The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

SPECIAL NOTE (B1G1 free on $14.99 and under used games through August 4th):
All used games under $14.99 are buy one get one free through August 4th NOW OVER.

The second post has games that you may want to trade in to Gamestop to transfer some credit from BB to GS. Unfortunately with the end of the $10 extra promo at Gamestop this is much less useful than before. Some people may have the $15 bonus coupon or want to use the current GS deal (trade 3 get an extra 10%, trade 4 get an extra 20%, trade 5 get an extra 30%) so we'll keep that post going until the B1G1 free ends at Blockbuster.

Even though the B1G1 sale is now over, I'm leaving this info up for a few days for those who bought stuff and still want to trade it in to Gamestop (you have till the 10th there).

SPECIAL NOTE #2 (DS Lite's and new DS games now available at most BB stores!):
Starting just on July 15th, most Blockbuster stores got shipments of DS Lites and a wide assortment of new DS games that they've never had for sale in the past. Titles include NSMB, Professor Layton, Mario Party DS, and High School Musical ;).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are currently taking preorders for NCAA 09, Madden 09, Star Wars Force Unleashed, Fallout 3, Soul Calibur IV, and a few others (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values. I'm going to elaborate on the last sentence as people apparently don't understand that when I say regular BB's have the same trade-in values as Gamerush that it means [hightlight]regular Blockbuster stores accept game trade-ins just like Gamerush stores[/highlight].

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. They just started in mid July selling DS Lites at most stores as well. As a result of not selling used hardware, however, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Both Gamerush and regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for new games for a $5 deposit (or you can pay any other amount beyond that). Gamerush stores will get many more games in than the regular stores but unfortunately a preorder at either place is not a guarantee you will get the game. Sometimes they do not get certain titles in even if you preorder them months in advance.

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by many regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Guitar Hero On Tour
High School Musical
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Party DS
My Fashion Designer
My Weight Loss Coach
NSMB
Professor Layton
Zoo Tycoon 2
(and a bunch of other older titles they just got in on July 15th)

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Lost Planet Colonies Edition
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Blast Works
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Rock Band bundle
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Wall-E
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

I tried turning some of my BB to Gamestop. I just got 2 copies of Meet the Robinsons and 2 copies of Virtual Tennis. I traded in 2 yesterday. Tried it again and another gamestop everything went smooth when i got home. I noticed a 2.00 resurfacing fee on my receipt. Whats up with that?

[quote name='averageguy']I tried turning some of my BB to Gamestop. I just got 2 copies of Meet the Robinsons and 2 copies of Virtual Tennis. I traded in 2 yesterday. Tried it again and another gamestop everything went smooth when i got home. I noticed a 2.00 resurfacing fee on my receipt. Whats up with that?[/quote]

I've seen them do that to some people when their disc is scratched up, but they usually tell you about the fee when they give you the trade-in value. Sneaky...

[quote name='spauldingfan']About to go hit up some GR/BB stores, i'll check on those prices for MTR and others....
Also what is the status on the B2G1 sale at GS? Still a rumor?[/quote]

It's been updated from plain rumor to more than likely occurrence. It's due to take place the last week of the month at the end of the Game Days Sale.

If there is a $10 trade in bonus at GS and B2G1 AND Blockbuster is doing B1G1 on $14.99 & under games I'll need a trash can in my car for all the stickers I'll be peeling off in the car between stores.

[quote name='freshzen']If there is a $10 trade in bonus at GS and B2G1 AND Blockbuster is doing B1G1 on $14.99 & under games I'll need a trash can in my car for all the stickers I'll be peeling off in the car between stores.[/quote]

HAHA I had to vacuum my car to get all the stickers off the floor of the passenger side :) Totally worth the 25 cents.

Man you guys are lucky. I'm married so I have to reach in the back and put them behind the seat otherwise I get yelled at for stickers on the floor.

[quote name='Nikadimas']Man you guys are lucky. I'm married so I have to reach in the back and put them behind the seat otherwise I get yelled at for stickers on the floor.[/quote]

circus%20ringleader%20whip_jpg.jpg

[quote name='GuardianE']
Although, doesn't that mean if those games are ringing up as 16.99, they would NOT be eligible for the sale? Somewhere I read that they're generally for the lower priced games (9.99 and under).[/QUOTE]

Yes, it means those games won't work. But they won't raise everything up (otherwise what's the point of the B1G1 sale?). We'll have to recompile the list in the OP...

[quote name='NAmato']Same here with MTR (Wii) and Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Also, Earth Defense Force for 360 rang up $6.99. Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but the VERY HELPFUL list on the first page has it at $9.99.[/QUOTE]

Well, it was $9.99 when I bought one a few days ago. Keep in mind they change used game SALE prices on Sundays, so like the increases to $16.99 that's a new change just today.

[quote name='djkunai']
circus%20ringleader%20whip_jpg.jpg
[/quote]

Yeah, except substitute the riding crop for a bullwhip and it's a bit more accurate.

Anyone know how you Blockbuster is with canceling preorders? I think the reason I'll give is that I want the Gold Edition of Bad Company and not the regular one, but in truth it's because they don't get the game until the 27th. Plus, I want my sniper rifle code.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Don't BB deals start on Monday? Shouldn't be too much longer till we know if there will be a b1g1 or not :)[/quote]

Yes I just wished this deal could wait a week so I can take full advantage of it since I am on Vacation starting tomorrow and wont be back until Saturday evening. But if this deal comes true then I will be hitting up all 5 of my BBV that night to flip to GS on Sunday.

Just got back from BB

monster madness is now 14.99 instead of 9.99 :(
tomb raider legend is now 19.99!!!! instead of 9.99
meet the robinsons for both systems is now 16.99

So far Pirates, WWE 2007, Shrek, Spiderman 3, Spiderman FOF, Xmen, have remained the same.

Manged to pickup WWE "2008" for 14.99 :) Gotta love the wrong label prices.

[quote name='io']Yes, it means those games won't work. But they won't raise everything up (otherwise what's the point of the B1G1 sale?). We'll have to recompile the list in the OP...

Well, it was $9.99 when I bought one a few days ago. Keep in mind they change used game SALE prices on Sundays, so like the increases to $16.99 that's a new change just today.[/quote]

I can confirm EDF 6.99. Bought one yesterday for 9.99 and another for 6.99 today.

[quote name='Nikadimas']
Anyone know how you Blockbuster is with canceling preorders? I think the reason I'll give is that I want the Gold Edition of Bad Company and not the regular one, but in truth it's because they don't get the game until the 27th. Plus, I want my sniper rifle code.[/quote]

Well most likely they will tell you to wait till the game arrives, its kind of screwy....
Example, when Cod4 came out I wanted to change it to the collectors edition, but they made me wait till the day it came out, it falls under the same lines as to why they only let you put 58.99 max down for a 59.99 preorder........ crazy corporate blockbuster dictatorship policy.

If this lasts long enough...I'm going on a road trip next week, and, to the chagrin of those driving with me, there may be many a pitstop along the 300-mile trek.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']If this lasts long enough...I'm going on a road trip next week, and, to the chagrin of those driving with me, there may be many a pitstop along the 300-mile trek.[/quote]

Same here, but I'm taking over from Hollywood to the Inland Empire.

[quote name='djkunai']Same here, but I'm taking over from Hollywood to the Inland Empire.[/quote]

Inland Empire Survival Kit-

-Faded Ozzfest 1998 Shirt....check
- Cheap, Misspelled Harley Davidson Tattoo.... check
- Shaved head with matching 3rd degree sunburn..... check

[quote name='spauldingfan']Inland Empire Survival Kit-

-Faded Ozzfest 1998 Shirt....check
- Cheap, Misspelled Harley Davidson Tattoo.... check
- Shaved head with matching 3rd degree sunburn..... check[/quote]

Wow, you are ready.

[quote name='spauldingfan']Just got back from BB

So far Pirates, WWE 2007, Shrek, Spiderman 3, Spiderman FOF, Xmen, have remained the same.

Manged to pickup WWE "2008" for 14.99 :) Gotta love the wrong label prices.[/QUOTE]

$19.99 on TRL is a bit wacky. There are two possible reasons for all these price adjustments. 1: A B1G1 sale is coming up and for whatever reason they don't want to sell some games they used to sell for $9.99 and less under that promo. 2: They are reacting to the huge upswing in sales of these games thinking that demand has come out of nowhere and they should cash in by raising the prices. If it is the latter, they will be sorely disappointed when sales come to a screeching halt. Well, either way, sales will come to a screeching halt for those games adjusted to $16.99 or higher.

[quote name='io']$19.99 on TRL is a bit wacky. There are two possible reasons for all these price adjustments. 1: A B1G1 sale is coming up and for whatever reason they don't want to sell some games they used to sell for $9.99 and less under that promo. 2: They are reacting to the huge upswing in sales of these games thinking that demand has come out of nowhere and they should cash in by raising the prices. If it is the latter, they will be sorely disappointed when sales come to a screeching halt. Well, either way, sales will come to a screeching halt for those games adjusted to $16.99 or higher.[/quote]

Well out of the 3 BB in my area the only one with their act together changed EVERY label on the games, and I kind of hinted at a sale and they had no idea( and I talked to the GM) so it might be just the huge amout of sales for games like mtr and trl.

[quote name='spauldingfan']Well out of the 3 BB in my area the only one with their act together changed EVERY label on the games, and I kind of hinted at a sale and they had no idea( and I talked to the GM) so it might be just the huge amout of sales for games like mtr and trl.[/quote]

Even if io's second possibility is true, it can be a good thing because it will make BB think the demand for these games is really high, justifying a higher sale price, which also justifies a higher trade in value. Although, I'll be amazed if the TIV of Stranglehold holds for another week. All I want are some $17 -> $30 flips when GS's B2G1 rolls around...whenever that is. Do we even know yet? Some are saying 6/16...some are saying 6/29. I really doubt it starts tomorrow because GS is NEVER that good at keeping secrets. Usually somebody on here has confirmation at least 5 days in advance. It makes me nervous that we know nothing, haha.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Even if io's second possibility is true, it can be a good thing because it will make BB think the demand for these games is really high, justifying a higher sale price, which also justifies a higher trade in value. Although, I'll be amazed if the TIV of Stranglehold holds for another week. All I want are some $17 -> $30 flips when GS's B2G1 rolls around...whenever that is. Do we even know yet? Some are saying 6/16...some are saying 6/29. I really doubt it starts tomorrow because GS is NEVER that good at keeping secrets. Usually somebody on here has confirmation at least 5 days in advance. It makes me nervous that we know nothing, haha.[/quote]

Its going to intresting to see what comes up for the 17 -> 30 flips during the B2G1 if it does happen. Not really 17, but Condemned 2 qand viking are nice flips if you find em used and have the edge card. There was a thread a few days ago from the guy who first claimed the 10 extra trade in value, about the B2G1 and he was saying either 6/13 or 6/20, but it got closed by a mod.

I think the price just changed due to demand on the game with the dwindling supply.

I was hoping to hit some flips tomorrow, but I now have no idea what I would be looking for at BB. Guess I can snag some SHs & SST at GS and look for EDF at BB.

This brings me back to a gut feeling I had today... in that GS will prob raise the price of Stranglehold real soon..... Im going to stick with Pirates, WWE, Virtua tennis, Shrek, spiderman games for now. EDF would be great at 6.99 but after going to God knows how many BB I have yet to find 1..ggrrrrrr.

[quote name='spauldingfan']Its going to intresting to see what comes up for the 17 -> 30 flips during the B2G1 if it does happen. Not really 17, but Condemned 2 qand viking are nice flips if you find em used and have the edge card. There was a thread a few days ago from the guy who first claimed the 10 extra trade in value, about the B2G1 and he was saying either 6/13 or 6/20, but it got closed by a mod.[/quote]

what do they flip from and to?

[quote name='spauldingfan']Its going to intresting to see what comes up for the 17 -> 30 flips during the B2G1 if it does happen. Not really 17, but Condemned 2 qand viking are nice flips if you find em used and have the edge card. There was a thread a few days ago from the guy who first claimed the 10 extra trade in value, about the B2G1 and he was saying either 6/13 or 6/20, but it got closed by a mod.[/quote]

Yeah, Condemned 2 and Viking are also ones I have my eye on. In my ideal situation, TIV's will hold at BB at least until the B2G1 starts at GS. Then I find a used SST, Stranglehold, Condemned 2, and Viking. Buy those four, grab 2 free games for myself. Flip the four I bought...and have almost enough credit for a new DS Lite. That's about $86 out of pocket for a DS Lite and 2 games. I repeat...this is my ideal situation, haha. Please God let it work out!

[quote name='ets']what do they flip from and to?[/quote]

With Edge they are 26.19 after tax (CA) and flip to 32 and 33. So with the B2G1 you could bring in close to 50 on each trade of 3.

On a lighter side I highly suggest everyone with credit get Metal Gear Solid 4, sure its a 20+ hour long movie, but its well worth every flipping credit!;)

[quote name='spauldingfan']
On a lighter side I highly suggest everyone with credit get Metal Gear Solid 4, sure its a 20+ hour long movie, but its well worth every flipping credit!;)[/quote]

15 hours. I'm replaying it already. So damn good.

Stranglehold is down to $16.88 on Amazon. I'm going to wait til tomorrow to make my order just in case there is a price drop at BB. $16.88 -> $33 with no hunting at Gamestop is pretty nice. Though i'm kind of perplexed on whether I should be spending cash on the game when I can use GS credit... If i spend the credit, that'll be it until I find something to flip it all back with, but if I use cash, i'll still have my GS credit, and add BB credit on top of it. Argh...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000GPXSCQ/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

[quote name='spauldingfan']Well out of the 3 BB in my area the only one with their act together changed EVERY label on the games, and I kind of hinted at a sale and they had no idea( and I talked to the GM) so it might be just the huge amout of sales for games like mtr and trl.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ets']I think the price just changed due to demand on the game with the dwindling supply.

I was hoping to hit some flips tomorrow, but I now have no idea what I would be looking for at BB. Guess I can snag some SHs & SST at GS and look for EDF at BB.[/QUOTE]

It is very unlike Blockbuster to react that quickly to things though. I don't think I've ever seen them raise prices on used games except just prior to the last Buy 1 Get 1 Free under $14.99 sale. They still don't adjust trade-in prices according to volume ;). Plus, I could sort of understand it with MtR, but not TRL. I only saw one TRL at 5 BB's and I didn't even buy that. What about Spiderman FoF and Spiderman 3 - there had to be huge sales of those only because they are so abundant (though perhaps their abundance would keep the price lower)? I guess we'll find out about any possible B1G1 sale here soon enough...

Manged to pickup WWE "2008" for 14.99 :) Gotta love the wrong label prices.[/quote]

Shesh a 10 dollar increase on MTR 360? What are they gamestop...and what game is it Fire Emblem PoR?

Manged to pickup WWE "2008" for 14.99 :) Gotta love the wrong label prices.[/quote]

I was shocked by the Wii MTR price jump yesterday, I had bought 3 or 4 just the day before for the expected price. Since when does GR perform price changes on a weekend, thankfully no more flipping for me from GR --> GS, but I did score 2 PS3 HL2 at target yesterday so hopefully they still get a decent trade value.

[quote name='stoned99']I was shocked by the Wii MTR price jump yesterday, I had bought 3 or 4 just the day before for the expected price. Since when does GR perform price changes on a weekend, thankfully no more flipping for me from GR --> GS, but I did score 2 PS3 HL2 at target yesterday so hopefully they still get a decent trade value.[/quote]

For-sale prices change on Sundays (I'm pretty sure) but trade-in values change on Tuesdays. Been like that for a while. I've also noticed at some of my local stores, they often don't bothering updating tags when there are markdowns, but when there are mark *ups* they always change the tags on time.

[quote name='mkernan']For-sale prices change on Sundays (I'm pretty sure) but trade-in values change on Tuesdays. Been like that for a while. I've also noticed at some of my local stores, they often don't bothering updating tags when there are markdowns, but when there are mark *ups* they always change the tags on time.[/quote]

the logic on that is kind of backwards don't you agree? If I owned a store, I would want my inventory moved as fast as possible. Lower prices = moved inventory. So, if a price drops, I would update the price tag so people would be more inclined to purchase. However, if a price increases, I would be tempted to keep the lower price tag on just to add extra incentive for them to buy.

[quote name='mkernan']For-sale prices change on Sundays (I'm pretty sure) but trade-in values change on Tuesdays. Been like that for a while. I've also noticed at some of my local stores, they often don't bothering updating tags when there are markdowns, but when there are mark *ups* they always change the tags on time.[/quote]

Yes, now that you put it that way, I guess I was aware of the price drops on Sunday, but I had never actually experienced one, seeing as I so rarely buy used games from GS.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']the logic on that is kind of backwards don't you agree? If I owned a store, I would want my inventory moved as fast as possible. Lower prices = moved inventory. So, if a price drops, I would update the price tag so people would be more inclined to purchase. However, if a price increases, I would be tempted to keep the lower price tag on just to add extra incentive for them to buy.[/QUOTE]

No part the second part. You'd have to honor the lower price on the case.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']the logic on that is kind of backwards don't you agree? If I owned a store, I would want my inventory moved as fast as possible. Lower prices = moved inventory. So, if a price drops, I would update the price tag so people would be more inclined to purchase. However, if a price increases, I would be tempted to keep the lower price tag on just to add extra incentive for them to buy.[/quote]

Yeah, but as we all know quite well, Blockbuster and logic don't really go hand in hand.

Just got back from BB. Most of the good flipping titles have raised in price to the point where they are no longer flippable. The lone exception that I spotted was Spiderman FoF which was still tagged $12.99.

Even Virtua Tennis 3 was raised to $16.99.

I did a pretty thorough search and there were very few titles that were $14.99 or under, so if they do have a B1G1 free sale on $14.99 and under titles it's going to suck (at least at this location).

[quote name='daminion']Just got back from BB. Most of the good flipping titles have raised in price to the point where they are no longer flippable. The lone exception that I spotted was Spiderman FoF which was still tagged $12.99.

Even Virtua Tennis 3 was raised to $16.99.

I did a pretty thorough search and there were very few titles that were $14.99 or under, so if they do have a B1G1 free sale on $14.99 and under titles it's going to suck (at least at this location).[/quote]

Did you actually have the prices checked at the register? Those tags very well may have been old tags if not. After the changes yesterday I still was able to find a large number of games ringing up at 9.99 whether they were tagged that way or not.

[quote name='xdl']Did you actually have the prices checked at the register? Those tags very well may have been old tags if not. After the changes yesterday I still was able to find a large number of games ringing up at 9.99 whether they were tagged that way or not.[/quote]

list the games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back