The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

SPECIAL NOTE (B1G1 free on $14.99 and under used games through August 4th):
All used games under $14.99 are buy one get one free through August 4th NOW OVER.

The second post has games that you may want to trade in to Gamestop to transfer some credit from BB to GS. Unfortunately with the end of the $10 extra promo at Gamestop this is much less useful than before. Some people may have the $15 bonus coupon or want to use the current GS deal (trade 3 get an extra 10%, trade 4 get an extra 20%, trade 5 get an extra 30%) so we'll keep that post going until the B1G1 free ends at Blockbuster.

Even though the B1G1 sale is now over, I'm leaving this info up for a few days for those who bought stuff and still want to trade it in to Gamestop (you have till the 10th there).

SPECIAL NOTE #2 (DS Lite's and new DS games now available at most BB stores!):
Starting just on July 15th, most Blockbuster stores got shipments of DS Lites and a wide assortment of new DS games that they've never had for sale in the past. Titles include NSMB, Professor Layton, Mario Party DS, and High School Musical ;).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are currently taking preorders for NCAA 09, Madden 09, Star Wars Force Unleashed, Fallout 3, Soul Calibur IV, and a few others (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values. I'm going to elaborate on the last sentence as people apparently don't understand that when I say regular BB's have the same trade-in values as Gamerush that it means [hightlight]regular Blockbuster stores accept game trade-ins just like Gamerush stores[/highlight].

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. They just started in mid July selling DS Lites at most stores as well. As a result of not selling used hardware, however, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Both Gamerush and regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for new games for a $5 deposit (or you can pay any other amount beyond that). Gamerush stores will get many more games in than the regular stores but unfortunately a preorder at either place is not a guarantee you will get the game. Sometimes they do not get certain titles in even if you preorder them months in advance.

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by many regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Guitar Hero On Tour
High School Musical
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Party DS
My Fashion Designer
My Weight Loss Coach
NSMB
Professor Layton
Zoo Tycoon 2
(and a bunch of other older titles they just got in on July 15th)

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Lost Planet Colonies Edition
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Blast Works
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Rock Band bundle
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Wall-E
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']GS though seems pretty layed back when it comes to trade ins. I keep coming in with more crap and jsut say "they're my friends but he doesn't have an edge card." But do you go to different GSs as well and if you do how many?[/quote]

Gamestop is definitely more relaxed. I've been dumping loads of crappy games on them and they don't bat an eye. (Which is how I got into bad standing with a couple Blockbusters, because I thought I could do the same thing there. Don't. I found out the hard way that the second you trade a second copy, the alarm goes off in some manager's head to uncover a devious plot.)

I do raise some attention when the guy at Gamestop reads my Edge balance to me. "Wow, you have a lot of credit. What did you trade in?" I'm tempted to say "Oh, about 10 Meet the Robinsons, 8 Spiderman 3s, 8 Golden Compasses, etc." Instead I just say I'm saving up for a PS3.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']wait on a given day???? Some one please clarify this I'm now confused.[/quote]

That's what the trade agreement says, but if you pass 2 copies traded in at the same store, you will get banned at that store. Keep that in mind. It's not 100% certain you'll get banned, but there's a really good chance you will.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']wait on a given day???? Some one please clarify this I'm now confused.[/quote]

just read that yellow paper you have to sign to open a trade account..all the rules should be on there

[quote name='DarkRider23']That's what the trade agreement says, but if you pass 2 copies traded in at the same store, you will get banned at that store. Keep that in mind. It's not 100% certain you'll get banned, but there's a really good chance you will.[/quote]

This is complete speculation on your part. It's completely YMMV.

I had 20+ copies of MUA / Forza
10+ copies of Hour of Victory
10+ copies of Darkness

Plus countless others that says you are wrong... at least in my case :)

[quote name='daminion']This is complete speculation on your part. It's completely YMMV.

I had 20+ copies of MUA / Forza
10+ copies of Hour of Victory
10+ copies of Darkness

Plus countless others that says you are wrong... at least in my case :)[/quote]

At the same exact store? Either you have a really lax manager or you know someone in that store.

Ok so is this permitted, or ok...

If I trade in 1 copy of a game at one store one day. The next day I trade one copy in at another.

Am I done with trading that particular game? I'm fine if it is, I dont need to get $1000s of credits, just enough to keep me satisfied. If I can flip a game here and there and slowly build up credit at both stores, thats fine by me. I dont really want to do what some of you guys do. i respect that you do, but I dont need to. I dont need that many games to keep me happy. I am hoping though that maybe I can get enough BB credit to pick up rock band, but still have a good sum of GS credit ($200 or so) when I'm all done flipping.

For those looking to move credit from GS back to BB to buy more flips:

PS3:
Harry Potter: OotP - $16 ($9.99 @ GS)
Sega Superstars Tennis - $25 ($15 at GS)

I flipped some credit back to BB and then back to GS. Got myself a MGS4 LE & artbook to go with my MEtal Gear Saga 2 DVD to sell on ebay, and I pre-ordered Fable 2 LE. I've still got $470 left at GS.

[quote name='Bezerker']For those looking to move credit from GS back to BB to buy more flips:

PS3:

I flipped some credit back to BB and then back to GS. Got myself a MGS4 LE & artbook to go with my MEtal Gear Saga 2 DVD to sell on ebay, and I pre-ordered Fable 2 LE. I've still got $470 left at GS.[/QUOTE]

ahh sega superstars tennis. I saw that at GS today. I thought about it too. I guess we can add that to the list as well. Is someone going to keep track of the ps3 flips? darkrider?

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Ok so is this permitted, or ok...

If I trade in 1 copy of a game at one store one day. The next day I trade one copy in at another.

Am I done with trading that particular game? I'm fine if it is, I dont need to get $1000s of credits, just enough to keep me satisfied. If I can flip a game here and there and slowly build up credit at both stores, thats fine by me. I dont really want to do what some of you guys do. i respect that you do, but I dont need to. I dont need that many games to keep me happy. I am hoping though that maybe I can get enough BB credit to pick up rock band, but still have a good sum of GS credit ($200 or so) when I'm all done flipping.[/quote]

You can go ahead and trade a third to another store if you would like. The "SAFE" limit for trading in games is 2 games PER store. You can trade in 2 at one store, 2 at another and 2 at a third store if you wish. I don't suggest going past 2 unless you know the manager is a really easy going manager or you know someone. Knowing my luck, I would get banned right off the bat if I traded in 3+.

[quote name='Bezerker']For those looking to move credit from GS back to BB to buy more flips:

PS3:

I flipped some credit back to BB and then back to GS. Got myself a MGS4 LE & artbook to go with my MEtal Gear Saga 2 DVD to sell on ebay, and I pre-ordered Fable 2 LE. I've still got $470 left at GS.[/quote]

HP's been said before. Where did you get that price for SST? The website says $19.99 new and $29.99 used. Just want confirmation before adding it.

(All prices after EDGE+Coupon)
:ps3:Harry Potter: OotP - $9.99(NEW)->$16
:ps3:Def Jam: Icon - $8.99(NEW)->$13
:ps3:History Channel: BftP $16.24->$30

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']ahh sega superstars tennis. I saw that at GS today. I thought about it too. I guess we can add that to the list as well. Is someone going to keep track of the ps3 flips? darkrider?[/quote]

They'll eventually be added to the 2nd post in the thread, but for now I'll do it... I just passed the 100 post mark for this thread alone..

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, if you can't figure out that trading a bunch of copies of the same game to stores in the same area could possibly raise some eyebrows, you probably shouldn't be doing this in the first place. We all know that even though most Blockbuster stores take trade-ins, it seems to be a foreign concept to a lot of them. You start dumping a dozen copies of the same game around, it's not a stretch to think that someone might call one of the other stores in the area and relay the story (even if it's just so much as asking how to process trades).

Everything in this thread should be done at your own risk and at your own best judgement. Common sense dictates that we can't all be Kunai or some of the others who've traded large amounts of the same game - they're the exception, not the rule. Best thing is to play it safe and fly as far under the radar as possible.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']weaksauce. But to be safe since I dont have a multitude of BB/GSs near me I'll limit my trading. Only one type of game from now on. So I'll just have to find a lot of different GS flippable games.

GS though seems pretty layed back when it comes to trade ins. I keep coming in with more crap and jsut say "they're my friends but he doesn't have an edge card." But do you go to different GSs as well and if you do how many?[/quote]

yea, i trade at 10 different gamestops. 1 mall by my house has 4 GS stores in walking distance and a big road near my house has 4 more GS in an approx 6 or 7 mile stretch.

Anyone know if you can trade in Eye of Judgment without the camera into Gamerush or Gamestop and how much credit you get? I want to keep the camera, not the game.

[quote name='Rictor']Anyone know if you can trade in Eye of Judgment without the camera into Gamerush or Gamestop and how much credit you get? I want to keep the camera, not the game.[/QUOTE]

I think its only $26.99 at GS to buy used, so I'm guessing if you traded it in with another game worth at least $5 and used the $15 bonus coupon, you could get about $16-19 for EoJ game only. At BB/GR its very YMMV to get them to take it in trade in. It will probably get you about $30 if they do take it, I think something comes up saying they aren't supposed to accept it or something...not sure.

I paid about $59 today.

Ended up with Wii: Big Brain Academy, Condemned 2: BLoodshot, Guitar Hero 3, Fatal Inertia, Harry Potter: OotP, and Viking.

Gonna keep Big Brain, gonna trade in everything else.

How much is Viking getting at BB?

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']I paid about $59 today.

Ended up with Wii: Big Brain Academy, Condemned 2: BLoodshot, Guitar Hero 3, Fatal Inertia, Harry Potter: OotP, and Viking.

Gonna keep Big Brain, gonna trade in everything else.

How much is Viking getting at BB?[/quote]

According to the second post, $32.

[quote name='JJSP']Look, if you can't figure out that trading a bunch of copies of the same game to stores in the same area could possibly raise some eyebrows, you probably shouldn't be doing this in the first place. We all know that even though most Blockbuster stores take trade-ins, it seems to be a foreign concept to a lot of them. You start dumping a dozen copies of the same game around, it's not a stretch to think that someone might call one of the other stores in the area and relay the story (even if it's just so much as asking how to process trades).

Everything in this thread should be done at your own risk and at your own best judgement. Common sense dictates that we can't all be Kunai or some of the others who've traded large amounts of the same game - they're the exception, not the rule. Best thing is to play it safe and fly as far under the radar as possible.[/quote]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This.

If you really are gonna keep questioning what is almost common sense to anyone who knows how a business is run, then you shouldn't be doing this in the first place.

Just don't overdo anything and you should be fine.

Awesome. According to my calculations I'll be getting $140 in credit from BB tomorrow.

I have a few fresh new Gamestops/EBgames and a few blockbusters to hit up tomorrow too.

I'm just mad that I missed out on all those Fantastic Four trade ins from TRU.

I saw a bunch at my TRU when they first started the clearance and didn't even think about it.

Damn.

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']I'm just mad that I missed out on all those Fantastic Four trade ins from TRU.

I saw a bunch at my TRU when they first started the clearance and didn't even think about it.

Damn.[/QUOTE]

I as well.

about the different BBs you guys go to. What do you do when you go to a new BB. Do you create a new account or what? I just had to resign that agreement, which I knew about before. I dont see how you guys can trade in the same games at 8 different BBs and get away with it.

wait darkrider..

So you mean I can trade 2 at one BB and 2 more at another BB. its not based on 2 per account, but 2 per different store. If I do this they cant ban me? If so I'll try and trade another DJ icon or 2.

I should also mention that I was able to switch out the GH3 without a barcode with a case that had a barcode, so I was able to trade in the original GH3 to a BB.

The cashier was pretty cool about it too.

[quote name='DarkRider23']At the same exact store? Either you have a really lax manager or you know someone in that store.[/quote]

Hah. No. Three different stores. And usually with other games mixed in over a certain period of time. Some of those deals also lasted a lot longer -- Darkness / HoV were literally 2x flippers for a month or longer (least it seems that way).

I was only trading in one copy of a game period per store until recently. Talked to the manager at one and he said I could trade in up to 3 of the same game per day...each day. Another of my locals lets you trade in 2 copies of the same game at a time. So I'm a bit more lax in my multicopy trade-ins...but keep in mind it's because I've been given permission by the manager. And even then, things could still fall down around me. No one is ban-proof. Well, except Kunai.

Safe bet is one copy per store. Anything else is YMMV.

[quote name='Link927']So what condition does BBV accept? Complete, etc?[/quote]

You need the cover art. That's the only requirement along with the case and disc. They don't care about the manual.

These are the current flips available. Post more if you have them.

I think I'm going to try and trade two HC's tomorrow. I'll see how it works out. Hopefully the manager is there so I can get a direct yes/no from him.

Went to a random BBV and the retards there had no idea about the B1G1 and everything was marked incorrectly.

I hate when that happens. Left with 2 games. The place sucked.

[quote name='DarkRider23']

[/QUOTE]

What coupon are you using for these games?

I think I'm going to try and trade two HC's tomorrow. I'll see how it works out. Hopefully the manager is there so I can get a direct yes/no from him.[/quote]

Wait a sec, History Channel is $25 used. Is there a 25% PS3 coupon now? Where is it?

:D

edit: oh its just speculation...

oh, I forgot to say that when I traded in the 4 games today at GS I just took them out of the cases, I jsut walked in with 4 discs on my finger. Worked fine + didn;t have to peel of those damn Bb stickers+ I got several cases now and one being the double forza2/MUA case.

I'm sure people know this already, but see if it works at your GS, the guy said usually they have to charge a resurface fee if they dont have cases, but he could tell these were fine.

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']I'm hoping for some used Harry Potter's.

That's gonna be a nice flip if it actually is a 25% off used PS3 coupon.[/quote]

Odd as it is, I don't think they adjusted the used price for Harry Potter during the Game Days sale. It's still 19.99 online (although the new price is listed as 29.99).

HP's been said before. Where did you get that price for SST? The website says $19.99 new and $29.99 used. Just want confirmation before adding it.
[/quote]

I got the price at Gamestop... I've seen it at 3 different stores still marked $17.99. Bought two and they both rang up as $17.99. The other SST's were up to $25-30 used I believe.

Heres hoping that the next coupon is a 25% off. Assuming values have held, Rock Band would be $19.50 -> $36. Eye of Judgment would be $17.55 -> $36 (and yes, they take it without the camera). My store actually sells it complete w/ camera, mat and cards for $27, so I will hopefully be able to sell the camera on ebay. Though it would really suck because SST would have then been $11.70 -> $25 rather than the $15. At least I left one in stock...

lol. who said the PS3 coupon is coming out tomorrow?

The first person to mention a PS3 coupon is a newbie with one post...

[quote name='Zunker']Was told new Gamestop coupon is going to be 25% off used PS3 games. Hopefully opens up new trade options.[/quote]

Used Harry Potter is actually $19.99; GameDays prices on new games are often screwy and lower than the used ones.

Generally, I try to avoid trading in two of the same game at once, but one BBV just doesn't care, one doesn't as long as I'm not trading in any more than two, and if anyone ever asks, I'm trading my brother's in for him, too. Well, we each need our own copy so we can play online against each other. Yes, Mr. Gamestop, that's also why I need two copies of Battle for the Pacific.

I haven't been pushing things lately, though. One of each coupon per store, thats that until at least a day or two later. Its times like these, though, that GS's policy of two GameStops in a mall and one in the next shopping center over is

lol. who said the PS3 coupon is coming out tomorrow?

The first person to mention a PS3 coupon is a newbie with one post...

[quote name='Zunker']Was told new Gamestop coupon is going to be 25% off used PS3 games. Hopefully opens up new trade options.[/quote]

[quote name='makstaks']lol. who said the PS3 coupon is coming out tomorrow?

The first person to mention a PS3 coupon is a newbie with one post...[/QUOTE]

yeah, but we've been speculating it since the 360 one came out.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']
GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD:
[/QUOTE]

and here I was thinking I won the lottery when I was able to purchase the rental copy of pikmin 2 from one of my hidden BBs. If I was able to score MvC 2 for 14.99 (possibly free if you did it right) I probably would be able to get hit by a car and still be happy.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Used Harry Potter is actually $19.99; GameDays prices on new games are often screwy and lower than the used ones.

Generally, I try to avoid trading in two of the same game at once, but one BBV just doesn't care, one doesn't as long as I'm not trading in any more than two, and if anyone ever asks, I'm trading my brother's in for him, too. Well, we each need our own copy so we can play online against each other. Yes, Mr. Gamestop, that's also why I need two copies of Battle for the Pacific.

I haven't been pushing things lately, though. One of each coupon per store, thats that until at least a day or two later. Its times like these, though, that GS's policy of two GameStops in a mall and one in the next shopping center over is

2 questions
isnt the gamestop coupon usually posted by now?
and
if I find a BBV with marvel vs capcom 2 for rent, and said i "lost" it would i get charged the used price?

Potential Flips(If coupon is indeed 25% off. Has been confirmed by some GS employees so I expect it to be true. )

:ps3:SST - $11.69->$25
:ps3:Rock Band - $19.50-> $36
:ps3:Eye of Judgement - $17.55->$36

Btw, jp0213 in the GS thread(for the 25% xbox 360 coupon) has said he got a hold of the 25% off used PS3 games coupon. That's who my source his. Hope he's not lying. PS3 titles look like a gold mine right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back