The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

SPECIAL NOTE (B1G1 free on $14.99 and under used games through August 4th):
All used games under $14.99 are buy one get one free through August 4th NOW OVER.

The second post has games that you may want to trade in to Gamestop to transfer some credit from BB to GS. Unfortunately with the end of the $10 extra promo at Gamestop this is much less useful than before. Some people may have the $15 bonus coupon or want to use the current GS deal (trade 3 get an extra 10%, trade 4 get an extra 20%, trade 5 get an extra 30%) so we'll keep that post going until the B1G1 free ends at Blockbuster.

Even though the B1G1 sale is now over, I'm leaving this info up for a few days for those who bought stuff and still want to trade it in to Gamestop (you have till the 10th there).

SPECIAL NOTE #2 (DS Lite's and new DS games now available at most BB stores!):
Starting just on July 15th, most Blockbuster stores got shipments of DS Lites and a wide assortment of new DS games that they've never had for sale in the past. Titles include NSMB, Professor Layton, Mario Party DS, and High School Musical ;).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are currently taking preorders for NCAA 09, Madden 09, Star Wars Force Unleashed, Fallout 3, Soul Calibur IV, and a few others (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values. I'm going to elaborate on the last sentence as people apparently don't understand that when I say regular BB's have the same trade-in values as Gamerush that it means [hightlight]regular Blockbuster stores accept game trade-ins just like Gamerush stores[/highlight].

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. They just started in mid July selling DS Lites at most stores as well. As a result of not selling used hardware, however, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Both Gamerush and regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for new games for a $5 deposit (or you can pay any other amount beyond that). Gamerush stores will get many more games in than the regular stores but unfortunately a preorder at either place is not a guarantee you will get the game. Sometimes they do not get certain titles in even if you preorder them months in advance.

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by many regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Guitar Hero On Tour
High School Musical
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Party DS
My Fashion Designer
My Weight Loss Coach
NSMB
Professor Layton
Zoo Tycoon 2
(and a bunch of other older titles they just got in on July 15th)

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Lost Planet Colonies Edition
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Blast Works
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Rock Band bundle
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Wall-E
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='confoosious']hey io, how much are those Wall-E toys? Are they worth it?[/QUOTE]

Well, the little packs are $5.99 as heatdolphins45 said. The slightly larger ones are $9.99. My kids really like the Wall-E that comes with 2 cubes - you put them in the front and push the back to pop them out. Then there are the big talking ones which I think are $34.99. I've only gotten the one $9.99 and three or four of the $5.99 ones. Of course they want the talking one but that is bit much even with the cheap credit.

In other news, it turns out I'm NOT taking my work trip, so I'll be around to update as usual. I'm kind of disappointed because I was looking forward to buying/trading at new stores where they aren't sick of seeing me. I had maps printed out and everything planned out too... On the flip side I can hit up all the stores around here and not pay sales tax on my BB purchases... Anyway, that's what I get for reading and posting on CAG before I read my work email (they just canceled the trip) :lol:.

Well, I'm all set. 25 BBV's and 13 or so GameStops going in a zig zag then a big circle. Google Maps says its going to be a 5-hour round trip covering 140 miles.

And its more than likely I'll get bored and stop at some point halfway through. I'm starting off with $330 in BBV credit and about $50 of GS Credit in the bank. I hope the trip turns out to be worth it...

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Well, I'm all set. 25 BBV's and 13 or so GameStops going in a zig zag then a big circle. Google Maps says its going to be a 5-hour round trip covering 140 miles.

And its more than likely I'll get bored and stop at some point halfway through. I'm starting off with $330 in BBV credit and about $50 of GS Credit in the bank. I hope the trip turns out to be worth it...[/quote]

Jesus H. Christ, I hope there is a work related reason why you're driving that many miles.

If not....just...wow...

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']Jesus H. Christ, I hope there is a work related reason why you're driving that many miles.

If not....just...wow...[/QUOTE]

I'll driving nearly that much (probably on 3 different days) and only hitting half that many of each store...

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Well, I'm all set. 25 BBV's and 13 or so GameStops going in a zig zag then a big circle. Google Maps says its going to be a 5-hour round trip covering 140 miles.

And its more than likely I'll get bored and stop at some point halfway through. I'm starting off with $330 in BBV credit and about $50 of GS Credit in the bank. I hope the trip turns out to be worth it...[/quote]

Man, how many times are you gonna unload your credit? I have that much in BBV credit and can spend it all between 5 stores around here. They don't have much, but enough to blow through $330 in credit.

Wow, that's quite a trip. Godspeed!

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']Jesus H. Christ, I hope there is a work related reason why you're driving that many miles.

If not....just...wow...[/quote]

Yes, there is! Work is slow as shit, so if I can spend the equivalent of a shift and $30 in gas (my little Hundai gets about 30 MPG) turning the little bit of cash that I turned into credit into a lot more credit at both places, a nice stack of games, and some extra stuff that can be turned into cash, I'm going for it. Also, I really want to end up with as much GS credit as possible, since the few titles I would actually preorder (such as FFIV DS) tend to not be carried by BBV.

There are at least a dozen or so more BB's, but this 150ish miles is only within a 20 mile or so radius from home.

And thanks, Guerilla!

Ugh. I went on another flipping trip today after I exchanged my 1 and a half old DS Lite at Best Buy since the power switch broke and had a dead pixel since I bought it, but I was way too lazy to care at the time. Started two trade accounts within the area after trading in a Forza/Marvel Alliance pack at the local GS (No coupon for me since both games didn't hit the mark, but still $10 bonus worthy) and bought a previously flipped copy of F4 with the $16 and some change from the trade and $1.75 left over on the card. I definitely plan to use those packs purely for F4 fodder from now on until the TIV drops or other stores refuse to accept it since it scanned just fine.

The only reason I'm irked is because I can't seem to get rid of my last Viking without cover art. I pray I can ditch this damn thing tomorrow once and for all. I almost did yesterday during my last stop but the girl wouldn't take one of them because she thought the scratches were too deep. Psht, whatever. I cleaned up that "flawed" copy and traded it in today no problem. Tch, just my luck to be stuck with the better copy no one wants, huh?

$296 w/ Vik gone (pray for me) all set for B1G1. Not bad for a newbie just starting I guess. Truth be told though if I had $200 cash in my hand to blow I would have bought the bundle today. Every store I've called and casually asked about it doesn't have ANY in stock and are completely clueless as to when they'll get more in. =\

Traded in 3 artic tale? wii 48 bucks (paid 21 at target)

Traded in

Stacked PSP 10
pac man world rally 12.50
shirk racing Ds 10.00 (paid 5 at tru)
and not sure on the 4th game

42.50 there and 20 left from tale so i got around 60 to 65 to play with

If nothing is gone and prices dont go up might grab

Afterburner Psp + arvest moon boy girl psp for 14.99

if the games are still there next sunday there is 4 psp games i can grab for 20 BUt its lame games or games i already have (YU GI OH TAG FORCE 1 + Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony ect ect)

dont know if its worth the gas money running to that store or not...

I'll be figuring out some TIVs tomorrow. I plan on trading in Gears of War, Mass Effect, Call of Duty 3, GTA IV and I'm seriously contemplating on whether I should or shouldn't trade in DMC4. I've only gotten to level 4 or so, but the game is fun so I'm not sure what I'm going to do...

[quote name='io'][highlight]Note that one big unknown in this deal is when it ends[/highlight]. I'd really like to know if it is just Tuesday-Monday or if it will go more than 1 week (and that way I can get some more done when I get back home). Since none of the people I've asked even know about it, maybe someone who finds a clerk that does can ask them that part. Warner, what about you? Does the MAP/memo not mention the end date?[/quote]

The deal will be going on for at LEAST 2 weeks. There was an end date posted, but I forget what it was (definitely not next week though). I'm going back later tonight to drop off a couple of movies, so I'll see if the paperwork is still laying around.

Also, for anyone interested in buying movies, the 3 for $20 on DVD's (14.99 and less) is starting tomorrow as well.

[quote name='slidecage']
pac man world rally 12.50[/QUOTE]

This is a Blockbuster trade-in price? Man, it was getting that like 2 years ago when I was trading them from Best Buy ($5 front lane games) :lol:.

I wonder if I should check on those Narnia DS games I got at TRU?

i traded in a couple of games:

:360:SST - $25
:360:Turning Point:Fall of liberty - $25
:ps3:Viking - $33
:360:HC:BftP - $25

i also picked up a couple of Wall-E merchandise...the little stuff toy and the plastic figure...both sell for $5.99...i consider them a good buy...

Last edited by a moderator:
I traded in the History Channel game for $25 today and brought an extra copy of F4 to try my luck. Here's me paraphrasing my short conversation with the BBV employee:

'Am I able to trade a second copy of a game I already traded in?'
'Yeah, sure, you can trade as many as you want.'

Needless to say, I'm I little relieved at how lax my nearest BBV seems to be.

[quote name='DarkRider23']I'll be figuring out some TIVs tomorrow. I plan on trading in Gears of War, Mass Effect, Call of Duty 3, GTA IV and I'm seriously contemplating on whether I should or shouldn't trade in DMC4. I've only gotten to level 4 or so, but the game is fun so I'm not sure what I'm going to do...[/QUOTE]

DMC is awesome. definitely not worth trading in.

Had an AMAZING day! Which is strange, considering I was on the metro bus to get from place to place, and my trip was cut a little short walking on the way home when it started raining hard. Here's the good stuff, though.

I went out to the mall where Toys R Us and a few other stores are. I picked up 4 copies of FF: RotSS.

I went to the Blockbuster up the street where I traded in the 6 copies before. I tried to dish the same story, but the guy said that since I already traded in so many, they had more than enough in stock (which is great, since that means I wasn't in trouble).

I felt a little downfallen, before I went to the CD Warehouse next door. I picked up a MINT (!!!) copy of Final Fantasy VIII for the Playstation! Only thing that was missing was the manual and there's a tiny sticker on the front. I am going to consider selling it for profit.

So after that, I decided to take the bus to the other Blockbuster across town that's closer to my house which I haven't been to in a year (the day before Beowulf dropped in trade-in value, to be precise). I traded in the four copies of FF, no questions asked, and my total credit has skyrocketed to almost $364. $50->$364 on FF alone? What a great haul! I also asked the guy if he had any Nintendo Wii's in, but he said that they just sold the last copy yesterday, but they will have more tomorrow, so I may consider stopping in.

After that, I went across the street to the Salvation Army Store, noticed some retro games behind the counter, and picked up Super Mario World and Pilotwings for the SNES (carts only) for about $6. I'm starting up a Video Game Club at my university this Fall, and since we're planning an old school gaming session, I figured the more choices the better.

So, overall, a great day! I think with my other gift card, I have like $380 total credit. Couple that with the fact that I also have $65 at GameStop after buying my brother 1600 Microsoft Points for his birthday, things have been great this summer despite the lack of a job. Who needs a job with such a great flipping opportunity? :D

By the way, I also traded in Harry Potter: OotP (PS3) $16 after picking it up for $10 in credit at GameStop yesterday, and Final Fantasy III (DS) for $8.

I just noticed that SST for 360 is showing up as $29.99 used now.... I guess the used prices finally caught back up with the new price going back to normal. (at Gamestop, I meant)

DAMN! Condemned 2 and Viking both went up to $35 used too! I think we bought too many.

Here are some more last minute gamestop trade in values:

Ridge Racer 6 $2
Blitz: The League $4
Project Gotham Racing 3 $1
Eragon $1
NFS Most wanted $7

wii:
shrek the third $4

[quote name='mkernan']I just noticed that SST for 360 is showing up as $29.99 used now.... I guess the used prices finally caught back up with the new price going back to normal. (at Gamestop, I meant)

DAMN! Condemned 2 and Viking both went up to $35 used too! I think we bought too many.[/quote]

Nuts. Wonder if stores will update their stickers first thing tomorrow (or tonight), if not maybe you can get them to honor the lower price.

[quote name='Karuto']I picked up a MINT (!!!) copy of Final Fantasy VIII for the Playstation! Only thing that was missing was the manual and there's a tiny sticker on the front.[/quote]

We have different definitions of mint. ;) Still, nice score.

A few GAMERUSH trade i values

- GRAW (360) - $6
- Condemned 2 (360) - $32

That is it.....back to the $300 mark in credit. Ma buy some cheap games tomorrow hopefully.

[quote name='mkernan']I just noticed that SST for 360 is showing up as $29.99 used now.... I guess the used prices finally caught back up with the new price going back to normal. (at Gamestop, I meant)

DAMN! Condemned 2 and Viking both went up to $35 used too! I think we bought too many.[/quote]

I think that Condemned 2 and Viking went back to their actual prices. It was kind of odd that they were $60 new and $26.99 used. It made no sense. $40/$35 actually makes sense.

Maybe the price drops happened because of the Game Days sale? Regardless, it's still a positive flip. $23.xx>$32 Not that great, but if you can't find any other games to flip Condemned 2 and Viking are still worth a shot.

damn hopefully i can get myself a copy of Condemned 2 for 17 before the used price jumps back up in the stores. I liked the first Condemned and for 17 bucks for a somewhat new game I cant complain even if its half decent

Called a few BBVs on the SF Penisula and got no joy. They don't buy games or dvds.

Anyone know if some BBVs are opting out of the buyback program or if the BBVs in certain regions are no longer participating?

anyone think some BBV will run the b1g1 late tonight before they close? i figure they might set their bins up and what not, and i know the manager so maybe i can get the hook up. if not it wont be a wasted trip, i gotta head their anyways to see what games they got so i can figure out what the hell to buy tomorrow

[quote name='spauldingfan']Just found Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (gamecube) for 9.99 at BB...... there is a god :)[/quote]

there must be 2 gods then man...cuz i found (and HID VERY WELL) the twin snakes for GC at my BBV/GR hehehe...contemplating whether to sell it or not...I AWAIT YOUR POSTING ALMIGHTY IO!

[quote name='salty tbone']We have different definitions of mint. ;) Still, nice score.[/quote]

lol, well, I could always buy the manual from someplace separately and throw it in there. The discs look brand new, so I definitely believe it's a great grab. :D

[quote name='Lamplitersniper']I bought a Viking and a Comdemned 2 today and both were still at the $26.99 price.[/quote]

Yeah, I just bought and flipped a C2 today, as well.

Hm, so, if those get hosed, what will be left for GS-to-BB at a 2-to-1 ratio? Anything besides Battle for the Pacific? Does the 360 version of Rock Band still get $32 (If its $49.99 used in stores, then it might not work regardless...)?

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Yeah, I just bought and flipped a C2 today, as well.

Hm, so, if those get hosed, what will be left for GS-to-BB at a 2-to-1 ratio? Anything besides Battle for the Pacific? Does the 360 version of Rock Band still get $32 (If its $49.99 used in stores, then it might not work regardless...)?[/quote]

With the 25% off coupon there is bound to be more games, but we have to find them first ;).

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Yeah, I just bought and flipped a C2 today, as well.

Hm, so, if those get hosed, what will be left for GS-to-BB at a 2-to-1 ratio? Anything besides Battle for the Pacific? Does the 360 version of Rock Band still get $32 (If its $49.99 used in stores, then it might not work regardless...)?[/quote]

Will Fatal Inertia have a change this Tuesday at BBV? I traded in 3 today at 2 differnet BBVs for $32 each after buying them at GS for ~$16 with 25% + Edge. (My apologies if it was mentioned, I only slightly skimmed the past 3 or so pages...so much to read).

Damn, I cleared out my area of Viking, Condemed 2, Battle of the Pacific and Harry Potter, plenty of Guitar Hero III left, which was a decent flip. We need more choices while the 360 coupon is still good. I dumped at least 2 copies of every game at GameCrazy, so I'm a satisfied flipper, until tomorrow =)

[quote name='Lamplitersniper']I bought a Viking and a Comdemned 2 today and both were still at the $26.99 price.[/quote]

Well, yeah, so did I.... but the website and in-store prices almost never differ. So, long story short, they're gonna be slappin' new price tags on them in the morning (if not tonight).

And yes, the game days sale probably had something to do with the price changes. But, instead of going back up to the $60 full retail they were before the sale, they've "dropped" to $40 new.

Anyway, our options seem to be dwindling...... I hope there's something decent discovered for when the GS B2G1 eventually starts.

are the BBV used prices universal? I have a store that has wwe 07 for 15, and COD2 and 3 for 15. Will they ring up that price, or will they ring up the posted price on the 2nd post?

[quote name='kearns710']are the BBV used prices universal? I have a store that has wwe 07 for 15, and COD2 and 3 for 15. Will they ring up that price, or will they ring up the posted price on the 2nd post?[/quote]

trade-in prices are universal at all gamerush locations

[quote name='kearns710']are the BBV used prices universal? I have a store that has wwe 07 for 15, and COD2 and 3 for 15. Will they ring up that price, or will they ring up the posted price on the 2nd post?[/quote]

They're pretty universal. There are very rare cases where the prices will be regional. But make sure to get a price check on used games. Never rely on the sticker price. More often than not, they're mislabeled.

[quote name='kearns710']^^ya i know, but what about the used prices (as in the prices you pay when you buy the game used from bbv)[/quote]

Yes, used game prices are all universal. I bought an EDF that was labeled as $9.99 and rang up $6.99.

[quote name='ZKRefleX']Im still wondering how they are going to decide which games are free if you buy more than 2...any word on that ?[/quote]

It's pretty standard that they'll give you the cheapest of the games free. If you buy 2 $15 games and 2 $10 games, they'll probably charge you $30 for all 4 games.

If you get a nice cashier, maybe you can ask him to ring you up in different transactions.

[quote name='ZKRefleX']Im still wondering how they are going to decide which games are free if you buy more than 2...any word on that ?[/quote]

i think someone posted as a guess that the most expensive games are what you will be charged for ei: buy 2 9.99 games and two 14.99 games. you will get charged for the 2 14.99 games and get the two 9.99 games for free.

my suggestion for this is to do all separate transactions, or make one transaction for each price range (1 for 9.99 games, 1 for 14.99 games, 1 for 12.99 games, etc)

[quote name='GuardianE']It's pretty standard that they'll give you the cheapest of the games free. If you buy 2 $15 games and 2 $10 games, they'll probably charge you $30 for all 4 games.

If you get a nice cashier, maybe you can ask him to ring you up in different transactions.[/quote]
lol we used the same example.

I've heard that Saints Row is $14.99 at BBV. Trades in for $10.50 after EDGE/Bonus.

Edit - No devildr1ver, that's wrong. Prices are universal. Whatever it costs at Blockbuster A will cost the same at Blockbuster B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back