The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hawaiiboy']they will stay at $.99 til they are all gone.

[/QUOTE]

The manager at one of my stores said the 99 cent sale was today only, at my other store the manager said that he wasn't going to do the $.99 sale today because they started a day late and there company wanted them to focus on customer service and not price changes. He also said check back tomorrow he might have the sale then. He also asked me where I heard about the sale and if the other store was doing it.

One of the two closest stores got the Blus in. Picked up some random stuff including

GI Joe.
Case 39
Twighlight New Moon (wife)
The Box
The New Daughter

Nothing fantastic, just some random stuff that I was willing to pay $.99 for.

Request: Can we keep the movie hauls out of this thread? There is a thread in the DVD section of the forum for it. I'm here for gaming goods ;)

Hawaiiboy, if you get a chance to check the Wii Zapper, may I suggest you also look at what the PlayStation 3 Blu Ray remote and HDMI cables are listed as. The computer did not recognize those as accessories at my Blockbuster when I bought them a couple of days ago.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']they will stay at $.99 til they are all gone.
.[/QUOTE]

As with Stimes' note. The prices should return to 5.99 tomorrow. There is another one of the .99 drops planned for later this summer.

Picked up 100+ myself. I managed to find complete set of Spartacus S.1 on bluray, Social Network and a handful of really good titles.

Hawaiiboy, if you get a chance to check the Wii Zapped, may I suggest you also look at what the PlayStation 3 Blu Ray remote and HDMI cables are listed as. The computer did not recognize those as accessories at my Blockbuster when I bought them a couple of days ago.

I know the 25 ft hdmi cables are 50% off as I sold one today for $10. We have like 4 different lengths but I didn't check them all.

[quote name='vincentgrey']I saw some XBL point card and some Wii point cards for half off at the Blockbuster in Dallas, Tx, next to the Borders at Lovers Lane.

Too bad I dont have a 360. I really wanted some PSN cards....errgh.

I also saw a pink DSlite for 94 dollars. There was a sign next to it that said they had more colors.
There was also a 360 and Kinect bundle for 25% off, which came to 225.

This is kind of unrelated, but they had tons of Tivo DVRs for 24.99, marked down from 199.99. If I can use it just to watch Netflix Id get it. I dunno. I need to research it.[/QUOTE]

Just saw a couple Tivo DVRs at my local store. I have a HD DVR with Comcast now. How does this Tivo thing work? Do I need to pay a subscription fee? Can I just watch netflix without any subscription to Tivo?

Want to hear about people's blu ray hauls. That way I know what I could possibly find. Got 10 blus so far today. Still searching out there.

[quote name='foreinter']Just saw a couple Tivo DVRs at my local store. I have a HD DVR with Comcast now. How does this Tivo thing work? Do I need to pay a subscription fee? Can I just watch netflix without any subscription to Tivo?[/QUOTE]

I think it's $20 a month for the Tivo subscription.

[quote name='imacgod']Request: Can we keep the movie hauls out of this thread? There is a thread in the DVD section of the forum for it. I'm here for gaming goods ;)

Hawaiiboy, if you get a chance to check the Wii Zapper, may I suggest you also look at what the PlayStation 3 Blu Ray remote and HDMI cables are listed as. The computer did not recognize those as accessories at my Blockbuster when I bought them a couple of days ago.[/QUOTE]

Can we keep the HDMI discussions out of this thread?
;) j/k

Employees at both stores said they are boxing up the .99 cent blu rays tonight and they won't be for sale tomorrow. This contradicts hawaiiboy's store, so I don't know who's correct. I trust hawaiiboy over anyone else, but it's wierd that employees at two stores got requests to remove the 99 cent blu rays from the floor after today. Maybe it's a district by district thing? IDK. If the employees at my stores are correct, there wont be any blu-ray haul talk in this thread after today. ;)

[quote name='icarusmight']Want to hear about people's blu ray hauls. That way I know what I could possibly find. Got 10 blus so far today. Still searching out there.[/QUOTE]

Ok, in that case I bought 9 more since the last list I posted:

Surveillance
44 Inch Chest
JCVD
The Ministers
Staten Island
An Education
The Wicker Man
A Single Man
100 feet

Nothing great, but what the heck for 99 cents?

Employees at both stores said they are boxing up the .99 cent blu rays tonight and they won't be for sale tomorrow.

That could be the case as I was talking to another store manager today and he thought we would just keep selling them at $.99 til they were gone.We didn't receive any official memo about what to do with them after today. I was telling everyone it's just today to get the product outta here.

Anyone in the Indianapolis area find any? I went to the Emerson store (beech grove) and they had nothing as far as blus. Don't want to make an unnecessary trip if I dont have to.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']That could be the case as I was talking to another store manager today and he thought we would just keep selling them at $.99 til they were gone.We didn't receive any official memo about what to do with them after today. I was telling everyone it's just today to get the product outta here.[/QUOTE]

That could be why they were telling me the same thing, but an employee told me "We just found out we're boxing the leftovers up tonight." The way he said "We just found out" makes me think they received some sort of memo in the past couple hours.

On another forum there's a rumor (confirmed by multiple employees) that the sale will happen again on 4th of July. What I wanna know is, are the stores gonna have new stock? Or is it gonna be the same picked over junk from today. I missed out on Easy A, Social Network, etc... Got a few Scott Pilgrims and Eclipses for trading purposes though

I can't wait until June 6th when the net round of merchandise drops occurs. Some stores in my areas still have ps3 bundles and Nintendo dsi around plus a lot of other things that I will probably pick up.

[quote name='speedy05']can someone post what a .99 blu-ray looks like (the white sticker) so I know what to look for when I go in?[/QUOTE]

You will know because there are on a separate table or area than the others and the white sticker is just placed over the barcode on the back of the movie. Just check the back of the movie.

Went back today and found Too Human (360) and Bioshock 2 (Ps3) Overall got a pretty good amount of decent titles. The 8 1600 Microsoft Point Cards made this sale much better though.

[quote name='JmyHny']Went back today and found Too Human (360) and Bioshock 2 (Ps3) Overall got a pretty good amount of decent titles. The 8 1600 Microsoft Point Cards made this sale much better though.[/QUOTE]

Any interest in parting with some of those point cards? PM me...

[quote name='speedy05']can someone post what a .99 blu-ray looks like (the white sticker) so I know what to look for when I go in?[/QUOTE]
You can also find out if the employees tell you they have them.

The 99-cent blu-ray sale was epic for me. I picked up about 40 different Sony/Columbia Pictures blu's that are BD-Live enabled. You can register them online and get 100 points ($1) to your Sony Rewards account, basically making them free.

[quote name='guinness7']You will know because there are on a separate table or area than the others and the white sticker is just placed over the barcode on the back of the movie. Just check the back of the movie.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what i noticed, just a plain white sticker just big enuf to fit over the bar code. Crazy deal, first store i went to had a table with a hand written sign saying "blu-rays 99cents". Picked up 30 solid titles and then went to two other stores but they only had DVDs (sad panda). So i drove all the way back to the original store and bought another 30, stuck with many ones i didn't have but picked up a few duplicates for trades and such. Thanks again everyone at CAG especially Hawaiiboy!

[quote name='ballbarfer']Yeah that's what i noticed, just a plain white sticker just big enuf to fit over the bar code. Crazy deal, first store i went to had a table with a hand written sign saying "blu-rays 99cents". Picked up 30 solid titles and then went to two other stores but they only had DVDs (sad panda). So i drove all the way back to the original store and bought another 30, stuck with many ones i didn't have but picked up a few duplicates for trades and such. Thanks again everyone at CAG especially Hawaiiboy![/QUOTE]

Hm anyone know how long this will last? I might head out and look into it at a few stores :3

I had a horrible experience at a couple locations.

One place this weird employee walks to me and says everything 14.99 and under is buy one get one free. So I got a 9.99 and 6.99 game. I go check out and he is like...it will be 23.00. I said what? He just looks at me. Then proceeds to tell me that you have to buy a 14.99 game for the deal to work. I called him a dumbass and left. Didn't even bother to ask the math used to get to 23$.

[quote name='hellbringer333']I had a horrible experience at a couple locations.

One place this weird employee walks to me and says everything 14.99 and under is buy one get one free. So I got a 9.99 and 6.99 game. I go check out and he is like...it will be 23.00. I said what? He just looks at me. Then proceeds to tell me that you have to buy a 14.99 game for the deal to work. I called him a dumbass and left. Didn't even bother to ask the math used to get to 23$.[/QUOTE]
That's when you point to the sign that says $14.99 and under. What games were you trying to get? I went one store last week that was like, "We're having the sale next week." I didn't go back to that store, since it was sort of out of the way--and only worth visiting if I visit surrounding Blockbusters as well.

[quote name='hellbringer333']I had a horrible experience at a couple locations.

One place this weird employee walks to me and says everything 14.99 and under is buy one get one free. So I got a 9.99 and 6.99 game. I go check out and he is like...it will be 23.00. I said what? He just looks at me. Then proceeds to tell me that you have to buy a 14.99 game for the deal to work. I called him a dumbass and left. Didn't even bother to ask the math used to get to 23$.[/QUOTE]

Even if he was being a dumbass (which he was, no arguments there), no need to act the part yourself. I can understand the extreme frustration though. It is just always better to take the high road there man.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Even if he was being a dumbass (which he was, no arguments there), no need to act the part yourself. I can understand the extreme frustration though. It is just always better to take the high road there man.[/QUOTE]

You are right. I felt bad afterwards. The only reason for the reaction was because it took me a while to find a pair of games. It was a ways away from my home so I was determined to get something. Then I get told this at the register. I probably would not have been so angry if he had not just told me I owed him 23$ for 17$ worth of games.

Sucks that the .99 bluray sale doesn't ring up automatically. It would be a lot easier to just take the Blus to the register and avoid dumbass employees telling you they aren't having the sale. One store I went to essentially said I was lying that this sale was real, when I had come from a different store and getting 10 blus for $10. I would have put that guy in his place if I hadn't had my kid with me. Another store literrally pulled out 5 big boxes saying "oh that's what these are!" lol. Looked through gem but it was all just .99 DVDs. Will try one more store on my way home, hopefully I will get luck again.

[quote name='hellbringer333']You are right. I felt bad afterwards. The only reason for the reaction was because it took me a while to find a pair of games. It was a ways away from my home so I was determined to get something. Then I get told this at the register. I probably would not have been so angry if he had not just told me I owed him 23$ for 17$ worth of games.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I can understand that. I value my time as well and it is irritating to have it wasted with nothing to show for it, on top of being insulted by a total that literally makes no sense.

I thought I was going to be in a similar situation myself. I was in a neighboring town and stopped by a BBV and spent about 15-20 minutes going over the game and blu ray sections. Ended up taking up a couple of games and was initially told that one of them shouldn't have been out there as they only had copies to rent, not sell. But, then the employee surprised me by saying he would just snag one of the rental copies for me. I was preparing to start down that road before he said that, so I was quite grateful he spared us both the debate.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']Pretty much how I'm feeling, my wallet needs a break.

Also, your avatar is actually exactly what my (sister's) cat looks like aside from the eyes (she has cataracts). Can't believe I didn't notice earlier.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well that picture is from when he was very young. Before he died last year (last July 1st, actually) he had cataracts too. Now his sister is very ill and dying of the same thing (kidney failure). Expect my picture to change here shortly...

[quote name='sadboy']Given her action, it would make sense if Medal of Honor was what she (or her kid) really wanted and the DS game was filler.[/QUOTE]

Well, yes, that was obvious. My point was that they passed up all the great deals to get some other stupid game (that they only found because it was in the B1G1 bin in the first place). The B1G1 prompted them to get that and another game but even when they found out they couldn't get the other game for free they still went with the "full price" used game instead of getting 2 other good games for less money total (they had a lot to choose from). That just wasn't very cheapassed IMO, but I've certainly seen worse at GS (kids wasting their money on other things).

As for the blu-ray sale, man, I am jealous of some of the hauls here. After taking my son to the dentist we hit up a store I thought might have the 99 cent blus but no luck. My wife ane I bought about 15 DVDs though. Then I asked the manager there if he heard if any stores in the area got the blus and he mentioned two. Annoyingly, these two are about as far from me as you can get and pretty much share the same area. So that sucks that they didn't spread them around a little bit more. They do the same thing with the video game prepacks - send them all to the same couple of stores in the same area.

But I convinced my wife that we should at least check out one of the stores so we went up there. We didn't get there until around 3pm and as I was going in some guy was coming out with 40+ blus... But still, I managed to get 15. There was nothing spectacular but I got a few I had passed up for the 5 for $20 deal so that was nice. I got that Red Cliff 1/2 thing that it seemed everyone here was buying. I have no idea whatsoever what that is but for 99 cents each I can give it a shot. Then I got some stupid romantic comedies that my wife and daughter will watch. I was surprised they even had some kids movies left over (Planet 51 which I bought as part of the 5/$20 along with Alvin and the Chipmunks and Open Season 3 - I didn't even know there was a second one!). Who knows what I could have gotten if I had been there at 10am but with my son getting fillings today that wasn't an option. The interesting thing was that this store had by far the absolute worst B1G1 video game selection. I stopped at two other stores today and they still had tons. I guess this store gets hit hard.

Do we have confirmation that the sale ends today? I might head out again tomorrow if the sale is still going.
Edit: What he said...

[quote name='sotc1988']Do we have confirmation that the sale ends today? I might head out again tomorrow if the sale is still going.
Edit: What he said...[/QUOTE]

For my area, yes. Today is the only/final day. Remaining stock will return to the 5.99 price tag and will likely be used for 7/4's sale.

Interesting tidbit, these transactions can be rang up in bulk. My pre-discount total was over 400$, then a giant list of 5.00 credits to make my total like $75.00 after tax.

FYI. I called a store tonight and they said that they are expecting to get the 99 cent Blu-rays in later in the week. I wonder if this is really true.

[quote name='TheHelix']Went to 3 BBVs today, no 99 cent Blus. One had 99 cent DVDs but nothing of interest to me. Game wise not much except for LP1 and Avatar. Also got a pirate sackboy and a half liter of Mexican coke.[/QUOTE]

I love Mexican Coke (cola lol) from a bottle. I think its got sugar in it and not corn syrup.

[quote name='PimpBot2000']The 99-cent blu-ray sale was epic for me. I picked up about 40 different Sony/Columbia Pictures blu's that are BD-Live enabled. You can register them online and get 100 points ($1) to your Sony Rewards account, basically making them free.[/QUOTE]

Dude! That is so funny...Thanks for the heads up! I got 14 of them from today. 40 BRs for 26 bucks! 50cent Sony redbox rentals! that's great.

Went to my closest BBV today to look for the 99cent dvd/blurays and the guys working there looked at me like I was nuts haha. (Was at the Pearl City, Hawaii location, does HawaiiBoy work in a Hawaii Store? maybe I should go to his haha)

[quote name='person123']Went to my closest BBV today to look for the 99cent dvd/blurays and the guys working there looked at me like I was nuts haha. (Was at the Pearl City, Hawaii location, does HawaiiBoy work in a Hawaii Store? maybe I should go to his haha)[/QUOTE]

I grew up in Waipahu...I have relatives in Pearl City!

Was my store the only one that had the really cheap DVDs out but not BRs? I can't imagine why corporate would send them DVDs and not BRs.

At least there seems to be another B1G1 on July 4th...hopefully Dead Rising 2 and some others will drop by then.

[quote name='JKSonic']Was my store the only one that had the really cheap DVDs out but not BRs? I can't imagine why corporate would send them DVDs and not BRs.

At least there seems to be another B1G1 on July 4th...hopefully Dead Rising 2 and some others will drop by then.[/QUOTE]
Don't feel bad. I called several stores to check, and all of them reacted as though I were crazy. I called, because I had gotten back from two Blockbusters, but didn't realize there was a $.99 Blu-ray sale until I checked the forum.

[quote name='io']Yeah, well that picture is from when he was very young. Before he died last year (last July 1st, actually) he had cataracts too. Now his sister is very ill and dying of the same thing (kidney failure). Expect my picture to change here shortly...

Well, yes, that was obvious. My point was that they passed up all the great deals to get some other stupid game (that they only found because it was in the B1G1 bin in the first place). The B1G1 prompted them to get that and another game but even when they found out they couldn't get the other game for free they still went with the "full price" used game instead of getting 2 other good games for less money total (they had a lot to choose from). That just wasn't very cheapassed IMO, but I've certainly seen worse at GS (kids wasting their money on other things).

As for the blu-ray sale, man, I am jealous of some of the hauls here. After taking my son to the dentist we hit up a store I thought might have the 99 cent blus but no luck. My wife ane I bought about 15 DVDs though. Then I asked the manager there if he heard if any stores in the area got the blus and he mentioned two. Annoyingly, these two are about as far from me as you can get and pretty much share the same area. So that sucks that they didn't spread them around a little bit more. They do the same thing with the video game prepacks - send them all to the same couple of stores in the same area.

But I convinced my wife that we should at least check out one of the stores so we went up there. We didn't get there until around 3pm and as I was going in some guy was coming out with 40+ blus... But still, I managed to get 15. There was nothing spectacular but I got a few I had passed up for the 5 for $20 deal so that was nice. I got that Red Cliff 1/2 thing that it seemed everyone here was buying. I have no idea whatsoever what that is but for 99 cents each I can give it a shot. Then I got some stupid romantic comedies that my wife and daughter will watch. I was surprised they even had some kids movies left over (Planet 51 which I bought as part of the 5/$20 along with Alvin and the Chipmunks and Open Season 3 - I didn't even know there was a second one!). Who knows what I could have gotten if I had been there at 10am but with my son getting fillings today that wasn't an option. The interesting thing was that this store had by far the absolute worst B1G1 video game selection. I stopped at two other stores today and they still had tons. I guess this store gets hit hard.[/QUOTE]

Dude, Red Cliff is one of the best movies I've seen over the last 5 years. I have the UK Region Free Single-disc special edition and have watched it a few times already. It's fantastic.

[quote name='hellbringer333']You are right. I felt bad afterwards. The only reason for the reaction was because it took me a while to find a pair of games. It was a ways away from my home so I was determined to get something. Then I get told this at the register. I probably would not have been so angry if he had not just told me I owed him 23$ for 17$ worth of games.[/QUOTE]

Feel bad? Forget that. How does the math even work on that? O_O

bread's done
Back