatend so one night on a ppv the champ purposely fractures this Persons arm with a chair and after.the match backstage laughs in his face about it and walks off you know im talking about you just cant see See him anyway he takes out threats to his throne back stage to the point where the even get released from their dream job and ironicaly This guys dream wife leaves him tthreatening to take everything from him a month later on the se day his daughter was to move in with With them now his daughter is hysterical beyond help and has to be sent back home after three years of fighting and one week there

“Hmmmmm makes you wonder is it worth it because in your opinions WHO DO YOU KNOW WHO IS BAD.ENOUGH TO SCARE A BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY So I saw to all things mention ME ,,,,,,,,IM THAT BAD MAN ,,,,,,,,,,,YAHWEH NISSI”

Man, do you remember the days when released wrestlers didn't have an outlet to air their feelings? I miss that.

Either way, yeah, he's delusional, but it's not like the industry doesn't sort of encourage that mentality. How many guys going into the business are told that if they don't believe they should be out there headlining WrestleMania then they shouldn't get into wrestling in the first place? Problem is, you tell someone like Michael Tarver that, they honestly begin to believe that they *should* be headlining WrestleMania. Most released wrestlers do, sadly.

I mean, when was the last time a released guy spoke out and it was some cohesive, well-written statement about how they won the European title, which is okay since they always knew they were lower mid-card at best?

It's always conspiracy theories and being held back. Always.

Though, I do admittedly like the idea of Cena intentionally breaking Tarver's arm and then laughing in his face about it. I sort of want to believe Cena does shit like that.

I guess that is why they no longer needed Hardcore Holly around. Cena is his own backstage enforcer.

Refresh my memory - how did WCW do this?
WCW did many angles where wrestlers were allowed to blend the lines between reality and fiction, which included allowing people to write their own promos. They've done that since 1995.

I never thought it was real for a moment, but the point was that I could pretend it was, and therefore enjoy it. I do possess the ability to suspend my disbelief that I was able to thoroughly enjoy Punk's title match at MITB. I don't possess the ability to dumb myself down to mouth-breathing inbred WWE Universe™ member that thinks the angles they write and run are compelling television and fascinating feuds.
While there's a difference in knowing that something isn't high quality, you're still enjoying shit just like everyone else.

Let's not pretend that WWE didn't raise the bar for a few weeks in the quality of the program (also note that it was rooted in letting a wrestler cut their own promo without scripting it for them).
If this was considered raising the bar in quality, your expectations were insanely low.

WWE showed a glint of potential. They also shut it down as quickly as it glinted.
This is about the only thing I agree with. Deviating from the cookie-cutter norm was atleast refreshing, even if it was extra apparent that it was a detour on the way back to Boringville.

[quote name='davo1224']WCW did many angles where wrestlers were allowed to blend the lines between reality and fiction, which included allowing people to write their own promos. They've done that since 1995.[/quote]

Can you give me an example? What WWE did with Punk walking away with the belt was not the same as the "New Blood" versus "Millionaire's Club" tripe. I watched WCW for a while in the 90's, but honestly, about the same time Nitro started, I tuned out almost entirely.

I can *kinda* buy what you're getting at with the way WCW booked Nash and Hall coming in. The way they avoided giving them names for the longest time, the way they mocked WCW slogans, the way they came in from the crowd, etc.

While there's a difference in knowing that something isn't high quality, you're still enjoying shit just like everyone else.

If this was considered raising the bar in quality, your expectations were insanely low.

I want to be a wrestling fan. For as much as I despise the modern wrestling product without respect to company, I want to like it. I want it to be fresh. If I want to enjoy it, I can't fold my arms and crab ass about how everything is scripted. Of fucking *course* it is. If it's on air, it's part of the show. It's stupid to act like it sucks because it's scripted. I'm fine with something being scripted, I'm not fine with the writing being trash. And Punk's promos weren't trash. They were solid, they were controversial, they helped generate interest in a match, in a PPV, in a feud. They, in short, did their job.

I'm not sure what your point is, unless you want to dislike everything about professional wrestling. I found something that, for a few weeks, was satisfying, sensible, and created tension and uncertainty. If you want to treat this as the same kind of writing as "Mr McMahon's limo blows up," or "John Cena faces insurmountable odds yet again," or whatever the vanilla-flavor-of-the-month is, you're not fooling me. You're taking the post-hoc smug smart mark "I knew it was fake the whole time, and it sucks" approach to wrestling. Like Pee-Wee Herman falling off his bike, you meant to do that.

So, what about modern wrestling do you like? What angles? What wrestlers? What feuds? What matters to you in this day and age that you're so jaded not even Punk's angle worked for you?

[quote name='mykevermin']So, what about modern wrestling do you like? What angles? What wrestlers? What feuds? What matters to you in this day and age that you're so jaded not even Punk's angle worked for you?[/QUOTE]

You know what's coming, right?

**insert random praise for obscure indie fed here**

*sigh*

Yep.

The angle between Jimmy "Hot Stuff" McDipshit and Asshole Dragon in Benton, Iowa's Bumfuck Pro Wrestling was the best thing he's seen since Shimokuya Toriyama versus Tsumaranai Otoko in All Japan.

Id say in answer to Myke's question about the "blurring the lines" storylines, there are 2 of those that really stick out in my mind, but honestly neither come from WWE.

The first one was the Scott Hall drunk incidents back in WcW. Those really did blur some lines. Seeing a drunk ass man stumble to the ring and then puke on Bischoff on a live Monday night show was a big "WTF.... did I rally just see that?" moment for me. Blurring the lines because at that time it was pretty well known about his heavy partying. They even carried it on for a while as well with it resulting into a real suspension and rehab stint for him.

The other blurred line storyline that sticks out for me is the very recent Angle/Jerret series. Everyone knows the real life story of Jeff/Kurt/Karen love triangle by now, but to take it even further they involved the kids. That for me kind of took shit to far, being a single dad who has had to fight to get custody and all. Some of the shit for my taste not only blurred lines, but crossed some of them as well.

I honestly can't think of much of anything WWE ever did that blurred those lines. Trips banging the corpse of Kane's dead love interest? Nope. Not realistic. Undertaker and Jake the Snake ruining Macho Mans wedding reception? Not believable due to who the hell thinks that Anyone would actually record and then play for a national audiance 2 madmen and a cobra attacking people?
Honestly, the closest I could give WWE credit in doing this type of thing was the Big Boss Man/ Big Show feud that revolved around Show's dad passing away. Now, this was a pretty good storyline they were doing until they totally jumped the shark with the whole Big Show sledding on his dads casket as Boss Man drove off with it. That shit just took the whole storyline and shit all over it. Watch the angle go from good to WTF right here for yourself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyJ3T5dwOOo

That being said, The whole Punk storyline for me actually was interesting and pretty fresh. However, in all honesty, anyone who really thought that there wasnt going to be at least a 95% chance of him winning that title and walking with it was kidding themselves. That being said, I do feel they are rushing his return. It really should have been stretched at least a month, if not longer if at all possible.

[quote name='Spyder187']That being said, The whole Punk storyline for me actually was interesting and pretty fresh. However, in all honesty, anyone who really thought that there wasnt going to be at least a 95% chance of him winning that title and walking with it was kidding themselves. That being said, I do feel they are rushing his return. It really should have been stretched at least a month, if not longer if at all possible.[/QUOTE]

If history has taught us anything, it was that there was a 95% chance John Cena was going to overcome insurmountable odds and retain.

[quote name='Trakan']If history has taught us anything, it was that there was a 95% chance John Cena was going to overcome insurmountable odds and retain.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly why we/you/us/them should/could/did expect Punk to at least win, then face some sort of cash in challenge at the very end of the PPV. This all going down at MitB kind of made it obvious, and many people even suggested that scenario. WWE even booked it that way, but gave everyone what they really wanted by making Punk look strong and ko'ing Albert of the River and running off with the belt in the manner he did. Then with the photos that got onto TMZ it made it look even better. Then came the whole "invasion of Comic-con" which rather than try to put himself over, he asked about Zack Ryder, which is something else everyone has been harping on. I really give whoever the creative powers behind all of that sincere props.

The big question is honestly going to be where and what do they do and go from here.

They're going to give Cena the belt and let their creativity take a powder until February 2012.

EDIT: Okay, WCW putting the title on David Arquette was disrespectful as anything in professional wrestling. So it's sad to see TNA has not learned from history, and decided to put the belt on Jim Carrey.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Spyder187']Then came the whole "invasion of Comic-con" which rather than try to put himself over, he asked about Zack Ryder, which is something else everyone has been harping on. I really give whoever the creative powers behind all of that sincere props.[/QUOTE]

Are you serious bro? I've been saying for quite some time now that the Zack Ryder internet champion/youtube shit is a gimmick. You really think a guy like Zack Ryder knows shit about video editing? C'mon now. Matt Hardy I could believe, but Zack Ryder? Have you read the shit he posts on Twitter? He's in character, always. WWWYKI.

Also:

[quote name='mykevermin']EDIT: Okay, WCW putting the title on David Arquette was disrespectful as anything in professional wrestling. So it's sad to see TNA has not learned from history, and decided to put the belt on Jim Carrey.[/QUOTE]

C'mon man... PacMan Jones. That's it. That's all you've gotta say.

[quote name='mykevermin']Can you give me an example? What WWE did with Punk walking away with the belt was not the same as the "New Blood" versus "Millionaire's Club" tripe. I watched WCW for a while in the 90's, but honestly, about the same time Nitro started, I tuned out almost entirely.[/QUOTE]
I'm glad you've acknowledged that you don't have much knowledge to base it on. In regards to the example you were able to pull from WCW, I find using that one to be particularly interesting. How is it not the same concept of what happened here? Again, the difference is that you like Punk and that made the storyline better for you.

I'm not sure what your point is, unless you want to dislike everything about professional wrestling.
My point is that you can't come through with sweeping generalizations about how people who are optimistic about WWE, also lack dignity. They're in the same boat as you even if you want to believe they are not. Your moment of hope wasn't due to something groundbreaking or revolutionary. It's simply something that hasn't been done in wrestling for a long time and it involved someone you like. There's nothing wrong with the people who continue to watch because they're hoping it doesn't fall flat.

I found something that, for a few weeks, was satisfying, sensible, and created tension and uncertainty. If you want to treat this as the same kind of writing as "Mr McMahon's limo blows up," or "John Cena faces insurmountable odds yet again," or whatever the vanilla-flavor-of-the-month is, you're not fooling me.
But how is it not? In the same way that everyone knew Vince wasn't actually blown up, everyone knew Punk wasn't leaving with the belt. What they did with Punk wasn't smart or high brow which you'd like to think of it as. Granted, it's not so flagrant in how much it insults the average person's intelligence, but the situation wasn't thought provoking either.

You're taking the post-hoc smug smart mark "I knew it was fake the whole time, and it sucks" approach to wrestling. Like Pee-Wee Herman falling off his bike, you meant to do that.
Except that I'm not. I'm just trying to show you that you're foolish by taking that approach yourself. Nothing happened here except you being interested in an angle and you playing the same game you're accusing me of. No one thought this was going to be a time of significant change in WWE, or atleast I hope not.

So, what about modern wrestling do you like? What angles? What wrestlers? What feuds? What matters to you in this day and age that you're so jaded not even Punk's angle worked for you?
The last thing I actually followed regularly was TNA before they moved to Thursdays. The last feud I was interested in was Batista/Undertaker heading into whatever WrestleMania was in 2007. I just follow wrestling now with a very passing interest. Seeing Punk do what Brian Pillman used to do sixteen years ago, but more cheeky and barely qualifying as controversial, wasn't going to suddenly bring me back into the fold. Punk is a great heel but he greatly benefits from a strong smark following, wrestling's current stale state, and pro wrestling having been a literal open book since the Benoit murders. I give him credit for getting anyone seriously interested in WWE again but when business has been run the exact same way for five years, I know he isn't going to be the major change.

In this angle, Punk was no good as a heel, because he wasn't saying things to offend the crowd. He started out as a heel in this, but you can't reasonably say that he has been booked as one since his "suspension" a few weeks back.

Good wrestling causes you to believe. Which requires good wrestlers and a good angle/story arc/whatever you want to call it. Watching Impact, there's so much "truth" to the segment that had Velvet Skye (or was that Madison Rayne, I swear to christ I get those two confused), Miss Jackie, Traci Brooks and ODB. A tale of jealousy, of being fired, of being overlooked, etc. But the segment was poorly written, acted out, and produced. Containing elements of truth or not, there was no hook.

Kharma kicking the fuck out of the "divas™" every week was great to see. Kharma coming out and saying "I'm pregnant, I'll be back, this is all I've ever wanted to do" may be closer to reality, but I'm more interested in the former Kharma.

I found an angle interesting because it transcended the same tired WWE writing. Punk used trigger words and phrases, acknowledging Cabana, calling Cena a kiss-ass, calling Laurenitis a "yes-man," saying Vince doesn't respect "wrestling." Those phrases represent WWE taking potshots at itself in the product, acknowledging common criticisms of its own product. That's not how WWE operates, as the product was (and is) teeming with corporate-spun magic bullshit like the "did you know?" screens that show WWE jerking itself off on your tv screen.

This is the same company that, with *no irony* whatsoever, started the "Stand Up For WWE" campaign last year.

I'm under no delusion that this is all an angle, and I've maintained it all along. But as an angle, it's far more exciting than virtually anything WWE has done in years.

It's not simply the person. I think Christian is an incredible wrestler and someone I've enjoyed watching since well before his magnificent heel turn at WM20. But his WWE run since returning from TNA has been (1) full of title runs, (2) lacking in memorable moments in spite of #1. His feud with Orton is awful, it's boring, and worst of all, it's not over yet.

My cynicism for the Punk angle now is rooted in the recognition that WWE killed off what made it fresh, what made it feel dangerous, what made it feel like something that wasn't "John Cena conquers insurmountable odds versus ".

The idea of "real champ" versus "not real champ" is not new. We all know that it's been done before plenty of times. Part of the point in having the "ooooooooo, the champ versus the champ for the belt!" have some gravity and meaning to it is to establish both individuals as having rightful claims to the title. WWE ruined that by not even giving Cena 30 seconds to celebrate his title win before Punk came in to issue the challenge.

There was room for optimism in the Punk angle before because of the potential they could have built there in letting Punk run around with the title, causing a ruckus at house shows, showing up in a few indy feds, etc. They showed they were willing to do that...for 8 days. Don't be so cynical that you think there's nothing impressive or rare or dangerous in having the WWE champ not appear at WWE shows and instead show up elsewhere.

This angle did have potential, no matter how jaded or blase you are about the whole ordeal. You're being willfully ignorant if you think it's just the person who is in the angle, otherwise I'd be in love with everything in pro wrestling (other wrestlers I like who are booked in bullshit, nothing, or a combo of the two: Ezekiel Jackson, Heath Slater, Beer Money, Bully Ray).

Saying that Punk benefits from wrestling being in a "stale state" reinforces that you're truly being insincere with acting like this angle is more of the same.

Not to mention now with the WWE bring in soap opera writers... yeah, expect wrestling to become an lesser priority then it already is in the company. Yeah the WWE might throw "the mutant freak marks" an bone every so often such as that near all wrestling RAW after Money In The Bank but that's going to be rare since the WWE thinks people are going to want shitty backstage skits with Keith Stone and the Bella Twins.

Oh and more "WWE Did You Know" propaganda bullshit "facts" that instead of using that time to mention cool stuff about wrestlers and getting people excited about wrestling... nope instead its fucking ego stroking of the WWE "beating" NASCAR.com in web page hits that only causes most people page the age of nine or mentality handicapped people will just roll their eyes at.

How many days until ROH is back on TV again?

Impact thoughts -

The Angle-Hogan opening was just weird because it came out of nowhere. They've had no real issue, and yet Angle is somehow very angry at Hogan. Then he said that it was because Hogan was blowing up his phone, which would be fine if they'd perhaps MENTIONED this on the show before instead of it coming out of nowhere. Then they just yammered back and forth for eons before Hogan said that he carried all the territories on his back (he was Ric Flair?) and that Angle was apparently in diapers when he was a teen. Angle basically did everything but announce Hogan-Sting for BFG, and retconned the whole "Angle never beat Sting" deal into "he never beat him clean". Nice of them to spend half of the build lying, and then the second half being oddly specific about things. This only took ten minutes but felt like a half hour. Just insufferable.

Instead of a recap of this, or perhaps ANYTHING THAT HAS HAPPENED IN THE PAST MONTH, they spent a minute covering the fantasy game, then showed new rankings for the BFG series, which now have number rankings on top of them. This showed, I think, a five-way tie for fourch which had me laughing and then Tenay talked about MISTER INTENSITY GUNNER, who came out to the same shitty theme and entrance video that scream goof. RVD won and the match was okay, but nothing special, and somewhat sloppy at times. Gunner has something, but they need to change up the presentation with him if they ever want him to be more than a mid-card guy. Also, NAME IS fuckING FINISHER. Can't use F5, fine, use T3 - it's the name they used for Tritan's version of it, just use it. Sting showed up in an AWESOME red and black suit getup. Reminded me of a male Harley Quinn.

Then Immortal bitched to themselves until Sting came in and said that he's the new network exec and NOW he has power. Not when he won the title, which apparently gave someone ALL the power before. Nope, it wasn't until he became a network exec when he could make an Angle-Anderson main event. Joker Sting was great here. When they came back, Kendrick was spouting shit and I was ready for Abyss to gut him. Shelley's translation didn't help, neither did him calling the X division MMA, and not even Aries could try and save this. Then Abyss came out to swear vengeance and Sting made ANOTHER announcement. Second one in maybe five minutes, which is good to establish the Network exec character (that needs the world title...why?), but is also overkill. At least it was short.

They finally announced the Morgan deal - he's got a torn pec and cut easily his best promo talking about just what this tournament and the world title meant for him. Then Tenay acted all goofy to set up an AWESOME Bully Ray promo about how he's not worried about Crimson because he's playing Angry Birds, and on Saturday, he'll beat AJ in Texas just like he did in the LMS match - by kicking his ass. Which he literally did. This ruled. The match was mostly Ray on offense, and he lost basically because Crimson won via a lucky Sky High, so the loss didn't help Crimson much, but didn't hurt Bully, who is teflon and should be the world champion now. Crimson's new shirt is the best thing about him, and it's a bad TNA version of a Wal-Mart MMA shirt. A Hogan CLEARANCE-MANIA ad aired, so despite RAC sponsoring TNA before, they didn't even go with a TNA PPV tie-in and instead went with a WWE one. Hogan can still tear his shirt, throw things resembling punches, and I'm guessing can still do a back rake. BRING ON THE BFG MAIN EVENT, BROTHER!

Tara and Winter had an okay match which Winter won after a low blow, then TNA went to a Kendrick video set to Winter's theme. Then, in possibly the comedy highlight of the show up to this point, a BBW dating site ad was shown. Just...wow. Was there no film that needed advertising? Is Spike THAT hard up for ads for this show? Kendrick-Abyss in the Ultimate X seemed like a waste of the stip, which now features blue cables. Abyss beat the shit out of Kendrick, then was scared. What a killer heel he is. He has no fear of nail-covered boards, barb wire, tacks, or flames, but climbing up something scares him. That's believable. Abyss then shook the structure, which TNA indicated by having the camera guy move back and forth while ONE GUY, literally one dude chanted THIS IS AWESOME. Stuff happened, then Abyss lifted him up for the chokeslam which allowed Kendrick to grab the belt, because you see, Kendrick is a short midget guy who couldn't actually beat Abyss - Abyss had to basically beat himself. Another match, like Ray-Crimson and actually, Tara-Winter, that didn't really help anyone. The post-match highlights revolved around Abyss kicking Kendrick's ass. BOY DID THIS EVER HELP THE X DIVISION!

Velvet and Traci bitched about something for maybe five seconds before fading out really awkwardly. Why can't anyone in this company get along? Anderson hates Bully Ray after being in Immortal for a month and Traci saves Velvet's ass last week and they're already arguing. I'm shocked they didn't just call each other bitches - gotta save something for next week, I guess. EY did a skit with an agent about becoming an actor, and mentioning that he had to sell a jewel from the TV Title to pay for his car payment. The TV Champion is too poor to pay for his own car. Wow. Then Traci, Velvet, and ODB cut seemingly hours of promos on each other to build to...something. They announced nothing and in the end, everyone was in the exact same position they were in before it, so why do it? Well, other than for the mislead of Velvet talking all the fists she's taken to the...face.

Sting talked to Fortune about the basically six-on-one cage match he made with Angle versus Anderson, and then talked with Bischoff about faking being the exec, and used a bird to hold Eric at bay. So Eric Bischoff doesn't fear Kendrick or the entire X division, but ONE BIRD scares him. Then Tenay said that neither of the matches Sting made were official, so they cut to the main event cage match that Sting made that was for some reason, still going on despite the man who made the match exposing himself as a fraud. Match was fine. Anderson's best in a long time, and I'll give that credit to Angle, who was able to carry Anderson to his best career match ever a year or so ago. Once again, Anderson's finisher was demoted to just a transitional move, and that's kinda okay if you've got a backup, but he doesn't. He also took the ankle lock for a minute and then no-sold it to do clotheslines and climb the cage, so yeah, the ankle lock was kinda pointless.

Then Immortal came down to even the odds as their partner was at a six-on-one disadvantage, then the Mexicans came out and thankfully didn't cut a promo. I liked Bully using the camera hole to grab Angle. Didn't so much like Anderson and Bully bitching about the chair, minus a "fuck" slipping through. Then Sting and Angle had a little chat in the middle of the ring to close the show. Okay ending there. Sting's new red and black suit combo looks really awesome, but...yeah...the show as a whole sucked and really didn't help much of anything or anyone. Angle wasn't helped by beating Anderson, Kendrick slipped on a banana peel and beat a big guy again, yada yada. I mostly liked Joker Sting tonight, which was a pleasant surprise since he was all over the show.

Screens -

The ads on this show...

I feel ya, Stinger...

Quotes -
Tenay - OUR IMPACT WRESTLING CAMERAS HAVE CAPTURED KURT ANGLE, AND IT LOOKS LIKE HE’S HEADED INTO THE IMPACT ZONE! AT HARDCORE JUSTICE, ANGLE CAN ONCE AGAIN BECOME WORLD CHAMPION IF HE DEFEATS THE INSANE ICON!
Angle - Hogan, come out here right now so we can end this once and for all!
Tenay - End what?
Taz - Hogan’s running the shit along with Bischoff.
Angle - YOU’VE BEEN BLOWING UP MY PHONE, BUT I GUESS YOU DIDN’T TAKE THE HINT. THERE’S NOTHING APPEALING TO ME ABOUT IMMORTAL. What I see is a bunch ass-kissers led by two of the biggest scumbags in the world - Bischoff and YOU. I’m gonna beat Sting but it’s for the RIGHT REASONS. The world title, because that’s why I’m in the business, and I never really beat Sting before - without outside interference. I WILL BEAT HIM, AND PROVE THAT I’M THE BEST IN THE WORLD! Do you know how it feels to be the best in the world, Hulk?
Hogan - THAT’S WHY YOU CALL ME OUT? TO ASK HOGAN IF HE KNOWS WHAT IT’S LIKE TO BE THE BEST? YEAH, I KNOW WHAT IT’S LIKE TO BE THE BEST! When there was no Stinger, no Morgan, no RVD, no Kurt Angle, No Beer Money, EVEN WHEN THERE WAS ANDRE, I CARRIED THE BUSINESS ON MY BACK! I TOOK EVERY SMALL TERRITORY ON MY BACK UNTIL I TEARNED THIS BUSINESS INTO AN INTERNATIONAL PHENOMENON BROTHER! Now, if you wanna talk about knowing what it’s like to have a bunch of 16 year old punks because they aspire to be me, yes! In ‘84, when you were pooping on your diapers dude, I was packing in young punks like you who bought a ticket to see me. I KNOW WHAT IT’S LIKE TO BE THE DAMN BEST! WHEN YOU CALLED ME OUT, I THOUGHT YOU’D CALL ME OUT FOR A HIGHER LEVEL. I DON’T CARE WHAT YOU’RE MAKING NOW, OR THEN, AND YA DAMN SURE CAN’T EAT THE GOLD MEDALS - THE KIDS CAN’T ANYWAY, BUT I GIVE YOU AN OFFER TO MAKE MORE MONEY, AND THIS IS WHAT YOU DO? YOU DISRESPECT ME!?
Angle - The fact I respect you is the reason why I’m not kicking your ass. I’M NOT MR. ANDERSON, I CAN’T BE BOUGHT. WHEN I SIGNED WITH DIXIE, I SAID I’D BE THE BEST WRESTLER, AND I TAKE PRIDE IN THAT. I PAID TO SEE YOU BECAUSE YOU WERE GREAT. SOMETHING DIFFERENT. SOMETHING NO ONE HAD EVER SEEN BEFORE. NOW, 25 YEARS BEFORE THE NAME HULK HOGAN BRINGS A WHOLE NEW MEANING BECAUSE YOU CAN’T GO ANYMORE!
Hogan - YOU’RE CROSSING THE LINE INTO SOME REAL DANGEROUS TERRITORY, AND IF YOU THINK I’M WRESTLING AGAIN, I’M NEVER GONNA WRESTLE AGAIN. I HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE - AFTER 30 YEARS OF BEING THE BEST WRESTLER IN THE WORLD, I HAVE TO MAKE A DECISION - LIFE OR NO LIFE, I CHOSE QUALITY OF LIFE. IF YER GONNA SAY SOMETHING ABOUT MY WIFE OR KIDS, I’LL PROVE THAT I’M NO FLUKE. YOU’VE NEVER BEATEN STING THE KURT ANGLE WAY, AND MAYBE THE REASON YOU’RE TRAINING FOR THE OLYMPICS, IS CUZ YA NEVER PINEND THE MAN. MAYBE THE JUDGES LIKED THE KID WITH A BROKEN NECK. IF YOU WANNA FIGHT ME OVER MY PRIDE, WE’RE GETTING CLOSE TO SEEING THAT HAPPEN NOW MY BROTHER!
Angle - Sting was right - I LIT A FIRE UNDER YOUR ASS. You’re right - I WANNA GO BACK TO THE OLYMPICS. THE OLDER WE GET, THE MORE THE FIRE BURNS. YOU CAN STILL GO, BUT YOU NEED TO PROVE THAT TO YOURSELF.
Hogan - JUST TALK STRAIGHT TO ME! What are ya trying to say?
Angle - You wanna pay me to take out Sting - WHY DON’T YOU TAKE OUT STING!? Every great warrior has one great fight left in ‘em.. PROVE YOU CAN DO IT AND DON’T CALL ME AGAIN!
Someone - Mr. Bischoff, YOU GOT A LETTER FROM THE NETWORK!
Bischoff - WHAT!? PAIN IN THE ASS…
Tenay - IT’S IMMORTAL’S MISTER INTENSITY, GUNNER!
Tenay - GUNNER SWEEPS THE LEG OF RVD!
Tenay - IT’S THE MOVE WE’VE SEEN GUNNER USE TO GET SO MANY VICTORIES WITH AS OF LATE!
Bischoff - Abyss, pay special attention - DEAR MR. HOGAN AND BISCHOFF, THIS LETTER IS TO INFORM YOU OF THE RECENT SUCCESS OF THE DESTINATION X PPV, WE EXPECT YOU TO REBUILD AND REBRAND THE X DIVISION! DO YOU UNDERSTAND, ABYSS! DO YOU REMEMBER DESTINATION X!
Ray - THEY’RE ALL MIDGETS!
Hogan - I DON’T CARE ABOUT THE WRESTLING OR THE SHOW - THE ONLY THING I CARE ABOUT IS CUTTING KURT ANGLE’S THROAT!
Ray - I’LL DO IT…I‘LL VOLUNTEER.., Anderson to do it.
Anderson - YOU’RE A BULLY!
Ray - If you’re scared, we can have Karen do it.
Sting - I GOT A CAGE! Man, nobody does bully better than you. Jeff, hola! Ya still pissed off? Makes two of us! You’re probably concerned that my red doesn’t match, it clashes.
Karen - You’re crazy.
Sting - Thanks, Karen. In recent days, my relationship with the network has only intensified - I’M NOW THE NETWORK EXEC!
Karen - THERE’S NO WAY THEY’D PUT A LUNATIC IN CHARGE!
Ray - YOU GOT MAKEUP!
Sting - You’ll be in a match with Angle - IN A CAGE!
Ray - PERFECT! NOW HE CAN’T RUN!
Sting - GET IT TOGETHER! ARE WE A TEAM OR NOT!? Fortune is gonna be around the ring just in case you try any funny business.
Hogan - YOU DON’T HAVE THE POWER!
Sting - I do for now!
Shelley - Jerry Lynn, Low-Ki, Daniels, Samoa Joe, ALEX SHELLEY, BRIAN KENDRICK - WE PUT THE X DIVISION ON THE MAP! THE X DIVISION IS ABOUT HYBRID WRESTLING, MMA, AND HIGH-FLYING! AND YET HERE YOU ARE PULLING TIGHTS AND GOUGING EYES! Play by our rules, YOU DOUCHEBAG!
Aries - I’d like to say Brian, it was nice fo ya to dress up for the occasion. You’re saying if I don’t play by your rules or I can’t play it all, so you wanna play with yourselves? I played by your code of ethics to secure my contract and now that I’m here, guess what? WE’RE PLAYING BY MY RULES! I’ve only got one rule - WIN AT ALL COSTS! You come out with your hybrid style - YOU’RE JUST TRYING TO PLEASE THE FANS. I’ve got years of MOTYCs, and I’ve got five star matches, BUT I WANT A FIVE STAR BANK ACCOUNT. I’M HERE TO MAKE MONEY AND WIN TITLES. I’M NOT JUST THE BEST IN IMPACT WRESTLING, BUT I MIGHT BE THE GREATEST MAN WHO EVER LIVED!
Kendrick - THE ENERGY HAS MADE IT SO I AM X DIVISION CHAMPION! THE ENERGY WILL NOT ALLOW THE X TITLE TO BECOME YOUR MONIKER! ARIES, YOU HAVE TERMITES IN YOUR SOUL!
Shelley - TAKE YOUR FIVE STAR MATCHES AND SHOVE THEM UP YOUR ASS! YOU RUINED MY MATCH FOR THE TITLE, AND THE X DIVISION WANTS TO PUSH THE X DIVISION TO THE MOON AND AT HJ, I GET MY REMATCH AGAINST KENDRICK AND YOU IN A 3-WAY DANCE!
Abyss - AS MUCH AS THE NETWORK THINKS THEY RUN THIS PLACE, THE REALITY IS THAT HOGAN AND BISCHOFF CALL THE SHOTS HERE! AS A RESULT OF THAT, HOGAN AND BISCHOFF HAVE GIVEN ME MY REMATCH FOR THE X TITLE AND IT’S TONIGHT! BRIAN, I’M GONNA DO WHAT I SHOULDA DONE AT D-X! I’M GONNA TAKE THAT HUNK OF METAL AND KILL THE X DIVISION!
Sting - Excuse me, am I on? MONSTER, ACCORDING TO THE NETWORK, I’VE GOT MORE STROKE THAN HOGAN AND BISCHOFF COMBINED. THAT MATCH YOU HAD WITH KENDRICK, WAS A HECK OF A MATCH, SO I THOUGHT I GOTTA SEE IT AGAIN, BUT WE’RE GONNA MAKE A TWEAK. WE’LL FIND OUT IF MONSTERS ARE AFRAID OF HEIGHTS IN AN ULTIMATE X MATCH! TATA FOR NOW!
Morgan - I tore my right pec and have no choice but to pull out of the tourney. Nine years without an injury. And here comes the BFG Tourney. No politics. All ya gotta do is win. So when the doc tells me I have a torn right pec….woah. My world ended. IT’S NOT BULLSHIT. IT’S REAL. THE WORLD TITLE ISN’T JUST SOME TITLE, IT’S THE REASON I’M IN THIS. IT’S MY OXYGEN TANK. I DON’T WANT A WORLD TITLE, I NEED THAT WORLD TITLE!
Tenay - BOY, WHAT A TOUGH BREAK FOR THE BLUEPRINT MATT MORGAN!
Ray - WHO!? CRIMSON!? I’m on my cell phone playing Angry Birds and you think I’m worried about CRIMSON!? I’M GONNA IMPOSE MY WILL ON CRIMSON, PUT MY SEVEN POINTS ON THE BOARD AND BEAT ‘EM WHEN I WANNA BEAT ‘EM. Speaking of beating people, AJ, YOU AND ME ON SATURDAY! I’M THE GUY THAT KICKED YOUR ASS IN THE LAST MAN STANDING! AND THAT’S WHAT I’M GONNA DO - OKEY DOKEY! KNOW WHY I SAY OKEY DOKEY!? CUZ I CAN!
Ray - TONIGHT, I GET TO BEAT UP A YOUNG BOY!
Tenay - With a winning streak that has gone over seven months, Crimson is no longer flying under the radar!
Bischoff - I WANNA TALK TO THE NETWORK! WHADYA MEAN THEY’LL TRY AND TALK TO ME!? THEY THINK IT’S A FRICKIN JOKE. THEY MAKE A LUNATIC A NETWORK EXEC?! THIS IS INSANE! I’LL TALK SLOW SO YA UNDERSTAND. GET THE NETWORK ON THE PHONE BY THE END OF THE NIGHT OR YOU’LL BE UNEMPLOYED!
Tenay - CAN YOU IMAGINE?! ON THE SAME IMPACT WRESTLING BROADCAST - A CAGE AND ULTIMATE X MATCH!
Taz - SHE’S GOT WINTER ALL SPREAD OUT AND TIED UP!
Taz - Winter mounting Tara.
Tenay - Low blow mule kick!
Taz - How does that work? Equipment situation?
Taz - Kendrick got hit by a big back elbow by a wall.
Taz - Abysss is damn near seven feet tall - us small guys gotta stick together.
Taz - Abyss needs to go back to the Art of War?
Tenay - Think there was anything in there about Ultimate X?
Taz - Might’ve been.
Tenay - SLICED BREAD!
Taz - THAT WAS A WHOLE LOAF!
EY - I see you looking at me - I wanna expand the brand! I saw that on Entourage. The jewels are all real - but I took this one out to make some car payments.
Joel Dean - Find an acting coach.
Traci- I know how you ladies like to crash a party form the backdoor, so tonight, I’m inviting you to come down to the ring!
Tenay - NEITHER OF THEM ARE UNDER CONTRACT!
Taz - Shocking that ODB has a flask in hand.
Traci - I didn’t wanna be caught in the middle, but I had no other choice. I WAS a knockout. I WAS THE ORIGINAL KNOCKOUT! ACTUALLY, IF IT WASN’T FOR ME, NONE OF YOU DAMES WOULD HAVE A JOB. Management thought I should move on. Did I compain? No. BECAUSE I KNOW HOW THE WRESTLING BUSINESS IS. BE THINKFUL THAT VELVET DIDN’T PRESS CHARGES, SO YOU DON’T HAVE RECORDS. Well, ODB, more on your records, THIS ENDS TONIGHT.
ODB - I’ll end it AFTER I PUT MY FOOT UP YOUR PLASTIC BARBIE DOLL ASS! WE DIDN’T LOSE OUR JOBS UNTIL THIS LITTLE THING RUBBED HER POOTIE TANG ON THE ROPES! AND THEN STARTING BRINGING IN VELVET CLONES. THIS DIVISION HAS TURNED INTO A HOOTERS INVITATIONAL WHICH LEAVES NO ROOM FOR THE ASS-KICKING WOMEN LIKE JACKIE AND MYSELF!
Velvet - Ladies, neither of you know me, BUT GROWING UP, I WASN’T VELVET SKY, I WAS THE RUNT. I WAS BULLIED AND BEATEN, ALL THROUGH HIGH SCHOOL I DIDN’T WANT TO GET ON THE BUS, BUT I HAD TO. I NEVER TOLD ANYONE. NOT EVEN MY MOTHER OR FATHER BECAUSE I DIDN’T WANT THEM TO WORRY ABOUT ME. But as I grew older, I told myself I’d never be the victim, but I’d fight for myself! AND THAT IS WHY, THAT’S WHY, THE DAY I CAME HERE WAS THE HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE. IT WAS THE GREATEST GIFT I EVER RECEIVED. AND I EARNED IT! Every pulled muscle and fist in my face. I EARNED MY SPOT. I DON’T YOU OR ANYONE ELSE AN APOLOGY FOR ANYTHING! I do understand how you feel. THIS IS A TOUGH BUSINESS TO SURVIVE. JACKIE, YOU’RE NO ROOKIE, GIRL. You know what I mean. IF YOU WANT YOUR JOBS HERE, JUST TRY ASKING. WHY NOT COME OUT AND SHOWCASE YOUR SKILLS THAN JUST ATTACKING ME LIKE TWO THUGS!? I CAN PROMISE THE BOTH OF YOU ONE THING - WE CAN COME OUT HERE AND FIGHT IT OUT AND I WILL ALWAYS BE THE LAST ONE STANDING! I’M DONE BEING ANYONE’S PUNCHING BAG!
Tenay - Velvet Sky offers advice on how to earn your spot.
Kaz - At Comic Con, there was a 400 pound Captain America. Now tonight, we’re gonna form a seal here and here, like Lombardi. And if someone from Immortal HAPPENS to get injured before our six-man…
Sting - Are you guys ready to keep the bad guys out of the cage!? YEAH! RIGHT ON!
AJ - What’s in the cage?
Sting - How’d ya know it was a cage!?
AJ - Looks like a cage.
Sting - IT’S SOMETHING FOR BISCHOFF. I’M GONNA GIVE IT TO BISCHOFF RIGHT NOW!
Sting - Eric, I’ve had this STUFF bottled up inside me this whole show! I KNOW THE TRUTH SETS FREE! I’M…I’M…NNNNNOOOOOTTTTT THE NETWORK EXEC! I’M NOT THE NETWORK EXEC. THE ULTIMATE X, AND CAGE MATCH…THEY WERE IN MY HEAD! I MADE IT ALL UP! I’M SO SORRY!
Eric - You’re nuttier than I thought.
Sting - WHAT BOGGLES MY MIND IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YA WHERE A NICE SUIT. FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS. PEOPLE LISTEN TO YA AND YA GET YOUR WAY. YOU GET STROKE! Remember the Birds? THEY JUST PECK, PECK, PECK AWAY AT YA! THEY’LL GO RIGHT FOR THE EYEBALLS!
Tenay - STING ISN’T THE NETWORK EXEC AFTER ALL!? SO THIS ISN’T AN OFFICIAL MATCH!?
Crowd - YOU SOLD OUT!
Tenay - THERE’S GERMAN NUMBER 3!
One Guy - THAT WAS THREE! THAT WAS THREE!
Anderson - DO YOUR FREAKIN JOB AND GET ME A STEEL CHAIR! GIVE ME THE fuckING CHAIR!
Sting - JUST TEN MORE DAYS, KURT! TEN MORE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Orton/Christian is beginning to strike me as more of a necessity right now...the only other faces on Smackdown are Zeke, Daniel Bryan, and I guess Justin Gabriel.

Where do they go if Christian wins?

Sheamus is supposedly turning face and he did interfere in about half of the Orton/Christian matches, so there's that.

[quote name='neocisco']I bet Sting is having the most fun he's had in a long time with this character change-up.[/QUOTE]

He looks like he is too. Good to see an older wrestler not resting on their name alone and willing to change it up.

[quote name='diddy310']Orton/Christian is beginning to strike me as more of a necessity right now...the only other faces on Smackdown are Zeke, Daniel Bryan, and I guess Justin Gabriel.

Where do they go if Christian wins?

Sheamus is supposedly turning face and he did interfere in about half of the Orton/Christian matches, so there's that.[/QUOTE]

Gabriel being in the top five of SD's faces is scary because he isn't over and actually is at about that level due to the terrible roster depth. There's more they can do with Christian as a heel champion - he can carry anyone to at least a good match, which Orton can't do. The crowd cares about his character, which isn't usually the case with Orton, whose character is just terrible as a face. I think they do one more Orton-Christian match, HOPEFULLY THE LAST ONE FOR A WHILE since they've dragged this feud out.

I think you can have Sheamus-Barrett at the PPV as a number 1 contender's match in a street fight after what happened on last week's show and then have Sheamus emerge as a face. He's really more of a face now than a heel, so the full turn will feel somewhat organic, and then you can run with Christian-Sheamus for a while until they get some roster depth or just strengthen the characters they have.

[quote name='mykevermin']So it's sad to see TNA has not learned from history, and decided to put the belt on Jim Carrey.[/QUOTE]

The idea of Joker Sting is pretty awful, but I have to say that Sting is taking this shit and running with it. He is doing a fantastic job with what he's been given.

[quote name='xilly']Are you serious bro? I've been saying for quite some time now that the Zack Ryder internet champion/youtube shit is a gimmick. You really think a guy like Zack Ryder knows shit about video editing? C'mon now. Matt Hardy I could believe, but Zack Ryder? Have you read the shit he posts on Twitter? He's in character, always. WWWYKI.[/QUOTE]

In watching Z! TLIS and reading some interviews with him a while back, he seems like a closet geek. Of course we're getting a gimmick on his internet show that's trying to get him over in WWE, but the guy repeatedly makes references to Princess Leia being his ideal girl.

Anyways, it's not like video editing is exactly hard these days, and I wouldn't call the production values on Z! TLIS amazing -- the majority (if not all of it) is filmed on a cell phone with weak transitions between shot. But that's part of its charm, it really does come off as a guy who, instead of sitting around backstage and complaining that he's never on TV, is actually doing something about it and finally getting some air time.

You make it sound like a guy who loves that he's even getting a shot in the business always being in character is a bad thing. Maybe I'm reading your post with the wrong tone, but it really sounds like you're annoyed that you're always seeing Zack Ryder, and never Matt Cardona.

[quote name='Genocidal']In watching Z! TLIS and reading some interviews with him a while back, he seems like a closet geek. Of course we're getting a gimmick on his internet show that's trying to get him over in WWE, but the guy repeatedly makes references to Princess Leia being his ideal girl.

Anyways, it's not like video editing is exactly hard these days, and I wouldn't call the production values on Z! TLIS amazing -- the majority (if not all of it) is filmed on a cell phone with weak transitions between shot. But that's part of its charm, it really does come off as a guy who, instead of sitting around backstage and complaining that he's never on TV, is actually doing something about it and finally getting some air time.

You make it sound like a guy who loves that he's even getting a shot in the business always being in character is a bad thing. Maybe I'm reading your post with the wrong tone, but it really sounds like you're annoyed that you're always seeing Zack Ryder, and never Matt Cardona.[/QUOTE]

No sir, not at all. I love what Zack Ryder is doing, but I don't buy any of it as being "him" at all. The Dolph Ziggler/Peter Venkman shots are one thing, but c'mon.. you think WWE would let him film during events and shit if he wasn't doing it with their blessing? I really don't think it's a cell phone, it's a bit better quality than that.. something more like a Flip HD camera like Matt Hardy uses. Maybe he does know a few things about editing, but some of the skits he does are really well done and I can't help but watch them knowing someone in WWE production is helping out.

[quote name='TheRock88']Looks like TNA is trying to cash in on Punk's popularity now too

http://www.impactwrestling.com/

It's not like his matches were even memorable to begin with when he was with them. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Also, Link for the Lazy (since it's the theme of the thread): http://www.impactwrestling.com/news/item/2865-Exclusive-CM-Punk-Is-Coming-To-TNAOnDemand-com

[quote name='xilly']No sir, not at all. I love what Zack Ryder is doing, but I don't buy any of it as being "him" at all. The Dolph Ziggler/Peter Venkman shots are one thing, but c'mon.. you think WWE would let him film during events and shit if he wasn't doing it with their blessing? I really don't think it's a cell phone, it's a bit better quality than that.. something more like a Flip HD camera like Matt Hardy uses. Maybe he does know a few things about editing, but some of the skits he does are really well done and I can't help but watch them knowing someone in WWE production is helping out.[/QUOTE]Quite possible. The only "evidence" I have of him using a phone is that's what it looked like when Cena walked by him and Stanford filming on Raw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4fRvqzUrcI

Watching it again, you're right, does look more like a Flip HD. In my mind, WWE has been behind the show in a "as long as it doesn't hurt Raw/Smackdown, do what you want" sort of manner. And Scott Stanford's been in TV a while -- it's not unreasonable to me that he'd have picked up a few things. Not being there though, it's all just speculation on my part, and I want to believe in a guy that manages to get himself over without TV time more than the alternative.

I remember seeing CM Punk on part of the Best of Raven in TNA DVD and yeah, he did not strike me as someone that was eventually going to do the things he's done in the past couple years. Although at that point, I hadn't seen any of his ROH or IWA Mid-South stuff.

Just readed this:

WWE reportedly offered CM Punk a five-year deal at one point. No word yet if what he ended up signing was for that long.

Regarding Punk and Vince McMahon, it's said that Punk now has Vince's ear when it comes to ideas. It was described as similar to Shawn Michaels year ago when he began moving up in the company and Vince would bounce ideas off Shawn, or Shawn would suggest ideas to Vince.

[quote name='Halo05']IWA Mid-South stuff.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. IWA Mid-South happened right here in my area (Louisville, New Albany, Corydon, Clarksville, Sellersburg are all within 20 minutes of each other.) It was bad enough when OVW was popular but with IWA you had a whole shit ton of retards running around trying to do backyard wrestling, and you could barely ever mention wrestling in public without meeting someone who "was a wrestler". I do not miss those days. at. all.

[quote name='Halo05']I remember seeing CM Punk on part of the Best of Raven in TNA DVD and yeah, he did not strike me as someone that was eventually going to do the things he's done in the past couple years. Although at that point, I hadn't seen any of his ROH or IWA Mid-South stuff.[/QUOTE]

This had me wondering what Stone Cold was like in the early days and I found this Youtube video of an early promo in his ECW days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV38FRJ6Gas&playnext=1&list=PL20953F9A3DE3F8FD

Great stuff. He definitely had it even in the early days. Its not often that a wrestler lives up to the bravado they put forth in their promos but I'd certainly say he did.

[quote name='xilly']Ugh. IWA Mid-South happened right here in my area (Louisville, New Albany, Corydon, Clarksville, Sellersburg are all within 20 minutes of each other.) It was bad enough when OVW was popular but with IWA you had a whole shit ton of retards running around trying to do backyard wrestling, and you could barely ever mention wrestling in public without meeting someone who "was a wrestler". I do not miss those days. at. all.[/QUOTE]

Heh. Most IWA-Mid South stuff I've seen is garbage to the nth degree but some guys did some good there, Punk among them.

That said, I'm pretty happy I didn't have to live in the midst of it.

Re: Steve Austin - His skill on the mic will perhaps have more legs to it compared to someone like The Rock. I miss both of them immensely but Austin didn't really choose to retire, he was forced into it to a large degree. With Rock, he just got tired of the grind. Which I understand and sympathize with, but it makes me respect Austin more. I never caught any of his World Class stuff but he does represent the very end of the generation of wrestlers who came up through the territories back when territories did more than wrestle in VFW halls in front of 200 people. There's a level of experience that he has that is very quickly falling out of wrestling and it is unfortunate.

Someone asked what the "Undertaker's Last Match" should be (since we all are under the assumption that he hangs it up for good after WM28 - which is probably true, mind, but not a guarantee).

Sting.

Obviously.

IWA Mid-South is a shitshow promotion that has name recognition outside of Bumfuck, KY because half their meth'd out hillbilly workers were willing to put themselves in indescribably stupid situations (i.e., "hardcore spots") for Ian Rotten.

[quote name='mykevermin']Someone asked what the "Undertaker's Last Match" should be (since we all are under the assumption that he hangs it up for good after WM28 - which is probably true, mind, but not a guarantee).

Sting.

Obviously.[/QUOTE]

Myke I won't argue the Sting mention at all, I would enjoy it but I doubt we will see it. On the current WWE roster two names come to mind.

1. CM Punk: In good enough shape to go with Taker and still small enough to be thrown around, the promos alone Punk could cut would be outstanding.

2. Kane: I know this seems like an awkward choice, but I'm looking at this from the history standpoint on the two. Would ANYONE think Kane had a chance in hell of winning, absolutely not, this is done to cap off the nearly 15 year story between the two.

Cena would be mentioned if he wasn't already against The Rock. Again, this was just an idea.

The odd thing about UT's WM matches is that they help sell the PPV, but the outcome is *never* in question at all.

Punk is a good choice because you might need someone who can throw *themselves* around the ring. Not as "dick move" as HBK did vs. Hulk Hogan at Summerslam, but if UT is that physically limited, you'll need someone to basically bump around him for 20 minutes.

That's why I think Kane is not a good choice. I think there's absolutely a chance he and UT could have a good WM quality match if they are on their best day and give everything they have and then some. There's a greater chance that they would shit up the ring in a way that could outdo UT v Giant Gonzalez. It could happen, but it would be a huge risk for what is very likely to be UT's send-off match.

I think there's enough mystique in Sting/UT that, if it could happen, the match wouldn't have to be good to get over. It's not likely to happen, though. I doubt Sting wants to come in just to do the job (even if it's the most prominent job any wrestler could do in a given year, and one that doesn't harm your perception among fans).

Shrug. Who knows what we'll get. Flair?

EDIT: For reference (and humor):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyN5sAShqOA

[quote name='Genocidal']Quite possible. The only "evidence" I have of him using a phone is that's what it looked like when Cena walked by him and Stanford filming on Raw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4fRvqzUrcI

Watching it again, you're right, does look more like a Flip HD. In my mind, WWE has been behind the show in a "as long as it doesn't hurt Raw/Smackdown, do what you want" sort of manner. And Scott Stanford's been in TV a while -- it's not unreasonable to me that he'd have picked up a few things. Not being there though, it's all just speculation on my part, and I want to believe in a guy that manages to get himself over without TV time more than the alternative.[/QUOTE]

When Ryder was on Colt Cabana's podcast he said that he is using a Flip HD. He said that he started using it after his parents gave it to him for Christmas.

[quote name='mykevermin']The odd thing about UT's WM matches is that they help sell the PPV, but the outcome is *never* in question at all.

Punk is a good choice because you might need someone who can throw *themselves* around the ring. Not as "dick move" as HBK did vs. Hulk Hogan at Summerslam, but if UT is that physically limited, you'll need someone to basically bump around him for 20 minutes.

That's why I think Kane is not a good choice. I think there's absolutely a chance he and UT could have a good WM quality match if they are on their best day and give everything they have and then some. There's a greater chance that they would shit up the ring in a way that could outdo UT v Giant Gonzalez. It could happen, but it would be a huge risk for what is very likely to be UT's send-off match.

I think there's enough mystique in Sting/UT that, if it could happen, the match wouldn't have to be good to get over. It's not likely to happen, though. I doubt Sting wants to come in just to do the job (even if it's the most prominent job any wrestler could do in a given year, and one that doesn't harm your perception among fans).

Shrug. Who knows what we'll get. Flair?

EDIT: For reference (and humor):[/QUOTE]

Now that video is some funny shit.

I think Punk has to be the choice for UT.

I guess Triple H is still around but their last match was already not up to the insane bar set by HBK and UT so I can't see either of them wanting to give it another shot a year later.

Kane has already faced UT at WM twice, I can't see them getting to three with anyone (another strike against Triple H).

Christian could work although I don't know if the WWE heads see him as a big enough star to face off against Taker in his last match.

Assuming Punk did sign a long contract and isn't just here through Summerslam, he's my pick.

[quote name='Halo05']Assuming Punk did sign a long contract and isn't just here through Summerslam, he's my pick.[/QUOTE]

I can't help but think Punk doesn't have enough name recognition to be "the guy" who sends off Taker. I'm willing to bet they bring back HBK or Foley for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back