The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Agreed, most cities have stands for free newspapers (music reviews/gay-lesbian issues/scene stuff) that I grab handfuls of for packing. :)[/QUOTE]
:lol: I was only grabbing the weekly music reviews/social happenings type papers. I don't think there are any gay/lesbian free papers around here. But it'd be funny to ship someone something packed with those.:lol:;)

[quote name='soccerboy09']I believe Blu rays up to 19.99 qualify now. At least for me they did 3 days ago.[/QUOTE]
I meant the used blus. There were more then a few 16.99 used blus that i want to get from the 3-15 5-25

[quote name='kk012']If the BBV is closing, there is no 3 for $15 or 5 for $25 promo, right?[/QUOTE]

Correct, sir

Down to one out of three stores still staying open within 10 miles of my house. And their used game selection generally sucks. Guess it's almost gameover for my relationship with Blockbuster. Did get some good deals from them way back when. Specifically remember that coupon that let you have like any 3 NEW games for $25...hehe...my $180 payload for $25...those were the days. (Of course, those kind of deals probably helped with their demise)

Nope...LAN is 6 and Homefront is 6...FAIL for me...well its option 2 for me...only good thing is i was able to get the trade in credit to a gc w//out asking so thats cool plus the employee is a lil hottie...

I was told in the store that the existing promotion is good untill Jan. 09 and than it will switch to 3 for $25 AND 5 FOR $30 DEAL. Any confirmation on that?

I certainly hope not. That would completely suck for them to raise up the lower bundle by $10 and the higher one by $5.

Now if they included ALL games of every price range in those bundles, then I might have to buy back my copy of Dungeon Siege 3 and grab a couple other games I've been on the fence about for that kinda deal.;)

I was told in the store that the existing promotion is good untill Jan. 09 and than it will switch to 3 for $25 AND 5 FOR $30 DEAL. Any confirmation on that?

It might very well be true but I have yet to see anything about it if it is true.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Crap. Like I said, hopefully if the prices for the bundles are going back up, then at least they'll include the $19.99 games/movies in those prices.;)[/QUOTE]I wouldn't assume that it would include $19.99 games/movies ;)

[quote name='orangecrush']I wouldn't assume that it would include $19.99 games/movies ;)[/QUOTE]
So far this sale has exceeded expectations, so it would be quite the disappointment if they went in the opposite direction and jacked up the price w/o providing some sort of added value for the hike in price.:cry:

So, I finally went in to my local (closing) store and returned the game I had out on the Combo Pass - only the 2nd or 3rd thing I ever got with it.

They couldn't do any sort of refund, but they offered to transfer it to another store (useless as that store is 10 miles each way in a direction I don't usually travel) or give me 3 free months of the online service. I figured, what the hell, I'll just cancel it after 3 months. Well, first of all, everyone gets 2 months free (saw that while signing up on the computer). So really it is just 1 free month, but OK. And then, once I go through the entire process of signing up, it says it can't be applied because I'm already a member.

When I signed up for the combo pass, I got emails saying I should sign up so that I can see what titles I have out and get that one per month in the mail rental so I did that. I didn't think that was the same thing since it wasn't the two-at-a-time by mail deal and more of just an online "portal" to my combo pass. But I guess BBV's system sees it as the same thing. So I guess that disqualifies me from their "sorry we're closing" promotion. How incredibly stupid... I think I am completely and totally done with them now.

Oh, and they had games a whopping 20% off so I could pay more than what you guys are for the same stuff (at least the $14.99 and under). They are selling most of the rental DVDs for $9.99 each - yeah, uh, no thanks...

I found out one of the other really good stores is closing also. Guess what? They are closing the two profitable (and best run) stores in the distict. That's thinking with your ass! (Bender reference ;)).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So far this sale has exceeded expectations, so it would be quite the disappointment if they went in the opposite direction and jacked up the price w/o providing some sort of added value for the hike in price.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Regardless, there's still at least one more week of the awesome sale ... PRICE DROPS PRICE DROPS PRICE DROPS!!! Come on Portal 2! Dues Ex!

this is off topic but kinda related cuz of store closings, but in the last year the last two big bookstores (barnes n noble and borders) have both closed here. that sucks. i remember when b dalton and walden books and those 2 were all around. i guess we are all playing games and not reading anymore ;) sadface

[quote name='ivos']I was told in the store that the existing promotion is good untill Jan. 09 and than it will switch to 3 for $25 AND 5 FOR $30 DEAL. Any confirmation on that?[/QUOTE]

I asked a manager yesterday and she said all that she knew was that it was extended and they could be told anytime that it is over.

[quote name='ploppsdman']Regardless, there's still at least one more week of the awesome sale ... PRICE DROPS PRICE DROPS PRICE DROPS!!! Come on Portal 2! Dues Ex![/QUOTE]
Considering I think Deus Ex just dropped to $19.99 not that long ago I don't think that'll happen. But you never know. It does seem like Blockbuster is running this sale for much longer than the usual BOGO sales. If they do extend it again and jack up the prices, then I hope that they start to include the $19.99 games and higher priced DVD's/Blu-Rays in the sale.
[quote name='Velo214']this is off topic but kinda related cuz of store closings, but in the last year the last two big bookstores (barnes n noble and borders) have both closed here. that sucks. i remember when b dalton and walden books and those 2 were all around. i guess we are all playing games and not reading anymore ;) sadface[/QUOTE]
I couldn't even tell you the last time I read an actual book. On the other hand I've sat here and read a ton of shit on the internet for hours at a time. I used to go through about 3-4 books a month easily and sometimes as many as 6-7 if I spent 4-5 hours reading a night.:whistle2:#

So the one blockbuster jacked up the $.99 DVD's on sale up up to $4.99... weird, guess they wanted to blow through some inventory and make room for everything on the shelf? Games also were at the 20% range, which was a suitable % off for me to grab a $4.99 game for the hell of it. Again, still amazed that this store didn't jack stuff up to MSRP like other store closings have in the past (and some have said they've seen), they even had the updated prices for L.A. Noire and Deus Ex (meaning that they were $14.99/$19.99 plus the 20% off).

I found out a couple of days ago the one of the stores in my area is closing. Crappy sales right now as usual for freshly closing stores. The other store in my area will remain open as far as I can tell. I live in a very populated area, and that's the only one now, so if Dish Network plans on keeping any stores open, that one should be good.

Anyway, so at the non-closing store, I picked up two copies of Homefront PS3 (one for me and one for a fellow CAG), and one PS3 LA Noire (already have this on Xbox, but I couldn't find anything else to pair the others with) for $15.89. Both the Homefront copies had unused Battle Codes, and the copy of LA Noire had an unused Consul's Car code. Score! Sold the LA Noire on Amazon, and after all is said and done, both copies of Homefront ended up costing me only $3.23.

my local bbv is closing and they have absolutely no games whatsoever. i don't know what they did with them all (probably shipped them to another store) but as i have $60 in gaming credit there, this royally sucks. i asked the woman working there if i can transfer my balance to a gift card but she said i couldn't because by law trade-in credit is in a different category or something. so i asked if i could transfer it to another store and she told me she'd have to ask her manager and for me to call back tomorrow.

i really don't want to lose $60 in credit. :(

If this deal is dead shouldn't it be moved to the dead deal section ?

Instead of being bumped with useless information not pertaining to the deal.

[quote name='Slappybob']If this deal is dead shouldn't it be moved to the dead deal section ?

Instead of being bumped with useless information not pertaining to the deal.[/QUOTE]

The deal isn't dead at all; as was stated in the last page or two, it lasts until the 9th, or as HB said, "indefinitely." I prefer the latter myself.

Also, this isn't a one-deal specific thread, it's a broad thread covering all current Blockbuster deals, so really this thread can only be "dead" when the business itself is.

I was hoping Hawaiiboy could give us the definitive answer on transferring credit on accounts at closing stores to the remaining regular business operating stores. My favorite BB is closing now, the only one left in my area said to tell the other stores to sell me gift cards with my credit. They seem reluctant to do that. Is there an official process?

Thanks for all the info also. I'm gonna miss ol BB....

I was hoping Hawaiiboy could give us the definitive answer on transferring credit on accounts at closing stores to the remaining regular business operating stores. My favorite BB is closing now, the only one left in my area said to tell the other stores to sell me gift cards with my credit. They seem reluctant to do that. Is there an official process?

there is no real official process but just make sure you talk to the store manager at the closing store and let him know you want the credit either on a giftcard or transferred to another store. it shouldnt be a problem to do either but make sure you dont waste your time talking to a csr or shift lead as that'll get you no where.

[quote name='Slappybob']If this deal is dead shouldn't it be moved to the dead deal section ?

Instead of being bumped with useless information not pertaining to the deal.[/QUOTE]
Even if this specific deal was dead, and it is not, this is the BBV thread, and is always in the main deals forum, whether there is a current promotion or not. As all of the info being posted is about BBV it all seems to pertain to the topic of the thread to me.

New here?

I only saw this at 1 store today and I went to 5 or 6. The yellow signs that say $3 for $14.99 had an extra part to it that said last day of sale (being today). The workers had no clue when I asked about it. That was the only one that I saw a sign like that at. My guess is that we are good to go through the weekend but might be good to call before heading out if going any distance.

Made my way to a couple of BBV in my area. Not a bad haul considering I had no hope of finding anything worthwhile:

:ps3:
Bulletstorm
Transformers WFC
La Noire
Tron Evolution

:360:
Bulletstorm
Dragon Age II
Prototype
Star Wars Force Unleashed
Lego Star Wars III

:br:
Inception
No Country For Old Men

Almost none of the price tags were correct. I had the clerk scan stuff that I had a hunch would be under $15.

Monday 1/9 all framed art goes to 75% off. And the 3 for $15 and 5 for $25 is going to continue on. It is not ending and there will be no changes to it. Got our comm. update to let us know it will continue indefinitely.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Monday 1/9 all framed art goes to 75% off. And the 3 for $15 and 5 for $25 is going to continue on. It is not ending and there will be no changes to it. Got our comm. update to let us know it will continue indefinitely.[/QUOTE]

Sweet

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Monday 1/9 all framed art goes to 75% off. And the 3 for $15 and 5 for $25 is going to continue on. It is not ending and there will be no changes to it. Got our comm. update to let us know it will continue indefinitely.[/QUOTE]
Nice, I don't think mine will have much more. I bought a Yellow Submarine one and an Atari one, the only other interesting one was a big marvel poster, but it wasn't framed.

Went to my local BB and they are closing. The liquidators are there and the games are 20% off. I saw a lot of games I would have loved to get with this sale, but it was a no go. Used blu's were $10, but I couldn't bring myself to buy any at that price.

Awesome. I want that big Atari one, and the Super Mario Galaxy ones will be cool but I fear that I may not be able to find those post Christmas.

Does each framed art have its own SKU that I can call into Blockbuster with?

[quote name='doodmandood']Is there a list of closing Blockbusters? Or do I have to drive to each one and check?[/QUOTE]
From what I've seen via the BBV website you'll likely have to drive to each one to check. Either that or call the further off ones to see if they can give you information as to whether or not they're closing.

[quote name='doodmandood']Is there a list of closing Blockbusters? Or do I have to drive to each one and check?[/QUOTE]

I sort of figured out which stores are closing by using the google shopping trick. If a blockbuster had a game or movie that would typically not be for sale, it was a good candidate for being a closing store. Also, if la noire/ homefront was showing up for more than 14.99.

[quote name='Wrong']I sort of figured out which stores are closing by using the google shopping trick. If a blockbuster had a game or movie that would typically not be for sale, it was a good candidate for being a closing store. Also, if la noire/ homefront was showing up for more than 14.99.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the noob question but how do we look up blockbuster prices?

[quote name='schuerm26']I only saw this at 1 store today and I went to 5 or 6. The yellow signs that say $3 for $14.99 had an extra part to it that said last day of sale (being today). The workers had no clue when I asked about it. That was the only one that I saw a sign like that at. My guess is that we are good to go through the weekend but might be good to call before heading out if going any distance.[/QUOTE]

$3 for $14,99 is NOT a good deal!

[quote name='nietzsche74']$3 for $14,99 is NOT a good deal![/QUOTE]

Especially when u read it the way u wrote it, like commercials do for car prices.... 14 9 9, just shy of $15k o.0 That's one expensive ass 3 dollar bill ya'll! :D

[quote name='godsmack13']Especially when u read it the way u wrote it, like commercials do for car prices.... 14 9 9, just shy of $15k o.0 That's one expensive ass 3 dollar bill ya'll! :D[/QUOTE]
Eh, outside of the US they use commas in place of periods for decimal places. I imagined him saying that in a french accent... :drool:

[quote name='Wrong']I sort of figured out which stores are closing by using the google shopping trick. If a blockbuster had a game or movie that would typically not be for sale, it was a good candidate for being a closing store. Also, if la noire/ homefront was showing up for more than 14.99.[/QUOTE]

Wow, nice call there!

Here's a good game to try: Fortune Street. It just came out a few weeks back and the closing stores should have had it for rent and thus now for sale (and yet it costs enough that most people probably won't buy it at 20% off $44.99). It is very unlikely that non-closing stores will have converted one yet and even less likely they've gotten one in as a trade-in.

I got 3 results for that one, and 2 of the stores I knew for sure were closing. It showed me a 3rd one that seems like a likely enough candidate so I'm sure that one is closing too. What sucks is that all 3 of those stores provided me the some of the best used selection during the last 2 sales.

L.A. Noire and Homefront don't work here, anyway, as 2 of the closing stores also have it for $14.99.

I tried my second closest store tonight and as expected the same %#&#er(read: not me) who cleaned out my closest store of copies of Homefront and L.A. Noire had hit that one too.:roll:

So now I'm still sitting on a $29 credit(on a gc) with NOTHING to spend it on as of right now. Unfortunately none of the local stores are pulling/converting anything still and the only shit they have left is really old garbage that's not even worth the $4.99 price they're selling for.:cry:

bread's done
Back