The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

SPECIAL NOTE (B1G1 free on $14.99 and under used games through August 4th):
All used games under $14.99 are buy one get one free through August 4th NOW OVER.

The second post has games that you may want to trade in to Gamestop to transfer some credit from BB to GS. Unfortunately with the end of the $10 extra promo at Gamestop this is much less useful than before. Some people may have the $15 bonus coupon or want to use the current GS deal (trade 3 get an extra 10%, trade 4 get an extra 20%, trade 5 get an extra 30%) so we'll keep that post going until the B1G1 free ends at Blockbuster.

Even though the B1G1 sale is now over, I'm leaving this info up for a few days for those who bought stuff and still want to trade it in to Gamestop (you have till the 10th there).

SPECIAL NOTE #2 (DS Lite's and new DS games now available at most BB stores!):
Starting just on July 15th, most Blockbuster stores got shipments of DS Lites and a wide assortment of new DS games that they've never had for sale in the past. Titles include NSMB, Professor Layton, Mario Party DS, and High School Musical ;).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are currently taking preorders for NCAA 09, Madden 09, Star Wars Force Unleashed, Fallout 3, Soul Calibur IV, and a few others (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values. I'm going to elaborate on the last sentence as people apparently don't understand that when I say regular BB's have the same trade-in values as Gamerush that it means [hightlight]regular Blockbuster stores accept game trade-ins just like Gamerush stores[/highlight].

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. They just started in mid July selling DS Lites at most stores as well. As a result of not selling used hardware, however, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Both Gamerush and regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for new games for a $5 deposit (or you can pay any other amount beyond that). Gamerush stores will get many more games in than the regular stores but unfortunately a preorder at either place is not a guarantee you will get the game. Sometimes they do not get certain titles in even if you preorder them months in advance.

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by many regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Guitar Hero On Tour
High School Musical
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Party DS
My Fashion Designer
My Weight Loss Coach
NSMB
Professor Layton
Zoo Tycoon 2
(and a bunch of other older titles they just got in on July 15th)

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Lost Planet Colonies Edition
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard
Wall-E

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Blast Works
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Rock Band bundle
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Wall-E
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

Sega superstars tennis for the ps3 is $13 at gamestop and gets $23 at blockbuster. The ones below are not any good, but will post them anyway:

ps3 (trade in value) & (gamestop used price):
devil may cry 4 $23 ($35 at gs used price)
condmended 2 $9 ($18 at gs used price)
viking battle asguard $9 ($18 at gs used price)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='emid123']Does anyone know if wii fit is in stock anywhere?[/QUOTE]

I say go to GS.com look up the local stores, call them all at 10am and see if any have one. Then rush down there and get it since they cant hold them. I got lucky the other day and got one used, took it home and thought better of it and traded it in at another GS for minor profit.

I just notice on my gamertag thing to on cag the last games I've played. SoF, Bioshock, Blue Dragon, TS2, and Forrza 2. LOL, I traded all except Bioshock into GS, originally from BBV. And haven't played ay 360 games since a few days ago since I picked up mlb power pros for the wii. It feels good to give the wii some love, last love shown since zak and wiki.

[quote name='toocool17']Sega superstars tennis for the ps3 is $13 at gamestop and gets $23 at blockbuster. The ones below are not any good, but will post them anyway:

ps3 (trade in value):
devil may cry 4 $23 ($35 at gs)
condmended 2 $9 ($18 at gs)
viking battle asguard $9 ($18 at gs)[/QUOTE]

Are those Blockbuster\Gamerush TIVs? If so, one could easily infer that the 360 versions of Viking and Condemened 2 would be selling for $15 used, making them eligable for the B1G1 promotion, for those who want to play (or still GS trade) them. No doubt they should have quite a bit already in stock.;)

So what's the best way to use this new Gamestop coupon for 40% (50% with Edge) TiV bonus in conjunction with Blockbuster?

I don't plan on getting Madden...so is there anything dirt cheap at Blockbuster with a nice fat positive margin in the TiV with this coupon at GS? And will GS allow multiple uses of the coupon for multiple Madden preorders (to be canceled/transfered later)?

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']works too. But the only problem with that coupon is that it can only be used once right. Since the other GSs can see your preorders, or can can't they?[/quote]

I think they can see your pre-order! I've heard asking for a gift receipt helps so they don't screw you over by saying that was a trade in promotion! I did this for NCA 09, one of the ass clowns denied giving me a full refund. They were only willing to refund it if the bonus $15 was taken off. Went to another GS no questions asked.

when you cancel or change your preorder, do you have to show the receipt? couldn't they see that you used the madden deal and deny you a cancel or switch?

oh yea, and guess which game i will be switching my preorder to...

[quote name='CaoPi']I think they can see your pre-order! I've heard asking for a gift receipt helps so they don't screw you over by saying that was a trade in promotion! I did this for NCA 09, one of the ass clowns denied giving me a full refund. They were only willing to refund it if the bonus $15 was taken off. Went to another GS no questions asked.[/quote]

wait..so ask for the gift receipt after you trade in your games for the madden preorder? or when?

I've bought a few Octomania's since yesterday, and everytime I have taken the open box up to the counter and they have pulled out a shrink wrapped brand new copy from the shelfs behind the counter. Its weird because you get to the store and you think they only have one copy because that is all thats out, then you go up to the counter and they pull out a clean copy. One store I saw had 4 more in the cabinet. I would attempt to buy more but the 3-4 blockbusters I trade at are all beginning to recognize me, and 2 of the stores haven't done anything with my trades they've just put it in a bin. One guy actually said yeah he traded those (the other games in the bin) last week. I'm glad i keep track of what games I trade where and have never had to trade more than 1 copy of a game to a store.

Anybody else experience something similar with Octomania being brand new in shrink wrap?

[quote name='swetooth9']when you cancel or change your preorder, do you have to show the receipt? couldn't they see that you used the madden deal and deny you a cancel or switch?

oh yea, and guess which game i will be switching my preorder to...

wait..so ask for the gift receipt after you trade in your games for the madden preorder? or when?[/quote]

A gift receipt does not show the trade in so in other words you would have no probs returning Madden 09 later for store credit, or at least I've heard so

Also, I noticed my Blockbuster was selling MicroSD cards (Kingston) and some other flash memory I believe. They did include the adapter also. Not that bad to use credit on. I was hoping they would have 4GB for my Sansa Fuze.

1GB for $9.99
2GB for $19.99

[quote name='TMNT770']Today's Trade IN:
Burnout Paradise PS3 - 9
Eye Of Judgment - 33
Clive Barkers Jericho PS3 - 16[/QUOTE]

Could Burnout Paradise also be marked down to $15?:whistle2:k

I had an interesting Octomania experience yesterday (my first one too). I went into GS, found the game, saw two copies sitting on the shelf...both gutted of course. But to my amazement, one of the copies had a "USED" sticker on it. But it wasn't a normal yellow used sticker. It was white, but it showed a price of $8.99 (the "NEW" copy of the game was tagged $9.99 by the way).

I took it to the counter, the clerk looks at it, and almost shits himself. He starts "looking" for the game, knowing full well that there's no way this game is used. He spends about 5 minutes looking/thinking what to tell me, and he finally comes up with "This was on the floor?" I tell him "Yes, right next to the new copy." He says ok, and goes back to "looking".

I started to grow tired of the stall tactics, so I chime in "My guess is that since you guys gut all your copies, it was easy for an employee to think it was used." That must have let him know that I know how things work because he hopped back up and said "Yeah, somebody who doesn't know how to do their job!"

Then, for a brief second, he actually thinks he can pull this off and tells me "Well, I don't think we have a used copy." I just give him a look that says "nope, try again", and he pulls out a couple CD sleeves with the game in it (no...those aren't used at all! :roll:).

Then he says "Let's see if either of these look used." He pulls out the first one and says "Oh, this one looks perfect! That's not used." Then looks at the second one. "Oh, this one looks like it has some dust on it." Ten minutes later, he finally decides to sell me the game as they had it marked on the shelf. It was like pulling teeth, but at least I only paid $8.64 for the game.

^ should still be $35 for 360, $36 for PS3

Bought 2 more Octomanias today, but only traded 1. The BB I normally go to is having another CAG dump a bunch of shit there (Berzerker probably), so they're getting suspicious. Gotta trade one tomorrow and put some more on Gears 2 LE

[quote name='nietzsche74']Could Burnout Paradise also be marked down to $15?:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Hmm, might be $14.99 :360: and $16.99 :ps3: That'd be a very nice deal :)

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']works too. But the only problem with that coupon is that it can only be used once right. Since the other GSs can see your preorders, or can can't they?[/quote]

I don't think they can see it, I think it goes store by store. I tried to cancel a pre-order once and had to go to the store I made the pre-order at to do so. Also I got in on the extra 20% deal for Metal Gear Solid at Gamestop, then canceled it and got all the credit back. I would think you can get away with using it more than once as long as different employees ring you up/cancel the pre-order etc. I used it once this morning and am on my way out to try it again. I should have results to post later.

Well I made my runs earlier but it was pretty weak. I did find and Octo which is nice but the BB didn't have much for selection. I ended up with GC/IR combo but only could manage to find Spiderman FoF and TH: PG which is going back since it's got a mega scratch on it.

I want to take advantage of the new madden coupon so I can get a good B-day present for my bro without spending a lot. But the two BB I normally frequent are pretty much tapped out. I always forget there is another BB pretty close but it's not a GR store so it always slips my mind. I know they'll have B1G1 free sale but for others who hit up multiple stores how's the game selection between GR and just regular stores for the sale games? Just wondering but I'll find out tomorrow anyways.

Edavis, which store was that? Assuming it's in our area, nice find. That's one I've wanted to add to my GC collection. I did sweep through and pick up 3 Wii Fits yesterday though. I'm an asshole. Sorry to those who were looking for 'em in Fullerton.

[quote name='Woede']Does anyone know when the next B1G1 free deal is coming up? Does Blockbuster even have schedules on them?[/QUOTE]

I think its annual, over the summer.

Also TMNT failed again...

TIV:
Burnout Paradise $19 (34.99 to buy, 360 version is 29.99 to buy)

Traded in today:

Octomania Wii - $23
Sega Superstars Tennis PS3 - $23
Fantastic Four Wii - $20 (wish I would have grabbed a couple more $10 copies of this one at the YMMV Best Buy clearance I found).

The cool thing about Indiana is Gamerush gives us tax too, so I get another 7% on all trades.

Sega Superstars I bought new at Gamestop for $15, although the website lists it for $20. They had no used copies or I would have grabbed one of those. They had a big stack of Octomania and surprisingly I was the first person to trade a copy in at the two local Blockbusters. Lately there have been a CAG or two abusing my stores. (Multiple Eye of Judgments to the same store? Come on. At least spread them around, there are like 50 Blockbusters in this city.)

Also, saw a rental copy of Mario Party 6 for GCN. The "keep it" price is $14.99 according to the clerk. The guy was going to make me pay to rent it before letting me buy it though and he didn't want to give me the case or manual. Might try my luck at another store that has more decent rentals.

I had a question for a BBV employee or anyone I guess:

I pre-ordered the Madden bundle at my local GR and asked the manager the release date. He said August 8th which is 4 days before the stated release date. How likely do you think it is that I will get the bundle early? I'm guessing its YMMV but I wanted to ask anyway.

game/bbv cost/gs with 40 percent bonus

mgs portable ops. 14.99 into 9.80
manhunt 2 psp 14.99 into 14.00
castlevania psp 9.99 into 14.00
iridium runners still the same
lego sw2 gc 9.99 into 12.60
bee movie ps2 still 8.40

not bad for less than two octomanias. even picked up a complete and mint byond good & evil. the gs i stopped at had some 17.99 condemned 2 and 3 eyes of judgment. i should have picked up an eye... but im running out of flipping steam.

So now that Condemned 2 is 17.99 used, that would make it 14.39 with Edge and the 10% off email coupon. I know it was trading in for $32 when this whole thing started, and I tried looking around for a recent TIV but found nothing. Has anyone tried trading in a copy yet?

Hell, same thing goes for Viking it's also 14.39 with edge/coupon.

[quote name='freshzen']I think its annual, over the summer.

TIV:
Burnout Paradise $19 (34.99 to buy, 360 version is 29.99 to buy)[/quote]

I just traded in Burnout Paradise for PS3 today and i only got 9 bucks for it.

[quote name='JJSP']Edavis, which store was that? Assuming it's in our area, nice find. That's one I've wanted to add to my GC collection. I did sweep through and pick up 3 Wii Fits yesterday though. I'm an asshole. Sorry to those who were looking for 'em in Fullerton.[/quote]

They were in the Cerritos/Lakewood area. Consecutive stores to boot:). If you're really looking for one I'd actually recommend waiting for a good GCN coupon at GS (think 30%) and find a complete copy. Every single copy I've found at BB is either sun bleached, incomplete, or beat to shit. The one I found at GS is damn near mint (I did have to buy a new double-disc case though).

Seems like there's been a ton of Wii Fits springing up everywhere. I was offered to buy one at my local GS yesterday.

Just a quick update to the post - Condemned 2 AND Viking both get $8 T.I.V at Blockbuster (Xbox 360) - the guy over the phone told me they both dropped to 39.99 new, but I wasn't expecting a huge drop from 32 each..

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']what are the prices for the buy after rent for those? The used price?[/quote]

You'll need to rent the game out, then purchase the game at the actual purchase price at a later time. For example, I found a copy of Pikmin 2 at a BBV so I rented it at $7. When I come in 2 weeks later I can just say I want to keep it and they'll charge me $14.99. However when I purchased my other copy of Pikmin 2, they only charged me $8... so I guess it depends on which BBV employee you get.

[quote name='freshzen']I think its annual, over the summer.

TIV:
Burnout Paradise $19 (34.99 to buy, 360 version is 29.99 to buy)[/quote]

Are you really sure about this? The first B1G1 I encountered was around March of this year.

[quote name='stone1061']
BTW....[highlight]I may be the grandpa of the group[/highlight]. I'm fucking 38 and I am fucking bald. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Ha... NOT (though close ;)).

[quote name='swetooth9']when you cancel or change your preorder, do you have to show the receipt? couldn't they see that you used the madden deal and deny you a cancel or switch?[/QUOTE]

Don't bother with the gift receipt thing. Just change the preorder to something else (you do not need a receipt to do that). You can even do this after Madden comes out. Just stroll in there a week later and say you picked it up somewhere else - they'll be happy to switch it for you (as opposed to canceling it ). I'm sure there's something coming out that you'll want (Fallout, Fable, Animal Crossing, etc). If not, switch it, wait a few weeks, then cancel that preorder.

Still, I do enough trading in there that I'm not sure I want to draw any attention to myself with this coupon for just 10% extra over what I can get anyway. Maybe I'll use it just once though ;).

[quote name='msam']So now that Condemned 2 is 17.99 used, that would make it 14.39 with Edge and the 10% off email coupon. I know it was trading in for $32 when this whole thing started, and I tried looking around for a recent TIV but found nothing. Has anyone tried trading in a copy yet?

Hell, same thing goes for Viking it's also 14.39 with edge/coupon.[/quote]

I know Viking for 360 had a drop to 23 a few weeks back. Theres always the phone! :D

I wonder what the chances are that used copies Viking or Condemmned 2 will drop to 14.99 (considering they're 17.99 used at Gamestop)
That would be awesome to get them in a B1G1 free.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I wonder what the chances are that used copies Viking or Condemmned 2 will drop to 14.99 (considering they're 17.99 used at Gamestop)
That would be awesome to get them in a B1G1 free.[/QUOTE]

it wont. bbv isnt known for beating used prices very often.. and they typically raise values to avoid inclusion in the b1g1

hit up 4 BBV's, 3 gamestops, today picked up multiples of Octomania one of the GS's only had a display copy. This trip took me about 3 hours going only around a 8 mile radius. Might do another one at 7pm going north since there is traffic right now.

53.XX > 115 credit at BBV, this has to be the best flip since Stranglehold

A little off topic:
$10 of $10 at Blockbuster.com starting Aug 1st - New or Used DVD

Promo Code: augappreciation

This exclusive offer is available only to subscribers. Order from Aug. 1-31, 2008, then enter the promotional code at checkout.

Promotional code expires 9/1/08. Use the code in this email to get $10 off your next purchase of $10 or more of any new or previously viewed DVDs from blockbuster.com. Discount is not valid for BLOCKBUSTER Online rental service, subscription services, BLOCKBUSTER GiftCards® or at BLOCKBUSTER stores. If purchase is less than ten dollars ($10), your account will not be credited the difference. Customer is responsible for all applicable taxes and shipping and handling for new product. Promotional code may be redeemed one time only. Internet distribution or resale of the promotional code is strictly prohibited. Not valid with any other offers. Subscriber discount will be applied to order. Limit one promotional code per blockbuster.com account.

Does GameStop credit expire after an amount of time?

I read the BlockBuster trade in agreement & asked about it & they said their credit expires in 180 days.

How long does GameStop credit last (on an EDGE card)? Does it expire too?

anyone?

[quote name='TURBO']Does GameStop credit expire after an amount of time?

I read the BlockBuster trade in agreement & asked about it & they said their credit expires in 180 days.

anyone?[/quote]

I believe it depends on the state law. In California, there is no expiration date or fee for gift card. And you can cash in if the gift card value is $10 or less.

Question: Is the extra 30% trade work for accessories too? I'm thinking of trading my sixaxis ($15 TIV as of today) since I just buy the DS3 for $35 from Radioshack.

anyone?[/QUOTE]

I have been told it doesn't expire so take that as you will.

anyone?[/quote]

I was in a GameStop earlier and asked one of the "Game Advisors" the same question.

If he told me correctly, the credit is tied to an account and doesn't expire; only the 10% discount sticker on the back does. I'd still take this info with a grain of salt, though. :whistle2:?

anyone?[/quote]

If you have them put the credit on a gift card, then it should not expire, at least in CA. thats the way it is.

Someone is buying up all the Octomanias in my area....yesterday 3 GS had them in stock, and by the time I went to check it out after work, only 1 had a copy. >_

[quote name='Link927']Someone is buying up all the Octomanias in my area....yesterday 3 GS had them in stock, and by the time I went to check it out after work, only 1 had a copy. >_

[quote name='nakanenui']Yeah, unfortunately with such good turnaround value, "snoozers are boosers" and "the early worm gets the ferrari". In other words, you need to act quick to beat all the lurkers.[/QUOTE]

For a while, it didnt seem like I had competition, but during this B1G1 sale, I realized for the first time in years that someone else was out there...most likely a lurker.

On the plus side I called up my bro and asked him to check out the GS in the area on his way back home from school, he found exactly one copy too, and it was that gutted copy, not that it matters much in this case ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back