The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dyeknom']Not required to play through, though recommended.. but there's little sense in buying it twice unless the goal is to platinum the game/get the armor in your apartment (in which case, good luck as it really is a grindfest). ^^. Grinding isn't much of an issue since it will start you at like 35 with various skills.[/QUOTE]

While little sense the game trades into gamestop for 15 atm (including the .40) so you could in theory rent it for free. XD

Since it's Saturday afternoon, HB, do you know if any new games dropped in price?

i took a quick look at them and nothing stood out so i forgot about them. i can get them up tomorrow if you like. there were 6 or 7 drops but none of the $19.99 titles dropped.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']i took a quick look at them and nothing stood out so i forgot about them. i can get them up tomorrow if you like. there were 6 or 7 drops but none of the $19.99 titles dropped.[/QUOTE]
Ah, well probably nothing I'm looking for dropped but who knows it may help other CAGs out.

A month between the last 2 B1G1 free sales was rather odd. Any chance of it becoming the new norm or was it just a fluke?

I hate to ask but someone a few days ago was offering passes for Medal of Honor (cant find the post), but I just hit PM #150 and accidently deleted it >< so if you happen to be able to resend me the code (ps3) I would be very grateful :3

[quote name='izpep']A month between the last 2 B1G1 free sales was rather odd. Any chance of it becoming the new norm or was it just a fluke?[/QUOTE]

It was a fluke because of the two holiday weekend sales about a month apart.

Thanksgiving/Black Friday? Could be labor day at the rate they are going, but in the past I just remember 4th of July, BF, after christmas, and February as the usuals.

[quote name='IronZombie']Well I'm not expecting any more B1G1 sales for a while lol but hopefully Mafia II gets a drop down to 15$ in the near future I still missed out on that.[/QUOTE]If your interested in the DLC as well I'd look elsewhere like getting it in a B2G1 at Gamestop since the Platinum Hits version has all the DLC on the disc unless your BBusters had PH versions. I didn't see a single PH Mafia 2 around here, although there were several regular copies.

[quote name='jdawgg76']If your interested in the DLC as well I'd look elsewhere like getting it in a B2G1 at Gamestop since the Platinum Hits version has all the DLC on the disc unless your BBusters had PH versions. I didn't see a single PH Mafia 2 around here, although there were several regular copies.[/QUOTE]
I didn't find any copies of it at my BBVs but I did see the rentable ones (regular version). I think the game is 27$ used at GS and 30$ new (PH).

Right now if my local BBV gets restocked I can pretty much have the game at 20$ (unless it drops to 15$ like I'm hoping) or I guess I can go for the 30$ one. Either way I grabbed maybe 8 new games recently so I'm not in absolute need of it but if I come upon some great deal for the game I probably wouldn't pass it up.

The price lists in the op are for used games right? blockbuster keeps popping up in my google shopping searches and I am beginning to wonder if it's showing their price for a copy of the game used.

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']The price lists in the op are for used games right? blockbuster keeps popping up in my google shopping searches and I am beginning to wonder if it's showing their price for a copy of the game used.[/QUOTE]

Yes

[quote name='jdawgg76']I thought it dropped to $20 at GS for the PH version. 18 used. Match with 2 other 18 dollar games and it's not bad.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure.. GS's website is showing 30$ new for the PH and 27 or 28 I think for the used regular. I'm not sure if that's up to date though. Would be awesome if it was only 20 for the PH. Not that I need any more games but I guess 3 pretty decent games for 60$ wouldn't be so bad.

Sonofabitch. Split/Second is showing up in my search at the one Blockbuster I didn't check during this last BOGO.:roll:

Oh well. There's always Labor Day.

So who else got spammed by BBV to refer a number of friends in order to get free $1.99 movie rentals till August sometime?

[quote name='izpep']A month between the last 2 B1G1 free sales was rather odd. Any chance of it becoming the new norm or was it just a fluke?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jdawgg76']Thanksgiving/Black Friday? Could be labor day at the rate they are going, but in the past I just remember 4th of July, BF, after christmas, and February as the usuals.[/QUOTE]

Now that Blockbuster is under new ownership, we really don't have an idea how frequently they will run the B1G1 sale. I just hope they keep up the 5/$20 BR sales and throw in the $.99 BR sale every so often (to get rid of stock).

[quote name='IronZombie']I'm not sure.. GS's website is showing 30$ new for the PH and 27 or 28 I think for the used regular. I'm not sure if that's up to date though. Would be awesome if it was only 20 for the PH. Not that I need any more games but I guess 3 pretty decent games for 60$ wouldn't be so bad.[/QUOTE]

Is gamestop having a b2g1 sale right now or something?

[quote name='ChuckyDJ']Is gamestop having a b2g1 sale right now or something?[/QUOTE]

No, not at all. The only way to get a B2G1 right now is if you have a coupon from renewing your PUR membership.

i left so many games behind at my bbv, they had every game you could want in the b1g1 across all platforms, i just didnt have much money on me so i only grabbed 2 games, no one else really buys games there so they're still stocked, needless to say cant wait for the next b1g1, i'll have the money next time.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Thanksgiving/Black Friday? Could be labor day at the rate they are going, but in the past I just remember 4th of July, BF, after christmas, and February as the usuals.[/QUOTE]

Last year there was one around Labor day; they seem to be centering them around holidays now; Christmas, Memorial, July 4.

Price drops 7/11

:ps3:
Killzone 3 $39.99
MVC 3 $39.99
Move sports champions $14.99
Move the shoot $19.99

:360:
Lego star wars III $34.99
MVC 3 $29.99 (yes $10 difference from :ps3:)
test drive unlimited 2 $19.99

:wii:
COD black ops $29.99

I was out of town for the sale, stopped by my local BBV yesterday and was told it was their last day. They were informed on Thursday that they were closing. couldn't convince them to sell me anthing on the cheap...everything is being shipped out.

She said it was because they are in the red. They lost $7000 last year and projected to lose $11,000 this year. Weird since it is (was) the only video store in town after HWV closed.

[quote name='h2dk']I was out of town for the sale, stopped by my local BBV yesterday and was told it was their last day. They were informed on Thursday that they were closing. couldn't convince them to sell me anthing on the cheap...everything is being shipped out.

She said it was because they are in the red. They lost $7000 last year and projected to lose $11,000 this year. Weird since it is (was) the only video store in town after HWV closed.[/QUOTE]
Most of the BBV stores by me are ghost towns 90% of the time, so they may not even be making enough in rentals and used sales to cover their rent.

Then again, when HWV was closing down I heard from the managers at each saying how the companies they rent from had raised prices within the last couple of years.

With the other options available now for media distribution(rental kiosks, streaming) it's safe to say that the rental business is in serious decline.

I wonder if any of the remaining 3 around by me got cut as well. Like I said, they're literally all ghost towns till the weekends or a major sale and usually then it's just the deal hunters like other CAG's hitting it up.

Just for clarifications, is it TDU 2 that is 20$ or the original TDU? I would assume 2 but just wasn't sure. I think that's a pretty sweet deal. Of course I'll probably wait until the next B1G1 to pick it up since I don't really need any new games right now and getting another title for my money is a much better deal.

To the posters above me, yeah.. I don't usually see much business going into these places when I randomly stop in to check prices. Seems like they are ghost towns until a huge sale hits. The rental business probably took a major hit what with streaming availabilities, RedBox, Netflix, etc etc.

There was a pretty big BBV 5 minutes away from my house that I actually gave a lot of business to (I would rent movies every week from them) and they closed down anyway so I'm sure that isn't sustaining them very well. I hope the company lasts though, I've gotten a lot of really great deals from them and I hope it continues.

See, now, in contrast, during the last few sales, all I saw were people (and lots of them) renting movies and games and almost no one buying any of the sale stuff. I mean, I'd be in there mid-day and during the 10-20 minutes I'm looking at games they will rent to 5-10 different people. And I live pretty close to h2dk. Was that the last store down there? I remember years back making a run down to your area and hitting up 3 or 4 stores. If this week was another round of cuts, though, I wonder what is happening with my small local store. I've always feared it was on its way out but it managed to hold on through all the other cuts. And like you said, with HWV gone, there is no competition within 10 miles besides a Redbox kiosk. While I see people lined up at the Redbox regularly, it would seem to be a somewhat limited option (not many titles available).

It's Test Drive Unlimited 2 that is $20.

[quote name='IronZombie']Just for clarifications, is it TDU 2 that is 20$ or the original TDU? I would assume 2 but just wasn't sure. I think that's a pretty sweet deal. Of course I'll probably wait until the next B1G1 to pick it up since I don't really need any new games right now and getting another title for my money is a much better deal.

To the posters above me, yeah.. I don't usually see much business going into these places when I randomly stop in to check prices. Seems like they are ghost towns until a huge sale hits. The rental business probably took a major hit what with streaming availabilities, RedBox, Netflix, etc etc.

There was a pretty big BBV 5 minutes away from my house that I actually gave a lot of business to (I would rent movies every week from them) and they closed down anyway so I'm sure that isn't sustaining them very well. I hope the company lasts though, I've gotten a lot of really great deals from them and I hope it continues.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='io']And like you said, with HWV gone, there is no competition within 10 miles besides a Redbox kiosk. While I see people lined up at the Redbox regularly, it would seem to be a somewhat limited option (not many titles available).[/QUOTE]

They need better marketing. The BBV left near me are now same price and pricing model as Redbox, but I never see anything telling people this.

And at least around here, if the rent is too high, they need to renegotiate or something. Every single one that's now closed are still just vacant storefronts.

[quote name='dys006']They need better marketing. The BBV left near me are now same price and pricing model as Redbox, but I never see anything telling people this.[/QUOTE]

During a previous sale (Friday before Memorial Day I think) this policy went into effect and at each and every store I went to they had someone stationed at the entrance letting people know the new policy.

Plus my local store has a giant blue banner hanging in front of it that you can read from 3 blocks away that advertizes the new 99 cent daily rentals ;).

After the sale, I was down near another BBV and went in. They were another lost treasure trove -- the most memorable thing was that they had at least 20 copies of Donkey Kong. Those guys better not go out of business!

[quote name='dys006']
And at least around here, if the rent is too high, they need to renegotiate or something. Every single one that's now closed are still just vacant storefronts.[/QUOTE]

Around here, anchor tenants seem to have leverage over the landlord. Sure, a Gamestop or check cashing place or Beauty supply shop isn't going to have that same leverage, but if a BBV is taking up 30% of your rental income, seeing them close is tough.

That tells me that rent is not the issue (or corporate doesn't see it that way). These are not locally owned and operated, so a reasonable reduction in rent isn't going to save a dying franchise.

ADAPT OR DIE! poor book stores, movie rental places, mom & pop pharmacies, newspapers.

Remember the song "Video killed the radio star"?

Internet=Music videos

[quote name='cshamilton']Around here, anchor tenants seem to have leverage over the landlord. Sure, a Gamestop or check cashing place or Beauty supply shop isn't going to have that same leverage, but if a BBV is taking up 30% of your rental income, seeing them close is tough.

That tells me that rent is not the issue (or corporate doesn't see it that way). These are not locally owned and operated, so a reasonable reduction in rent isn't going to save a dying franchise.

ADAPT OR DIE! poor book stores, movie rental places, mom & pop pharmacies, newspapers.

Internet=Music videos[/QUOTE]
But video did not kill the radio star lol...

also I constantly see signs for the .99 cent rentals and HUGE banners easily seen from a car.

[quote name='cshamilton']Around here, anchor tenants seem to have leverage over the landlord. Sure, a Gamestop or check cashing place or Beauty supply shop isn't going to have that same leverage, but if a BBV is taking up 30% of your rental income, seeing them close is tough.

Internet=Music videos[/QUOTE]

I've seen a lot of times where stores like BBV that were big or popular in their "heyday" often ended up with terms in their leases where they can either pay X dollars a month or Y% of their sales as the rent. Nobody ever paid any attention to it, and obviously the tenant never paid that during the years they were were making tons of money, but now some of these places are in really expensive rental areas and paying like 100 bucks a month because of that % of sales clause.

[quote name='dys006']They need better marketing. The BBV left near me are now same price and pricing model as Redbox, but I never see anything telling people this.

And at least around here, if the rent is too high, they need to renegotiate or something. Every single one that's now closed are still just vacant storefronts.[/QUOTE]

I noticed one that amazingly isn't vacant in my area. One of the many stores that closed down was said to be the best "gaming store" by BBV employees at other stores. They somehow knew this store got more game rentals, and therefore ordered more games and as a result had more used games for sell. They were correct because I would always hit up this store first during B1G1. They ALWAYS had the best selection. Anyway, they closed down and immediately the space became a sandal store; not a shoe store. They don't sell shoes. They just sell sandals.....

.... At least it's not vacant. :roll:

Just thought I'd share the 1 out of 10 local closed stores that isn't vacant.

My old Gamerush store (the only one within 900 miles) shut down a few years back due to lease issues (the manager told me this and it was before the mass closings so I believe him). It later became a credit union...

The final round of closings are happening now as dish has decided to keep 1550 of the 1700 stores that were left. No closing deals at the stores as they are shipping stuff out and closing immediately. So whatever stores are left in the next week or 2 are "safe" I guess til their lease is up.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']The final round of closings are happening now as dish has decided to keep 1550 of the 1700 stores that were left. No closing deals at the stores as they are shipping stuff out and closing immediately. So whatever stores are left in the next week or 2 are "safe" I guess til their lease is up.[/QUOTE]

So what if I rented a movie and the store closed?

[quote name='io']... And I live pretty close to h2dk. Was that the last store down there? I remember years back making a run down to your area and hitting up 3 or 4 stores. ....[/QUOTE]

I was told they were the only ones getting the axe, there are still 3 in Salem...for now

[quote name='Jordan1080']So what if I rented a movie and the store closed?[/QUOTE]

I rented on Sunday (the day the store closed) and was told I had until Wednesday to return (and they would waive the late fees). After that, I would have to return to a different store and be charged the late fees.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Price drops 7/11

:ps3:
Killzone 3 $39.99
MVC 3 $39.99
Move sports champions $14.99
Move the shoot $19.99

:360:
Lego star wars III $34.99
MVC 3 $29.99 (yes $10 difference from :ps3:)
test drive unlimited 2 $19.99

:wii:
COD black ops $29.99
[/QUOTE]

@hawaiiboy, thanks so much for posting the game drops. Did any of the $12.99 blu rays drop to $9.99?

Ok.. I have a HUGE problem. During the last B1G1 sale on the 4th of July I bought a used copy of AC Brotherhood and I admittedly did not check the disc quality as I was in a hurry. I let the game just kind of sit in my shelf for a while since I had a huge backlog but today I suddenly open up the game to play it and notice a HUGE circular scratch around the disc. It looks as if whoever had it before they traded it in had their Xbox just dig into that thing while it was spinning and BBV took their trade in without even realizing it.

So I put the game in my 360 hoping it still works and I get as far as the start screen before the system tells me it can't read the disc and takes me back to the dashboard. I tried wiping it with a soft cloth.. nothing. Would I still be able to go back to BBV and get a different copy? I don't think I have the receipt anymore but the game case does have the BBV price sticker on it and I'm hoping it'll be the same guy on register that's always there.. but I'm still uncertain. UGH! What do you guys think is my best option here? Would they still exchange my copy?

bread's done
Back