The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

SPECIAL NOTE:

For those looking to transfer credit from Blockbuster to Gamestop the current extra $10 for 2 games deal at Gamestop (Wii, 360, PS3 only) provides the following options:

Game: BB price -> GS price with Edge+bonus

:360:
Beautiful Katamari: $9.99 -> $11.60
Bionicle Heroes $9.99 -> $7.20 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Bullet Witch: $9.99 -> $9.40
Cars: $9.99 -> $9.40
Chromehounds: $9.99? -> $8.30
Earth Defense Force: $9.99 -> $10.50
King Kong $9.99 -> $7.75 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Meet The Robinsons: $6.99 -> $10.50
Ninety-Nine Nights $14.99 -> $13.80
PSU $9.99 -> $10.50
Rumble Roses $9.99 -> $8.30
Spiderman 3: $9.99 -> $10.50
Spiderman Friend or Foe $12.99 -> $13.80
Table Tennis $9.99 -> $7.75
Tomb Raider Legend $9.99 -> $9.80
Top Spin 2: $9.99 -> $9.40
Virtua Tennis 3 $9.99 -> $11.60
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 (360) | 9.99 -> 9.40

:wii:
Alien Syndrome $9.99 -> $10.50
Meet The Robinsons $9.99 -> $11.60
Sonic Secret Rings $14.99 -> $14.90
Super Monkey Ball $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam $14.99 -> $11.60 (only good if B1G1 happens)

:ps3:
NBA Street Homecourt $14.99 -> ??
Virtua Fighter 5 $14.99 -> $13.80

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALERT: Preorders available for a few select games at most Blockbuster stores

Most regular Blockbuster locations (in addition to Gamerush stores of course) are taking preorders for Guitar Hero Aerosmith, Star Wars Force Unleashed, and possibly a few other games (YMMV on the cashier knowing about it). $5 is required for a deposit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell used video game hardware and generally have a much wider selection of new hardware. Many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and since then they have expanded their hardware sales. As of right now (Spring/Summer 2008) most Blockbuster stores are now selling PS3's, Xbox 360's, and Wii's. Most still do not sell handheld systems (a few apparently sell the DS but I've never seen them there). As a result of not selling used hardware, regular Blockbuster stores will not take hardware in for trades.

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of your choice of new games (though, it seems, some stores have stopped taking preorders). On the other hand, some regular Blockbuster stores take preorders for a few select mega-release titles (recent examples: Halo 3, SSBB, Mario Kart, GTA IV).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later. Stock is usually very limited and they do not seem to get restocks of most games. So once something is sold out they will most likely not get it back. Many of the "older "new games in the list below may be hard to find at this point.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:psp:
God of War Chains of Olympus

:360:
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bully
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Ironman
Lego Star Wars TCS
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect
Narnia
NBA Live 08
NBA 2K8
Project Gotham Racing 4
Rock Band Bundle
The Orange Box
Turok
Viking Battle for Asgard

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
40GB PS3 ala carte (no bundle)
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Turok
Uncharted
Viking Battle for Asgard

:wii:
Battle of the Bands
Boom Blox
Dragon Quest Swords
Guitar Hero III
Houses of the Dead 2 & 3
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
NBA Live 08
Ninja Reflex
Sega Superstar Tennis
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
We Ski

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='mkernan']Yeah, I mean... I have Calling All Cars downloaded, but anytime I have 4 people at my house, its my buddy and his wife.... and our wives complained about even trying to watch us play that game once.

Speaking of which, has anybody traded in a SIXAXIS at BB? Last time I asked, they claimed they didn't accept them.... which has just *got* to be BS, because I saw a used PS2 controller at my store recently. I'm pretty sure they just didn't know how to look it up.[/QUOTE]

Also if you guys were thinking of trading it in at GS don't even bother they only give $10 TIV for the Sixaxis. Totally not worth it.

[quote name='Draknight']Just picked up Dualshock 3 from my local BB. Here are some more TIV's

Eye of Judgement (w/o camera) - still $36
Timeshift (PS3) - $30[/quote]

Thanks for the update.

When trading in Eye of Judgement, did you have to bring the deck of cards or just the game disc?

I got EoJ bundle the other day on Amazon's DOTD $43.

[quote name='LimpDaddy']Thanks for the update.

When trading in Eye of Judgement, did you have to bring the deck of cards or just the game disc?

I got EoJ bundle the other day on Amazon's DOTD $43.[/QUOTE]

They just accept the game they don't require you to provide anything else.

Superman Returns 360 - $8

I should have traded it in last weekend. LOL.

Anyways, went to two different ones today. Traded in 5 games at the store that would only give me store credit. They have the bundles for all three systems up. I asked the lady there and they only sell bundles. However, you can switch out controllers for games, etc, as long as the total for the bundle is the same price.
Second place I went to had systems on display, but they dont sell in bundles. Woot!
They had a couple of 40G PS3 and 360 Pro systems. Wiis sold out, but it took 2 weeks to sell 3! I shoulda checked last weekend.

Anyways, gonna check back on Tuesday when they get more Wiis. Friend will be very happy if I can find one for him as birthday gift!

For those interested also saw a new ps3 40 gig bundle from BB for $499. Comes with Transformers the game for Ps3, Spiderman 3 blu-ray, Ps3 remote, and a HDMI cable.

[quote name='Draknight']For those interested also saw a new ps3 40 gig bundle from BB for $499. Comes with Transformers the game for Ps3, Spiderman 3 blu-ray, Ps3 remote, and a HDMI cable.[/quote]

Also comes with a free "Meh...":roll:

ok, whomever is calling GS's in my area and asking them to hold the GR games sucks!!!

Talk about unfair, especially when you don't pick up the game within the same hour. I guess I will need to start calling at 8:05 every morning.

For that act of selfishness I'm not going to share which GS is currently giving 60% bonus with edge for trade in's. I actually made a profit trading in SSBM today.

Screw you game holder !!!

[quote name='stoned99']ok, whomever is calling GS's in my area and asking them to hold the GR games sucks!!!

Talk about unfair, especially when you don't pick up the game within the same hour. I guess I will need to start calling at 8:05 every morning.

For that act of selfishness I'm not going to share which GS is currently giving 60% bonus with edge for trade in's. I actually made a profit trading in SSBM today.

Screw you game holder !!![/quote]

DITTO...I found a store that had some Fatal Inertials to find that they are all on hold...WTF...

Grabbed Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness on Thursday while making a final flip run. Traded in 2 Condemned, 2 Viking, 2 Fatal Inertia, 1 FIFA 07.

BTW, when I was at GS I asked about the next coupon. The clerk said it sucked: Save $5 off a $19.99 or higher game when you purchase GTA IV. I agreed with him. I hope he was wrong.

Was the DS3 $54.99 at Blockbuster? I know the sixaxis was mispriced early in the PS3 run (I believe they had it for $40 during the initial launch).

[quote name='doubledown']Was the DS3 $54.99 at Blockbuster? I know the sixaxis was mispriced early in the PS3 run (I believe they had it for $40 during the initial launch).[/QUOTE]

Ha! $40 is exactly what it should have retailed for.
Anyway, there a plenty of places that are selling the DS3 for $49 (Wal-Mart off the top of my head) you just have to look around.

Back to topic, has anyone heard the details of Blockbuster's Midnight Launch?
What time should you need to be there, etc.?

[quote name='Zimmy']Back to topic, has anyone heard the details of Blockbuster's Midnight Launch? What time should you need to be there, etc.?[/QUOTE]

If you've already put down a $5+ deposit, I'd think showing up right at midnight or shortly before would be fine. I doubt BB is going to be swamped, like a Gamestop or Best Buy might be.

[quote name='Vitality X']whats the word on mario kart's midnite launch. is that confirmed?[/QUOTE]

My stores are open til 1am Fri and Sat., so they'll be open anyway. I can't confirm anything, but I'm pretty sure most stores will be selling it at midnight. Def. call your store and ask though.

[quote name='mkernan']My stores are open til 1am Fri and Sat., so they'll be open anyway. I can't confirm anything, but I'm pretty sure most stores will be selling it at midnight. Def. call your store and ask though.[/quote]

my stores are open until midnight fri & sat. i'll give 'em a call when theyre open.

Given the sega superstars price drop at gamestop, any clue what the TIV is? Two stores shut me down on calling for prices. (probably busy)

[quote name='Karuto']12:01-12:30am, if you're referring to GTA IV. Midnight Launch is pretty self-explanatory, no?[/QUOTE]

I wonder if their trade-in prices will be updated exactky 12:01. I guess flippers better come a little early. ;)

[quote name='Zimmy']Ha! $40 is exactly what it should have retailed for.
Anyway, there a plenty of places that are selling the DS3 for $49 (Wal-Mart off the top of my head) you just have to look around.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I don't have $200+ in credit at WalMart or other stores ;)

[quote name='JJSP']The last Blockbuster midnight launch I went to was Halo 2, and there were 9 people there.[/quote]

I went to BBV for SSBBrawl Midnight launch...2 people (including myself) were there to get it. Then a friend of mine came in saying the line at GameStop started at 9 PM! BWAHAHAHA...i loooveee living in hickville :whistle2:D

[quote name='dyeknom']Given the sega superstars price drop at gamestop, any clue what the TIV is? Two stores shut me down on calling for prices. (probably busy)[/quote]

360 Sega Superstar Tennis $28.50
Wii Sega Superstar Tennis $30

It's rare that a new game can be bought from one store and traded for a decent profit at another :)

So is no-one going to fess up too holding games at GS in the OC.

He suggested I call him at home so he can have the stock transferred from other stores...

But you know I won't do that as it should be first come first served.

My local BB/GR finally got in Dualshock 3s, but it looked like they only had 2, one of which I just bought. I also had them look up the trade-in for a SIXAXIS controller, and they way they talked about it, it sounded like they just had one generic item for any wireless PS3 controller (like Gamestop does) and they said it'd be either $13 or $12 (can't remember which).

Also, if anybody read my lengthy story about buying a defective Rock Band guitar last week (here's the post), I finally ran into the manager who denied my return today for the first time since that happened. She was quite apologetic and was asking what happened, because the guy who she had call me never told her. She told me how she had felt bad, called her DM back and gotten her to agree to swapping it out, and then had an employee get a hold of me. The kicker was that she was talking about how great a customer I was and how I spent so much money there. I had to hold back laughter since I rarely spend any actual money there.... all my games/accessories are bought with credit that I obtained by trading in games to them that will probably ending selling at a fraction of what they gave me in store credit and all my rentals are done with coupons from My Coke Rewards. Anyway, just thought it was funny and its good to know they still hold me in such high regards as a customer. I'm sure the fact that I pre-ordered SSBB, Mario Kart, and GTA IV doesn't hurt either.

[quote name='Vitality X']whats the word on mario kart's midnite launch. is that confirmed?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mkernan']My stores are open til 1am Fri and Sat., so they'll be open anyway. I can't confirm anything, but I'm pretty sure most stores will be selling it at midnight. Def. call your store and ask though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='animemaniac14']I went to BBV for SSBBrawl Midnight launch...2 people (including myself) were there to get it. Then a friend of mine came in saying the line at GameStop started at 9 PM! BWAHAHAHA...i loooveee living in hickville :whistle2:D[/QUOTE]

I'm amazed so many people have stores open that late (1am??). Even my old GR was only open till 11 on Fri/Sat (10 other days) and they never did any midnight stuff. I wouldn't expect any regular Blockbusters to do so. They all cut back hours 2-3 years ago to save money and I thought that was a chain-wide thing - guess not.

And animemaniac14, clearly you don't live in hickville if you had a store open till midnight with a launch "event" for Brawl. Now, me on the other hand... :lol: My local store closes at 10 even on Saturday. I went in Sunday at noon to get Brawl and they hadn't even opened up the package yet. They had to search around and find it for me! I think I was the only preorder there. We'll see how it goes for Mario Kart. I might go a little earlier just in case - it seems like a bigger "casual" release than Brawl and might have attracted more interest. I don't want them selling my copy as I'm sure they have no concept of holding for preorders at this store (even my old GR couldn't handle that).

[quote name='mkernan']
The kicker was that she was talking about how great a customer I was and how I spent so much money there. I had to hold back laughter since I rarely spend any actual money there.... all my games/accessories are bought with credit that I obtained by trading in games to them that will probably ending selling at a fraction of what they gave me in store credit and all my rentals are done with coupons from My Coke Rewards. Anyway, just thought it was funny and its good to know they still hold me in such high regards as a customer. I'm sure the fact that I pre-ordered SSBB, Mario Kart, and GTA IV doesn't hurt either.[/quote]
I used to get that a lot at my old GR store which is why I was so sorry to see it go. I never got the feeling my trade-ins were being scrutinized and I was on the verge of banning for bringing in the wrong game/etc like the regular stores make me feel now. But I was told the same thing - that I was one of their best customers. And I was just like you except I didn't rent from them at all. I think I spent all of $10 actual real dollars there on one of my first trades. It was a trade 2 get any new game for $30 and I picked up Pikmin 2 when it was fairly new. I only had $10 in credit at the time (which was actually from a Christmas gift package from my company) and after the $10 for the trade-ins I had to shell out $10 cash. That was in Jan. 2005 I believe. I haven't spent any real money at a store since then. However, I did add a few $1000 to the bottom line of that GR store as much of my trading was done at other stores yet I spent nearly all of the credit at GR. So in that sense I did help them even if I did stick them with some useless games (a few copies of Druaga, Red Ninja, etc). The manager told me they loved that big summer clearance (2006?) because they all got a nice bonus that month from having an enormous sales volume. Besides one dude who drove 200 miles to clear them out a few days after it started I was probably the biggest buyer during that sale.

Thanks for the Sega Superstars Tennis TIV! It's a pretty good flip if you can find the Wii or PS3 version (15.68------->30).

[quote name='edavis0780']Thanks for the Sega Superstars Tennis TIV! It's a pretty good flip if you can find the Wii or PS3 version (15.68------->30).[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry - where the hell are they $15.68 at??

[quote name='Segasonic01']I think he means at GS with the Edge card & 10% coupon.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you're right - that's the last place I would have though of. I figured that had to be some YMMV clearance. Looking at Gamestop.com it is $19.99 across the board (NEW) except for the DS version which is $15!

According to the store locator the 360 and PS3 versions are not available (used) anywhere near me - Wii version is though... Hmmm... DS version is only $11.69 after Edge - wonder if that has any potential?

I'm gonna go to Best Buy tomorrow & use my $5 rewards card along with the 10% off to get a PS3 version for $14 after tax. If I trade it in for $30, a $16 profit for me :D

[quote name='io']

According to the store locator the 360 and PS3 versions are not available (used) anywhere near me - Wii version is though... Hmmm... DS version is only $11.69 after Edge - wonder if that has any potential?[/quote]

That was the only one "near" me as well...I saved the gas and just bought the Wii version new. (My son got the DS version for his birthday w/ gift receipt and it hasn't been opened yet...time to return it to target)

hmmm, so a potential 14$ flip? i dont know if its worth it, but sounds good.

So if i buy mario kart (full price) at BB, with this flip, its like i would have payed 25$, Out of Pocket. hmmm. can't argue with that math truly, ill pass by a few places.

Thanks for posting this! :)

Here's how to make an extra $30 credit at BB:
1. Buy a copy of SSBB at BB.
2. Trade SSBB into GS with 2 other current gen games.
3. Buy 3 copies of Sega Superstars Tennis (PS3 and Wii versions get $30, 360 gets $28.50.) (You might have to pay around $10 out of pocket, depending on which games you traded in.)
4.Trade in the 3 copies of SST to BB.
The process should go like this:
49.99 BB Credit- 45.50 GS Credit- 90.00 BB Credit

If you do this multiple times, you can make alot of money.

[quote name='asthmatic']can someone pm where I find a 60gig ps3 in los angeles/orange county? thanks[/quote]

GL with that one buddy, ALL THE 60gb PS3 are LONG GONE!!!

Ive called every store in San Diego, Inland Empire, Orange County and LA counties and could not find one...

[quote name='PATWRIK']GL with that one buddy, ALL THE 60gb PS3 are LONG GONE!!!

Ive called every store in San Diego, Inland Empire, Orange County and LA counties and could not find one...[/quote]

Thanks for doing the legwork for me. Now I can inform my cousin that he's going to settle for a 40GB system.

[quote name='doubledown']Was the DS3 $54.99 at Blockbuster? I know the sixaxis was mispriced early in the PS3 run (I believe they had it for $40 during the initial launch).[/QUOTE]

I finally managed to get myself a DS3 from my Blockbuster store today-- all that patience has paid off! It was $54.99.

Steve

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']Here's how to make an extra $30 credit at BB:
1. Buy a copy of SSBB at BB.
2. Trade SSBB into GS with 2 other current gen games.
3. Buy 3 copies of Sega Superstars Tennis (PS3 and Wii versions get $30, 360 gets $28.50.) (You might have to pay around $10 out of pocket, depending on which games you traded in.)
4.Trade in the 3 copies of SST to BB.
The process should go like this:
49.99 BB Credit- 45.50 GS Credit- 90.00 BB Credit

If you do this multiple times, you can make alot of money.[/quote]

What is the current TIV at Game Stop for SSBB?

picked up a DS3 today from BB. couldnt believe a controller was $54.99. just as much as a game. didnt complain too much tho since i used my credit

[quote name='PATWRIK']GL with that one buddy, ALL THE 60gb PS3 are LONG GONE!!!

Ive called every store in San Diego, Inland Empire, Orange County and LA counties and could not find one...[/quote]

[quote name='edavis0780']Thanks for doing the legwork for me. Now I can inform my cousin that he's going to settle for a 40GB system.[/quote]

Cool thanks patwrik!

[quote name='asthmatic']Cool thanks patwrik![/quote]

No prob. BTW, most of the BB's are doing stupid PS3 40gb bundles now for 499.99.

Everyone has heard of the new blockbuster well here it is:

blockbustertest.jpg

Featuring:

* Earlier opening hours (6:00am) for those who want to rent a video on their way to work.
* An old-fashioned soda counter co-branded as a Coca-Cola cafe with chrome stools and a
Black-and-white checkerboard tiled floor which sells Cappuccino and Fountain Drinks
* Televisions, Blu-ray players, and Video Cameras
* Free WiFi
* A hands-on video gaming center
* A dedicated play area and toys, books and T-shirts

That doesn't sound too bad actually. And look at all the options now to use credit on :drool:

[quote name='AK50']Everyone has heard of the new blockbuster well here it is:

blockbustertest.jpg

Featuring:

* Earlier opening hours (6:00am) for those who want to rent a video on their way to work.
* An old-fashioned soda counter co-branded as a Coca-Cola cafe with chrome stools and a
Black-and-white checkerboard tiled floor which sells Cappuccino and Fountain Drinks
* Televisions, Blu-ray players, and Video Cameras
* Free WiFi
* A hands-on video gaming center
* A dedicated play area and toys, books and T-shirts

That doesn't sound too bad actually. And look at all the options now to use credit on :drool:[/quote]

We better save up. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back