The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IronZombie']I hope none of you folks hoping to flip games are anywhere near my area lol I actually wanna buy some of these games to play em and not to make a profit off them.[/QUOTE]

I feel none of these games are really worth the effort to flip currently.

I will personally be going out for Uncharted 2 and SWFUII. Also, here is to hoping that Dead Rising 2 drops so I can get myself and a friend to co-op with a copy of the game!

[quote name='IronZombie']I hope none of you folks hoping to flip games are anywhere near my area lol I actually wanna buy some of these games to play em and not to make a profit off them.[/QUOTE]

If you can't find something Friday don't instantly blame flippers though. For example, I know (via computer stock check) that Uncharted 2 is already OOS (or more likely never in stock) at every BBV near me.

[quote name='io']If you can't find something Friday don't instantly blame flippers though. For example, I know (via computer stock check) that Uncharted 2 is already OOS (or more likely never in stock) at every BBV near me.[/QUOTE]

No, I know not to instantly blame anyone, I just know from what people have posted in the past that some of us here (most likely lurkers) go in and grab whatever's worth anything and leave the stock completely depleted. I'm not expecting much during the sale but I do have a few games in mind that I wouldn't mind having in my possession and if I walk into a BBV and find absolutely nothing there I think we can all guess what happened.

[quote name='BrolyB593']I feel none of these games are really worth the effort to flip currently.

I will personally be going out for Uncharted 2 and SWFUII. Also, here is to hoping that Dead Rising 2 drops so I can get myself and a friend to co-op with a copy of the game![/QUOTE]

Same here on SWTFUII, and since the 20$ games work with the sale I'll grab it with a copy of Dead Rising 2 or Mafia II depending on what they have. I'm not expecting much but I hope there's at least a couple of good games to have.

I don't think anything's worth flipping either. GS won't give you anything for your games and Best Buy's trade in values are pretty much on par with breaking even if you trade these games in. Given that tax is included in the sale I think most of us would lose out if we tried to flip. The only people hoping to flip here are the guys that are 1. getting MANY copies (which is why I hope there aren't any hoarders in my area) and 2. going the online route, which is much harder to sell games that way.

I think the best thing for all of us here is to just grab what we want to actually play at a decent price and stop worrying about making a buck off this. We're not running businesses here, we're just gamers lol.

has castlevania ecclesia (ds) dropped to $14.99 or lower since these sales began? it is not in the op but i know these sales have been going on for quite a bit longer.

It'd be nice if BBV's website was a little friendlier in checking their used game prices or whether the games are in stock at certain stores. Anyone know if this is possible?

[quote name='IronZombie']It'd be nice if BBV's website was a little friendlier in checking their used game prices or whether the games are in stock at certain stores. Anyone know if this is possible?[/QUOTE]
BBV employees can check the stock and prices at their computer. Additionally, they can see the stock for a limited number of nearby stores. Spend some time with your friendly BBV employees.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']haha.I wont be flipping anything this holiday. As I said earlier a majority of the Amazon complaints have been on controllers, consoles TIV's. There have been a few disc cracked complaints but I think it is rare that they'll say your game is "acceptable" if you submit cover art, manual + working disc. Anyway, all I was saying is a potential $35 profit on $50 odd spent isnt bad.[/QUOTE]

Before the two different condition tiers I've had games completely denied because the cover art was sun-faded, and because another game had some numbers written on the back that I forgot to scrub off (yes, two BBV purchases). Dig a little deeper and you'll find tons of similar stories. They are probably more lenient now with the two tiers but don't be surprised when you don't get full credit or even a return.

How do you check online for the stock of games available for sale? That would be very helpful, since the nearest stores to me are over 60 miles away. Thanks.

[quote name='io']If you can't find something Friday don't instantly blame flippers though. For example, I know (via computer stock check) that Uncharted 2 is already OOS (or more likely never in stock) at every BBV near me.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IronZombie'] I'm not expecting much during the sale but I do have a few games in mind that I wouldn't mind having in my possession and if I walk into a BBV and find absolutely nothing there I think we can all guess what happened.

[/QUOTE]
Yeah - the store probably didn't have shit in the first place - like my store which has 3 copies of Rock Revolution that I traded in and 50 copies of Fallout:NV... Oh - you meant flippers... Yeah. Keep believing that.

Will have to drop by the local BBV tomorrow then... thanks for the heads up HB! Last time the game selection at my store was crap, but oh well!

$19.99 titles in case anyone is interested.

:wii:
James bond 007: goldeneye
Legend of the guardians
Madden 11
Raving rabbids travel in time
Spiderman shattered dimensions

:ps3:
Battlefield bad co 2 (360 is $14.99)
Blur
COD modern warfare 2
Dead rising 2
Enslaved
Infamous
Just cause 2
James bond bloodstone
Mafia II
Mindjack
NCAA football 11
Transformers war for cybertron
Tron evolution
Move sports champions

:360:
Assassins creed brotherhood (ps3 is $24.99)
COD modern warfare 2
COD world at war
Dead rising 2
James bond bloodstone
Just cause 2
Mafia II
Mindjack
NCAA football 11
Tron evolution

Hmmm...first game has to be over $14.99, right? In that case, could pick up Bloodstone and/or Goldeneye. In case I have to choose between one or the other, anybody have recommendations between those two?

Spiderman is finally getting into the realm of buy price; about the only combo I could reasonably try to get is that plus Re: coded (never any DS games near me) or maybe FUII despite it's failings. $20 for the pair would still be a great deal.

[quote name='JStryke']Hmmm...first game has to be over $14.99, right? In that case, could pick up Bloodstone and/or Goldeneye. In case I have to choose between one or the other, anybody have recommendations between those two?[/QUOTE]

No, it's just that the first game CAN BE over $15... the second game, however, HAS to be under $15.

And thanks for the extended update HB! I know my store has plenty of the 19.99 and up games, so I just hope there's a few $15 ones left too. There was mostly on garbage in the last sale! If I would have known this one was coming so soon and it was going to be modified I would have left some of the games i bought last time to couple with a $20 game or two.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']$19.99 titles in case anyone is interested.

:wii:
James bond 007: goldeneye
Legend of the guardians
Madden 11
Raving rabbids travel in time

:ps3:
Battlefield bad co 2 (360 is $14.99)
Blur
COD modern warfare 2
Dead rising 2
Enslaved
Infamous
Just cause 2
James bond bloodstone
Mafia II
Mindjack
NCAA football 11
Transformers war for cybertron
Tron evolution
Move sports champions

:360:
Assassins creed brotherhood (ps3 is $24.99)
COD modern warfare 2
COD world at war
Dead rising 2
James bond bloodstone
Just cause 2
Mafia II
Mindjack
NCAA football 11
Tron evolution[/QUOTE]

You forgot metro 2033 :) on a side note the only reason im flipping is cause there isnt anything that i want at my blockbuster right now so i might as well make around 40 dollars profit

[quote name='JKSonic']No, it's just that the first game CAN BE over $15... the second game, however, HAS to be under $15.[/QUOTE]

That would explain my confusion then, thanks.

Yes, metro is $19.99. The list is only things that I have available in my store so I'm sure there are more $19.99 titles but they don't show up on my report.

has castlevania ecclesia (ds) dropped to $14.99 or lower since these sales began? it is not in the op but i know these sales have been going on for quite a bit longer.

It's $4.99 if u can find it but good luck in finding it.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Yes, metro is $19.99. The list is only things that I have available in my store so I'm sure there are more $19.99 titles but they don't show up on my report.[/QUOTE]

Cool whatever you find keep im postigo them

Well just because you don't have any interest in them dosent mean others don't. Anyways back on topic, do you need to make mulltiple tranactions or is it one per transaction?

[quote name='Lyricsborn']Well just because you don't have any interest in them dosent mean others don't. Anyways back on topic, do you need to make mulltiple tranactions or is it one per transaction?[/QUOTE]

I think its one per transaction

[quote name='Lyricsborn']Well just because you don't have any interest in them dosent mean others don't. Anyways back on topic, do you need to make mulltiple tranactions or is it one per transaction?[/QUOTE]

Most employees will pair them and subtotal after each pair of games. Of course, you can always run into the store that takes your neat, even piles... and mixes them up (ringing them up together and making your 14.99 pair with 4.99 games). Either way, one transaction should be fine unless you want to absolutely ensure you get the right games paired and have a wild set of stuff ranging from 4.99 to 14.99

[quote name='strait edge follower']I think its one per transaction[/QUOTE]

I've noticed that you like to answer questions without really having any knowledge on the subject. Carry on.

[quote name='strait edge follower']This sale starts tommorow right ?[/QUOTE]

Tuesday. (I can do it too)

[quote name='dino88']I've noticed that you like to answer questions without really having any knowledge on the subject. Carry on.

Tuesday. (I can do it too)[/QUOTE]
Are you sure that this sale starts on Tuesday July 5th? The person who made this thread said july 4th weekend meaning July 1st - July 3rd or July 2nd - July 3rd.

[quote name='Jestifex']Are you sure that this sale starts on Tuesday July 5th? The person who made this thread said july 4th weekend meaning July 1st - July 3rd or July 2nd - July 3rd.[/QUOTE]

He was being sarcastic. It starts tomorrow.

[quote name='strait edge follower']You forgot metro 2033 :) on a side note the only reason im flipping is cause there isnt anything that i want at my blockbuster right now so i might as well make around 40 dollars profit[/QUOTE]

OK. What games are you flipping exactly?

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']OK. What games are you flipping exactly?[/QUOTE]

2 Mario galaxys and two force unleashed 2 for 360. Im using my 50 dollars that i was going to use on a Amazon gift card that was going into my acount for this insted. Should get me 88 credits and i have it locked in on amazon already

[quote name='PapaSmerf']BBV employees can check the stock and prices at their computer. Additionally, they can see the stock for a limited number of nearby stores. Spend some time with your friendly BBV employees.[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea.. unfortunately the only person I know that works at a BBV is this girl I talk to whenever I'm there. I don't have her number or anything so it'd be pointless to ask now if the sale is starting tomorrow. Maybe I'll get that number tomorrow for future purposes ;)

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Yeah - the store probably didn't have shit in the first place - like my store which has 3 copies of Rock Revolution that I traded in and 50 copies of Fallout:NV... Oh - you meant flippers... Yeah. Keep believing that.[/QUOTE]

Quite a lot of hostility I'm sensing here.. especially to a post that was not even directed at you. The fact is, the stores I usually go to have plenty of games (and some decent ones at that) so if I walk in tomorrow and there isn't a single copy left.. guess what, the flipping flippers probably took it. It's a shame that your store only has 50 copies of Fallout but hey, not every BBV is the same. You keep believing whatever you want to and I'll believe what I want to. K? Thanks for your words of enlightnment and for defending hoarders, although it seems somewhat suspicious that you would.

[quote name='dino88']I've noticed that you like to answer questions without really having any knowledge on the subject. Carry on.

Tuesday. (I can do it too)[/QUOTE]

Ever since i joined this site you seem to worry about everything i say, why is that ? Anyway good luck to everyone here tommorow :)

[quote name='strait edge follower']Ever since i joined this site you seem to worry about everything i say, why is that ? Anyway good luck to everyone here tommorow :)[/QUOTE]

Don't mind people hating lol I find it crazes people when a good deal presents itself. I imagine a lot of the CAGs here are foaming at the mouth with red eyes right now just waiting for tomorrow.

Good luck everyone. I just hope I can get in and out and get what I need tomorrow and the hoarders can ravage the stores afterwards. :booty:

Just for clarification though, the store opens at 10am right?

[quote name='strait edge follower']2 Mario galaxys and two force unleashed 2 for 360. Im using my 50 dollars that i was going to use on a Amazon gift card that was going into my acount for this insted. Should get me 88 credits and i have it locked in on amazon already[/QUOTE]

I do hope that you've already spotted some SMG2 at a local BBV and are there first thing tomorrow morning. If you're thinking you'll find some, you might be a bit disappointed.

[quote name='mcthatch']I do hope that you've already spotted some SMG2 at a local BBV and are there first thing tomorrow morning. If you're thinking you'll find some, you might be a bit disappointed.[/QUOTE]

Dont worry, mine has 6 Mario galaxy 2's and 4 force unleashed 2's in stock plus i Live a block away from it so im good

bread's done
Back