The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info HB, but do you know if any of the games will be dropping any further than they did last time you posted? It'd be nice if some of those 20$ games could drop to 15 to be eligible for this deal. Thanks.

but do you know if any of the games will be dropping any further than they did last time you posted?

read the 2nd line.

price drops happen on mondays so there is a chance for 1 more price drop on july 4 which would be the last day of the sale. i wont know til next saturday though.

eh, so if there's no game price drops then there's nothing to be had at my store, the only ones left are $20 and up.

any chance that my store that had .99 cent dvds but sent them all back the next day will be getting them back in for this sale?

[quote name='IronZombie']Thanks for the info HB, but do you know if any of the games will be dropping any further than they did last time you posted? It'd be nice if some of those 20$ games could drop to 15 to be eligible for this deal. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I think he said there was no more drop, but a B1G1 $15 or less games.

HB,
Thanks for the info. Hope they bring back the .99 blu ray sale.

any chance that my store that had .99 cent dvds but sent them all back the next day will be getting them back in for this sale?

possible. in our district all stores that had little or none were getting some from other stores that still had some. a few stores still had over 1000 pieces so they just spread it out amongst all the stores.

Ah my bad completely skimmed through that line I suppose. I guess I'll pick up whatever I can during the sale and maybe if I'm lucky a couple will drop on the last day of the sale. Thanks anyway.

Sweet. Hopefully some helpful CAGS will be posting their findings on the "real" prices for games. I find that the BBV in my neighborhood tend to have outdated price tags which can make things complicated. Supreme thanks goes to hawaiiboy as always for being a true CAG hero.

Do you have a list of games $14.99 under?

i'm not gonna type it out again but just go back to my original list around memorial day and there have only been i think 3 price drops since then which i posted to figure out what titles qualify

So far at my local BBV I saw the following price drops since the last sale:
StarWars Force Unleashed 2 - $14.99
Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 - $14.99
Transformers War For Cybertron - $14.99

Didn't have too much time to look through everything, was just in there for a moment.

[quote name='Teriana']So far at my local BBV I saw the following price drops since the last sale:

Didn't have too much time to look through everything, was just in there for a moment.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing these findings. I'll be scouting to see which stores have transformers. If I remember correctly, I think BBVs carry several copies of this title. Anyone know if I'm right about this? Anyway, I'll try doing some uber-1337 reconnaissance by looking for more game price drops when I'm driving around for the 5 for $20 blu ray sale.;) I doubt I'll find out anything that Hawaiiboy doesn't already post. :)

It sucks I just bought lego harry potter for $14.99 on an Amazon Lightning deal last Tuesday. I knew I should have waited for the B1G1 at BBV. I played through Sorcerer's Stone already. It's seems like a pretty good Lego game for not having "Star Wars" in the title. ;) Definitely worth $7.50 at BBV even if you're just a casual fan of the films.

I posted this in the DVD thread already, but thanks again to hawaiiboy for the list and updates.

[quote name='Teriana']So far at my local BBV I saw the following price drops since the last sale:

Didn't have too much time to look through everything, was just in there for a moment.[/QUOTE]

Which version of the Lego Harry Potter game is $14.99? Is it PS3, Xbox360, Wii &/or DS?

Since I'll be checking BBVs for some pre-viewed blu-rays, I'll post new drops here.

For those interested, these are the price drops since the last sale:

DS:
call of duty 4: modern warfare $9.99
chaotic $4.99
kingdom hearts re coded $14.99
legend of zelda phantom hourglass $9.99
simanimals $6.99
zubo $4.99

PS3:
bond quantum of solace $9.99
enemy territory $9.99
iron man 2 $9.99
lair $6.99
LBP $14.99
medal of honor $14.99
mlb 2k9 $6.99
motor storm $6.99
nhl 2k9 $4.99
skate $6.99
SWFU II $14.99
SSF IV $14.99
uncharted 2 $14.99
wanted $9.99

Xbox 360:
ben 10 alien force $6.99
command and conquer 3 $6.99
ff XIII $14.99
golden axe $6.99
guitar hero 3 $4.99
guitar hero 5 $9.99
guitar hero world tour $4.99
lego harry potter yrs 1-4 $14.99
lost planet $6.99
medal of honor $14.99
ninety nine nights 2 $14.99
overlord 2 $6.99
prince of persia $6.99
rockband $4.99
rockband 2 $6.99
star ocean last hope $6.99
SWFU II $14.99
super street fighter $14.99
transformers revenge $9.99
wwe smackdown 10 $9.99

Wii:
all star cheer squad $4.99
animal crossing city $9.99
battalion wars2 $9.99
bigs $6.99
blazing angels squadron $9.99
boom blox bash party $6.99
carnival games mini golf $6.99
crash mind over mutant $9.99
destroy all humans $6.99
drawn to life $6.99
guitar hero metallica $6.99
medal of honor vanguard $9.99
metroid prime 3 corruption $9.99
monopoly $14.99
prince of persia rival swords $9.99
rabbids go home $9.99
rayman raving rabbids $6.99
scooby doo first frights $6.99
star wars clone wars $6.99
star wars force unleashed $6.99
top spin 3 $4.99
wii music $6.99

I think there was a Transformers WfC at the one BBV, might grab it with SSF4 That would be sweet to grab. Also might grab a Singularity.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Definately looking for Uncharted 2 and Ninety Nine Nights 2.[/QUOTE]

Heck yes. Thanks KingofGames. I'll be looking for these and medal of honor and Final Fantasy XIII for $7.50 each.

Thanks for the news hawaiiboy. Probably won't buy as much this time around for B1G1, but at least there's another one for me to look forward to.

I think I'd like to get Force Unleashed 2, FF XIII, maybe Bad Company 2 and Lego Harry Potter. We'll see what my store has Friday...I'll be there when it opens so hopefully I can get my pick.

While I would sit here and claim that I can avoid this sale, I'll inevitably at least check our the stores near work and home, if only because I'll still be swapping out free Blu rentals.

@Readthepost - Thanks for the detailed answers you gave me regarding that slim PS3. I made it out to the same store and the box was still there. It turned out to be a display, so I asked to see the actual item. I was told they never carried the 120gb model and that Sony sends them random empty boxes for display purposes. I asked a worker to check the back to verify that they didn't have the advertised model and they refused, saying the computer system is too expensive to be wrong. In any case, I appreciate your aid.

Incidentally, since Blockbuster was purchased by Dish Network, I was wondering if the used game return policy remained intact. During previous B1G1 1/2 Off sales (excluding the Memorial Day one), after purchasing the games, the employee would always tell me I had 30 days to exchange it if there were problems. During the last one, no employee said this to me.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']B1G1 free is 7/1-7/4 and as usual its $14.99 and under. [/QUOTE]

AWESOME! I am going to be at the states on the 1st.. Perfect! Thanks HB for the post.

At my BBV, Skate 3 is $14.99 on PS3, but $19.99 on 360. If it's still the same on PS3, I'll be picking that up with Lego Harry Potter and maybe another go round.

Also eyeing some of the newly dropped $9.99 blus.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Those are the correct prices.

All platforms are $14.99 except ds which is $9.99[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks. The only sucky part is the PS3 one is in a generic taller case, but I can easily replace the case. The artwork and manual are all there. I just hope it's there when I go.

[quote name='thirdrose']Incidentally, since Blockbuster was purchased by Dish Network, I was wondering if the used game return policy remained intact. During previous B1G1 1/2 Off sales (excluding the Memorial Day one), after purchasing the games, the employee would always tell me I had 30 days to exchange it if there were problems. During the last one, no employee said this to me.[/QUOTE]

I had an issue with a scratched disc on a game I purchased during the last sale and I was able to exchange it with no problems. Most employees still told me I had 30 days to exchange.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']RE:Coded dropped to 14.99? Really? I thought it recently dropped to 19.99. Didnt know it counts for this sale now.[/QUOTE]
I saw this too. I'm going to try to get it and Animal Crossing Wild World during the sale.

[quote name='Tsel']Awesome, thanks. The only sucky part is the PS3 one is in a generic taller case, but I can easily replace the case. The artwork and manual are all there. I just hope it's there when I go.[/QUOTE]

When I find one like that I just switch cases with another one in the store. The employees are always very helpful as I like my games to be complete in original cases and not scratched all to Hell.

[quote name='Midnight Express']When I find one like that I just switch cases with another one in the store. The employees are always very helpful as I like my games to be complete in original cases and not scratched all to Hell.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even think of that. Great idea!

[quote name='hawaiiboy']The blu ray 5 for $20 sale runs from 7/1-7/4 not on 6/28 like I first posted.[/QUOTE]

What about the B1G1 sale? Is that Friday or Tuesday? Sorry if it's already been answered just want to be sure, thanks.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']we dont carry it in my store but i don't think it's gonna drop from $16.99 down to $9.99.[/QUOTE]

Any chance Toy Story 2 dropped? Noticed 1 and 3 on your list but not 2. Thanks!

[quote name='thirdrose']@Readthepost - Thanks for the detailed answers you gave me regarding that slim PS3. I made it out to the same store and the box was still there. It turned out to be a display, so I asked to see the actual item. I was told they never carried the 120gb model and that Sony sends them random empty boxes for display purposes. I asked a worker to check the back to verify that they didn't have the advertised model and they refused, saying the computer system is too expensive to be wrong. In any case, I appreciate your aid.

Incidentally, since Blockbuster was purchased by Dish Network, I was wondering if the used game return policy remained intact. During previous B1G1 1/2 Off sales (excluding the Memorial Day one), after purchasing the games, the employee would always tell me I had 30 days to exchange it if there were problems. During the last one, no employee said this to me.[/QUOTE]

No problem. And the employee is still wrong. BBV carried the 120GB (not all but if the display was there then they did)......the 160GB and 320GB was releashed about 1 year later so there is no way Sony would randomly send a 120GB display to sell the 160Gb or 320GB systems.

As for the return policy.....yes, still intact. They all said 30 days to exchange to me.

[quote name='wafflepacman']From the same post that he was referencing in the post you quoted:

B1G1 free is 7/1-7/4 and as usual its $14.99 and under.[/QUOTE]

Still, that's odd because their sales have always started on Tuesdays. Even the "Memorial Day" sale which was advertized as being Fri-Mon actually started on Tuesday.

So, Hawaiiboy, is this going to be the same where the B1G1 promo is actually in effect Tuesday but they won't put signage up until Friday, or did they actually modify something in the system to allow for a Friday start?

[quote name='io']Still, that's odd because their sales have always started on Tuesdays. Even the "Memorial Day" sale which was advertized as being Fri-Mon actually started on Tuesday.

So, Hawaiiboy, is this going to be the same where the B1G1 promo is actually in effect Tuesday but they won't put signage up until Friday, or did they actually modify something in the system to allow for a Friday start?[/QUOTE]
If this is the case, I'd like to know as well. Would be great if we CAGs could get some nice games before the hoarders see the signs.

Would have been nice if the sale started on Tuesday instead of Friday. My local blockbuster looked like it restocked on used titles. I remember seeing on the PS3 Haze for $9.99 and Star Wars the Force Unleashed II for $14.99

latest info i have is a friday start date for both the game and blu ray sale. nothing about it starting early like memorial day. i'll keep everyone updated if anything changes.

bread's done
Back