The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry HB, your simple statement was understood by most I'm sure. Some just want to over analyze and/or squeeze the deal for every penny of savings possible. Can't say I blame them for the latter part, bein a CAG and all :D

Thanks for all your hard work HB!!

And who knows, it's been a while since BBV allowed games over 14.99 into the sale, maybe it'll glitch and it will let you get a 39.99 game free with a 6.99 one :whee:

HB I don't think it was so much confusion as it was our cheap senses kicking in and wondering if some type of miracle deal was to be had because of the vague wording. No need to put us down lol we're not that stupid just curious if we have every aspect right.

Personally this kind of makes me want to buy either Dead Rising 2 or Mafia II since I can still get a free game with it. If only it worked with 20$ and under games.. then I'd have both! lol. Hmm... which one.. which one...

[quote name='romodome']fucking shit, so we do get a free ham sandwich with the purchase of any game $9.99 or less AND a free game $14.99 and above?[/QUOTE]

No, its very simple, the sandwich only applies with any game less than or equal to 9.99 unless the wind is blowing southwesterly, in which case you get $20 free and you must buy a $19.99 game to get three free games plus an additional $9.99 game unless it's a Monday, but the deal doesn't apply on days beginning with S or T unless you buy a $14.99 game. I mean what's so hard to understand here, people?

[quote name='dinovelvet']No, its very simple, the sandwich only applies with any game less than or equal to 9.99 unless the wind is blowing southwesterly, in which case you get $20 free and you must buy a $19.99 game to get three free games plus an additional $9.99 game unless it's a Monday, but the deal doesn't apply on days beginning with S or T unless you buy a $14.99 game. I mean what's so hard to understand here, people?[/QUOTE]

Do we get HDMI with the sandwich and the games?

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Do we get HDMI with the sandwich and the games?[/QUOTE]

This is my question as well.

[quote name='bgame2']Transformers WFC is 14.99 for ps3 and xbox?

Same question on Medal of Honor?[/QUOTE]

Apparently both versions of metal of honor are 14.99, solid game but broken multiplayer. Is the community still active for it btw ?

[quote name='LordSMVS']Are you at the one on Houston and Ave A? Every time I go there I have to scan everything I'm interested in and about half of it comes up at a different price than what the sticker says.[/QUOTE]

The one I go to is on 94 street on Broadway in manhattan. I feel your pain about the prices btw. You could see something that you want but its tag says 44 so you Stay away from it, but in reality it might be 20 and you loose out.

Man I can't wait.. just 2 more days until this sale starts. Only thing I can't decide is which one's worth getting, Dead Rising 2 or Mafia II.. Or should I completely bypass those and go for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood? I was in the mood for 15$ and under games I didn't want to have to purchase any 20$ games but I may have to now that this offer changed.

I have the first Dead Rising (got it when it first came out) and I thought it was pretty awesome but part of me has always wanted Mafia II (but then again I've heard it's really short) LOL such a dilemma. Screw it I'll just buy em both.

I'm going to get Mario galaxy 2 for 24.99 ( my blockbuster has plenty ) and get another for free with this sale. They run for 30 on amazon so ill be spending 24.99 to make 60 ! Profit is good :)

[quote name='strait edge follower']I'm going to get Mario galaxy 2 for 24.99 ( my blockbuster has plenty ) and get another for free with this sale. They run for 30 on amazon so ill be spending 24.99 to make 60 ! Profit is good :)[/QUOTE]

Doesn't sound like that's going to work. Free title has to be 14.99 and under from what HB has said.

[quote name='exopuppy']Doesn't sound like that's going to work. Free title has to be 14.99 and under from what HB has said.[/QUOTE]

I got it new revised plan, get galaxy 2 and then force unleased 2 for 360. It's 14.99 and the 360 version on amazon runs for 14. I'll do that insteed

[quote name='AXV1']I blame public schools!!![/QUOTE]

I didn't go to public schools ;).

But anyway, we'll see how this plays out. It seems like any time they try to do something different than the normal B1G1 $14.99 and under, there are "issues". Remember that one day that all the used games were 50% off? That was supposed to be another variation on the B1G1 - buy any game and get another 50% off. That wasn't as good as the normal B1G1, of course, until we found out that it made both games 50% off and applied to any price point ;).

So we'll see what happens Friday. As it is, I'm pretty much thinking of this as a standard B1G1 though perhaps there might be a game or two I grab at $19.99 if I can't find decent $14.99 pairings.

Id like to grab Transformers and Singularity (again) as well. Dont no how much Ill get into the sale, might go easy and call one to see if they have WfC

[quote name='io']I didn't go to public schools ;).

But anyway, we'll see how this plays out. It seems like any time they try to do something different than the normal B1G1 $14.99 and under, there are "issues". Remember that one day that all the used games were 50% off? That was supposed to be another variation on the B1G1 - buy any game and get another 50% off. That wasn't as good as the normal B1G1, of course, until we found out that it made both games 50% off and applied to any price point ;).
[/QUOTE]

I remember this. I definitely remember the look on the employee's face when they rang up all the games I bought. They looked at me like I hacked their machines or something. :lol:

[quote name='io']

So we'll see what happens Friday. As it is, I'm pretty much thinking of this as a standard B1G1 though perhaps there might be a game or two I grab at $19.99 if I can't find decent $14.99 pairings.[/QUOTE]

This is my strategy as well. Usually when I can't find a good pairing, I end up buying a game to trade in somewhere. I guess I don't have to do that this time. I can actually get a $19.99 game that I want to keep.

I don't want to go crazy and buy a bunch of games for $19.99 and then see them for $14.99 during the next B1G1 (assuming there is another B1G1). Furthermore, I'm more excited for the new drops on the 5 for 20 blu-ray deal, so I'll be spending enough cash on those as well.

I don't think this one has been mentioned in a while: donkey kong country $29.99.

Very pricey for a BBV purchase, but if you really want it bad, make sure it's scratch-free, and buy a $14.99 game you really want, it might be worth it. Donkey Kong Country+Uncharted 2 for $29.99+tax wouldn't be a bad deal.

[quote name='n0vak99']Does anyone know how much NCAA football 11 is for ps3? Can't find a copy near me[/QUOTE]

Also i would like to know the price for 360 too thanks

One more question, when did they $.99 BR started last time? Monday? cant remember

[quote name='io']It seems like any time they try to do something different than the normal B1G1 $14.99 and under, there are "issues". Remember that one day that all the used games were 50% off? [/QUOTE]

Boy, do I ever. Made out like a bandit that day.
I must've gone to 7 different Blockbusters. 5 of which are no longer there. To their credit, they honored the system price. I had some ring up all the games 50% off without question, some called their managers, but the managers always authorized it. I will be reading the east coast reports on this sale Friday morning with great interest.

When does this officially start ? is it this weekend ? or has it already started any help would greatly be appreciated THank You.

Sorry to ask this, but it's too hard to find anything in this thread:

Is there going to be an updated list of price drops, or is what we've seen what we're still getting?

Amusingly, one of the employees at BBV during the previous B1G1 sale said if he was in charge, he would do a deal where you buy any game and then you would get a $14.99 game for free. Maybe they promoted him to corporate or something ;)

[quote name='str8gamer23']When does this officially start ? is it this weekend ? or has it already started any help would greatly be appreciated THank You.[/QUOTE]

Friday

[quote name='IronZombie']I have the first Dead Rising (got it when it first came out) and I thought it was pretty awesome but part of me has always wanted Mafia II (but then again I've heard it's really short) LOL such a dilemma. Screw it I'll just buy em both.[/QUOTE]

Please get Mafia 2 if you were at all interested in the first one or you like those kind of games/films. I got it from the Amazon holiday sale last year for $12.50 and I just got around to playing it a few days ago. Took me about 14 hours to beat it but it was completely worth it. Without revealing any spoilers, great storyline, pretty good gameplay, and a pretty awesome environment. Definitely worth atleast $15 but you will probably end up getting it cheaper than that. Hope I convinced you!! :D

[quote name='PlowK1NG']Is black ops 34.99 or 44.99? I forgot the price.[/QUOTE]

$34.99 for PS3. Didn't see one for 360.

After scouting out the local store I think this sale is going to be a bust for me. Their higher priced games are overpriced for the most part. Their lower priced game selection is pretty thin due to the last B1G1.

Here's some prices I noticed:
:ps3: COD Black Ops - $34.99
:ps3: Ass Creed Brotherhood - $29.99
:ps3: Little Big Planet 2 - $44.99
:ps3: Red Dead - $24.99
:ps3: The Shoot - $24.99
:ps3: Splatterhouse - $24.99
:ps3: Call of Duty WAW - $14.99
:ps3: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 - $19.99
:wii: Super Mario Galaxy - $24.99
:360: Dead Rising 2 - $19.99
:360: Ass Creed Brotherhood - $19.99 (this one's tempting, but they had 15 copies)
:360: N3 II - $14.99
:360: MVC III - $34.99
:360: Medal of Honor - $14.99

[quote name='n0vak99']Does anyone know how much NCAA football 11 is for ps3? Can't find a copy near me[/QUOTE]
$19.99 for both Xbox360 and PS3, not sure if I want to buy used from BBV. The online code will most likely be used and you won't be able to play online or download the tuner patch.

[quote name='paradise2894']Please get Mafia 2 if you were at all interested in the first one or you like those kind of games/films. I got it from the Amazon holiday sale last year for $12.50 and I just got around to playing it a few days ago. Took me about 14 hours to beat it but it was completely worth it. Without revealing any spoilers, great storyline, pretty good gameplay, and a pretty awesome environment. Definitely worth atleast $15 but you will probably end up getting it cheaper than that. Hope I convinced you!! :D[/QUOTE]

I'm a huge sucker for Mafia movies and I really liked the first game so when I found out this was finally coming out 8 YEARS after the first game I got kind of excited. I played the demo and everything on my 360 and it seems solid, but last year when it came out I decided to hold out on it since I had school and everything. Now though from the looks of it the reviews are all pointing to a really short game. I don't mind this so much as long as the experience is awesome, but it has to be at the right price.

I've always told myself these kinds of short (but awesome) games are only worth about 15$ and under but seeing as how I can get a 15$ game with it, it kind of intrigues me. I'll see what my BBVs have in stock this weekend and maybe I can get away with a copy.

I'm waiting for a cheap used platinum hits copy of mafia 2 for 360 since the platinum/greatest hits version of mafia 2 for both consoles comes with the dlc. Can Whoever has played the ps3 version tell me if that version is as butchered as the reviews say ? Cause if not, I can get that one if I can't find a 360 one

So I guess we don't have a cohesive list of what's dropped since the last sale? Or a list of some of the newer games that are just over $15 (like DR 2)?

If so sorry, if not somebody get crackin! (j/k...well sort of)

Hmmm... I want to flip two copies of SMG2 to Amazon for $30 each, keeping the two $14.99 games that I would get free on each transaction. But the condition of Wii games from BBV is hit or miss, and Amazon is fairly strict, so I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.

I'll lock in my price now though.

[quote name='RanchLizard']Hmmm... I want to flip two copies of SMG2 to Amazon for $30 each, keeping the two $14.99 games that I would get free on each transaction. But the condition of Wii games from BBV is hit or miss, and Amazon is fairly strict, so I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.

I'll lock in my price now though.[/QUOTE]

You stole my idea lol, but insteed I'm going to flip both galaxy copys and two force unleashed 2 copys for a total of 88 $ ! That's a preorder and a half basically.

[quote name='JKSonic']So I guess we don't have a cohesive list of what's dropped since the last sale? Or a list of some of the newer games that are just over $15 (like DR 2)?

If so sorry, if not somebody get crackin! (j/k...well sort of)[/QUOTE]
It's been done. Read back a few pages or a few more.

[quote name='strait edge follower']You stole my idea lol, but insteed I'm going to flip both galaxy copys and two force unleashed 2 copys for a total of 88 $ ! That's a preorder and a half basically.[/QUOTE]

Barely worth the effort.

Worse if Amazon says your "good" condition mario's are actually "acceptable" and you only get $21 / copy.

Now you're going to be lucky to break even.

[quote name='daminion']Barely worth the effort.

Worse if Amazon says your "good" condition mario's are actually "acceptable" and you only get $21 / copy.

Now you're going to be lucky to break even.[/QUOTE]

$88 for $50 or so isn't shabby.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']$88 for $50 or so isn't shabby.[/QUOTE]

Your forgetting tax. Plus the chance that your good condition games may only be accepted as acceptable and if that's the case ( which for rentals of smg2 is likely) your just breaking even.

I dont see why a used game will be deemed as acceptable if you include the manual and cover art along with a working disc. Amazon is messing around with accessories and consoles but its unlikely they'll mess around with used games. Even with tax it will make it say $88 for ~$53, which isnt great but not bad at all.

[quote name='daminion']Your forgetting tax. Plus the chance that your good condition games may only be accepted as acceptable and if that's the case ( which for rentals of smg2 is likely) your just breaking even.[/QUOTE]

All the games I've traded in have been excepted as good condition for max value, I make Sure of that. The thing with my idea is that I'm turning my game preorder money into amazon gift card money to keep it separate from my debit card ( don't wanna end up spending my preorder money on something else so that's why I'm separating it ) I was going to buy a 50 dollar amazon card on Thursday but I saw this deal and decided to use the 50 dollars on the galaxy games to get 88 insteed of just sticking with the 50, instant profit for me

[quote name='arsenal_fan']I dont see why a used game will be deemed as acceptable if you include the manual and cover art along with a working disc. Amazon is messing around with accessories and consoles but its unlikely they'll mess around with used games. Even with tax it will make it say $88 for ~$53, which isnt great but not bad at all.[/QUOTE]

I wish you luck.

[quote name='KingofGames']For those interested, these are the price drops since the last sale:

DS:
call of duty 4: modern warfare $9.99
chaotic $4.99
kingdom hearts re coded $14.99
legend of zelda phantom hourglass $9.99
simanimals $6.99
zubo $4.99

PS3:
bond quantum of solace $9.99
enemy territory $9.99
iron man 2 $9.99
lair $6.99
LBP $14.99
medal of honor $14.99
mlb 2k9 $6.99
motor storm $6.99
nhl 2k9 $4.99
skate $6.99
SWFU II $14.99
SSF IV $14.99
uncharted 2 $14.99
wanted $9.99

Xbox 360:
ben 10 alien force $6.99
command and conquer 3 $6.99
ff XIII $14.99
golden axe $6.99
guitar hero 3 $4.99
guitar hero 5 $9.99
guitar hero world tour $4.99
lego harry potter yrs 1-4 $14.99
lost planet $6.99
medal of honor $14.99
ninety nine nights 2 $14.99
overlord 2 $6.99
prince of persia $6.99
rockband $4.99
rockband 2 $6.99
star ocean last hope $6.99
SWFU II $14.99
super street fighter $14.99
transformers revenge $9.99
wwe smackdown 10 $9.99

Wii:
all star cheer squad $4.99
animal crossing city $9.99
battalion wars2 $9.99
bigs $6.99
blazing angels squadron $9.99
boom blox bash party $6.99
carnival games mini golf $6.99
crash mind over mutant $9.99
destroy all humans $6.99
drawn to life $6.99
guitar hero metallica $6.99
medal of honor vanguard $9.99
metroid prime 3 corruption $9.99
monopoly $14.99
prince of persia rival swords $9.99
rabbids go home $9.99
rayman raving rabbids $6.99
scooby doo first frights $6.99
star wars clone wars $6.99
star wars force unleashed $6.99
top spin 3 $4.99
wii music $6.99[/QUOTE]

Ah there we go! Got lost in all the people speculating/arguing over what the new promo terms meant! Although I think we can add Transformers WFC, right?

[quote name='arsenal_fan']I dont see why a used game will be deemed as acceptable if you include the manual and cover art along with a working disc. Amazon is messing around with accessories and consoles but its unlikely they'll mess around with used games. Even with tax it will make it say $88 for ~$53, which isnt great but not bad at all.[/QUOTE]

...You might want to check the official Amazon trade-in thread. I imagine if you start from the beginning (or anywhere before the last 5-10 pages or so), you will see a lot of examples of when the trade-in service decides to be very picky.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']...You might want to check the official Amazon trade-in thread. I imagine if you start from the beginning (or anywhere before the last 5-10 pages or so), you will see a lot of examples of when the trade-in service decides to be very picky.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I wish you luck.[/QUOTE]

haha.I wont be flipping anything this holiday. As I said earlier a majority of the Amazon complaints have been on controllers, consoles TIV's. There have been a few disc cracked complaints but I think it is rare that they'll say your game is "acceptable" if you submit cover art, manual + working disc. Anyway, all I was saying is a potential $35 profit on $50 odd spent isnt bad.

I hope none of you folks hoping to flip games are anywhere near my area lol I actually wanna buy some of these games to play em and not to make a profit off them.

bread's done
Back