The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
The first one, the cell-shaded one. Always heard alot of good things about it, but never played it.

Also, seems like its a pretty easy 1000/1000 too, already got 290g in less than 5 hours.

[quote name='dgwillia006']The first one, the cell-shaded one. Always heard alot of good things about it, but never played it.

Also, seems like its a pretty easy 1000/1000 too, already got 290g in less than 5 hours.[/QUOTE]

Is it as good as the Sands of Time Trilogy? I heard it was decent, but just couldn't compete with those. I remember when Walmart had the regular version and the LE (which is definitely worth $20) as part of their buy 2 Xbox 360 games for $30. They still have MUA 2 in there, which they sell solo for $30...

I haven't heard much about the Forgotten Sands one, seems like more of the same, and BBV has it for

I never really played the PS2 ones (Though, i played the first one).

This one is pretty good, though it seems to be based more on the Platforming than the actual combat.

Also, unless theres some sort of increase later, it seems like all of the fights so far have been 1v1. (Even with regular enemies)

cimg4225.jpg]
[quote name='labrat34']no sale on MS point cards at my blockbuster. manager said they wouldnt count as accessories, and i even asked him to scan it to check... it was regular price[/QUOTE]

yea my brother just tried another one couldnt get psn card but managed to pick up the new blue tooth ps3 accessory for 25 i had to go back and get more psn cards
two for future bday gifts and the other two idk hahah managed to get the chuck for 10 and also the remote for ps3 for 12 not bad i guess for those who cant get a psn card i will probably offer one for trade or for sale just pm me if you got anything good and are interested

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
cimg4225.jpg
cimg4225.jpg

[quote name='dgwillia006']I never really played the PS2 ones (Though, i played the first one).

This one is pretty good, though it seems to be based more on the Platforming than the actual combat.

Also, unless theres some sort of increase later, it seems like all of the fights so far have been 1v1. (Even with regular enemies)[/QUOTE]

pretty sure you end up fighting multiple enemies at once, which is a bit of a pain. the difficulty gets harder and harder as the game goes on, I ended up calling it quits about 3/4ths through. I managed to stick out the newest PoP, but that was simple pretty much the whole game until that last level, that was a ridiculous difficulty spike too...

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']Ninja Gaiden 2 is $5? are there any other $5 games to pair it with?[/QUOTE]

Haven't seen any games that cheap, honestly, but there's plenty of $10 games if you're willing to take a $5 hit, (it's $10 used @ GS).

@ DG

The Sands of Time trilogy was mostly platforming but there were hordes, damn. Also, I'd recommend if you ever did pick it up (outside of the Trilogy HD for PS3), to get it for Xbox. I always found their ports 95% of the time kicked the PS2's ass. Hell the Gamecube generally had better ports than the PS2, funny how it's the complete opposite this generation.

Also, I agree with Horizon's difficulty spike complaints.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']Ninja Gaiden 2 is $5? are there any other $5 games to pair it with?[/QUOTE]

I matched mine with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon for $6.99. There were a few ~$7 games to match it with, but I didn't see anything for $5, unfortunately.

Picked up a 360 wireless headset new for $20. (66% off)

Also saw a PS2 FFwhatever HDD kit, but it was $30 and not marked 50% off. :(

Only went to one store, got a Fallout, Dead to Rights, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, and Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise.

Also Bullet Witch because I couldn't find anything else to pair with a $10 game. Silly game.

[quote name='dgwillia006']
Also, seems like its a pretty easy 1000/1000 too, already got 290g in less than 5 hours.[/QUOTE]

Just make sure to snag the last, easily missed, glowing orb just before the finale/point of no return.

Anyhoo, I didn't see :ps3: Star Wars: Force Unleashed on the list, but I picked that up w/ :ps3:Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction.

Glad I saw this thread before I went out today.

here is a timeline of all the clearance crap we have. lucky for all u folks finding game accessories as our district hasnt had any systems or accessories for at least a couple years.

General Merchandise
May 24 – June 5 50% Off
June 6 – June 19 75% Off
June 20 – June 26 90% Off
June 27 – July 3 Product Return

Select Game Strategy Guides
May 24 – June 26 50% Off

Game Accessories
May 24 – June 5 50% Off
June 6 – June 19 50% Off
June 20 – June 26 75% Off

Game Hardware and Software
May 24 – June 5 25% Off
June 6 – June 19 50% Off

Just now saw this, gunna check in a few hours, hopefully el hoardo hasnt gotten there yet, I know the one personally, he used to come into GameStop and trade in BB stuff at my store.

The Vacaville, CA store still has a good amount of stuff. Around 30ish games for all systems. Saw some 360 memory cards and Wii points. Also there were cheap microSD cards for 5 and 7 dollars.

I've only picked up two games so far, which were Crackdown 2 and Rock Band 3 for 360 for 10 bucks total. Also picked up a Buzz Lightyear, Woody and Minnie Mouse stuffed toys for 3 bucks each.

Edit: btw, just a heads up the BBV in Woodland was pretty bare. They barely had enough to fill a table and half of it was fallout new vegas. The Fairfield BBV was a little better and has a better seletion.

Most of the other $5 games I've spotted have been older tie-in or kids games but there are some out there. Off the top of my head other $4.99 360 games include: Wall-E, Ratatouille, Guitar Hero:Aerosmith, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Cars: Mater-national and FIFA Street. I'm thinking there are a few others too besides kids games but those are the main ones I remember seeing. A few different Wii titles at that price point too.

The two stores I went to in Brooklyn was pretty much cleaned out, tho they left a few FO:NV.

Why do these BB have so many FO:NV? did they have 20 rental for that game but only had like 2 for MvC3 and other big games?

Same here - MS and PSN cards did not ring up at 50% off. Still tons of blu rays and games on sale at my BBV. I think I am the only one buying stuff there :)

Lady working this morning said their distributor is sending 1800 new pieces to be added to the sale going on. Wow!

Just picked up all for the 360:
MMA
Dark Messiah Might and Magic Elements
Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts
Fallout New Vegas
Unreal Tournament 3
Too Human

All for $35, lot of old games but ones I haven't played yet!

I got more games last night but also picked up a few LBP 2 plush. I've never seen those at any other Blockbuster. If I was at home I'd be inclined to wait for further discounts but I've never seen these at BBV back home. At 50% off they were $6.50 which isn't great, but I won't see them again so I picked up 2.

I also have a nice stack of games to bring home with me on the plane tonight. I put them all in my carry-on since I don't trust them in the checked luggage. Hopefully that is not an issue with security ;).

[quote name='io']I got more games last night but also picked up a few LBP 2 plush. I've never seen those at any other Blockbuster. If I was at home I'd be inclined to wait for further discounts but I've never seen these at BBV back home. At 50% off they were $6.50 which isn't great, but I won't see them again so I picked up 2.

I also have a nice stack of games to bring home with me on the plane tonight. I put them all in my carry-on since I don't trust them in the checked luggage. Hopefully that is not an issue with security ;).[/QUOTE]

I saw those LBP plush here. They had many and nobody seems interested in those around my area so I decided to hold off for at least one more discount cycle.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']here is a timeline of all the clearance crap we have. lucky for all u folks finding game accessories as our district hasnt had any systems or accessories for at least a couple years.

General Merchandise
May 24 – June 5 50% Off
June 6 – June 19 75% Off

May 24 – June 26 50% Off

Game Accessories
May 24 – June 5 50% Off
June 6 – June 19 50% Off

May 24 – June 5 25% Off
June 6 – June 19 50% Off
June 27 – July 3 Product Return[/QUOTE]

Do the point cards count as General Merchandise or Game Accessories? I left 5 of those 2000 Point Wii Cards because I don't have the money right now.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']here is a timeline of all the clearance crap we have. lucky for all u folks finding game accessories as our district hasnt had any systems or accessories for at least a couple years.

General Merchandise
May 24 – June 5 50% Off
June 6 – June 19 75% Off

May 24 – June 26 50% Off

Game Accessories
May 24 – June 5 50% Off
June 6 – June 19 50% Off

May 24 – June 5 25% Off
June 6 – June 19 50% Off
June 27 – July 3 Product Return[/QUOTE]
Very interesting. Very interesting indeed.;) Thank you for the timeline. Are the discounts automatically applied in the system just like the sale promos or not?

Too bad I think the only stores around here that still sold gaming hardware as of the last BOGO went out with the last round of store closings or I'd pick up a 360 or Wii for 75% off.;)

If those LBP 2 plushes actually last till the 90% off I'll probably buy a couple for $1 or whatever they'll be at 90% off.:D At least then I could replace the retarded looking one from the LBP 2 CE.:razz:

I got Xmen Origins Wolverine and Heavenly Sword for 15 dollars at the Blockbuster in Dallas, Texas. PS3. Its the one in Oak Cliff thats on Hampton. There were a lot of games there. Fear 2, Dead Space Extraction, Mass Effect, Splinter Cell Double Agent, Skate 2 and a bunch of other stuff I cant remember.

I asked about the PSN cards and the guy said they werent on sale. Should I have asked to scan them or not? I would love some half off PSN cards.

No, the point cards are not %50 off. I tried this morning, no go. Several other folks have reported having no luck either.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Do the point cards count as General Merchandise or Game Accessories? I left 5 of those 2000 Point Wii Cards because I don't have the money right now.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Very interesting. Very interesting indeed.;) Thank you for the timeline. Are the discounts automatically applied in the system just like the sale promos or not? [/QUOTE]

I'd like to know this too. We did see some posters saying their stores didn't about the sale until later. I'd rather be able to walk in on day one of those 75% sales without having to argue for my discount :D

The point cards that may be 50% off would only be the ones in the blister packs, not the ones that activate like a gift card. So far none of my BBV's have had the blister packs for Wii or Xboxlive.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']The point cards that may be 50% off would only be the ones in the blister packs, not the ones that activate like a gift card. So far none of my BBV's have had the blister packs for Wii or Xboxlive.[/QUOTE]

this is definitely the case. I don't believe they even make the ones in the plastic anymore, so you just have to get lucky.

For the blister packs you might try asking if they have any behind the counter. When I used to work there we kept ours stashed away to make it easier on us come inventory time. We kept the blister pack Wii points in a cabinet underneath the POS.

Yeah I found Ninja Gaiden II for $5 at my Blockbuster yesterday. The only game i found that I could pair it to that wasn't an old sports game was Kane and Lynch: Dead Men for PS3. 2 games for $5 :cool: I was happy!

Picked up a Wireless Xbox Headset for $20. Really, nothing left at my store. They had a few strategy guides and most of the games were in not so great shape. They were pushing the movie sales harder. Lots of those around if that's what you want I guess...

is this sale not B1G1 for 14.99 and under? because I see some of you picking up games as part of that, but aren't 14.99 at my store.

I'm not a big fan of driving store to store but I cleaned out my store closest to me got 24 games and spent $150 flipped to Gamestop for $297 pretty awesome couple days

[quote name='JBLAZEisaCAG']is this sale not B1G1 for 14.99 and under? because I see some of you picking up games as part of that, but aren't 14.99 at my store.[/QUOTE]

BBV isn't the best about updating used game sticker-prices. Honestly, I bring up all the games I have interest in and have them price-check them just to be sure. (It's how I found out New Vegas was only $15, and NOT $25, and price-checking takes like 5 seconds). I would listen to this thread over the stickers in BBV.

Also, to the person who asked about FO:NV GotY, 99% chance of a GotY, considering both Oblivion and FO3 have one. It'll probably be $40, so $20 for the Vanilla game + $20 for the 4 packs of DLC ($5 each ain't bad). However, it'll probably be out late this winter (The last 2 DLC packs are set to release in June and July) at the earliest, and as I recommended to my dad, buying the vanilla for $7.50 even if you repurchase the GotY down the line is a STEAL for this game. It did only come out a few months ago, the massive bugs (which are patched now for the most part) are the only reason the price dropped so quickly on this title. Hell, you can still trade it in to Amazon for $12.

Lastly, glad to see all the love for RE: Umbrella Chronicles in here.

[quote name='Quintox']I went to my BB on the 24th and didn't see any 50% off anything besides the B1G1 games....??[/QUOTE]

It depends on how informed your store is, I guess. It SHOULDN'T be YMMV, you might wanna talk with the employees/manager.

[quote name='io']

I also have a nice stack of games to bring home with me on the plane tonight. I put them all in my carry-on since I don't trust them in the checked luggage. Hopefully that is not an issue with security ;).[/QUOTE]

Hahaha I was in Hawaii when that Halo Reach discount card/free/cheap games glitch happened at TRU last year. Even though I was able to unload a bunch of them at GS there, I flew home with a carry-on full of games...security didn't blink an eye.

[quote name='Velo214']turned another $45.xx into 90.xx at gamestop. woot. now what am i gonna do with all these gamestop credit?[/QUOTE]

So what are you flipping to get 100% profit ?

the employee at blockbuster told me to go down the street to the other blockbuster cuz they would have better/more games. Iv already bought 26 games in the last 3 days, i dont think i need to go down the street...

as far as 100% profit...just check around. lots of easy finds til the 29th at gamestop 3+10 or +50% helps too ;) ...

bread's done
Back