The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
None of the 1600pt cards at mine, just the newer ones...also no guides at all.

Ended up getting Enslaved (was marked at $16.99 and when I went back somebody had hid it) and RE 5 (started it but never finished it).

Was hoping for some better flips but not much. Was hoping for some other games too, but there just wasn't all that much. I have to decide if it's worth driving about 40min on Thursday to check out the only other one even close to me.

My problem with these sales now is that I have been following them for so long that unless there are some new transfer I have everything I have everything I want. Being a CAGer has killed my wallet over the years. Although the blu-ray sale has been very nice.:D

I got 2 games at my lunch break today and returned them before I got home because they where too scratched up. Maybe I'll have better luck on the 4th of July sale.

Guess prices are YMMV? New Vegas and Kayne and Lynch and some other nice steals in this thread were like $25 for me :whistle2:/

Did get some nice blu-rays though! -- does anyone know where to get some good cheap replacement cases? Ones that look as identical as possible to the retail blu-ray cases?

Thanks for this thread!

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']Guess prices are YMMV? New Vegas and Kayne and Lynch and some other nice steals in this thread were like $25 for me :whistle2:/

Did get some nice blu-rays though! -- does anyone know where to get some good cheap replacement cases? Ones that look as identical as possible to the retail blu-ray cases?

Thanks for this thread![/QUOTE]

like this one? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex&#...4026&skuId=9948775&st=blu ray cases&cp=1&lp=1

I didn't find any good games. Thought bout getting tatsunoko vs capcom and prince of persia forgotten sands but nah.

Just got back from the nearby BBVs.
Walked out with:

X-Box 360
Mass Effect 1
The Orange Box
Fallout New Vegas
Enslaved

PS3
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Metal Gear Solid 4
Resistance 1 & 2
Bioshock
Killzone 2
God of War 3
Assassin's Creed 2

Want to get a PS3 soon so thought I'd start building my collection since the sale is on.
I really hope BBV stays around for awhile. Between this and their blu-ray sales I love this store.

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']Guess prices are YMMV? New Vegas and Kayne and Lynch and some other nice steals in this thread were like $25 for me :whistle2:/
[/QUOTE]

Did you have them ring the games up? From my experience, only about 10% of the stores have the games properly priced.

Thanks for this thread![/QUOTE]

Never go by what the store has on the sticker, always check this site first. Just bring the game up and it will ring up at the correct price.

[quote name='Bezerker']Did you have them ring the games up? From my experience, only about 10% of the stores have the games properly priced.[/QUOTE]

I didn't, as soon as I left I thought I probably should have ha. I might go back tomorrow and have them ring them up.

Made it to the Foothill Ranch, CA store just in time to make a rare sighting of el Hoardo in his natural habitat. The elusive beast known as el Hoardo rarely showers or wears clean clothes. This particular specimen weighed approximately 350 lbs, and was wearing an ill fitting tank top. It was interesting to observe that el Hoardo prefers to hunt alone. I observed him leaving his mate and offspring in a hot car in the parking lot, while he did all the hunting/gathering. While inside, he bought every DS and PS3 game that qualified for the sale, and over half of the Wii/360 selection as well. Stock up, el Hoardo, the summer is long, and if you are to keep your illegitimate child in diapers and formula for the rest of the year, you must purchase as much as possible, and sell them in your front yard for a markup of 500%. As el Hoardo staggered out into the parking lot with his massive load, the sun began to set, until Sunday, when the great cycle of life begins anew on the Serengetti Plain.

Woww, Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Party 8 kept my hopes up but I still ended up with Fallout New Vegas and Alan Wake for 360.

Bust for me. My local BB has horrible selection on titles 15$ or less. Out of 40+ PS3 titles, almost half was "Fallout: New Vegas".

Hopping for better luck next time.

Went to the local store and just found Fall out new vegas and Star Wars Force Unleashed 2, might have to give more stores a go tommorow to see if I can find all those good games you guys are reporting.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Found a nice selection of games I've been waiting a long time to get cheap...patience pays off!

Wii NBA Jam (14.99)
Bad Company 2 360 (14.99)
New Vegas PS3 (14.99)
New Carnival Games Wii (14.99)
Bully Wii ($9.99)
Carnival Games Mini Golf Wii ($9.99)
Dead to Rights Retribution PS3 ($9.99)
Grid PS3 (9.99)

$53 after tax[/QUOTE]

Didn't go in with the intention of flipping but just wasn't into some of these. Traded in BC2, Grid and NBA Jam to gamestop and got $47 total credit...meaning I spent $6 total for New Vegas, Dead to Rights, Bully and both Carnival games

Winning!

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']I've seen some like that online when I was looking around but they looked (and may just be the picture) a lot of lighter than the retail discs, but it could just be the picture.[/QUOTE]

no they' look identical to the viva elite retail cases. probably the best knockoffs I've seen

I just got fuckED by stupid BBV employee. I called and ask if they had ME2 and F:NV. She said they had 1 copy of ME2 and plenty of F:NV.

I told her to set aside the games for me and she agreed. I told her i'd be there within the hour. I go there, she says she was too busy and forgot. Knew it was a bad sign, went to go check the games.

No ME2. Dumb fuck made me waste my time and my gas.

I hope BBV goes bankrupt. Bad service, bad company.

Here is my haul from today from 4 local Blockbusters.

Wii:
Super Mario Galaxy (14.99)
Dead Rising Chop Till You Drop (14.99)
Spryo: Dawn of the Dragon (9.99)

Got New Vegas (PS3) and Animal Crossing (DS). Kind of regret getting the DS game since I couldn't find anything significantly better.

Kind of surprised that I didn't find of God of War III, there was a lot of copies before the sale. Should have gotten the original No More Heroes for the Wii, but heard that there will be a new version/remake of the original coming to PS3/Xbox 360.

[quote name='akuma77']I just got fuckED by stupid BBV employee. I called and ask if they had ME2 and F:NV. She said they had 1 copy of ME2 and plenty of F:NV.

I told her to set aside the games for me and she agreed. I told her i'd be there within the hour. I go there, she says she was too busy and forgot. Knew it was a bad sign, went to go check the games.

I hope BBV goes bankrupt. Bad service, bad company.[/QUOTE]
This seems like an unnecessary amount of rage. Have you been to a BBV recently? There tends to be 1 employee and the line of customers can back up quickly, your request would be at the bottom of her priorities list.

[quote name='akuma77']I just got fuckED by stupid BBV employee. I called and ask if they had ME2 and F:NV. She said they had 1 copy of ME2 and plenty of F:NV.

I hope BBV goes bankrupt. Bad service, bad company.[/QUOTE]

That's outrageous! What did the police say?

[quote name='troy2007']That's outrageous! What did the police say?[/QUOTE]
they told me not to choke a bitch next time

[quote name='headlikeahole']got
NBA2K7 360 14.99
Crackdown 360 14.99
NHL 08 360 14.99
Forza 360 14.99

Ta-Dow!!! i made out like a bandit today...All the guys at work think im so bad ass when i told them i stole the games...Looks like a promotion for me[/QUOTE]

Forza 3 or Forza 2 ?

Did I see someone say Kingdom Hearts 358 Days for DS was only $9.99? I passed it up at $14.99 at a store that had pretty much everything else tagged correctly. So I'd be surprised if that was really $9.99.

I got a few things to keep (like FO:NV) and a few to trade to GS. I don't think anyone will miss Jeopardy and SWFU II for Wii (which I saw 3 of at the 2 stores I went to).

Both stores I went to out here north of Atlanta were pretty well stocked - way more so than my local store back home would be I'm sure.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Forza 3 or Forza 2 ?[/QUOTE]

He's not a real poster. All those games are $5 and under at GS, and nobody's that stupid.

First I got a new ds lite for $97

DS games
Pokemon Rangers SOA ($14.99)
Cars Race O rama ($9.99)
Scribblenauts ($14.99)

PS3 Games
$14.99
Metal Gear Solid 4
Assassin's Creed 2
X-men Origins Wolverine
Fallout New Vegas
Wolfenstein

$9.99
Burnout Paradise
Terminator Salvation
The Godfather 2
Legends of Wrestle Mania
Fear
Dead Space

$6.99
Turning Point
Spiderman 3

$4.99
Virtua Tennis 3
Narnia Prince Caspian

So before tax it was a little under $100 for all the games

I think all in all (four BBV's), I walked out with x 3 Fallout - New Vegas (Xbox 360); x 4 Fallout - New Vegas (PS3); AMAZON is giving $12 for each; with the GameStop (40%+) I could come out alright.

The thing about it is, I HATE Fallout - New Vegas; just couldn't pass them up. All of them were fully intact (manual, art, etc.) and in great condition. Found x 2 DiRT 2's (PS3), G-Force (PS3) Borderlands (Xbox 360), Bioshock 2 (Xbox 360); all were $9.99 minus the Fallout - New Vegas ($14.99). Not bad, in my opinion.

[quote name='akuma77']
I go there, she says she was too busy and forgot.
.[/QUOTE]

This one made me laugh out loud for real!

can I return any of these games or exchange them for equal value games? I have a receipt and may want to return Skate 2.

are all sales final?

[quote name='fishwaterjohn']I think all in all (four BBV's), I walked out with x 3 Fallout - New Vegas (Xbox 360); x 4 Fallout - New Vegas (PS3); AMAZON is giving $12 for each; with the GameStop (40%+) I could come out alright.

The thing about it is, I HATE Fallout - New Vegas; just couldn't pass them up. All of them were fully intact (manual, art, etc.) and in great condition. Found x 2 DiRT 2's (PS3), G-Force (PS3) Borderlands (Xbox 360), Bioshock 2 (Xbox 360); all were $9.99 minus the Fallout - New Vegas ($14.99). Not bad, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]I feel sorry for anyone going to the stores looking for games to actually PLAY, since it's just Ferengi cleaning them out and flipping them to Amazon or Gamestop. :shame: "Man, I hate this game so hard, but I can turn $15 into $24 credit or more! w00t!!! I am so l337!!!1!!1eleven!! Sucks to be anyone looking for it to play, cuz I bought all the good ones!!!" Bah. :oldman:

[quote name='savethekeywork']can I return any of these games or exchange them for equal value games? I have a receipt and may want to return Skate 2.

are all sales final?[/QUOTE]

Yes, pretty much. But you can ask and might get a break.

[quote name='DirkBelig']I feel sorry for anyone going to the stores looking for games to actually PLAY, since it's just Ferengi cleaning them out and flipping them to Amazon or Gamestop. :shame: "Man, I hate this game so hard, but I can turn $15 into $24 credit or more! w00t!!! I am so l337!!!1!!1eleven!! Sucks to be anyone looking for it to play, cuz I bought all the good ones!!!" Bah. :oldman:[/QUOTE]

Well, while he may have gone overboard on buying FO:NV, it's not like the game is scarce. Everyone should have had the chance to get that today - even late in the evening. I think there were 15-20 360 copies at one store I was at around 9pm. Sure, there will be exceptions like the reports earlier where the BBV clerks told them someone bought $800+ worth of stuff earlier in the day. Seriously, though, I don't get that - there isn't much to be made off of most of this stuff. They are also supposed to limit people to 2 of each game per day so anyone getting more than 2 copies is against policy (though maybe that has changed with the new ownership - but it used to be that way).

But when there's so many copies of something I don't have a problem with people getting some extras to help pay off the ones they keep.

my BBV has 30 copies of FO:NV, actually thats the only game they have here that is worth buying.

oh and heavenly sword

Hi DirkBelig/The Belligerent One,

I was just giving my experience today at BBV; "all the good ones" (I honestly think there were/are enough Fallout - New Vegas' in Blockbuster's in the Lower 48, to be a part of the PSN '"Welcome Back" Appreciation Program'.

I'm trying to get "Fight Night Champion". I have thrown the kitchen sink at folks on this board and several others trying to get it, via reasonable trades (including SOCOM4, COD Black Ops, LA Noire....just to name a few) to no avail.

My apologies if you disapprove of my tactics here. Money ain't everything.

Thanks as always. cag. Especially hawaiiboy & io. You never let me down. I saw this thread this morning before going to work, but wasn't sure it was today. Then I checked it on my phone at lunch, saw 7 pages, and knew it had to be on. So I stopped by my normal 4 stores. And of course at the 1st one the guy had no idea about the sale. And when he asked the other lady working, she insisted it wasn't going on, because she "definitely would have known." So I just politely asked him to scan the games. The look on his face was almost as awesome as scoring New Vegas & Enslaved for $16.xx.

One of the stores in my area had a 2 tables of random gaming merchandise for 50% off first thing i noticed were MS points cards i instantly snagged a 4000 for $25 and a 1600 for $10 :)

They also had Wii points cards too dunno if i should go back tomorrow and pick those up.

[quote name='maddy2333']Was this a one day only thing? :C[/QUOTE]

no it'll be going on all week to the best of my knowledge. also dvd's going on sale later on this week into the weekend.

[quote name='foreinter']Is Dead to Rights: Retribution a good game? Saw some copies in BB and wonder if I should pick it up.[/QUOTE]

it's alright for under $10. not spectacular or anything, but worth checking out

[quote name='AteBit']One of the stores in my area had a 2 tables of random gaming merchandise for 50% off first thing i noticed were MS points cards i instantly snagged a 4000 for $25 and a 1600 for $10 :)

They also had Wii points cards too dunno if i should go back tomorrow and pick those up.[/QUOTE]

Were there any psn cards? that would be great

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']no it'll be going on all week to the best of my knowledge. also dvd's going on sale later on this week into the weekend.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! :)

Went to four stores today, most of them pretty well stocked. Ballin on a budget but I did end up with:

Enslaved 360
White Knight Chronicles
F:NV 360
Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway 360
Singularity 360
Blood Bowl 360

Saw a couple other things I was interested in, may crack and go back for them in the next couple days. Two I really wanted and was surprised to not find were Alan Wake and DA:O ps3. But I'm happy with my haul.

Also, I spotted some half price Nintendo points cards in the plastic packaging, wish they had been Microsoft cards like someone else reported, woulda swiped em up. Happy hunting!

Not many games (beside 30+ FO:NV) at my store but I was able to pick up Pokemon Diamond and Pearl complete for 14.99 + tax. Best price I have ever gotten for Pokemon games.

[quote name='spacegundam0079']Bellmore/Merrick one had not much when i was there this morning left Lots of FO:LV ended up picking up Madagascar 2 , Hot Wheels , Moto 07 and for myself Just Cause all 360 and 10 Disney Blus for the kids , Totally got spoiled on the last one[/QUOTE]

The one on Jerusalem Avenue had slim pickings for me, especially on the DS stuff. There WAS loads of stuff in stock (employee said more or less no one had been there) for 360, Wii and PS3, just mostly shit. Couple of NV copies MISTAKINGLY marked @ $25, employee told me it was indeed $15. ($15 price is not YMMV!)
I will probably pick that up and RE: Umbrella Chronicles, and maybe Bioshock 2 + Ghostbusters, when I return my free rental on Friday. I was frustrated however, since the PS3 stuff was REALLY good... but that has no use to me.
Also, if anyone is local and cares they had a copy of ME2 for $10 but it was in a generic case with no art-insert or manual.

I'm thinking of hitting the one in Hicksville later this week, we'll see how it goes.

The sale ends by the end of the month, so it's not one day only. Might have to pick up those discounted points card, I assume BBVs don't carry years of Live? Lastly, I hate anyone who managed to pick up a copy of Tats vs. Capcom, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl or any decent 1st party game for Wii.

I found a huge score at one store!

:Wii:
Tatsunoko vs. capcom
Warioland
...that ocean game

:ps3:
Assassin's Creed Ii
Bioshock 2
Borderlands
Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas
FEAR 2
God of War III
Kane & Lynch 2
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Prince of Persia
Soul Calibur IV
White Knight Chronicles

The only one I couldn't find was Singularity for the PS3. If anyone has an extra copy, I'd trade for Kane & Lynch 2!

[quote name='io']Well, while he may have gone overboard on buying FO:NV, it's not like the game is scarce. Everyone should have had the chance to get that today - even late in the evening. I think there were 15-20 360 copies at one store I was at around 9pm. Sure, there will be exceptions like the reports earlier where the BBV clerks told them someone bought $800+ worth of stuff earlier in the day. Seriously, though, I don't get that - there isn't much to be made off of most of this stuff. They are also supposed to limit people to 2 of each game per day so anyone getting more than 2 copies is against policy (though maybe that has changed with the new ownership - but it used to be that way).

But when there's so many copies of something I don't have a problem with people getting some extras to help pay off the ones they keep.[/QUOTE]
But you forget, people will wait till the last day of this BOGO sale to go in to try and find a copy of Fallout New Vegas and by then there may be none left.

So then they'll come on here and say how it's the hoarders fault that they couldn't find one and so on and so forth.:roll:

People will never be happy no matter what. But it just seems like any time someone mentions the words flipping and games in the same sentence the people come out of the woodwork to put in their two cents 90 billion times over about how that's 'wrong' and it's just getting old at this point.

f anybody wants a complete fallout for either system, id be more than happy to trade for a couple of random wii titles that can be found at blockbusters.

also it clearly sasy on the sign that there is a LIMIT OF 5 copies that can be bought by a customer at a time. unfortunately I had to point this out to the rudest of employees today, she said "do i want the two copies, because thats all i can sell you". so I asked for her district managers number, but when i yelled word for word from the games section the fine print on the Ad, she called her DM who of course confirmed what i was saying. she also refused to listen to me when I repeatedly told her that she can ring them all on the same receipt AND still give me the best possible discount, by subtotaling for each tier but hey I was happy just to get out of ther with my sanity intact.

bread's done
Back